JT: Deadline for 5th Yr. Option on Brockers/Barron is May 3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
i doubt it, especially if he doesn't take a pay cut.. I See Ayers or someone in the draft as his replacement

I think Ayers is competing with JoLonn at the SLB
And the role that Barron is that hybrid position Fish and Williams keep fiending for (Mo Alexander),
That's Barron's job to fill

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Surely, S/F were aware of Barron's contract when they made the trade.

I'm certain that they factored it into their long term plans.

Demoff, for one, is always thinking 3 moves ahead when it comes to salary matters, don't you think?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Absolutely for Brockers. He does exactly what he's asked. Take up blockers and let Quinn and Donald penetrate.

No way for Barron. For 8.3 million he'd need to be an every down player who's as good in pass coverage as he on the LOS. I like him, but not at that price.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
realax. they'll both be extended if this regime has the smarts most of us believe they do. just fix the goddamn line and we're good

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Absolutely for Brockers. He does exactly what he's asked. Take up blockers and let Quinn and Donald penetrate.

No way for Barron. For 8.3 million he'd need to be an every down player who's as good in pass coverage as he on the LOS. I like him, but not at that price.
no way. you don't give up two draft picks for Barron just to toss him aside after completely changing our defense philosophy into a big nickel package that thrived the second half of the season under Williams with Barrons influence. if you believe they would discard him that quick after giving up so much then i would assume you think Snisher isn't the smartest front office duo.and FYI he wasn't always on the LOS he dropped into coverage plenty and was the joker that opposing offenses weren't sure what he was doing half the time. barron will play more than Ayers. Ayers will be a run play substitue and i think Barron will see the field much more often especially if this team starts getting leads forcing opposing teams to throw more.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
From PFT
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ifth-year-options-for-2012-first-round-picks/
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 9, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
300x-391.jpg
Reuters
NFL teams are now deciding whether or not to pick up the fifth-year options on 2012 first-round draft picks. Here’s a rundown of where each team stands:

ALREADY PICKED UP
The Colts have announced the obvious, they will pick up the option and pay first overall pickAndrew Luck $16.2 million in 2016.

The Chargers have picked up the $7.8 million option on linebacker Melvin Ingram.

The Steelers have picked up the $8.1 million option on guard David DeCastro.

WILL BE PICKED UP

The Rams will pick up the $6.1 million option on defensive tackle Michael Brockers.

CLOSE CALLS

The most interesting decision on the board is whether Washington will pick up the $16.2 million option on Robert Griffin III. Fifth-year options are guaranteed for injury, and given Griffin’s injury history, it seems unlikely that Washington would give him that kind of money with an injury guarantee.

The Vikings will probably pick up the $11.1 million option on left tackle Matt Kalil, although he was a disappointment last season and has had a knee injury, so that won’t be an easy decision.

The Cowboys will probably not pick up the $11.1 million option on cornerbackMorris Claiborne, given that injuries have forced him to miss most of the last two seasons.

The Rams have a decision to make on safety Mark Barron, who was drafted by the Buccaneers but has since been traded to St. Louis. Barron probably hasn’t played well enough to justify an $8.3 million option.

WON’T BE PICKED UP

The Bears aren’t likely to pick up the option on Shea McClellin, who has been a disappointment.

The Packers probably won’t pick up the option on Nick Perry, who has mostly been a backup in his three years in Green Bay.

Doug Martin looked like a star in the making during his rookie year in Tampa, but a lot has changed since then and the new brass doesn’t seem enamored with him. He’s a long shot to have his option picked up.

NO DECISION TO MAKE

Neither of the Browns’ 2012 first-round picks have fifth-year options to pick up:Trent Richardson was traded to the Colts, cut and signed by the Raiders, whileBrandon Weeden was cut by the Browns and signed by the Cowboys.

The 49ers’ first-round pick, A.J. Jenkins, was a major disappointment and is now out of the NFL.

The Giants’ first-round pick, David Wilson, retired because of a neck injury.

The Jaguars’ first-round pick, Justin Blackmon had his contract put on hold when he was suspended for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy. It’s unclear when or if the Jaguars will get Blackmon back, but it will be at least another year before they would have a fifth-year option decision to make.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cut out a lot of the article but left some of the disappointments in to cheer me up. I get a kick out of the AJ Jenkins pick. It's sad to hear about David Wilson.

I love the way Ram Fans complain about Quick & Pead when SF 49ers draft AJ Jenkins & RB from Oregon the same draft.
Richardson was not a bad UDFA that year either,followed with Bennie the next year as a UDFA.
Props to Snead & Rams scouts....

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
no way. you don't give up two draft picks for Barron just to toss him aside after completely changing our defense philosophy into a big nickel package that thrived the second half of the season under Williams with Barrons influence. if you believe they would discard him that quick after giving up so much then i would assume you think Snisher isn't the smartest front office duo.and FYI he wasn't always on the LOS he dropped into coverage plenty and was the joker that opposing offenses weren't sure what he was doing half the time. barron will play more than Ayers. Ayers will be a run play substitue and i think Barron will see the field much more often especially if this team starts getting leads forcing opposing teams to throw more.

Barron is not the greatest pass defender, it's part of why TB traded him. I don't think 8.3 million is a reasonable price for him. I think Snead traded for him with a new long term deal in mind, I'm not sure they intend to pay that.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Barron should be solid,but he would really need to increase his playing time to deserve that salary.
TJ McDonald is of more value.
Will see what happens with Rodney as well.Tru & JJ both are already in there last year of contract

iced

I think Ayers is competing with JoLonn at the SLB
And the role that Barron is that hybrid position Fish and Williams keep fiending for (Mo Alexander),
That's Barron's job to fill

I don't think so because when Barron came in, he essentially took Dunbars spot - Dunbars snaps dropped with Barrons spiking... I see ayers filling the same role - up near the LOS, occasional blitzer

the Rams didn't feel that strongly about this upcoming draft class for safeties. remember reading a couple of times that's how Fisher felt

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_9692fa6b-0269-5ae0-9335-ed1029689c9c.html
One other factor to be considered in the trade for Barron: The 2015 draft does not look strong at the safety position. At this point, the feeling by some at Rams Park is that there may not be a safety of Barron’s caliber available in the ’15 draft.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

While Colts exercise 5th-year option on QB Andrew Luck, Rams have yet to decide whether to do so for DT Michael Brockers and S Mark Barron. Deadline to do so is May 3.

Somehow, I hope the Rams can keep both players!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Barron is not the greatest pass defender, it's part of why TB traded him. I don't think 8.3 million is a reasonable price for him. I think Snead traded for him with a new long term deal in mind, I'm not sure they intend to pay that.

It's not that Barron is really bad necessarily, it's that he's bad for what they used him for. Deep zones with a lot of over the top coverage. That's not his game. Put him man to man with TEs and some WRs, and he's pretty good. If you play to his strengths (something Lovie isn't good at), he can be very very good.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It's not that Barron is really bad necessarily, it's that he's bad for what they used him for. Deep zones with a lot of over the top coverage. That's not his game. Put him man to man with TEs and some WRs, and he's pretty good. If you play to his strengths (something Lovie isn't good at), he can be very very good.

I do think he is good, I like what he brings. I just don't like him for 8.3m a year.

lockdnram21

Legend
I don't think so because when Barron came in, he essentially took Dunbars spot - Dunbars snaps dropped with Barrons spiking... I see ayers filling the same role - up near the LOS, occasional blitzer
It wasn't because if safeties is was because of depth overall in draft

the Rams didn't feel that strongly about this upcoming draft class for safeties. remember reading a couple of times that's how Fisher felt

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_9692fa6b-0269-5ae0-9335-ed1029689c9c.html

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Seems like the Rams FO is as unimpressed with Brockers as I am. Having said that, they still need to exercise that option IMO.

As for Barron, I don't have an opinion. It will be interesting to see what the rest of you think about him.
I'd like to hear your opinion on Brockers. I think he's been a cog for us in the middle and part of the reason why we were so good at stopping the run the second half(obviously Donald was a bigger part). If you're looking for splash plays, you won't get them from Brockers.

iced

It wasn't because if safeties is was because of depth overall in draft

Not so sure about that
One other factor to be considered in the trade for Barron: The 2015 draft does not look strong at the safety position. At this point, the feeling by some at Rams Park is that there may not be a safety of Barron’s caliber available in the ’15 draft.

Forgot the Rams also had lost Mccleod and Cody Davis at Safety to injury as well...but they were comfortable giving up 2 picks because of the lack of safety available in the upcoming draft

Greg Stone

Rookie
Brockers is another Ryan Pickett. I don't think the current Rams management is as blinded by stats as the folks who let Pickett walk.

8.3 million for a one year part-timer we gave up two draft choices for? Casts a little doubt on my first point.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Brockers is another Ryan Pickett. I don't think the current Rams management is as blinded by stats as the folks who let Pickett walk.

8.3 million for a one year part-timer we gave up two draft choices for? Casts a little doubt on my first point.

Brockers is much better than Pickett. Let's not forget that Brockers has already had 11.5 sacks in three years: two more than Pickett has had in his career.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
If Mo Alexander comes around they may not need Barron next year, I know Fisher really likes the kid.