Jimmy Johnson on Kaepernick "I Look For Another Quarterback"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
What was it?
Screen-shot-2015-10-04-at-6.51.23-PM.png

BOOM

fearsomefour

Legend
And do what with him?
Sit him on the bench and see if he can be developed.
He has more physical talent than any QB since John Elway....to a level that it is pretty clear. The failings in SF will get in his head and I am sure he will get drummed out of town at some point.
Getting him is a kin to getting a pitcher that can throw 100 mph fastball but has command issues. He is worth a flier to see if you can get him fixed. Just know you'd be going in with at least a two year window of sitting, working and learning with him. If it works you have a guy with better physical talent than any QB in the league. If not, no biggie.
Someone will probably pick him up to start however. Going someplace and working behind a solid vet QB would be the best thing for him.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Sit him on the bench and see if he can be developed.
He has more physical talent than any QB since John Elway....to a level that it is pretty clear. The failings in SF will get in his head and I am sure he will get drummed out of town at some point.
Getting him is a kin to getting a pitcher that can throw 100 mph fastball but has command issues. He is worth a flier to see if you can get him fixed. Just know you'd be going in with at least a two year window of sitting, working and learning with him. If it works you have a guy with better physical talent than any QB in the league. If not, no biggie.
Someone will probably pick him up to start however. Going someplace and working behind a solid vet QB would be the best thing for him.

Well, I guess we're going to have to disagree on the talent thing.

fearsomefour

Legend

Yep.
Not a great chance at a big payoff. I understand that. If it was a physical issue, that would be much easier to deal with. On the job training usually does not go well the NFL quarterbacks. Physically he has everything you would want in a QB. Huge arm talent, obviously athleticism.
The situation would have to right of course. He would have to be willing to make a big pay cut, would have to be willing to sit and learn. Even if he committed to doing a lot of tedious work (his work ethic has never been questioned) there is a relatively low chance of a big payoff. But, looking at the dearth of QB pool in the NFL, it would be worth the risk to me. At 30 years old and without an injury history he could have 6-8 years of playing ahead of him.
If the factors listed above were in check that is a very easy call in my opinion. But, if he were to be cut, lets say, he would probably not be on the market very long.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Yep.
Not a great chance at a big payoff. I understand that. If it was a physical issue, that would be much easier to deal with. On the job training usually does not go well the NFL quarterbacks. Physically he has everything you would want in a QB. Huge arm talent, obviously athleticism.
The situation would have to right of course. He would have to be willing to make a big pay cut, would have to be willing to sit and learn. Even if he committed to doing a lot of tedious work (his work ethic has never been questioned) there is a relatively low chance of a big payoff. But, looking at the dearth of QB pool in the NFL, it would be worth the risk to me. At 30 years old and without an injury history he could have 6-8 years of playing ahead of him.
If the factors listed above were in check that is a very easy call in my opinion. But, if he were to be cut, lets say, he would probably not be on the market very long.

I thought his work ethic was questioned, isn't that part of why he's never improved?

fearsomefour

Legend
I thought his work ethic was questioned, isn't that part of why he's never improved?
At UNR (played college ball where I live) he was a legendary worker. I knew a guy on that coaching staff and he was very much the "first guy in, last guy out" kind of guy. He is working out ect all of the time.
His issues are not about work ethic or volume of work, it has to do with the mental side of the game. When a guy plays in that kind of offense and is basically protected from bad reads his entire college career, and his first couple of years playing in the NFL, he is way behind the learning curve. The mental game, reading defenses, going through progressions quickly is his undoing. He may be able to improve on this, he may not.
The physical talent, both athletic/running ability and arm talent are elite and rare. The subtle parts of the game is what he is lacking. They may never develop, but, at a decent cost (and not needing to be a starter) it would certainly be worth taking a shot and investing some time.
Shaun Hill, Davis, Keenum ect.....as a back up he wouldn't be a worse option really and the potential upside is massive, thats all I am saying.

fearsomefour

Legend
He has talent, just not as a QB.
I'm paying attention, the QB talent is just not there.
Depends how you look at it I suppose.
Paying him, say $2-3M to learn and sit as opposed to a top back up QB pay ($5M/year) is a no brainer to me. The physical talent and arm talent is rare. So, you make an investment and take a chance he can be developed with the mental side of the game. Maybe it works out, probably not. Still worth it to me. The odds of him not being signed as a starter somewhere is low anyway.
Figuring 90% of teams are screwed if their starting QB goes down anyway having a truly talented guy you are trying to develop is worth it to me. Keenum vs Kap in that role? Please, easy choice to me.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
At UNR (played college ball where I live) he was a legendary worker. I knew a guy on that coaching staff and he was very much the "first guy in, last guy out" kind of guy. He is working out ect all of the time.
His issues are not about work ethic or volume of work, it has to do with the mental side of the game. When a guy plays in that kind of offense and is basically protected from bad reads his entire college career, and his first couple of years playing in the NFL, he is way behind the learning curve. The mental game, reading defenses, going through progressions quickly is his undoing. He may be able to improve on this, he may not.
The physical talent, both athletic/running ability and arm talent are elite and rare. The subtle parts of the game is what he is lacking. They may never develop, but, at a decent cost (and not needing to be a starter) it would certainly be worth taking a shot and investing some time.
Shaun Hill, Davis, Keenum ect.....as a back up he wouldn't be a worse option really and the potential upside is massive, thats all I am saying.

He lost the work ethic when his head swelled up. He was a good kid at Nevada. Not so much in the NFL. I honestly think that the fame got to him.

fearsomefour

Legend
He lost the work ethic when his head swelled up. He was a good kid at Nevada. Not so much in the NFL. I honestly think that the fame got to him.
Could be.
Hard to for anyone to say from the outside. I have not heard or read anything about his work ethic being questioned in SF.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Wait, Warner said he made great progress.:whistle: Thanks Kurt!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

This is kind of what I thought happened to him. Not living in SF I don't know the ins and outs, but that's always been my impression.

However he did work with Warner. Perhaps out of desperation, ha!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The thing that has become pretty clear about Kap is, he's not a very good "dual threat" QB. He can't get it done with his football IQ and his arm.
Cam Newton is probably the best dual threat QB in the game right now...i guess, although Aaron Rodgers is far more mobile than he gets credit for. Vick put it together for a little while.
Some of the best true dual threat QB's played decades ago. Steve Young(the best IMO), Randall Cunningham,Tarkenton, McNair, Mark Brunell etc...

RGIII sucks, Kap sucks, Manziel hasn't done anything yet.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Physical ability DOES NOT equal talent. They are two different things.
I think we have had this discussion before.
Its just a matter of definition. Lets try it this way....
There is ability and skill. For example a baseball pitcher may have the ability to throw the piss out of the baseball....he may throw a 95 mph fastball. He may not have the skill to pitch well....command the fastball along with changing speeds may elude him.
Kap has physical ability....he can run, be deceptive as a runner ect and he has great ability as a thrower.
He has not yet developed the skill of a good NFL QB. Reading defenses, going through progressions, stepping up in the pocket and making plays with his arm consistently when the pocket breaks down. He has not yet developed his skill set to the point it allows him to fully take advantage of his ability.
Ability, skill.....talent, performance....different things.