Joe Philbin Fired as Head Coach of Dolphins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rs-speculation-on-coachs-future-with-dolphins

Joe Philbin Reportedly Fired as Head Coach of Miami Dolphins
By Tyler Conway, Featured Columnist

hi-res-5b082e8e1d8a67d4d0a7361c37aa0e0b_crop_north.jpg

Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin was relieved of his duties after another disappointing start to the 2015 season.

After a 1-3 start, the team has decided to make a change on the sidelines, according to Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun Sentinel and Ian Rapoport of NFL.com. Prior to the decision to part ways with Philbin, Adam Schefter of ESPN reported tight ends coach Dan Campbell "would be the leading candidate" to hold the position in an interim role.

The Dolphins have a Week 5 bye, so there will be time for an interim head coach to get a plan in place. Expected to compete for a playoff spot, the Dolphins are trending in the wrong direction, losing their last three games and failing to top 20 points in any contest.

"We still can't panic," Philbin told reporters following the loss to theJets, per James Walker of ESPN.com. "It all seems like the walls are closing in on you. We all realize that. So we gotta look at things and be honest about where we are, what we're doing well and what we're not doing well."

Philbin posted a 24-28 record overall after taking over the Dolphins prior to the 2012 season, posting records of 7-9 or 8-8 in his first three campaigns.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So was it Philbin's idea to blow much of their available money for free agency on Suh?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Philbin posted a 24-28 record overall after taking over the Dolphins prior to the 2012 season, posting records of 7-9 or 8-8 in his first three campaigns.
Wow. I wonder if they would have Fired Fisher if he had taken the job over there.
Because, as we all know, he's currently 22-29-1 here.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow. I wonder if they would have Fired Fisher if he had taken the job over there.

Ironically Fisher was being wooed by the Fins at the same time the Rams wanted him. I remember many Fins fans crowing about how they were glad Fisher chose the Rams instead of their team.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rs-speculation-on-coachs-future-with-dolphins

Joe Philbin Reportedly Fired as Head Coach of Miami Dolphins
By Tyler Conway, Featured Columnist

hi-res-5b082e8e1d8a67d4d0a7361c37aa0e0b_crop_north.jpg

Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin was relieved of his duties after another disappointing start to the 2015 season.

After a 1-3 start, the team has decided to make a change on the sidelines, according to Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun Sentinel and Ian Rapoport of NFL.com. Prior to the decision to part ways with Philbin, Adam Schefter of ESPN reported tight ends coach Dan Campbell "would be the leading candidate" to hold the position in an interim role.

The Dolphins have a Week 5 bye, so there will be time for an interim head coach to get a plan in place. Expected to compete for a playoff spot, the Dolphins are trending in the wrong direction, losing their last three games and failing to top 20 points in any contest.

"We still can't panic," Philbin told reporters following the loss to theJets, per James Walker of ESPN.com. "It all seems like the walls are closing in on you. We all realize that. So we gotta look at things and be honest about where we are, what we're doing well and what we're not doing well."

I was listening to the NFL channel on XM driving in to work and they made this sound imminent.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
3 years seems to be the rule... unless....

MrMotes

Starter
This is Philbin's 4th year too.

He went 7-9, 8-8 and 8-8 in his first 3.

He got a 4th year but not much of one...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

Well, they gave Philbin the time to build a winner. His team has the talent, now they need coaching.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
They should fire their owner as well. He's an asshole as a person and gets way too involved with his team.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
http://phinphanatic.com/2015/10/05/breaking-miami-dolphins-to-fire-kevin-coyle-too/

The Miami Dolphins are not done, well their season is, but the team is expected to announce they have fired defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle. The news is coming fast out of Davie this early afternoon. Coaches are meeting as I write this at the teams training facility.

A short time ago the Dolphins fired head coach Joe Philbin and while there has been no word if he was given the option to stay if he fired Coyle, it makes no difference any more. Philbin had control over his staff and two seasons ago he was forced to fire his mentor Mike Sherman. Following Sunday’s loss Philbin told the media he would not fire Coyle.

News on the Coyle firing is trickling in via reports on Twitter.

View: https://twitter.com/NFLFilmStudy/status/651063397614780416?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Coyle’s defensive schemes have continued to decline the teams production on that side of the ball and his defense is ranked last in the NFL. It’s been reported over the last week that defensive players have grown tired of Coyle’s schemes and have asked for them to change.

As news continues to break on the firing of both Coyle and head coach Joe Philbin we will update you. Later we will break down the changes and what they mean moving forward.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ironically Fisher was being wooed by the Fins at the same time the Rams wanted him. I remember many Fins fans crowing about how they were glad Fisher chose the Rams instead of their team.
I know. That's why I wondered if they would shitcan him too. I think they may have given him a bit more latitude, but who knows.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well, they gave Philbin the time to build a winner. His team has the talent, now they need coaching.

Not too sure about their QB tbh I think they overpaid for him. That plus the enormous contract for a dude who is a selfish prick of a player and who can be schemed for week to week.

I don't blame the coach for firing Philbin though. My couch has more personality than that dude.

MrMotes

Starter
I know. That's why I wondered if they would shitcan him too. I think they may have given him a bit more latitude, but who knows.

Sounds like there was a fair amount of dysfunction and tension on the staff so maybe Fisher running a tighter ship would've gotten to coach out his 4th year in Miami with the same win/loss record...

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Not sure? But the below is just unreal:censored:
Ndamukong Suh signed a 6 year, $114,375,000 contract with the Miami Dolphins, including a $25,500,000 signing bonus, $59,955,000 guaranteed.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/ndamukong-suh/

On ESPN last night someone said that the Dolphins D has only one sack for the first 4 games of the season. Sound like how the Rams 2014 season began.

I saw a blurb of an interview of suh in the locker after the game and he basically said he doesn't give a crap. He gets 60 million smackers in the bank either way i guess. Unreal is right.

anode8

Professional lurker, occasional poster.
Name
Ron
On ESPN last night someone said that the Dolphins D has only one sack for the first 4 games of the season. Sound like how the Rams 2014 season began.

I heard that stat this morning also! On pace for 4 sacks for the season, with the second highest $$ allocated to the D-Line (highest is the Rams, who had 4 sacks yesterday).

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I saw a blurb of an interview of suh in the locker after the game and he basically said he doesn't give a crap. He gets 60 million smackers in the bank either way i guess. Unreal is right.

Plus he kicked someone else in the helmet again yesterday. Unbelievable.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article37792785.html

Miami Dolphins fire coach Joe Philbin

Britain%20Jets%20Dolphins%20Football(9)

795%20Dolphins%20vs%20Atlanta%20083

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO
asalguero@miamiherald.com

The Miami Dolphins have fired head coach Joe Philbin, marking the end of a 52-game run in which the team was perennially mediocre.

The Miami Herald has confirmed multiple reports of Philbin's ouster. The team is expected to announced the firing and the hiring of tight end coach Dan Campbell as the interim head coach later Monday, per a source.

Philbin's undoing came the past three weeks when his team failed to not only win but even play up to competitive expectations. The Dolphins were upset by Jacksonville and then lost bitter decisions to Buffalo and the New York Jets.

Philbin said Sunday evening after losing to New York that he was not worried about his job security. He should have been.

According to a source, owner Stephen Ross decided to fire Philbin on his jet flight back from England to the United States and informed the coach Monday morning of the news.

The Dolphins released statements from Ross and Philbin to announce the firing.

“This was a tough decision for me to make knowing how tirelessly Joe worked in his four years here to make this a winning team," Ross said. "He is a man of the highest character and integrity that I developed a close personal relationship with.

"I am extremely disappointed with how we have started the season, but I feel confident that we can improve quickly with the talent we have on our roster. We will soon be announcing an interim coach to lead the team going forward."

Ross should blame himself for the team's current state. He saw the team’s substandard play late last season and rewarded Philbin with a contract extension for the failure.

That wasn't Philbin's fault. That was on Ross, who now will be part of a coaching search at the end of the season that is likely to be different than others he has conducted. This one will primarily be headed by executive vice president Mike Tannenbaum.

Philbin, for his part, will be paid through next season even though he will not be coaching the Dolphins. Always classy in his time with Miami, he remained so in his statement.

“I want to thank Steve Ross for allowing me the privilege to serve as the head coach of the Miami Dolphins," Philbin said. "This is a tremendous organization from top to bottom that has a talented and dedicated staff. I want to especially thank the players, coaches and football staff who have worked so unselfishly and represented the team with dignity and class.

"I would be remiss if I didn’t thank the incredible fan base who has supported me and my family unconditionally since day one. It is my hope that the 2015 Miami Dolphins achieve great success both on and off the field."