Joe Theismann On Bradford, Playoffs, Redskins ♬

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
SEGMENT 3 - Joe Theismann: Joe Theismann joins us to talk NFL playoffs and Sam Bradford, Sam's stats before he was injured were good, would Joe draft a qb in the early rounds?, thoughts on the NFL playoffs, Joe's thoughts on the Redskins coaching search.

[av]http://www.insidestlaudio.com/ITD_Audio/010614-3Theismann.mp3[/av]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Theismann is a Bradford mom. :meh:

RFIP

Probably the most intelligent I've ever heard Theismann. His Newton comments were dead on too.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Funny, the producer considers himself "honest" observer . . . and Theismann calls him out on it, as an "observer" . . . that's what happens with the bashers, they thing they are only ones being honest because I guess in their mind, negative is more honest than positive.

Cory

UDFA
What did he say about Newton? I can not listen. Satellite internet problems! :frown:

dodgerram

UDFA
Probably the most intelligent I've ever heard Theismann. His Newton comments were dead on too.

Well, Theisman was very complimentary and positive (Dalton) about every QB he was talking about in that segment.
Hey, he even made excuses for Joey Harrington!!!!!

go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

dodgerram

UDFA
What did he say about Newton? I can not listen. Satellite internet problems! :frown:

Said he missed 4- 5 wide open men in Atlanta, wasnt even in the same zipcode there.
Says he is inaccurate quite often but comes back with a great play to make up for it.
Says whose Qb will do better in the run game willl win the SF vs CAR matchup.

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny, the producer considers himself "honest" observer . . . and Theismann calls him out on it, as an "observer" . . . that's what happens with the bashers, they thing they are only ones being honest because I guess in their mind, negative is more honest than positive.

What I find funny is that nearly every person that is a Rams fan will bash Sam to absolute hell with a clear agenda and give him no credit. Then finish their post with, "But I hope I'm wrong because I want him to succeed and I'm rooting for him". Yea, I don't know if you think we're all dumb but not biting on that one. You have no interest in seeing the kid succeed. You have no interest in rooting for the kid. You don't hope you're wrong.

There's only 1 Bradford basher that I've ever dealt with that actually admitted he wants Bradford to fail. I think the guy is nuts...but at least he had the balls to be honest.

And I find that is often true of the media types as well. They claim themselves "honest observers" or "impartial observers" or "non-biased" and typically, they're anything but.

dodgerram

UDFA
What I find funny is that nearly every person that is a Rams fan will bash Sam to absolute hell with a clear agenda and give him no credit. Then finish their post with, "But I hope I'm wrong because I want him to succeed and I'm rooting for him". Yea, I don't know if you think we're all dumb but not biting on that one. You have no interest in seeing the kid succeed. You have no interest in rooting for the kid. You don't hope you're wrong.

Well, if you KNOW that you must be a very rich man because in that case you have the rare ability to read the minds of persons you dont even know personally.
congrats.

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Disclaimer
I am very , very critical of Sam Bradford ever since the Rams drafted him but I still would like him to be the QB everyone expected him to be because in that case my Rams will be successful. And the team with the horns is more important to me than any single player was , is or ever will be.
Believe it or not, I dont care.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, if you KNOW that you must be a very rich man because in that case you have the rare ability to read the minds of persons you dont even know personally.
congrats.

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Disclaimer
I am very , very critical of Sam Bradford ever since the Rams drafted him but I still would like him to be the QB everyone expected him to be because in that case my Rams will be successful. And the team with the horns is more important to me than any single player was , is or ever will be.
Believe it or not, I dont care.

I don't know you, I don't know if you're that way. But from the guys I'm talking about, it's easy to read between the lines. Actions speak louder than words. And when your actions are to discredit him during losses regardless of performance and then turn around and discredit him during wins regardless of performance, you have no interest in seeing the guy succeed.

There's being critical and then there's being unfair. I can be very critical of Sam. I can be very critical of any Rams player. But I give credit where it's due. If a guy is playing bad, I'll call him out for it. But if he's playing well, I'll offer him props. When the only reason a person posts about a player is to tear him down, I don't care what you say...it's blatantly obvious where your true intentions lie.

I'm sure you have the capability to tell too when people's actions don't reflect what they're saying to your face.

I'm not calling you out. I really hope you aren't one of those guys because they're absolutely miserable to be around.

dodgerram

UDFA
Bradford IMO is maddening inconsistent. he makes absolutely GREAT plays only to turn right around and make horrible plays. He has games when he lights it up only to follow that up with a total stinker .
Even this season he had a couple of very good games (Ari, Atl even in a loss) only to absolutely play like crap against SF and in Dallas.
I saw some nice improvement this season overall which is represented in his stats but he is still only and average NFL QB and a far cry from what was expected.
When he was drafted it was said he would be the best QB in the division making the difference in favor of the Rams for years to come. Now a case can be made he is not even the third best QB in the nfc wEST.

Couple his slow progress with the fact he has missed about 25% of his games with the Rams and you know why so many fans and experts have grown more and more critical about him and question if he is the right QB for this team.

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford IMO is maddening inconsistent. he makes absolutely GREAT plays only to turn right around and make horrible plays. He has games when he lights it up only to follow that up with a total stinker .
Even this season he had a couple of very good games (Ari, Atl even in a loss) only to absolutely play like crap against SF and in Dallas.
I saw some nice improvement this season overall which is represented in his stats but he is still only and average NFL QB and a far cry from what was expected.
When he was drafted it was said he would be the best QB in the division making the difference in favor of the Rams for years to come. Now a case can be made he is not even the third best QB in the nfc wEST.

Couple his slow progress with the fact he has missed about 25% of his games with the Rams and you know why so many fans and experts have grown more and more critical about him and question if he is the right QB for this team.

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

To be fair, when he was drafted, he was the best QB in the division. And it could easily be argued that he's currently the second best QB in the NFC West(behind Wilson).

I wouldn't go as far as maddeningly inconsistent but he is inconsistent. And it's concerning. It's why I'm not 100% sold on him either. Then again, you also have to put things into context with the Dallas and SF games. When a QB plays badly, it's rarely JUST the QB. And when a QB plays well, it's rarely JUST the QB.

We'll see if he can finally put the questions to rest this coming year. It seemed that he was starting to last year but bad luck ruined that chance.

dodgerram

UDFA
To be fair, when he was drafted, he was the best QB in the division. And it could easily be argued that he's currently the second best QB in the NFC West(behind Wilson).

Bradford better than CK ???? to quote the great John McEnroe:
You can not be serious!!!!!!!!!

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford better than CK ???? to quote the great John McEnroe:
You can not be serious!!!!!!!!!

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100%.

Kaepernick has arguably the best OL in the NFL, a top 10 HB and Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin as receiving targets. Along with a top tier HC and OC. And a top 5 defense. And yet the guy plays a game manager role as a passer and he was underwhelming this year when you watched him. His anticipation is lacking, he isn't especially adept at reading the defense and he is slow through his progressions. He has a tendency to lock onto targets and not work off of his first read quickly enough.

IMO, Kaepernick is overhyped. He was a long ways to go and if he were on a less talented team, his flaws would be more exposed.

dodgerram

UDFA
Well, I would bet you 100:1 that NO GM or HC in the NFL would trade CK for SB to start his team.
It never seizes to amaze me how much credit Bradford gets. I cant remember any other Rams player past or present who only remotely got this much patience and excuses.

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I would bet you 100:1 that NO GM or HC in the NFL would trade CK for SB to start his team.
It never seizes to amaze me how much credit Bradford gets. I cant remember any other Rams player past or present who only remotely got this much patience and excuses.

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's easy to throw around statements like that when you don't have to back it up. You didn't try to dispute a single thing I said. Nor did I make a single excuse for Bradford.

If this is the quality of conversation I can expect, I'm not interested in continuing this discussion.

dodgerram

UDFA
It's easy to throw around statements like that when you don't have to back it up. You didn't try to dispute a single thing I said. Nor did I make a single excuse for Bradford.

If this is the quality of conversation I can expect, I'm not interested in continuing this discussion.

Well, then lets look at some things, will we ?
O-line: SF o-line is good but a lot of it has to do with CK being able to move around , extend plays and even break down a defense with his running. That line did not look nearly as good in front of Smith.
CK is a classical two way threat . Pick your poison for a defense.
Crabtree was injured almost the entire season.

The SF running game is good but again in large part due to CK himself being that dual threat who can beat you with his arm and legs.

And it is one thing to have good talent around you and another thing to make it click.
CK ,as much as it pains me to say it, has lifted that Niners team up to elite status. Something Alex Smith could not do with the same HC and same OC running that gig.
CK in his first half year elevated the Niners to the SB making big play after big play especially in the playoffs coming so close to even win the big price in his first half year as starter.
And this year he has them primed yet again for another SB run. On maybe the second most difficult field in the entire league he put this team on his back when it counted the most and drove them to the winning score, again coming up with the big plays when it counted the most in a pressure cooker situation, on the road, in Green Bay, in the cold.

In the end: If you would trade CK for SB it is your decision. But that very decision would get you fired on the spot if you´d happen to be a GM or HC in the NFL.

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, then lets look at some things, will we ?
O-line: SF o-line is good but a lot of it has to do with CK being able to move around , extend plays and even break down a defense with his running. That line did not look nearly as good in front of Smith.

Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Jonathan Goodwin, Alex Boone and Anthony Davis. They have two top 10 OGs, a top 10 LT, a top 10 RT and a meh Center. I don't care who is behind it, that's a darn good OL. If it's not the best in the OL, it's in the top 5. And the OL did not look bad when Smith was behind it. Smith just preferred to take sacks rather than risk INTs.

If you want to talk stats, San Francisco allowed the 2nd fewest pressures in the NFL this year behind Cincinnati.

CK is a classical two way threat . Pick your poison for a defense.
Crabtree was injured almost the entire season.

And without Crabtree, Kaepernick had 14 passing TDs to 7 Ints in 11 games. Sam had 14 passing TDs to 4 Ints in 7 games. Kaepernick still had Boldin and Vernon Davis.

The SF running game is good but again in large part due to CK himself being that dual threat who can beat you with his arm and legs.

In large part? That Frank Gore guy was pretty darn good before Kaepernick became the QB.

And it is one thing to have good talent around you and another thing to make it click.
CK ,as much as it pains me to say it, has lifted that Niners team up to elite status. Something Alex Smith could not do with the same HC and same OC running that gig.

Regular season W-L records:
2011 49ers with Alex Smith - 13-3
2013 49ers with Kaepernick - 12-4
2012 49ers with Alex Smith - 6-2
2012 49ers with Kaepernick - 5-2
(The Tie was not counted since both played in that game)

Alex Smith in 2011 and 2012 - 30 passing TDs to 10 Ints
Colin Kaepernick in 2012 and 2013 - 31 passing TDs to 11 Ints

CK in his first half year elevated the Niners to the SB making big play after big play especially in the playoffs coming so close to even win the big price in his first half year as starter.

And Alex Smith would have taken them to the Super Bowl in 2011 had Kyle Williams not fumbled a punt. I fail to see where Kaepernick has elevated the team. Don't get me wrong, they were smart to go with Kaepernick. He has more upside than Alex Smith. But at the moment, he's not elevating the team above where Smith would have it. In the future, if he improves as a passer...he very possibly could.

And this year he has them primed yet again for another SB run. On maybe the second most difficult field in the entire league he put this team on his back when it counted the most and drove them to the winning score, again coming up with the big plays when it counted the most in a pressure cooker situation, on the road, in Green Bay, in the cold.

After a completely underwhelming performance. And, of course, you're conveniently leaving this out:
y5bs.png

That happened on the 3rd play of his final game winning drive. Of course, the DB ended up dropping the ball. So maybe we should count Kaepernick as insanely lucky too. Because he threw away the game to the Packers and they gave it right back.

In the end: If you would trade CK for SB it is your decision. But that very decision would get you fired on the spot if you´d happen to be a GM or HC in the NFL.

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, first of all, what you're saying is complete conjecture. I highly doubt you have round-table discussions with NFL GMs and Head Coaches so you wouldn't know if what you're saying is true or not. It's just an easy thing to throw out there since you don't have to back it up. Second of all, Sam coming off a serious knee injury complicates things. But in terms of 2013 performance, yep, before he got hurt, he was outplaying Colin Kaepernick and he's currently the better passer. Kaepernick's legs are the X Factor but I've always preferred pocket passing QBs.