JL, whipping boy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So,
JL was 17th in tackles for loss in 2010 with 13.
In 2011 he was ranked 36th with 11.
2012 not on the list.
2013 he was 83rd with 8.
2014 not on the list.
And every year our defensive line has gotten better

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And every year our defensive line has gotten better
Exactly.
Scheme plays in, age plays in. I am not claiming to be proving anything with these stats. But, they are interesting. Quinn's best year he had 24 tackles for loss. But, he is a DE that was basically turned loose most of time. A DT can be very effective without piling up many tackles or sacks. Brockers is a great example of this. His role has changed.
The discussion can certainly be about how stats are measured and how they relate to performance. But, I think with his current level of production and salary JL is a good value.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
His role as a field general is underrated. If you watch the presnap audibles between him and Manning at the Broncos game, you'll see where he earns that salary.

Athos

Legend
Having the Mannings of MLBs isn't a bad thing, and is a sorely underrated thing.

Switch him out for an athletic freak who makes plays but can coordinate the defense into alignment for shit.

Then see how happy you are with your MLB.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
People really don't seem to quite grasp that not everyone has to be some future hall of famer who's always making a big play or having all the attention on them. Sometimes solid is enough, and JL55 is a solid and smart player.

Show of hands, how many people here think Mike Jones, Ray Agnew, Farr and other guys like that from the GSOT era are going to be going into the hall of fame anytime soon? None of us right? Does that make their solid contributions any less noteworthy? Of course not.

This is the same principle. JL55 may not be flashy or exciting, but at the end of the day he gets the job done and sometimes that's all you need.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Year TeamGSoloAstTotalSack
2009 CIN 15 39 24 63 1.
2010 CIN 16 43 31 74 1
2011 CIN 13 53 35 88 0.
2012 CIN 16 62 60 12 2
2013 CIN 13 52 23 75 1.
2014 CIN 12 33 26 59 0.

These are the stats I compare to JL's - Rey Maualuga. The guy I wanted in round 2. Thank God it wasn't my choice. As posted before, JL's stability allowed us to address our real issues on D.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
What JL brings to the defense is not always measured in stats. He's an extremely intelligent player who quarterbacks the defense. And considering he's the captain of the defense I would imagine his teammates trust him. Is he going to make highlights with jarring hits? No. But he's got good fundamentals to his game. I got no complaints about him being our MLB. We could do a lot worse.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'll visit this later in the year...remember, were just going "vanilla" at this time of the season...Remember we were like 17th in total defense...Allowed 107 or so ypg rushing....This is defense we're talking about...In one instance, everyone wants a top 5 defense...on another, they're covering for mlb play with, it's alright, he's a leader, he's the QB of the defense...So, I gotta start using Austin Davis comparisons to get everyones attention?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
In all those misleading stats, how many are made at the line of scrimmage and for losses? I'm willing to bet he's among the lowest in the league in those categories for his position. What's the average yards gained by the time he tackles? He's never been a Pro Bowler. Not even an alternate. Why have Quinn and Aaron Donald made the Pro Bowl so quickly? It's because they get into the backfield and create havoc. It's the same reason Patrick Willis and Ray Lewis were in the Pro Bowl as many times as they were. They make minus yards contact.
I see TJ McDonald run stuffing more than JL55. We certainly don't want JL55 in coverage either. Too slow. Where he would be most affect for us is making stops at the line of scrimmage and most of the time he avoids getting there. It's either he's avoiding the tackling or he's just that bad reading plays.
Our run D is average because of him.
We should trade him for those guys. And why did we draft Donald when we could have replaced JL? We could have had our MLB occasionally in the backfield instead of our DT that makes his living there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
In all those misleading stats, how many are made at the line of scrimmage and for losses? I'm willing to bet he's among the lowest in the league in those categories for his position. What's the average yards gained by the time he tackles? He's never been a Pro Bowler. Not even an alternate. Why have Quinn and Aaron Donald made the Pro Bowl so quickly? It's because they get into the backfield and create havoc. It's the same reason Patrick Willis and Ray Lewis were in the Pro Bowl as many times as they were. They make minus yards contact.
I see TJ McDonald run stuffing more than JL55. We certainly don't want JL55 in coverage either. Too slow. Where he would be most affect for us is making stops at the line of scrimmage and most of the time he avoids getting there. It's either he's avoiding the tackling or he's just that bad reading plays.
Our run D is average because of him.
Wouldn't your argument be more effective if you actually provided the data you're requesting and/or implying?
It's a lot of work, I know, but anything worth doing is worth doing right.

That aside, sure. We could upgrade from him, but this isn't Madden where you can do a fantasy re-draft and pick all-pros at most every position. When you have effective placeholders at any given position, it affords you the latitude to address positions of greater need. At some point the people dissatisfied with JL's lack of pomp and flair will get their wish and we'll draft someone better. But until then, be satisfied with the fact that we don't have Jamie Duncan or Larry Kelm back there dishing out a bunch of meh.

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
People really don't seem to quite grasp that not everyone has to be some future hall of famer who's always making a big play or having all the attention on them. Sometimes solid is enough, and JL55 is a solid and smart player.

Show of hands, how many people here think Mike Jones, Ray Agnew, Farr and other guys like that from the GSOT era are going to be going into the hall of fame anytime soon? None of us right? Does that make their solid contributions any less noteworthy? Of course not.

This is the same principle. JL55 may not be flashy or exciting, but at the end of the day he gets the job done and sometimes that's all you need.
Man, Ray Agnew was such a key signing for that D.
Agnew and his spin move....

Memphis Ram

Legend
Simply put olgetree is horrible in run defense so maybe it's not JL that's missing assignments maybe just maybe it's the still raw ATHLETIC lb we have playing next to him

Laurinaitis is the same guy he was before Ogletree even arrived.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Wouldn't your argument be more effective if you actually provided the data you're requesting and/or implying?
It's a lot of work, I know, but anything worth doing is worth doing right.

That aside, sure. We could upgrade from him, but this isn't Madden where you can do a fantasy re-draft and pick all-pros at most every position. When you have effective placeholders at any given position, it affords you the latitude to address positions of greater need. At some point the people dissatisfied with JL's lack of pomp and flair will get their wish and we'll draft someone better. But until then, be satisfied with the fact that we don't have Jamie Duncan or Larry Kelm back there dishing out a bunch of meh.

Seriously........... you just invoked the Duncan card. Ban yourself for 30 seconds and try to be more careful next time you decide to post about Rams MLB's!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
JL is solid. Sometimes I notice he can get washed out versus the run when he takes on the blocker straight on. I think he is a great field general from the standpoint of getting guys lined up and making defensive adjustments. I think he does a really good job covering too. Like some have said, he has more positives than negatives and maybe he isn't flashy, but I think he gets the job done. Solid player for us and I don't have many complaints about his overall play.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Fantastic to see some love for our man JL. He's undersized and can get pushed back by a big physical center or a guard - but the guys so solid. Great character, a tackling machine, a coach on the field. Yeah - it'd be great to see him suddenly become Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis and light some guys up over the middle - but that's not who he is. He is a hugely important player for us and I for one hope he gets more of the respect he deserves from fans and on this great board.

There does have to be accountability though. We do have a habit of containing the run really well and then giving up a big one right up the middle at times. I'd love to see us shut down the run this year and move up from our 14th ranked rush defense into the top 7 or 8.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Simply put olgetree is horrible in run defense so maybe it's not JL that's missing assignments maybe just maybe it's the still raw ATHLETIC lb we have playing next to him

Even though I don't like JLS game I must admit he is solid. He is always around the ball. I just hate to see a defensive player always taking the hit instead of delivering it. But anyway I also don't like Ogletree as a run defender... lol he over runs plays, hits too high, and would rather sling a defender to the ground instead of a solid tackle which leads to mistackles. I believe in 3 or 4 years we will have a thread like this about him too lol.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I'll visit this later in the year...remember, were just going "vanilla" at this time of the season...Remember we were like 17th in total defense...Allowed 107 or so ypg rushing....This is defense we're talking about...In one instance, everyone wants a top 5 defense...on another, they're covering for mlb play with, it's alright, he's a leader, he's the QB of the defense...So, I gotta start using Austin......

All good points LAChamp46 time will tell....but what say you if we finish in the top 5 and he is our mike backer? Will he get any credit then? Or will it be the others are so good they help cover him up? Myself ,I feel he is a way above average mike.... scheme wise it is hard for a mlb to have tackles for losses......you cannot afford to run blitz your mike for fear of huge runs.....the mlb has to be able to run and flow wjich JL does really well as well as being a secure tackler and smart..... also I know as a franchise we searched for a mlb since the mid 80's ending up with only Fletcher and JL in all that time. So if we do try to replace him I hope it's by someone who can actually play the position and not like the mess at the position that followed the Fletcher loss in free agency. ... but either way it works out......

GO RAMS............. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
If it weren't for James Laurinaitis, the team would've lost in SF last season.

He went brain for brain with Peyton Manning, and he guided the defense to owning that Bronco offense.

It's not always about flashy stats or getting the "hit stick" highlight.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@rams56

barely can see your reply...but top 5 D...MLB, that calls the signals gets all the credit & love he deserves from fandom....Bottom 5, where do we start the blame in YOUR opinion?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Ya, I'm one of those dudes that hates a guy that is a 3 down player, never misses many games if at all, leadership, mades the right play calls and is a good player, fair contract to boot...... Freak JL55 LMAO (n)