Joe Theismann On Bradford, Playoffs, Redskins ♬

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Thats true, again its all about style points. Hell look at Peyton, for all hes done he can't shake a 9-11 playoff record and "only" 1 SB.

Incedently when I think of how good Kurt's PO record was and the fact he went to more SB's than Peyton....man that cat was something.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Then again, you also have to put things into context with the Dallas and SF games. When a QB plays badly, it's rarely JUST the QB. And when a QB plays well, it's rarely JUST the QB.
I couldn't agree that he's so inconsistent, but I really liked the point you made there.

This is no different from our defense, really. When we know that when our defensive line is too much for someone's offensive line such that they simply won't allow the opposing quarterback the time for a long pass, our corners and safeties can play aggressively taking away the short gains.

I'm sure it's no secret around the league that's the way you play against our offensive line, which is why we were forced to move away from the spread strategy which just wasn't getting enough time consistently to exploit the middle and longer routes which would have opened up the underneath stuff.

Nothing wrong with a power run game and how it makes defenses adjust, but that's not what they went into the season with and Sam still had a lot of success.

But the same goes for the way the ran the offense under Clemens. That dude is crazy inaccurate on longer passes but they still made it work and won just about every game that I felt they had a chance against.

iced

100%.

Kaepernick has arguably the best OL in the NFL, a top 10 HB and Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin as receiving targets. Along with a top tier HC and OC. And a top 5 defense. And yet the guy plays a game manager role as a passer and he was underwhelming this year when you watched him. His anticipation is lacking, he isn't especially adept at reading the defense and he is slow through his progressions. He has a tendency to lock onto targets and not work off of his first read quickly enough.

IMO, Kaepernick is overhyped. He was a long ways to go and if he were on a less talented team, his flaws would be more exposed.

dead on.

Kaepernick is overrated it's funny - all those weapons on offense, still can't get even get out of the bottom quarter of the league in passing

Knock on Kaep has always been he struggles getting through his progressions, particularly his 2nd and 3rd reads... Take away his first read, he'll tuck and run, as he's done very often.

Green bay is too stubborn/stupid to stop playing man coverage

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think it's a little unfair to compare CK's stats when he inherited a SB team to Sam's stats when he inherited one of the worst teams in history.
People want to compare apples to oranges and there's really no way to know for sure. Would CK have the same stats if the Rams drafted him? I say no, but I have no way to prove it. I can tell you this and it's simply from factual stats. Sam's #'s are as good or better than CK's and was on pace to be better then Wilson's this year. And he didn't have the benefit of a #1 or #5 defense all year. (Or certainly not in the 7 game she played). So just a quick bit to compare

2012 Stats
Wilson 26 TD 10 INT 3118 yards
CK (13 gms) 10TD 3 INT 1814 yds
Sam 21 TD 13 INT 3700 yds

2013 Stats (broken out for just first 7 game comparison)
Wilson 11TD 4 INT 1489 yds
CK 8TD 5 INTS 1420 yds
SAM 14TD 4 INTS 1687 yds

Say what you want, but even the average fan can see Sam has had less to work with. On offense and defense. So looking at this and knowing what we know about all three teams, you think every GM would still want CK over SB? Not so sure...I do agree that 2014 is a huge year for Sam. If he comes back healthy and we make the additions in FA and the draft I think we will we SHOULD be a playoff team next year, IMO. But let's be real here. This has not been a fair comparison because no QB can do it all by himself. CK and Wilson came into better overall situations. Love Sam or hate him, at least put it into perspective. This year Sam was doing pretty well considering what everyone else around him was doing.
If Sam sucks next year then I agree it's time to look at other options. But I doubt that will be the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I just hope that one of the Panthers put ck on his ass when he tries to pull the escape-down-the-sideline trick this weekend. He doesn't get hit enough for my taste, probably because he never scrambles up the middle.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just hope that one of the Panthers put ck on his ass when he tries to pull the escape-down-the-sideline trick this weekend. He doesn't get hit enough for my taste, probably because he never scrambles up the middle.
I kinda hope ck scrambles and gets forced out of bounds and smacks his head into newton's kneecap. Hard.
Win/win.

dodgerram

UDFA
I think it's a little unfair to compare CK's stats when he inherited a SB team to Sam's stats when he inherited one of the worst teams in history.
People want to compare apples to oranges and there's really no way to know for sure. Would CK have the same stats if the Rams drafted him? I say no, but I have no way to prove it. I can tell you this and it's simply from factual stats. Sam's #'s are as good or better than CK's and was on pace to be better then Wilson's this year. And he didn't have the benefit of a #1 or #5 defense all year. (Or certainly not in the 7 game she played). So just a quick bit to compare

2012 Stats
Wilson 26 TD 10 INT 3118 yards
CK (13 gms) 10TD 3 INT 1814 yds
Sam 21 TD 13 INT 3700 yds

2013 Stats (broken out for just first 7 game comparison)
Wilson 11TD 4 INT 1489 yds
CK 8TD 5 INTS 1420 yds
SAM 14TD 4 INTS 1687 yds

Say what you want, but even the average fan can see Sam has had less to work with. On offense and defense. So looking at this and knowing what we know about all three teams, you think every GM would still want CK over SB? Not so sure...I do agree that 2014 is a huge year for Sam. If he comes back healthy and we make the additions in FA and the draft I think we will we SHOULD be a playoff team next year, IMO. But let's be real here. This has not been a fair comparison because no QB can do it all by himself. CK and Wilson came into better overall situations. Love Sam or hate him, at least put it into perspective. This year Sam was doing pretty well considering what everyone else around him was doing.
If Sam sucks next year then I agree it's time to look at other options. But I doubt that will be the case.

good post and I agree both Wilson and CK had more to work with than Bradford. No doubt about it.
But why do you leave out the rushing and running stats of those two QBs ?
The running is a big part of their game so when making comparisions they should be included.

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

tonyl711

Starter
can anyone honestly say that they believe if Sam had SFs offense to work with he wouldn't be measurably better? or do you think CK would have taken the Rams to the SB? facts are facts, put CK on this team and none of you would want him. that's why it is called a team, when one team has about 10 or so all pro's on it and the other is full of rookies and second year players guess which one will win more often.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
can anyone honestly say that they believe if Sam had SFs offense to work with he wouldn't be measurably better? or do you think CK would have taken the Rams to the SB? facts are facts, put CK on this team and none of you would want him. that's why it is called a team, when one team has about 10 or so all pro's on it and the other is full of rookies and second year players guess which one will win more often.
If Colon Krappernick was on this team, I would find another team to root for. I cant stand that punk.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
It's easy to throw around statements like that when you don't have to back it up. You didn't try to dispute a single thing I said. Nor did I make a single excuse for Bradford.

If this is the quality of conversation I can expect, I'm not interested in continuing this discussion.
That's what dodgerram does, just throws out things and when there is something positive, he ignores it. Sorry, but it's true. He never backs up anything.

PhxRam

That's what dodgerram does, just throws out things and when there is something positive, he ignores it. Sorry, but it's true. He never backs up anything.

No longer need to worry.

Poor guy just unexpectedly up and left the place.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
good post and I agree both Wilson and CK had more to work with than Bradford. No doubt about it.
But why do you leave out the rushing and running stats of those two QBs ?
The running is a big part of their game so when making comparisions they should be included.

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I guess in total fairness if you add rushing stats they look better but Bradford is a pocket passer. Obviously that gives both CK and Wilson an advantage but that can be said for 70 % of the QB's in the league.

2012 Wilson
94 att 489 yds 4 TD
96 att 535 yds 1 TD

2012 CK
63 att 415 yds 5 TD
92 att 524 yds 4 TD

2012 SB
36 att 124 yds 1 TD
irrelevant stats.

Bottom line is it certainly helps the running QB's move the chains and a slight advantage getting TD's. Can't really fault SB, it's not his game or most QB's for that matter. We just happen to be in the division that has the most running QB's. I would take Wilson over CK every day and twice on Sunday. I still would take Sam over CK, but that's just me.
Put both CK and Wilson on the 2010-2012 Rams and I think they wouldn't be as effective. No way to know that obviously but just my personal opinion.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Not disagreeing, but that's just the thing I'll never understand. The team has been up and down and so has Sam's play, but he's never sucked or even justified being replaced over really any other position on this team. Heck, even when he's had bad games he never cost the team a game. And for the most part, he's done more than his fair share in contributing to some very close wins.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Not disagreeing, but that's just the thing I'll never understand. The team has been up and down and so has Sam's play, but he's never sucked or even justified being replaced over really any other position on this team. Heck, even when he's had bad games he never cost the team a game. And for the most part, he's done more than his fair share in contributing to some very close wins.

Sam has had bad games. I don't think anyone would dispute that. However, I think most reasonable fans would admit he's done more to help the team than hurt it.
Even Peyton Manning has lost games with bad play. But I think as the team has gotten better around Sam so has his numbers. At least 2013 stats in 7 games would indicate that.
Nobody has any idea if Sam will lead us to the playoffs or a SB victory. But after watching Kellen play for 9 games I'll take my chances with him Sam. I also think most believe if Sam played the last 9 games we wouldn't have finished 7-9. I would put my own money down we would of had 10 wins.

Alan

Legend
Science lesson for the day:

As a leopard kitten matures into a prowling adult, its baby spots morph into more commanding rosette markings.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Heck, even when he's had bad games he never cost the team a game.

I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree. There's no bigger Bradford homer than me but even I can see his sometimes timid play has worked against the rams. Whether he doesn't trust his receivers or not there were many times in the past where he just wouldn't deliver the ball if the receiver was even partially covered, with the obvious exception of Danny A. That trust thing.

I'm guessing moving forward Sam will take more chances. Bailey especially catches everything that comes his way. Can't wait for Sam to work with him for a full season. Plus Austin with a full offseason to master his craft and I believe Quick comes out in a big way next season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree. There's no bigger Bradford homer than me but even I can see his sometimes timid play has worked against the rams. Whether he doesn't trust his receivers or not there were many times in the past where he just wouldn't deliver the ball if the receiver was even partially covered, with the obvious exception of Danny A. That trust thing.
There's an element of truth to that. He took more chances when throwing in the vicinity of Danny, Danario, Clayton and Lloyd. Shame we don't have any of those guys anymore, but he'll have to work out a rapport with someone here soon. Pettis was getting the trust in the redzone and on 3rd downs, and Givens was getting all the fly routes even before he would be open. Continuity is a big factor as it relates to trust, so...