Jrry32 The Return of the Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This would be so excellent for the Rams.

I don't see the Martellus Bennet signing though. . . Did I miss something?

Nope. That was a copy and paste error.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
No love at all. Don't see Coker being a NFL starter. Prescott looks like a backup/spot starter type to me. The only two guys I think stand middling chance of being NFL starters are Cardale Jones and Jacoby Brissett. And both guys need to sit if they are going to develop into starters. Which doesn't help us.

I'd rather have Boyd. I rate him higher.
Brissett wasn't bad today, one of the better also rans. He drew some praise from Kurt Warner. BTW, I'd love Jones, or Benjamin, the only two FA's at WR that I covet.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Solid FA and draft that would definitely improve the team overall.

I was disappointed with Lynch's showing in the bowl game this year, I want to see them stepping up in those big game situations. He does look athletic, moves well for a taller guy, developing footwork and needs to work on accuracy. Easily carries 244 could add a few more pounds.

Stave I thought looked pretty good in the drills but I don't know anything about him.

I was surprised how slow the WR class is this year and there were a few drops by the WRs I was also disappointed with. Boyd looks like he might be able to add some muscle and already has the look of someone the Rams are in great need of. Should be a plug and play guy not another give him a couple of years to develop player.

M Bennett would be an interesting pick up he did drop off last year and missed 5 games. What kind of contract of you see him getting

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brissett wasn't bad today, one of the better also rans. He drew some praise from Kurt Warner. BTW, I'd love Jones, or Benjamin, the only two FA's at WR that I covet.

Brissett has the tools and is Big Ben like in how difficult he is to sack but he needs to do a lot of developing in the lower half (when he is forced off his spot, he doesn't do a good job of resetting and his accuracy goes out the window) and he has to speed up mentally. Misses open WRs and can lock onto guys at times.

I'm with you on the WRs. Those are the two guys I'd pursue.

@blackbart
Bennett was a mistake. Replace him with Kendricks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Solid FA and draft that would definitely improve the team overall.

I was disappointed with Lynch's showing in the bowl game this year, I want to see them stepping up in those big game situations. He does look athletic, moves well for a taller guy, developing footwork and needs to work on accuracy. Easily carries 244 could add a few more pounds.

Stave I thought looked pretty good in the drills but I don't know anything about him.

I was surprised how slow the WR class is this year and there were a few drops by the WRs I was also disappointed with. Boyd looks like he might be able to add some muscle and already has the look of someone the Rams are in great need of. Should be a plug and play guy not another give him a couple of years to develop player.

M Bennett would be an interesting pick up he did drop off last year and missed 5 games. What kind of contract of you see him getting
Stave, the last two years, he had more INT's than TD's, but he's also the winningest QB at Wisconsin, I think. He spun it OK today.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Brissett has the tools and is Big Ben like in how difficult he is to sack but he needs to do a lot of developing in the lower half (when he is forced off his spot, he doesn't do a good job of resetting and his accuracy goes out the window) and he has to speed up mentally. Misses open WRs and can lock onto guys at times.

I'm with you on the WRs. Those are the two guys I'd pursue.

@blackbart
Bennett was a mistake. Replace him with Kendricks.
On Brissett, he just doesn't have the processor speed. Not sure if he will ever get it, but in a workout setting, he shows well for himself. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but doesn't take a lot of risks either.

WvuIN02

Starter
Pretty nice mock, Ive been pretty vocal about my love of Boyd even if he is a Pitt guy (yech). I'd much rather see Wentz if somehow he fell to the Rams, Lynch's footwork at the combine did not look in the same universe as either Wentz or to a smaller extent, Goff, who would be my pick personally of the three.

Biggest issue with your mock is I dont think it is realistic at all for the Rams cutting Foles, I cant see Fisher taking that kind of egg on his face even though I would love to be wrong about that.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Please no Stave. I appreciate what he did for Wisconsin, but he is not an NFL QB. Not as a backup, and sure as hell not as a starter. He should, and probably will, go undrafted.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Biggest issue with your mock is I dont think it is realistic at all for the Rams cutting Foles, I cant see Fisher taking that kind of egg on his face even though I would love to be wrong about that.

Can't keep 4 QBs. Who does Foles stay over...Keenum or Mannion? IMO, neither. I think he's gone.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Foles will be traded to Philly. Just use him to recoup that round 5 pick and call it done.

WvuIN02

Starter
Can't keep 4 QBs. Who does Foles stay over...Keenum or Mannion? IMO, neither. I think he's gone.

I hope you're right, it would be a huge slice of humble pie to cut the guy after giving him that contract.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope you're right, it would be a huge slice of humble pie to cut the guy after giving him that contract.

They benched him for Keenum after giving him the contract. Not sure how they could keep him. I think the only reason why they haven't released him yet is the hope that they can trade him.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They benched him for Keenum after giving him the contract. Not sure how they could keep him. I think the only reason why they haven't released him yet is the hope that they can trade him.

There is zero reason to release him yet. His roster bonus is guaranteed, his salary isn't. They are going to want to carry 4 QBs into training camp anyway. Until they resign Keenum AND either trade for, draft, or sign another QB, they will keep Foles, unless they can trade him to the Eagles or another team.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is zero reason to release him yet. His roster bonus is guaranteed, his salary isn't. They are going to want to carry 4 QBs into training camp anyway. Until they resign Keenum AND either trade for, draft, or sign another QB, they will keep Foles, unless they can trade him to the Eagles or another team.

No reason to carry Foles into camp. Only so many reps to go around. He doesn't need to be taking reps from a rookie or Mannion or Keenum. If they bring a 4th guy into camp, it should be a camp body type that won't get many if any reps. We'd be doing Foles a disservice by treating him like that.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No reason to carry Foles into camp. Only so many reps to go around. He doesn't need to be taking reps from a rookie or Mannion or Keenum. If they bring a 4th guy into camp, it should be a camp body type that won't get many if any reps. We'd be doing Foles a disservice by treating him like that.

And if somebody gets injured?

While we all doubt Foles, for good reason, the thing is he looked like an acceptable back up guy at least until that spear against Green Bay. Will he recover physically and mentally? I don't know, and neither do you. For that matter, neither does Fisher and Snead. Cutting him before they need to in favor of a camp body would not be in the Rams' interest. And frankly, he gets paid enough for little enough production that the Rams' interest takes precedence.

Like I said, if another team is actually interested enough in him to trade something for his $1.75 million salary (which is small for a backup vet QB) then the Rams will gladly do so. I'm sure Snead would even trade him for a future late rounder, probably conditional. e.g. a 2017 7th that becomes a 6th if he plays 100 snaps or something like that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if somebody gets injured?

While we all doubt Foles, for good reason, the thing is he looked like an acceptable back up guy at least until that spear against Green Bay. Will he recover physically and mentally? I don't know, and neither do you. For that matter, neither does Fisher and Snead. Cutting him before they need to in favor of a camp body would not be in the Rams' interest. And frankly, he gets paid enough for little enough production that the Rams' interest takes precedence.

Like I said, if another team is actually interested enough in him to trade something for his $1.75 million salary (which is small for a backup vet QB) then the Rams will gladly do so. I'm sure Snead would even trade him for a future late rounder, probably conditional. e.g. a 2017 7th that becomes a 6th if he plays 100 snaps or something like that.

If somebody gets injured, we have 3 QBs other than Foles. Some teams don't even carry 3 QBs during the season.

We'd be doing Foles a major disservice by sticking him as our 4th QB during TC. Because he'd have next to no chance to make the roster during the regular season, would get very few reps during Camp and the Preseason, and he'd miss out on the chance to learn another team's scheme over the off-season/Training Camp.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If somebody gets injured, we have 3 QBs other than Foles. Some teams don't even carry 3 QBs during the season.

We'd be doing Foles a major disservice by sticking him as our 4th QB during TC. Because he'd have next to no chance to make the roster during the regular season, would get very few reps during Camp and the Preseason, and he'd miss out on the chance to learn another team's scheme over the off-season/Training Camp.

Poor math. The Rams would only have 3 QBs after injury and after cutting Foles IF the Rams sign, trade for or draft 2 QBs. And I've said that the Rams would have 4 QBs heading into camp, not 4 plus Foles. If and when the Rams get 2 more QBs then Foles' status is open to change. But until they actually add those two more QBs this offseason, they won't cut Foles. And frankly, the two QBs can't just be camp bodies - but either vets or significant rookies. I can't see Fisher counting on a camp body to be second string after an injury. And if the Rams cut Foles needlessly, then if Keenum has a preseason ACL tear then Mannion with all of one quarter of play is the most experienced QB on the roster.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Poor math. The Rams would only have 3 QBs after injury and after cutting Foles IF the Rams sign, trade for or draft 2 QBs. And I've said that the Rams would have 4 QBs heading into camp, not 4 plus Foles. If and when the Rams get 2 more QBs then Foles' status is open to change. But until they actually add those two more QBs this offseason, they won't cut Foles. And frankly, the two QBs can't just be camp bodies - but either vets or significant rookies. I can't see Fisher counting on a camp body to be second string after an injury. And if the Rams cut Foles needlessly, then if Keenum has a preseason ACL tear then Mannion with all of one quarter of play is the most experienced QB on the roster.

It's not poor math, just poorly explained. What I'm saying is that if (and it better be when), the Rams draft a top QB this off-season, they'll have 4 QBs counting Foles. If they cut Foles, that gives them 3 QBs. Which means if one QB suffers an injury, they still had 3 QBs not counting Foles so they're not in a bad situation. If the rookie QB gets injured, it leaves them with Mannion and Keenum who were already presumably above Foles in the pecking order. If Mannion or Keenum suffers an injury, it leaves them with the Rookie and Mannion or Keenum. Again, both of whom were presumably above Foles in the pecking order. So with an injury, Foles would still only be the #3 QB. And many teams don't carry #3 QBs. So it would be overkill to keep Foles in case one of your QBs got injured so he could be a #3 QB. It would also be a major disservice to Foles.

I have no problem with Mannion being the most experienced QB on the roster. I don't want a QB that played like garbage because he's experienced. Neither Keenum nor Foles should be the guy we plan on starting going into next season.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not poor math, just poorly explained. What I'm saying is that if (and it better be when), the Rams draft a top QB this off-season, they'll have 4 QBs counting Foles. If they cut Foles, that gives them 3 QBs. Which means if one QB suffers an injury, they still had 3 QBs not counting Foles so they're not in a bad situation. If the rookie QB gets injured, it leaves them with Mannion and Keenum who were already presumably above Foles in the pecking order. If Mannion or Keenum suffers an injury, it leaves them with the Rookie and Mannion or Keenum. Again, both of whom were presumably above Foles in the pecking order. So with an injury, Foles would still only be the #3 QB. And many teams don't carry #3 QBs. So it would be overkill to keep Foles in case one of your QBs got injured so he could be a #3 QB. It would also be a major disservice to Foles.

I have no problem with Mannion being the most experienced QB on the roster. I don't want a QB that played like garbage because he's experienced. Neither Keenum nor Foles should be the guy we plan on starting going into next season.

Let's put it this way. Until the Rams actually get better players on the roster, why should they cut him? He signed a contract with a huge amount of guaranteed money. Good for him, it's enough that he could never sign another NFL contract and unless he's either stupid or extremely unlucky, he can live a nice lifestyle for the rest of his life. The downside of that is that the Rams can and should expect to get as much value out of it as possible. Obviously it is unlikely to be worthwhile for his on the field performance. But if they have room for him (they do now) and there is a non-zero chance of him having value to them (there is some small chance he can return to being an okay backup) then they should keep him. Good GMs don't throw away players in a snit. He sucked last year, especially after the Green Bay game. But in fact, the Rams do not have 4 better QBs at the moment, so there is no reason to get rid of him yet. If he were willing to remove the roster bonus guarantee or alter it, or another team were willing to trade something of value for him, that would change things.