Jimmy Johnson on Kaepernick "I Look For Another Quarterback"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
This is kind of what I thought happened to him. Not living in SF I don't know the ins and outs, but that's always been my impression.

However he did work with Warner. Perhaps out of desperation, ha!
It is not a physical thing or a work ethic thing in my opinion. Have heard from too many people that he works very hard.
The problem is the mental side of the game takes longer to develop, if it can fully be developed. Finding big armed QBs is not hard part of finding QBs. Someone can get into amazing shape pretty quickly. Someone can push the limits of what they can do physically pretty quickly. But the subtle parts of the game from that position take time.
The truth is he never had to do it college. Never had to read defenses. His first couple of years in the NFL he was protected in a sense by running pistol variations, a great running game and a great defense. It was good for the team winning, not good for his development as a QB.
The only thing I am saying is that his natural ability and arm talent are rare enough it would be worth taking a flyer on the guy.

Athos

Legend
I'd rather not take a flyer on a guy who pours on his fake ghetto accent since entering the league, kisses his bicep like a damn fool, and reads the field worse than blind aunt Betsy can read a book.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Have to admit I was wrong about Colin Kaepernick after that game against the Packers in the playoffs I feared playing this guy for the next 10-12 years. I concur with @fearsomefour Kaepernick needs a change of scenery and that might happen because IMHO the 49ers will clean house this off season if things don't change because IMO they are going to spiral out of control.

Tomsula just like Richie Pettibone of yesteryear will be shown the door and the 49ers will be drafting a QB early and trading or cutting Kaepernick. Where does Kaepernick end up? This one is easy, the Denver Broncos. Kubiak will believe he can fix him and there is no questioning his arm strength. It will take a QB guru to fix him, hell when the Rams had Mike Martz I would believe Martz could fix him.

The Broncos will love Kaepernick's arm and he played at Nevada in college so that will be somewhat close add to the fact that maybe Peyton Manning has one more year to ake Kaepernick under his belt and teach him about leadership and QB savvy and you have the perfect match along with the Elway factor.

That being posted I actually feel bad for Jim Tomsula even though in the off season I was probably the number one poster who enjoyed making fun of the man. Nice guy who is not a head coach and really not a coordinator either, but IMO the Niners will be lucky to win 4 games and they will usher him out of San Francisco very quickly along with Colin Kaepernick and even the General Manager too.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
He was average in college and he was fortunate to play on a couple niners teams with a great running game and tough defense. I always thought he is/will be a bust. The niners paid a bunch of money for an average QB and now it's coming back to bite them in the ass. Guarantee he gets dealt at the end of the season.

fearsomefour

Legend
It is sort of funny that at QB, the most important position in football and the one more teams need to fill more than any other, teams seem less willing to be patient with a player.
If Kap is let go in SF after this season, as @den-the-coach said, Denver makes sense. New England makes sense to me as well. The Eagles makes a lot of sense with the running ability.
I don't care if a QB is 28 years old and has struggled. Watching his game his struggles as a passer started way before this season. It was not so obvious because other elements of the team were bumping along and the press was in full nonsensical "ESPN-ing" mode. I remember one of the NFL Title games, vs Seattle I think, the announcer saying he was having a great half and he had like 28 yards passing late in the 2nd quarter. I would tell every Whiner fan I know that as soon as the running game was not dominant he would be exposed. The offense the Whiners ran made sense in terms of winning right away....and with that D I get it, but, it certainly hurt his potential to develop as a passer.
If the guy has rare ability and has a chance at being great, I take the time to try and develop him.
The problem is, I am sure he will want to start and not sit for a couple of years. In the name of winning now I am sure a team with change their O to better fit where he is now....both of these things will likely conspire to undermine his career.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'd rather not take a flyer on a guy who pours on his fake ghetto accent since entering the league, kisses his bicep like a damn fool, and reads the field worse than blind aunt Betsy can read a book.
I get it.
Depends what you are trying to do with your back up QB I guess. If you want a guy who can hold a clipboard and hand the ball off, we've got one and maybe two of those guys.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He was average in college and he was fortunate to play on a couple niners teams with a great running game and tough defense. I always thought he is/will be a bust. The niners paid a bunch of money for an average QB and now it's coming back to bite them in the ass. Guarantee he gets dealt at the end of the season.

Actually the contract was team friendly they can cut their losses quickly without any cap issues and he was better than average in college although he did play for an under the radar team, but Jim Harbaugh drafted him and IMO, Harbaugh is one of the best in the game so he must of seen something.

I agree he will get dealt or cut, but the 49ers are not trapped with his contract like the Bears with Jay Cutler. Now don't get me wrong I wish him the very worst and that he experiences no more victories with this franchise and when he plays against the Rams which will be twice, he throws ten interceptions and the 49ers as organization continues to implode into an abyss and never to be heard from again.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It is not a physical thing or a work ethic thing in my opinion. Have heard from too many people that he works very hard.
The problem is the mental side of the game takes longer to develop, if it can fully be developed. Finding big armed QBs is not hard part of finding QBs. Someone can get into amazing shape pretty quickly. Someone can push the limits of what they can do physically pretty quickly. But the subtle parts of the game from that position take time.
The truth is he never had to do it college. Never had to read defenses. His first couple of years in the NFL he was protected in a sense by running pistol variations, a great running game and a great defense. It was good for the team winning, not good for his development as a QB.
The only thing I am saying is that his natural ability and arm talent are rare enough it would be worth taking a flyer on the guy.

I'd pass. We've got Mannion. At this point in his career I think he's an old dog who'll struggle to learn new tricks. Even though he's not that old at 28, it'd be like learning piano at 28 and going up against guys who've been playing since they were 10. They'd be better off just cutting and starting over. IMO of course.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'd pass. We've got Mannion. At this point in his career I think he's an old dog who'll struggle to learn new tricks. Even though he's not that old at 28, it'd be like learning piano at 28 and going up against guys who've been playing since they were 10. They'd be better off just cutting and starting over. IMO of course.
Very well may be right.
I certainly am not saying it would be even close to a sure thing. I would take the chance on him rather than Mannion, but, that is just me.

fearsomefour

Legend
Actually the contract was team friendly they can cut their losses quickly without any cap issues and he was better than average in college although he did play for an under the radar team, but Jim Harbaugh drafted him and IMO, Harbaugh is one of the best in the game so he must of seen something.

I agree he will get dealt or cut, but the 49ers are not trapped with his contract like the Bears with Jay Cutler. Now don't get me wrong I wish him the very worst and that he experiences no more victories with this franchise and when he plays against the Rams which will be twice, he throws ten interceptions and the 49ers as organization continues to implode into an abyss and never to be heard from again.
That deal was for sure showing their hand....they liked him and he had success (the team actually), but, that contract was by no means a big long term buy in by the Whiners.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Besides my doubts that Kaepernick has the actual QB talent necessary (the rapid spatial recognition that top QBs have is a talent, imo, not just a skill, though it needs to be developed of course); Kaepernick would likely be expensive in terms of a flyer. The Rams have too many players to re-sign to have an expensive backup QB who is not actually NFL ready in terms of the Rams' system. I suspect that if Mannion keeps developing in practice that Keenum is gone after the season, even. The Rams need the roster spot and the cap room. Should help them get a draft pick in 2017 too, since somebody will sign Keenum for legit backup QB money.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
In the old days when a team drafted a QB he would usually sit and learn behind a veteran before getting a chance to start. There were some exceptions of course. Some teams today can still afford to do this, with Aaron Rodgers learning from Brett Favre as one example.

Unfortunately some teams that pick a QB high in the first round usually throw him out there immediately. In some cases like Sam Bradford and the Rams, RGIII and the Skins, and Kaepernick and the 49ers, those players are either ruined or go through a trial by fire for the first few seasons.

Bradford, RGIII, and Kaepernick all have three things in common; 1) they all started in their rookie season, 2) they all had success in their rookie seasons, 3) after that they all began to decline for whatever reason. One excuse Kaepernick doesn't have that the other two do is that he hasn't had to deal with injuries.

I would like to see Sean Mannion learn how to be a complete NFL QB for a few seasons by watching Foles play before he's given a chance to start.

Debacled

Starter
The dude is 27 and its his 5th year in the NFL. Theres never been a big injury that may have put a hold on his development. He wasn't thrown straight into the fire, he sat for a year plus behind Alex Smith.

The guy doesn't have it. Love his athletic ability or arm strength or anything you want, he cannot figure out how to progress through his reads and defenses have him completely figured out.

Debacled

Starter
In the old days when a team drafted a QB he would usually sit and learn behind a veteran before getting a chance to start. There were some exceptions of course. Some teams today can still afford to do this, with Aaron Rodgers learning from Brett Favre as one example.

Unfortunately some teams that pick a QB high in the first round usually throw him out there immediately. In some cases like Sam Bradford and the Rams, RGIII and the Skins, and Kaepernick and the 49ers, those players are either ruined or go through a trial by fire for the first few seasons.

Bradford, RGIII, and Kaepernick all have three things in common; 1) they all started in their rookie season, 2) they all had success in their rookie seasons, 3) after that they all began to decline for whatever reason. One excuse Kaepernick doesn't have that the other two do is that he hasn't had to deal with injuries.

I would like to see Sean Mannion learn how to be a complete NFL QB for a few seasons by watching Foles play before he's given a chance to start.

Kaepernick did not start as a rookie.

RG3 and Kaepernick are similar. Gimmick offense QBs.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Kaepernick did not start as a rookie.

He wasn't thrown straight into the fire, he sat for a year plus behind Alex Smith.

Technically you're correct but he did play in 3 games his rookie season and then took over in game 10 of his second season after the Rams knocked out Alex Smith. He played in 16 games over his first two seasons. Obviously the guy needed more seasoning.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...appened-49ers-qb-kaepernick-article-1.2392647

Sunday Morning QB: Once a budding star, 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick sees rest of NFL passing him by
Gary Myers/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Saturday, October 10, 2015

Colin Kaepernick was supposed to be the next big thing in the NFL, but now he’s just another in a string of struggling quarterbacks the Giants are facing to turn their season around.

After losing to Tony Romo and Matt Ryan in the first two weeks, the Giants have defeated Kirk Cousins and Tyrod Taylor and Sunday night face Kaepernick. In San Francisco’s 47-7 loss to the Cardinals two weeks ago, Kaepernick’s first and fourth passes were intercepted and returned for touchdowns.

After leading the 49ers to the Super Bowl and nearly beating the Ravens following the 2012 season, Kaepernick made it to the NFC title game the next year and lost to Seattle. In each game, he was throwing into the end zone on the 49ers final play with a chance to win. He was incomplete against the Ravens and picked off by Seattle.

Last year, the Niners fell to 8-8 amid season-long speculation — which turned out to be true — that Jim Harbaugh was on his way out. Kaepernick began to regress under Harbaugh, who drafted him and is a terrific quarterback teacher, even though his numbers were respectable: 19 TDs, 10 INTs and a career high 3,369 yards.

After defeating the Vikings in the season opener this year, the 49ers lost to the Steelers and Cardinals on the road (they were outscored, 90-25) and played the Packers tough last week at home, limiting Aaron Rodgers to 17 points. But Kaepernick’s offense produced just three. For the season, he has two TDs and five INTs. Coach Jim Tomsula encouraged him not to play tentative and go out and make plays.

What’s happened to him?

Defenses have simply caught up to read-option quarterbacks and forced them to win games from the pocket. Russell Wilson can do that. Robert Griffin III was so bad he got beat out by Cousins. And now Kaepernick, still the strongest running quarterback in the league, has transitioned from a franchise quarterback into a quarterback who might not be with the franchise much longer.

“With the new-wave quarterbacks, if you design the offense to run from the pocket, most of them are going to fail,” one source said. “You got to get them on the perimeter for them to be effective. It’s a new wave in terms of what the colleges are producing. The NFL hasn’t been able to harness how to get them to play with that kind of production at the professional level.”

If Harbaugh had remained rather than being run out of town by management back to his alma mater at Michigan, then Kaepernick would have had a better chance of getting straightened out.

Instead, he looks lost.

He signed a six-year $114 million contract last year that is structured to allow the 49ers to get out without much of a financial burden.

“When he was having success, he was able to do what he does best — 1-2, throw,” the source said. “When nobody was open he would take off and make plays with his feet. Teams didn’t know how to defend him. They were more afraid of his feet than his arm and his ability to make plays in the pocket. So, they changed how they play him. Now they force him to throw and keep him in the pocket. Before, he knew the defenses better than they knew him. Now they know him better than he knows them.”

The Giants’ rejuvenated defense is catching Kaepernick with his arrow pointing down with no guarantee it will ever point up again.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
is that you, jaws?

No, but I sure do wish the Rams kept Ron Jaworski instead of Pat Haden from yesteryear!
ron_jaworski_1976_10_17.jpg

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I have to say is wow, how the mighty have fallen. Much like when Rams management and Martz couldn't get on the same page and blew up a great thing due to egos, Whiners are now going to find out the hard way how much a coach and his staff have on the continuity of a team. Crazy how fast the plunge to the bottom happened, but it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys. SOSAR? SOSA49's for years to come!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Ah, got to love that "I told you so" moment when it happens. Many here saw the writing on the wall when all these "new generation" running QBs were coming out of college. They were going to be the future face of the NFL. They were going to change the way Ds had to play. They were going to revolutionize the game. Now, a handful of years later, they are all but gone, sitting on the bench or crashing and burning. Russell Wilson is the last one standing and that is only because he looks to throw first before running. And even he is being figured out and not as effective as he once was in the first couple of seasons. I fear it is too late for the whole gaggle of them for these poor pups to learn new tricks. Same as it ever was!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The dude is 27 and its his 5th year in the NFL. Theres never been a big injury that may have put a hold on his development. He wasn't thrown straight into the fire, he sat for a year plus behind Alex Smith.

The guy doesn't have it. Love his athletic ability or arm strength or anything you want, he cannot figure out how to progress through his reads and defenses have him completely figured out.

I've always loved the Fry avi........

I'm yer Leela hahahahah

OK no I'm not.........it's @-X-