JT: Deadline for 5th Yr. Option on Brockers/Barron is May 3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

While Colts exercise 5th-year option on QB Andrew Luck, Rams have yet to decide whether to do so for DT Michael Brockers and S Mark Barron. Deadline to do so is May 3.

TD2

UDFA
I wonder if they have yet to decide or if they just have not done it? I doubt if JT knows. It would be more accurate to say the Rams have yet to announce their intentions.

iced

brockers is a no brainer, barron i would wait until the draft to decide on

Alan

Legend
Seems like the Rams FO is as unimpressed with Brockers as I am. Having said that, they still need to exercise that option IMO.

As for Barron, I don't have an opinion. It will be interesting to see what the rest of you think about him.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
From PFT
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ifth-year-options-for-2012-first-round-picks/
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 9, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
300x-391.jpg
Reuters
NFL teams are now deciding whether or not to pick up the fifth-year options on 2012 first-round draft picks. Here’s a rundown of where each team stands:

ALREADY PICKED UP
The Colts have announced the obvious, they will pick up the option and pay first overall pickAndrew Luck $16.2 million in 2016.

The Chargers have picked up the $7.8 million option on linebacker Melvin Ingram.

The Steelers have picked up the $8.1 million option on guard David DeCastro.

WILL BE PICKED UP

The Rams will pick up the $6.1 million option on defensive tackle Michael Brockers.

CLOSE CALLS

The most interesting decision on the board is whether Washington will pick up the $16.2 million option on Robert Griffin III. Fifth-year options are guaranteed for injury, and given Griffin’s injury history, it seems unlikely that Washington would give him that kind of money with an injury guarantee.

The Vikings will probably pick up the $11.1 million option on left tackle Matt Kalil, although he was a disappointment last season and has had a knee injury, so that won’t be an easy decision.

The Cowboys will probably not pick up the $11.1 million option on cornerbackMorris Claiborne, given that injuries have forced him to miss most of the last two seasons.

The Rams have a decision to make on safety Mark Barron, who was drafted by the Buccaneers but has since been traded to St. Louis. Barron probably hasn’t played well enough to justify an $8.3 million option.

WON’T BE PICKED UP

The Bears aren’t likely to pick up the option on Shea McClellin, who has been a disappointment.

The Packers probably won’t pick up the option on Nick Perry, who has mostly been a backup in his three years in Green Bay.

Doug Martin looked like a star in the making during his rookie year in Tampa, but a lot has changed since then and the new brass doesn’t seem enamored with him. He’s a long shot to have his option picked up.

NO DECISION TO MAKE

Neither of the Browns’ 2012 first-round picks have fifth-year options to pick up:Trent Richardson was traded to the Colts, cut and signed by the Raiders, whileBrandon Weeden was cut by the Browns and signed by the Cowboys.

The 49ers’ first-round pick, A.J. Jenkins, was a major disappointment and is now out of the NFL.

The Giants’ first-round pick, David Wilson, retired because of a neck injury.

The Jaguars’ first-round pick, Justin Blackmon had his contract put on hold when he was suspended for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy. It’s unclear when or if the Jaguars will get Blackmon back, but it will be at least another year before they would have a fifth-year option decision to make.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cut out a lot of the article but left some of the disappointments in to cheer me up. I get a kick out of the AJ Jenkins pick. It's sad to hear about David Wilson.

Alan

Legend
At $8.3 million I seriously doubt the Rams exercise that option on Barron.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul

I think we only got a little taste of what Barron can be. Hopefully the team has a better idea of what Barron is than we do.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
brockers is a no brainer, barron i would wait until the draft to decide on
Brockers is a no brainer, I would have said so is Barron, But I don't know about paying him 8.3 Million! Maybe if there's some way of getting that down, say 4 Million + an incentive package! IDK if that's possible!

Stel

Starter
At $8.3 million I seriously doubt the Rams exercise that option on Barron.

Agree. Given the attitude they've had about safeties in the past, I have a hard time seeing them pay one $8.3 million for a year. There are only 4 safeties in the entire league operating under contracts with average compensation of $8.3 million or more, and only four with a projected cap number of $8.3 million or more for the 2016 season.

I think they'll exercise Brockers' option and try to work out a multiyear deal with Barron.

iced

Brockers is a no brainer, I would have said so is Barron, But I don't know about paying him 8.3 Million! Maybe if there's some way of getting that down, say 4 Million + an incentive package! IDK if that's possible!

I knew his would be high. I doubt they pay that for a sub package player

jjab360

Legend
Didn't realize Barron's option was for 8.3 million, seriously doubt they pick that up.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Barron better start....wouldn't even consider the option....Brockers, naw....offer a new deal..see what he wants, if not move on....

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
They damn well better pick up those options. They let Wells, Long, and Chris Williams waste all that time on their team; no reason why they shouldn't pick up those options for next year. I'd rather work out multi-year deals to let them both stay as Rams for a while; Brockers is criminally-underrated throughout the NFL, and Barron changed our defense for the better when he came in.

Alan

Legend
Dieter the Brock liking Barron:
Baron is gonna be huge for us next year
As a situational pass rusher? The Bucs and I disagree but maybe the Rams think you know what you're talking about.
46 games with 5 sacks. Although 3 of those came in 9 games with the Rams so...