Joe Philbin Fired as Head Coach of Dolphins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Philbin was a highly regarded coach as the OC in Green Bay.

One person I know of has said that taking assistants frostrong programs, whose strength is the same. The head coaches is risky.

In other words How do you know if Philbins success is due to Philbin or McArthy.

…..

Legend
I know. That's why I wondered if they would shitcan him too. I think they may have given him a bit more latitude, but who knows.

Fisher was approaching Nick Saban status during that time. I'm sure Fisher had some "latitude" built into his contract language.

Of course, NO ONE is actually as Godly as Nick, but Fisher looked pretty cool wearing shades and sporting his stash.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
London is becoming the coach killer.

I wonder if its because - poor teams are more likely to go there, and then the discrepancy between poor and average becomes greater still because of the flight/time zone differences and the novelty of playing in a foreign country. Well it worked out better for the Raiders anyway. They're much stronger this year with a better coach and some strong drafting by McKenzie.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I always liked Joe Philbin and I'm not sure why. Maybe because he lost his son just after realizing his life long dream and I thought he was a stand up guy on Hard Knocks and a Marine too. However, I could tell he was just too nice of a guy and Ross made him fire Mike Sherman who Philbin was very close to.

In the end Joe just could keep everyone in check and did not come off very intense and it's funny how teams want intensity until they get too much of it like the Jets with Ryan so they go with the more somber Todd Bowles, but they spin that he's intense internally.

Overall Fisher made the right call Stan Kroenke is more patient than Stephen Ross and maybe that's a good thing and maybe it's a bad thing, but prior to this season Philbin had a better record than Fisher in St. Louis, but the Dolphins were in better shape when Philbin got the gig back in 2012. Overall I wish Philbin all the very best and I'm sure he'll land as an OC or OL coach on somebody's staff next season and maybe reinvent himself and rid himself of his nick name in South beach..."Clueless Joe."
120120_Philbin.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/08/report-dolphins-parting-ways-with-kevin-coyle/

Report: Dolphins parting ways with Kevin Coyle
Posted by Josh Alper on October 8, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptdkowm4ndfmmtaymzy5mjqxzdexyjc5ntgxyjm0nzq1-e1444326706226.jpeg
AP

Before the Dolphins fired coach Joe Philbin on Monday, there were reports that had defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle on the chopping block as well.

During interim coach Dan Campbell’s introductory press conference, he said he wasn’t ready to talk about potential changes to the staff which meant Coyle was still employed if not exactly safe and sound in the job. Reports that the Dolphins had reached out to Jim Schwartz, Mike Smith and Greg Schiano about taking over their defense didn’t do much to make things any cozier.

The other shoe reportedly dropped on Thursday. Albert Breer of NFL Media reports that the Dolphins have decided to fire Coyle.

There’s no word on who will take over the Dolphins defense with Coyle out of the picture. Whoever does get the reins will be tasked with bringing together a defense that balked at playing Coyle’s scheme and held a closed-door meeting with coaches last week about making changes to it.

The new coach will also be tasked with finding a way to get big-ticket defensive tackleNdamukong Suh to perform at a level closer to the one he was at in Detroit before signing a huge contract with Miami as a free agent this offseason. It’s a full plate with a little more than a week to go before the Dolphins are back on the field.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/08/dolphins-make-anarumo-defensive-coordinator/

Dolphins make Anarumo defensive coordinator
Posted by Zac Jackson on October 8, 2015

The Dolphins will promote defensive backs coach Lou Anarumo to defensive coordinator, a source told PFT.

The team fired Kevin Coyle as defensive coordinator Thursday, three days after firing head coach Joe Philbin and replacing him with interim coach Dan Campbell.

Anarumo, 49, has been with the team as defensive backs coach since 2012. He previously was a college assistant coach for 23 years and spent 2004-2011 at Purdue.

The Dolphins are off this weekend after falling to 1-3 in London last week. They play at the Titans on Oct. 18.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

One person I know of has said that taking assistants frostrong programs, whose strength is the same. The head coaches is risky.

In other words How do you know if Philbins success is due to Philbin or McArthy.

Part of the problem with that situation though is that McCarthy was still calling plays at that point. So while Philbin had the title of OC, he really wasnt the OC, at least not in the traditional sense. So the Fins basically hired a glorified position coach instead of someone with more experience and success of calling plays. Seemed like a move doomed to fail tbh

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Good, by all accounts the guy was an asshole and not really all that good of a coach. No real reason for him to keep getting rewarded.

Especially after going and giving money to the new Haynesworth.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I know. That's why I wondered if they would shitcan him too. I think they may have given him a bit more latitude, but who knows.
I wonder what Fisher's record would be, if he had coached that team, instead of ours?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Very true. And this is why if Cigs gets this Rams offense rolling the rest of the way he'll be a very hot head coaching candidate. There will be no doubt who schemed and called the offense.

Which leads me to another thing I believe. That Fisher's gotta raise the bar on his coaching hires. His coaching tree, after all, is not very impressive given the length of his tenure as a head coach. I think he tried to do just that too, btw, on his out-the-box hires of Wienke and Garcia. Going after long-tenured positional coaches is not always the best way to build a staff, IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I wonder what Fisher's record would be, if he had coached that team, instead of ours?
Interesting question. Obviously he wouldn't have had Snead, and wouldn't have had all the extra picks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Interesting question. Obviously he wouldn't have had Snead, and wouldn't have had all the extra picks.
I don't think they needed all the extra picks. Something, we will never know. I, for one, am grateful for what Fisher, and Snead have done for this franchise, from a long time, and forever fan, I see sustainability in the future. It's exactly what I want. I don't want a flash in the pan, I don't want to just make the playoffs. I want to contend, starting next year, and the year after that, and.....

I think that is when it will start happening, barring the major "I" word.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't think they needed all the extra picks. Something, we will never know. I, for one, am grateful for what Fisher, and Snead have done for this franchise, from a long time, and forever fan, I see sustainability in the future. It's exactly what I want. I don't want a flash in the pan, I don't want to just make the playoffs. I want to contend, starting next year, and the year after that, and.....

I feel the same way. People can harp about the Pead/Watkins picks and losing out on Wagner, but the draft is a gamble. They thought they could still get Wagner a few spots lower. They've hit on a fair amount of picks outside of a few and have made some decent trades and UDFA acquisitions. We're trending up, steadily, despite not having a starting QB on the field for 16 games since 2012. If they hit on all of these O-linemen, we should see significant improvement as the season wears on. Just weather this early storm of tough games and wreak havoc after the bye.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I feel the same way. People can harp about the Pead/Watkins picks and losing out on Wagner, but the draft is a gamble. They thought they could still get Wagner a few spots lower. They've hit on a fair amount of picks outside of a few and have made some decent trades and UDFA acquisitions. We're trending up, steadily, despite not having a starting QB on the field for 16 games since 2012. If they hit on all of these O-linemen, we should see significant improvement as the season wears on. Just weather this early storm of tough games and wreak havoc after the bye.
For me, Pead is the only player that I thought would be good, was happy about drafting, and he's gone. Rok, may have had some of the same issues. Some guys, just don't have the will, or heart, or brain, or maturity to make it. Skill wise, those guys had the measurables to be, at least, average players, and could have been starters.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

Hold on - you do not think this team would be in worse shape without Janoris Jenkins, Michael Brockers, Zac Stacy, Stedman Bailey, Greg Robinson, Alec Ogletree, and Isaiah Pead? Because that was the haul....