Jimmy Garoppolo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Real NFL QB talent is so hard to find today that you would never allow it to leave your team. Especially when your pretty boy starter is very long in the tooth.

Well when you just extended that pretty boy starter for several more years and truly believe he will be able to play out the contract and the back ups contract is up in 2 years do you trade him while he has value or just let him walk in 2 years to go find a starting gig somewhere else?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That trade scenario makes sense. I agree about being leery of any backup without game experience. I am probably a little more bullish on this player because I really liked him coming out college.

I did too. Really wanted the Rams to pick him. QBs can be draft gold if developed enough to be competent. I liked Devanney's idea that a team should draft a QB every year to every other year, for that reason....that and you could get lucky.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Well when you just extended that pretty boy starter for several more years and truly believe he will be able to play out the contract and the back ups contract is up in 2 years do you trade him while he has value or just let him walk in 2 years to go find a starting gig somewhere else?

That extention was more about moving dollars around on paper than believing tom terrific is invincible.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I did too. Really wanted the Rams to pick him. QBs can be draft gold if developed enough to be competent. I liked Devanney's idea that a team should draft a QB every year to every other year, for that reason....that and you could get lucky.

I agree with this based on how important the position is.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Back in our RRF days, I think we debated this lol. I like to think I was ahead of the curve when it came to this player, kind of like you with Bortles. I have said in another post I get how people overate the backups sometimes. Heck look how everyone is on the Hundley band wagon now. He had 2 amazing preseason games against 2 teams that dont play defense but I would agree he looks like a player teams may have missed on.

That being said, Garoppolo also had an amazing preseason and there was some pressure to perform because at that time Brady was suspended for 4 games. Kid was 61-80, 554 yards, 2 TDs and 2 picks. 76.2% completion percentage. His velocity is fine right now, would even say its a strength now. As for handling pressure, I wouldnt call it a weakness but there is room for him to grow there. He can manipulate the pocket when it is collapsing, again he can still improve but not sure I would call it a weakness.

Typically when he is forced to to hold the ball beyond his first read its because someone missed an assignment. That offense is based on LOS reads. When he and the receiver make the same read its will always look smooth, when an assignment is missed he needs to look off and its only a 3 step drop so there are bodies at the feet of the QB, so that can make any QB look awkward. He is still able to step back and wait for 2nd and 3rd reads. Its the same for Brady on those 3 step drops. When they call for traditional 5-7 step drops he excels beyond his first read.

All this being said, I would love the Rams to get him. To me he is far and away the best QB on this roster. It would probably require a 2nd rounder this year. I know locally they are saying the Pats "want" a 1st rounder next year. They are also trying to gain picks for next year so you might be able to package a 3rd this year as well as a 2nd next, something like that.

Boston, you know I respect your opinion but we don't see eye to eye on Jimmy. He doesn't get a lot on passes over 10 yards. Arm isn't a plus for me. He has a quick release and he's comfortable throwing short passes to his first read.(which was what his college system was built around) But I didn't like how he handled coming off that first read.

I'm not saying the kid is awful. I'm just saying that he strikes me as another Kevin Kolb type QB. Has some physical limitations, doesn't do well outside the structure of the system, and gets rattled by pressure. If I'm giving up a 2nd and more, I'd rather take a chance on Brett Hundley. Better tools, better preseason film, and he's got more time left on his rookie contract (cheap).

They didnt play Buffalo this preseason year.

They played Buffalo in the regular season in 2014. Garoppolo played half of that game.(last game of the year) I watched that game and his 2015 preseason.