Keenum and Goff: Discuss making change at QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
og94vx-b88834101z.120161106190926000gpgjt1l5.10.jpg

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/rams-734561-fisher-goff.html

LOS ANGELES – The Rams being back in Hollywood and all, it seems only appropriate to tie their current situation into the essential elements of script writing and movie making.

Specifically, Rule No. 1.

Every spoken line and scene must be written, constructed and acted in a way that moves the story forward.

Any line or scene that isn’t advancing the story, no matter how clever or entertaining or cinematically brilliant it might be, is a complete waste of time and needs to be immediately cut.

You’ve got 90 minutes and 110 pages to tell your story. So make everything count.

Which brings us back to Jeff Fisher and Case Keenum and Jared Goff and how the Rams are clinging to ego and false hope while letting another season circle the drain.

Even when an opportunity to cease wasting precious time and thrust this franchise forward is so close and obvious that most of the 86,109 paying customers at the Coliseum not only saw it Sunday, they loudly and emphatically pleaded with Fisher to reach out and seize it.

“We want Goff. We want Goff,” their chants echoed across the stadium, their frustrated voices urging Fisher to finally make the switch from Keenum to Goff at quarterback and salvage a lost season into something worthwhile and productive and meaningful.

You know, as in move the story forward by expediting the development of Goff to better set him and the Rams up for next season and beyond.

Only for the stubborn Fisher to say he didn’t hear the fans’ chants after the Rams dropped their fourth straight game Sunday, and along with it any legitimate hope of winning their division and making the playoffs.

Right.

Sure he didn’t.

Anyway, the hows and whys of Sunday’s loss were agonizingly predictable and by now almost laughingly pointless.

The Rams defense delivered another performance worthy of a victory and a game ball while holding Cam Newton and the powerful Carolina Panthers to one touchdown and 13 points.

The problem – recurring as it is – was Keenum and the offense stumbled about for much of the afternoon and scored only 10 points.

Spoiler alert: This isn’t an indictment on Keenum, a tough, hard-nosed kid who’s playing his guts out right now.

So, urging Fisher and the Rams to make the move from Keenum to Goff is in no way laying the blame for another frustrating season at the feet of Keenum.

A point Fisher continually misses when rationalizing the decision to stick with Keenum by insisting his play isn’t to blame for the Rams 3-5 record.

“Case is not the reason we lost this game today,” Fisher said.

On that, everyone actually agrees. And that makes it even more bloodcurdlingly baffling when Fisher continually references it when defending his reluctance to at least consider a quarterback change.

“I don’t think Case’s play today was indicative of raising that question,” Fisher said, missing the point as usual.

This isn’t about Keenum and how big a piece of the blame pie he deserves.

It’s about saving a season from complete failure before it’s too late.

Makimg the switch to Goff right now makes this season relevant and purposeful.

Maybe in an extraordinary way. But absolutely in a worthwhile way.

When the Rams made the move up from 15th in last April’s draft to No. 1, they made it clear they didn’t play their way into the top pick – i.e. lose their way – they strategically moved up from a position of strength.

The theory being, they were fairly strong across the roster and by improving the quarterback position they could elevate the team as a whole.

In Goff they saw such a quarterback.

And even if he wasn’t ready to take the field to start the season – and he wasn’t – they were comfortable Keenum could move the team forward as a game manager.

That was important with Fisher entering the final year of his contract and likely needing to move the Rams beyond the 7-9 teams they’ve continually been under him to keep his job.

The later hasn’t happened, obviously. The Rams are once again staring down the barrel of another mediocre season. Fisher’s future with the team could be in jeopardy as a result.

Nevertheless, if the Rams still believe in the team they’ve built around the quarterback, why stick with the guy who isn’t raising the bar when the quarterback taken first overall might?

Isn’t that reason enough to give Goff a chance, the possibility he might immediately play like a first overall pick and turn the Rams’ season around?

But even if Goff struggles as rookie quarterbacks inevitably do, there is future value in him playing and learning and developing in actual games.

Even if the Rams lose every game from here on out with Goff at the helm, he’d begin next season better off for the experience.

So too will the Rams.

It’s amazing that 86,000 fans can see that.

But the head coach either can’t or won’t.

ram007

Starter
Just changing QBs will achieve nothing. They also need to fix running game, receiver drops, O-line and play calling. Zeroing on just QB is plain wrong. Better off not writing these type of articles. Just useless.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Just changing QBs will achieve nothing. They also need to fix running game, receiver drops, O-line and play calling. Zeroing on just QB is plain wrong. Better off not writing these type of articles. Just useless.

If you read the article, the author didn't put all the problems on Keenum, i.e. didn't "[zero] in on just QB." Instead, the gist of his argument is that getting Goff some reps now has future value for this team. I find it hard to argue that sticking with Keenum at this point has much in the way of the same kind of value when he clearly is not the future.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I always imagine Fisher drawing up an offense in some dark cave some where, using crushed berries to paint on stone walls. He runs through the play with a stick and grunts his way through every phase.

You would need Anne Sullivan to teach him how an offense should operate in the modern age.

So yeah, Fisher could change quarterbacks and that might help the team, but you know what would really help the team? If Fisher was exiled to Elba.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Crazy thing is (imo) the more we lose the less likely he will feel he needs to play goff. fisher doesn't seem like the kinda guy that gets pressured into a decision or wants people to believe that pressure forced him into something

Ram65

Legend
Someone has to say/write what most everyone is thinking. No one knows what would happen with Goff in the game. We do know that he has to get his feet wet sometime. Now would be a good time to set things up for next year. Goff could infuse the offense with his throwing skills this year. If he doesn't at least he get game time experience.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
If you read the article, the author didn't put all the problems on Keenum, i.e. didn't "[zero] in on just QB." Instead, the gist of his argument is that getting Goff some reps now has future value for this team. I find it hard to argue that sticking with Keenum at this point has much in the way of the same kind of value when he clearly is not the future.

I agree and there are actually QBs in the league that make other players better. Putting in Goff could also open up the playbook because there are throws that Goff can make and Keenum just cant.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
While I agree this type of article is "Useless" I would like to add my 2 cents!;)
* It did appear Gurrrley really started to get it going, I think they should have used Benny more!
* The Dropped Balls where A Killer in this game! Especially when Kendricks Dropped a sure TD!:palm:
* Our O-Line, IMHO, held up better than the Panther O-Line. Compare Keenum's Passing yards and times he was sack to Newton's!(y)
* Except for costing us a valuable Time out, Our "D" Played Great! But it takes more to WIN Games! :homercrawl:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
100% agree.

I think it makes sense to put Goff in and get him started on his way to an NFL career.

But, make no mistake about it... this team has other holes in it.

By year five, having almost complete autonomy to make personnel decisions and seeing this inconsistent product on the field... well, it's very easy to see what has to change.

ram007

Starter
While I agree this type of article is "Useless" I would like to add my 2 cents!;)
* It did appear Gurrrley really started to get it going, I think they should have used Benny more!
* The Dropped Balls where A Killer in this game! Especially when Kendricks Dropped a sure TD!:palm:
* Our O-Line, IMHO, held up better than the Panther O-Line. Compare Keenum's Passing yards and times he was sack to Newton's!(y)
* Except for costing us a valuable Time out, Our "D" Played Great! But it takes more to WIN Games! :homercrawl:

*Gurley should be benched for Benny. Gurley is missing some holes, not great as a blocker/blitz picker as Benny is. And Rams are not playing Gurley in game critical situations in the final few minutes. Also Benny appears to playing better than Gurley all season. Again this is a temporary change for this season.

* Besides Kendricks drops, six other passes were dropped

*o-line improvement is a mirage. Most of the yards for Keenum came when Panthers switched to soft zone defense after 10 point lead. Also the 9 game sample is bad to average o-line play at best

*D is good.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Its just time to move on from Fisher! Everything that Fisher stands for he has yet to produce. He wants a power running game we don't have that. He wants a top 10 defense. Truthfully we don't have that, we have the pieces to be a top 10. At times we see it other times we don't. The O line was suppose to be a strength and that hasn't happened. Its just frustrating to watch.

Fisher and his guys have had every opportunity to fix this situation. To me its time to cut ties and move on. Get a younger coach or a veteran in here that can turn this around quickly its not like starting from ground zero we have a lot of good pieces. We need someone who can get this team to play sound discipline good football.

ram007

Starter
I would like to caution that firing Fisher likely will not sovle any problems. See Titans after Fisher for reference.
Fisher's players are good in only his system. With exception of 8-9 players, this 53 man roster will be gutted by a new head coach. With few draft picks, the future is bleak either way.

Doomed if we don't. Doomed if we do

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would like to caution that firing Fisher likely will not sovle any problems. See Titans after Fisher for reference.
Fisher's players are good in only his system. With exception of 8-9 players, this 53 man roster will be gutted by a new head coach. With few draft picks, the future is bleak either way.

Doomed if we don't. Doomed if we do
Not necessarily... Fisher likes "athletes"... not at all sure these players are tied to a "system" or that they can't adapt to a new system.

I think the new coach would see the talent on the roster... and it wouldn't result in a gutting.

What this team needs is better coaching... game plans, strategies, discipline, game time decisions... etc.

Not an all out housecleaning of the roster.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
* Besides Kendricks drops, six other passes were dropped
I may be wrong but I was under the impression only 5 passes, total, where dropped!?! Please correct me if I'm wrong!

ram007

Starter
Not necessarily... Fisher likes "athletes"... not at all sure these players are tied to a "system" or that they can't adapt to a new system.

I think the new coach would see the talent on the roster... and it wouldn't result in a gutting.

What this team needs is better coaching... game plans, strategies, discipline, game time decisions... etc.

Not an all out housecleaning of the roster.

you may be right. I am just preparing for the worst before things get better in a few years

Ellard80

Legend
I think that Fisher has an exact plan for Goff... let's hope it was to start the last half of the season.

I don't know exactly.... but it's time to throw him in there.

It might be rough.. but it's past time.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you may be right. I am just preparing for the worst before things get better in a few years
Oh, there'd be changes, for sure... but it'd be mostly on the coaching staff... and I'd be fine with that if it's the right HC.

I'm not saying this team is uber-talented, but it ain't the team Spags inherited. There's a lot to work with IMO.

Ajb44

Rookie
Name
Alex
I want whoever runs the offense of the Falcons because damn is it pretty to watch them play throw the ball around.