Keep Barron at WLB, move Ogletree to MLB, put Laurinaitis at SLB in 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Draft a MLB. Keep 'Tree at WLB. Keep Barron as our hybrid safety, he more effective there than at LB. Keep JL, as a backup. He still has value as a leader and mentor.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Not sure he would be any better. Currently he is smaller than JL, and that's my fear of having another MLB who gets washed out by interior lineman on run plays. IMO, we need a real thumper who can take on big lineman and play down hill at a fast and furious pace. We need another linebacker with the attitude like former Ram London Fletcher.

Smaller than J Lau? He's like an inch shorter and damn near the same weight. He'd be built a littler tankier being an inch shorter. Also, since you want a guy like London, height won't matter to you :sneaky:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Ogletree as a MLB? I don't know. That position, particularly in Gregg Williams' defense, requires just a ton of intelligence and the ability to diagnose an offense. Not saying Tree's not smart or anything. Just saying that playing MLB in Williams' 4-3 takes much more than just athleticism and the ability to tackle.
Which means, for now, JL's Job is safe! there's no one on the Team that could do it better, and it would take more than one season to work in a New MLB. JMHO

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Smaller than J Lau? He's like an inch shorter and damn near the same weight. He'd be built a littler tankier being an inch shorter. Also, since you want a guy like London, height won't matter to you :sneaky:
You replied before I could edit my post once I mentioned London. :LOL: I guess size really doesn't matter from a height standpoint, I just want someone who plays with a fierce desire in the middle. Give me a MLB who plays like Aaron Donald and I could care less if he's 5'0."

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
You replied before I could edit my post once I mentioned London. :LOL: I guess size really doesn't matter from a height standpoint, I just want someone who plays with a fierce desire in the middle. Give me a MLB who plays like Aaron Donald and I could care less if he's 5'0."

Yea, I know what you mean. But Scooby isn't small. He's 2 inches shorter than Luke Kuechly and 10 lbs. heavier. I've seen a lot of people compare him to Chris Borland.

Irish

Starter
Draft a MLB. Keep 'Tree at WLB. Keep Barron as our hybrid safety, he more effective there than at LB. Keep JL, as a backup. He still has value as a leader and mentor.

Not for 6.1 Million. That is almost a whole Jeff Fisher!

No, you shake his hand, thank him for his service on the worst team maybe ever, and let him test Free Agency. When no one signs him to play a position he wants for a contract he feels he deserves, he can come back and sign with us for a much lower number as a backup.

Scholarships have to end if this team is going to take the next step. Bradford was a good first step. But the core of Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, Rodger Saffold, and Jared Cook needs to be blown up and replaced with replacement level or above talent at much lower salaries.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Yea, I know what you mean. But Scooby isn't small. He's 2 inches shorter than Luke Kuechly and 10 lbs. heavier. I've seen a lot of people compare him to Chris Borland.
Don't get me wrong, I like Scooby. I've watched quite a few of his games and love the way he plays. If he is available in the 2nd-3rd round, I'd take him.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Not for 6.1 Million. That is almost a whole Jeff Fisher!

No, you shake his hand, thank him for his service on the worst team maybe ever, and let him test Free Agency. When no one signs him to play a position he wants for a contract he feels he deserves, he can come back and sign with us for a much lower number as a backup.

Scholarships have to end if this team is going to take the next step. Bradford was a good first step. But the core of Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, Rodger Saffold, and Jared Cook needs to be blown up and replaced with replacement level or above talent at much lower salaries.
I wasn't focusing on $, but yeah. Fix his contract, but keep him. I agree on the others. Maybe keep Cook at a much lower salary.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I've seen a lot of people compare him to Chris Borland
Which is a bad thing in my opinion since our system is totally different and that type (great motor, great when unblocked, bad physically shedding blocks and stuffing the point of attack) is exactly what's *not* needed to replace JL in our scheme. Ogletree would also be a bad choice for MLB. He often makes an incorrect first read that takes him out of position, but is able to make up for it with his superior athleticism. I think that's good for where he is now but not for MLB. I am a huge JL fan and thought last season was the product of his injury and he had a couple seasons left in the tank still, but this season has simply continued his decline and I agree with those saying it's time to replace him now.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
We have to keep Barron. You don't let impact player walk when they can play three different positions at a high level for you. Not unless your hand is forced. Ours isn't. If we have to cut JL55 to keep Barron in the fold so be it. Injuries happen every year. A guy as versatile and effective as Barron is invaluable. He won't be cheap to retain but he shouldn't cost the moon and the stars, either - he has only had one season in this league that could be fairly described as very good to excellent. No other system fits him better. Barron likely knows this.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Most of you are underestimating the intelligence and level of understanding JL has on this defense. Seeing him check the QBs audibles is great. A rookie MLB won't be able to handle that responsibility right away. Draft our MLB, Im cool with that. But IMO JL stays another year so we can transition and properly develop our new young MLB.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
We need to lock up Barron immediately - he's just such a difference maker out there - I like him way better than Ogletree at this point
But if he walks it won't be a disaster cause we have Mo Alexander who should be able to fit that role just as well - man did Mo look good last night

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Most of you are underestimating the intelligence and level of understanding JL has on this defense. Seeing him check the QBs audibles is great. A rookie MLB won't be able to handle that responsibility right away. Draft our MLB, Im cool with that. But IMO JL stays another year so we can transition and properly develop our new young MLB.

I agree. I you are correct in that we need to draft his replacement and develop the next guy. JL's responsibilities to this defense are not unlike a QB's resposnibilities to an offense. I can agree with those that have seen some phyiscal slippage, but at the same time, his position is not one where you can simply draft the best athlete and throw him in there and expect the same or better results.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hmmmm.....this is so strange to me.... I have had a problem with JL55's play for 3 years.... I wanted Stephone Anthony last year. I want that guy from Notre Dame THIS year....but not as much as a QB....Maybe grab the MLB in the firsts...QB/WR in the second...decisions decisions.....
I think Tree can play middle...I think Bates/Lynch can play middle too....I think we need to move Barron to his more natural role of SS...We get killed by power running teams....The only thing is...we still have Mcleod on the field at FS....hmmm decisions....
Draft LB, that kid at Bama is good too...Let Tree call defense from will....Keep Ayers on the field more...cut JL if he doesn't restructure contract. CLong too...Move Barron to SS....Move TJ to FS....don't re-sign McLeod....thats a tough one...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If you are lucky enough to resign Barron it will cost. If you pay big you play him big. If you are paying big you do not plan to play him at a part-time or mixture of post. You make him your starter either @ strong safety where he has had mixed results or play him up close at OLB'er where he is a true impact player. Bottom line you sign Mark Barron he is your starter @ OLB'er. Barron needs to be on the field as much as possible. Problem.....costly!

Ogletree could play MLB'er but he is all pro OSLB'er. That should shut down any thoughts of moving him inside. Tree should be on the field every play the defense is.

Not really smart to keep JL and play him the approx 13 million the next two season & let Barron depart because you can not afford to pay him. JL is NOT close to a impact player in comparison to Barron & Tree (who will be a UFA in 2017). I would look hard at JL release. issue there is you will have to run a much less complicated less dynamic defense. Gregg will be unhappy.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would sign Barron and stick him at MLB. He would play more like Fletcher in the middle, with penetration to his gap using speed. What you lose with JL is the coach on the field but the addition of sideline-to-sideline coverage and chase ability makes it a wash.

Ogletree is much better at chasing vice beating blocks. I'd keep him weakside where he belongs.

IMO if JL were to go down with injury the above is what Williams would do. JL's cap figure means he's a goner, just like Long. It sucks because I love both players but barring contract extensions with much lower cap figures the business of the NFL is gonna dictate.

If the Rams can manage to find a good MLB or even SLB type dude in this draft as BPA at a given pick so be it. But QB comes first, to ensure they have that piece in place even if he needs a year before he starts. This draft is about offense and the QB position in particular, as top priority IMO. There will be DEs that are very, very tempting to Fish, as well as some DBs that he loves to draft high. But he has to suck it up, sign one of our FA CBs if necessary, and focus the F out of this offense starting with the signal caller.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
You think Ogletree can be that guy? We have two very good WLB in Barron and Ogletree now.

Ideally we play Ogletree at will as is his strength and Barron as the big nickel where he had also excelled. This means we have two positions strong rather than one. That leaves us with Sam and Mike. I don't think JL55 would be any better at SLB. In fact I think he'd be awful there. So Ayers retains it and we must target MLB as a position that must be upgraded in the offseason.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you think jl can't shed a block you haven't seen tree. Tree likes to run around blocks plus he misses alot of tackles cuz he doesn't wrap up.

I think this is valid.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
JL physically can't play at a high level anymore. He had a very good game against Arizona, but that is the only time this year that he looked capable IMO. He must be a cap casualty. He is not "the worst LB in the league", but his salary is an albatross around the neck of this team. Use the savings from him and Long to work on JJ and Tru. It is time to take them to a farm out in the country where they can run and play.