Keenum and Goff: Discuss making change at QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ram007

Starter
Oh, there'd be changes, for sure... but it'd be mostly on the coaching staff... and I'd be fine with that if it's the right HC.

I'm not saying this team is uber-talented, but it ain't the team Spags inherited. There's a lot to work with IMO.

Except for Gurley they may have to rebuild the entire offense. Yeah, if Goff is good he would be playing by now. Defense wise they have 6 solid starters for any system. They will keep the punter. May be 3 others. We will see and hope I am really wrong.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That article does a great job of summing up the way I feel about it. Fish isn't ready to do it, though, because his job is on the line.

But whatever, at some point here real soon the ownership will alleviate him of his job and whoever takes the helm will be tasked with demonstrating a future. Hopefully he'll be wise enough to cook things up around the kid and ride his arm to some more points and wins.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I would like to caution that firing Fisher likely will not sovle any problems. See Titans after Fisher for reference.
Fisher's players are good in only his system. With exception of 8-9 players, this 53 man roster will be gutted by a new head coach. With few draft picks, the future is bleak either way.

Doomed if we don't. Doomed if we do

It's not like the Titans were a well run franchise (INB4 "The Rams aren't well run either). The Titans also tried to replace Fisher with Whisenhunt who was just an awful choice. Now they got Mularky who was even worse as a head coach when he was in Jacksonville.

We aren't doomed by going to a new coach. We are doomed by sticking with a man who has proven to be unable to coach a winning team.

It may or may not be an immediate fix, but firing Fisher is an absolute necessity. Fisher has nothing left to give this franchise.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Except for Gurley they may have to rebuild the entire offense. Yeah, if Goff is good he would be playing by now. Defense wise they have 6 solid starters for any system. They will keep the punter. May be 3 others. We will see and hope I am really wrong.

I disagree Mr. Bond.

Gurley might not be a Hall of Fame RB, but he's a good back who can do the job plus win some games for you behind a good line. Tavon isn't the #1 receiver every team covets, but he is a piece a top passing offense would covet with his game breaking ability. Goff was a highly rated QB for a reason in the last draft. The line has plenty of youth and depth, they could use another piece or two but some of those guys are going to be fine.

The offense does not need a full rebuild. Just a FA addition at wideout, addition of a seasoned OL, and an offensive staff that can coach the kid up. There are some really nice pieces in place on offense, and that is what any hot offensive coordinator type is going to see when he looks at the Rams' roster.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Just changing QBs will achieve nothing. They also need to fix running game, receiver drops, O-line and play calling. Zeroing on just QB is plain wrong.
I disagree...Not only that, if a more accurate QB starts these last two games moving the ball and gets us in the endzone, we'd have won our last two games.
Yeah we have drops...problems moving on the ground, but we have receivers open every week...and chances to take early advantages and Case is constantly missing targets, throwing late to open receivers (subjecting them to hard hits in the process), and bumbling around in the pocket, running into sacks or getting his passes tipped. He's not the worst in QBR because he's playing great. He's playing pretty bad, ensuring either a tight game or a loss...Just on the countless missed opportunities early in these games.

Look, drops happen...We threw the ball 53 times, then 46 yesterday. Last two games. The games are in Cases hands, and he's losing games.

A good QB wins every game we've played this year. It's like we're playing with a known deficiency, but instead of people giving us a pat on the back for the effort, we're getting kicked in the teeth for the 5th straight year...

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I would like to caution that firing Fisher likely will not sovle any problems. See Titans after Fisher for reference.
Fisher's players are good in only his system. With exception of 8-9 players, this 53 man roster will be gutted by a new head coach. With few draft picks, the future is bleak either way.

Doomed if we don't. Doomed if we do

We cannot move forward with Fisher, because Fisher cannot get the offense moving forward. His mishandling of the QB situation this year is symptomatic of that, and it is consistent with his history as a head coach.

Sometimes not taking a risk is the biggest risk of all. Avoiding risk by retaining Fisher is such a situation now.

Oh, there'd be changes, for sure... but it'd be mostly on the coaching staff... and I'd be fine with that if it's the right HC.

I'm not saying this team is uber-talented, but it ain't the team Spags inherited. There's a lot to work with IMO.

Heck, I'd be fine with just replacing Fisher and most of the offensive staff. I'd consider keeping Groh, who has seemed to have taken a formerly moribund WR corps and got them playing at least decent football. Britt has had a decent season, and Quick looks to be significantly improved.

Boudreau seems to have lost his touch. I simply find it baffling that you have 5 offensive linemen starting, all of whom played last year and virtually all of whom have regressed in at least one area relative to last year ... not to mention that the whole unit has regressed badly in terms of run blocking. And when I watch the line, it just appears to me what they are trying to do with these guys is a bad fit for their specific talents.

Boras is supposed to be in charge of the run game, and the fact that it has regressed so badly is a reflection on him as much as it is on Boudreau.

On defense, I'd be more than happy to retain the whole staff from Williams on down (although Brandon Fisher would probably be a goner).

I disagree Mr. Bond.

Gurley might not be a Hall of Fame RB, but he's a good back who can do the job plus win some games for you behind a good line. Tavon isn't the #1 receiver every team covets, but he is a piece a top passing offense would covet with his game breaking ability. Goff was a highly rated QB for a reason in the last draft. The line has plenty of youth and depth, they could use another piece or two but some of those guys are going to be fine.

The offense does not need a full rebuild. Just a FA addition at wideout, addition of a seasoned OL, and an offensive staff that can coach the kid up. There are some really nice pieces in place on offense, and that is what any hot offensive coordinator type is going to see when he looks at the Rams' roster.

I agree with this (Merlin's point) about a kajillion percent. I think even with the roster as it currently stands, a good offensive staff could have gotten much more production out of it, enough to put the offense somewhere near the middle of the pack in the NFL. If this offense was somewhere in the middle instead of scraping the bottom - again!! - this team is probably 6-2, 5-3 at worst considering what we have on defense.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Fresh take.
I'll even go as far as awarding him...
upload_2016-11-7_11-10-13.jpeg

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
hope I am really wrong.
You are.Don't mean that to sound assholey.
I just believe that the talent we have on offense would be a lot better
with a competent Staff.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fresh take.

it's the only take. there's no other take to give. that's why we've heard it over and over again for the last 6 months. the most irritating part is fisher knows it more than anyone because he traded up to #1 to take goff. you don't do that if you think you can win with case. yet here we are. "case gives us the best chance to win", "this loss isn't on case". meanwhile the rams have the worst offense in the league.

truly perplexing.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Goff unlikely to play until Rams fall from contention
Print
  • 0ap1000000222748.jpg
  • By Chris Wesseling
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Nov. 7, 2016 at 05:17 p.m.
  • Updated: Nov. 7, 2016 at 05:36 p.m.

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morning-football/0ap3000000735446/Rapoport-Goff-won-t-start-until-Rams-fall-out-of-playoff-contention

The Los Angeles faithful's "We want Goff!" chants are falling on deaf ears.

Appearing on Monday's edition of Good Morning Football, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported the Rams have no plans to make a quarterback change as long as the postseason remains a possibility.

"My understanding of the Rams quarterback situation," Rapoport said, "is that they're not going to make a switch -- barring some sort of epic collapse by Case Keenum -- until they fall out of playoff contention."

NFL Network's Steve Wyche echoed that sentiment, reporting on NFL Network's Up to the Minute Live that the Rams simply don't believe Jared Goff is ready to play.

That comes as no surprise to anyone who witnessed an overwhelmed Goff in August. Although the draft's No. 1 overall draft pick has begun handling a portion of first-team practice reps, he still has a ways to go after failing to process quickly pre-snap and struggling to deal with the speed of NFL defenses post-snap in preseason action.

As the 3-5 Rams embark on a Week 10 showdown with the Jets, they are operating under the belief that Keenum is their best quarterback. They also believe, per Wyche, that the rest of the offense isn't functioning at a high-enough level to support the raw rookie.

Until the offensive line begins opening holes for Todd Gurley in the NFL's 30th-ranked rushing attack, the quarterback will continue to shoulder too much of the offensive load. The coaching staff knows they can't ask Goff to throw roughly 50 times per week -- as Keenum has the past two games.

As frustrating as it is, Rams fans will be asked to exercise an increasing level of patience.

Keenum tossed four interceptions in London and went more than six quarters across two games without scoring a point. If that doesn't qualify as the epic collapse necessary to instigate a changing of the guard, an already disappointing season is going to have to take a turn for the worse before we see Goff under center.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ikely-to-play-until-rams-fall-from-contention

Last edited:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Falling out of contention could be 2 or 3 games away so there is that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
4 of next 6 games on the road, so there shouldn't be any "We want Goff" chants going on there

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

so you move up to the top spot to take goff because you know you can't win with case. then you lose with case but won't start goff until there's no chance to make the playoffs? brilliant.

please someone shoot me now.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
In other words Goff will start when Fisher is fired. I don't see him lasting much longer once we're eliminated because of his stupidity.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Per Adam Schefter:
Rams' HC Jeff Fisher said Case Keenum will start Sunday vs Jets. Wait for Goff continues.

The nightmare continues.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's laughable at this point . Nothing we can do about it .