Jimmy Garoppolo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I was listening to the Rich Eisen show on my lunch break and they were saying the Pats will be Shopping him in efforts to regain there lost first round pick or something close to that however there was a clause in that they couldn't acquire a pick higher than the 29th pick as part of the punishment. Obviously nobody picking 29-32 need a QB so thats probably off the table for them but I bet they would take one of our 2nds and 4ths or and second this year and next year for him. I sure as hell hope Snead is kicking the tires on this it would be huge if we could get Garoppalo and still have a 1st and 2nd round pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Most overrated backup among fans in the league IMO. Pats drafted him so he must be amazing right?

I'm not that high on him, clearly, think he's nothing more than a backup which is something the Rams have in spades.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most overrated backup among fans in the league IMO. Pats drafted him so he must be amazing right?

I'm not that high on him, clearly, think he's nothing more than a backup which is something the Rams have in spades.

I don't know man the dude sure has all the tools to be a very good QB in this league I was screaming for the Rams to draft him when he came out. Hes had 3 years to sit and learn behind Brady and does have a few starts under his belt. Id much rather give up a 2nd rounder and a future pick than give up the whole draft to move up to get Goff. He may not pan out but Its sure as hell worth that kind of risk if there is any chance this guy could come in and at least be an above average starting QB. Thats all we need.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
By Michael Hurley, CBS Boston

BOSTON (CBS) — Within minutes, or perhaps even seconds, of news breaking Monday that Tom Brady signed a two-year extension to stay with the Patriots through 2019, the speculation about Jimmy Garoppolo’s future began.

It makes sense, of course. He is a backup quarterback, and he seems to be a pretty good backup quarterback, one who’s taken some big steps forward in his two years since getting drafted out of Eastern Illinois. He may well become a solid NFL quarterback. He may end up getting a starting job only to find out that he’s in way over his head before getting cycled out of the league in a matter of two years. It’s simply difficult to properly forecast at that position.

So, given all of those unknowns, it stands to reason that if the Patriots were to try to trade him this offseason, the return might not be great. After all, Ryan Mallett received much of the same hype locally for his rocket arm, and the Patriots only got a seventh-round pick for him. The Patriots let Brian Hoyer walk for nothing, and certainly, a parade of backups has left New England without so much as a mid-round pick coming back.

(The exception, of course, was Matt Cassel, who was sent away with Mike Vrabel in exchange for an early second-rounder. But Cassel had a full year of being an NFL starter under his belt, and so teams were smitten.)

(For what it’s worth, that pick became Patrick Chung.)

But there are two unique circumstances which are at play this year, and both provide reason to believe that perhaps the return on Garoppolo might be decent.

1. Teams Do Stupid Things For Quarterbacks

This is just an unassailable fact about men who run football teams. They rightly place a lot of value on the most important position on the field, yet they’re so overwhelmed by that significance that they often forget to pay close enough attention to the person in whom they’re actually investing.

This really bears itself out in the draft every year, when teams dedicate their most valuable assets (first- and second-round picks) to unknown commodities, in the hopes that they’re discovering the next Hall of Fame quarterback. All too often, these picks prove to be costly misfires.

I’m going to list for you some highlighted portions of recent drafts. I’ll include some of the whiffs at QB as well as some of the star players at other positions whom teams lost out on due to their Pavlonian response to salivate at the sight of a strong-armed QB.

(Quarterbacks are in bold. Players that could have been drafted instead of the QBs are not in bold. That list of missed opportunities is far from comprehensive; it is presented merely to illustrate a point. And finally, the 2011 and 2010 misfires are tied as the funniest/worst of the bunch.)

22. Johnny Manziel, Cleveland

23 – 256. Literally anybody else

16. E.J. Manuel, Buffalo
18. Eric Reid, San Francisco
20. Kyle Long, Chicago
21. Tyler Eifert, Cincinnati
22. Desmond Trufant, Atlanta
27. DeAndre Hopkins, Houston
39. Geno Smith, New York Jets
46. Kiko Alonso, Buffalo
48. Le’Veon Bell, Pittsburgh
52. Jamie Collins, New England
61. Eddie Lacey, Green Bay

2. Robert Griffin III, Washington
8. Ryan Tannehill, Miami

9. Luke Kuechly, Carolina
21. Chandler Jones, New England
22. Brandon Weeden, Cleveland
25. Dont’a Hightower, New England
26. Whitney Mercilus, Houston
31. Doug Martin, Tampa Bay
45. Alshon Jeffery, Chicago
47. Bobby Wagner, Seattle
57. Brock Osweiler, Denver
58. Lavonte David, Tampa Bay
75. Russell Wilson, Seattle

8. Jake Locker, Tennessee

9. Tyron Smith, Dallas
10. Blaine Gabbert, Jacksonville
11. J.J. Watt, Houston
12. Christian Ponder, Minnesota
13. Nick Fairley, Detroit
14. Robert Quinn, St. Louis
15. Mike Pouncey, Miami
16. Ryan Kerrigan, Washington
24. Cameron Jordan, New Orleans
30. Muhammad Wilkerson, New York Jets

1. Sam Bradford, St. Louis

2. Ndamukong Suh, Detroit
3. Gerald McCoy, Tampa Bay
4. Trent Williams, Washington
5. Eric Berry, Kansas City
6. Russell Okung, Seattle
7. Joe Haden, Cleveland
9. C.J. Spiller, Buffalo
12. Ryan Mathews, San Diego
14. Earl Thomas, Seattle
15. Jason Pierre-Paul, New York Giants
17. Mike Iupati, San Francisco
18. Maurkice Pouncey, Pittsburgh
22. Demaryius Thomas, Denver
24. Dez Bryant, Dallas
25. Tim Tebow, Denver
27. Devin McCourty, New England
42. Rob Gronkowski, New England

6. Mark Sanchez, New York Jets
9. B.J. Raji, Green Bay
13. Brian Orakpo, Washington
14. Malcolm Jenkins, New Orleans
17. Josh Freeman, Tampa Bay
19. Jeremy Maclin, Philadelphia
21. Alex Mack, Cleveland
22. Percy Harvin, Minnesota
25. Vontae Davis, Miami
26. Clay Matthews, Green Bay
44. Pat White, Miami
46. Connor Barwin, Houston
49. Max Unger, Seattle
53. LeSean McCoy, Philadelphia

Pat White!

OK, you get the picture.

Essentially, every GM and personnel man in the NFL would be better at their jobs if they weren’t allowed to spend draft picks on quarterbacks. Aside from the no-brainers like Andrew Luck, the practice of drafting a quarterback is a wretched endeavor. Yet every singly year, teams show they can’t learn their lessons, and they take risks on guys who end up out of the NFL within four years.

Keep that in mind as we discuss point No. 2.

2. The QB Crop In This Year’s Draft Is Weak

The quarterback expected to be drafted first is a guy in Carson Wentz whose last game came against Jacksonville State and a guy who played his best football against Montana, Weber State and the University of North Dakota. Or it’s Jared Goff, or Paxton Lynch, Connor Cook or Christian Hackenberg.

Is there a chance that one of those guys goes on to have a successful NFL career? Sure. But it’s every bit as likely that most or all them end up like so many quarterback prospects before them: mediocre. Or, worse, they could be just plain bad.

That much remains somewhat unknown, and that’s where the sell job begins for the Patriots. Just two years ago, Jimmy Garoppolo was that uncertain player, but since then he’s studied under Tom Brady and learned in Bill Belichick’s and Josh McDaniels’ meeting rooms. He’s worked in one of the more elaborate offenses in the league, and he’s received nothing but praise from his teammates and coaches.

Given the way personnel men tend to lose all reason when considering quarterbacks, the Patriots could just say “this could be the guy” and let that do some bamboozling.

Of course, nobody is foolish enough to give up a first-rounder, and likely, it’d be tough to get a second-rounder in return. (Garoppolo himself was a late second-round pick at No. 62.) But what about, say, a third and a sixth? Or what about a fourth in 2016 and a third in 2017? Considering Garoppolo only has thrown 31 more passes in the NFL than all of this year’s prospects, that could be considered a decent return.

Then, there would be other considerations. Namely, the Patriots would need to find a viable backup for Brady, and if that would require the team spending a draft pick in the first four rounds of this year’s draft, then the whole deal becomes questionable. Given the Patriots’ lack of a first-round pick, every pick becomes that much more valuable this year, so spending a fourth-round pick on a quarterback who will end up just filling Garoppolo’s roster spot may not be worth it.

But, well, if you look at the history of how quarterback-thirsty teams get, and if you look at how poorly some teams have allocated their assets in trying to acquire a passer, you have to recognize that there is a chance that one team overspends tremendously on the “potential” of Garoppolo.

And as Belichick has shown over the years that if a smart deal presents itself, he won’t hesitate to make it.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
IIRC, JG had the size and arm strength when he was drafted. And if he hasnt learned enough to be above average in 3 yrs behind Brady there is a serious problem in NE. And as much as I dislike NE, I still have believe they are doing something right. Now that may be that they arent getting caught cheating, but still they are doing it right.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
its worth looking into.

upload_2016-3-1_12-36-9.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
But, well, if you look at the history of how quarterback-thirsty teams get, and if you look at how poorly some teams have allocated their assets in trying to acquire a passer, you have to recognize that there is a chance that one team overspends tremendously on the “potential” of Garoppolo.

If that team is the Rams I am gonna be p!$$ed.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

I really liked him coming out. He had/has one of the quickest releases and above average pocket awareness. Manipulates the pocket well and can go through all his progressions. I know its only preseason but he has been almost perfect in every preseason game for the Pats.

I get how sometimes backups get completely overrated, but I dont think he is one of them. He was drafted to replace Brady. They year they drafted him was the year after Bradys worst year in a while. I dont think the Patriots really want to move him but because they would like to have someone in the system for 2 years before turning over the team to them, it makes sense to move Garoppolo now and take this year or next to replace Brady.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Maybe its those small hands in North Eastern outdoor stadium in serious cold wet event again??
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1760229/jimmy-garoppolo

STRENGTHS: Good, not great, height, body type and hand size. Better than adequate arm strength with a snap release that produces some juice. Live arm with his experience coming from a pass-happy offense.

Excellent passing vision with quick eyes to scan and a quick, natural delivery. Smart and executes the offense well. Quick intellectual process on the football field. Above average timing with little unnecessary movements and very good pace in his set-up.

Quick feet to evade pressure with the pocket mobility to move his lower body with his eyes focused downfield. Gets "happy feet" at times, but shows the ability to reset. Very good touch and overall placement with improved accuracy to all levels of the field throughout his career.

Level-headed and always under control with a strong leadership presence. Confident thrower and short memory. Elite career production as a four-year starter at the FCS level.

WEAKNESSES: Lack of elite velocity will show on some NFL throws. Needs to continue to improve his decision-making and not allow pressure to severely alter his process. Bad habit of forcing throws in small windows. Lower-than-ideal release point with an almost side-arm motion.

Needs to get his feet under control on a consistent basis and regularly step into his throws. Must continue and develop his pocket awareness and internal clock to feel pressure. Holds the ball too long at times and will take unnecessary hits.

Experience is in a FCS spread, shotgun attack; needs to become more acclimated with under-center snaps.

COMPARES TO: Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys - The comparison goes beyond coming from the same college program. Both lack elite physical skills, but are productive due to their timing, smarts and quick release to get the ball out.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jimmy-garoppolo?id=2543801

Analysis

Strengths
Has a very quick trigger and good wrist snap that translates to a smooth throwing motion and clean, compact delivery (no windup). Lightning release quickness. Urgent decision maker. Sells play-action. Athletic enough to slide in the pocket and buy time with his feet while keeping his eyes downfield. Good anticipation -- throws his receivers open. Can change ball speeds and drop it in a bucket. Does not take unnecessary sacks and will dump the ball. Will deliver the ball looking down the barrel of a gun. Tough-minded and poised in the pocket -- can withstand a hit and pop back up. Highly competitive. Smart, respected, vocal team leader. Very durable, experienced, four-year starter. Good football intelligence.

Weaknesses
Is a tad undersized with small hands and short arms. Uses a three-quarters delivery that could lead to batted balls. Works heavily out of the shotgun in a spread offense, and footwork could require adjustment to working from under center. Does not always feel pressure in the pocket. Does not rip the deep out or drive the ball with high RPMs. Undershoots and often hangs the deep ball. Makes receivers work for the ball downfield, and deep accuracy could stand to improve. Makes a lot of simple, one-look reads and was not heavily challenged by consistent pressure or complex looks in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Draft Projection
Round 2

Bottom Line
A decorated FCS passer, Garoppolo could excite quarterback coaches with his quick delivery, mental make-up and work habits, yet he still needs to prove he can fit the ball into tight windows and do more than carve up soft shells the way he regularly did on his way to a record-breaking performance in college. Possesses the physical tools to eventually earn an NFL starting job in a rhythm passing game with continued refinement but is more of a caretaker than a game changer and will require some patience adapting to the NFL gam

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Very quick release. I wanted the Rams to pick him as a developmental QB. Crazy good synapse. That is an elite trait. He had other things to work on and I would think the Patriots have worked on them. I guess if Brady keeps playing they may lose him to free agency eventually.

What's he worth? Maybe a fourth? It would be nice to see some real live game film.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Very quick release. I wanted the Rams to pick him as a developmental QB. Crazy good synapse. That is an elite trait. He had other things to work on and I would think the Patriots have worked on them. I guess if Brady keeps playing they may lose him to free agency eventually.

What's he worth? Maybe a fourth? It would be nice to see some real live game film.

The Pats need a RB's & OL'ers real bad. Maybe we could offer up a OL'er Rodger Saffold & Tre mason & the 4th 111 draft pick? but probably will require a 2nd rounder.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Patriots backup should carry the message of "will never be as good w/ you as he was w/ us." They never live up to the hype......or the cost.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know why people fall for this year after year. There are some backups worth considering...Garoppolo isn't one. Turn on his preseason film or his half against Buffalo a couple years ago. He's not what people think he is. Struggles to generate velocity down the field, doesn't handle pressure well, struggles coming off his first read, and looks shaky with the pocket collapsing around him. Garoppolo looks plenty good when he can get the ball out to his first read at the top of his drop on an under 10 yard throw. But when he's forced to hold the ball, advance beyond his first read, or push the ball down the field, he doesn't look good.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
I don't know why people fall for this year after year. There are some backups worth considering...Garoppolo isn't one. Turn on his preseason film or his half against Buffalo a couple years ago. He's not what people think he is. Struggles to generate velocity down the field, doesn't handle pressure well, struggles coming off his first read, and looks shaky with the pocket collapsing around him. Garoppolo looks plenty good when he can get the ball out to his first read at the top of his drop on an under 10 yard throw. But when he's forced to hold the ball, advance beyond his first read, or push the ball down the field, he doesn't look good.
He was a pre-season rookie! Is it possible he has gotten better with two years behind Brady?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Garoppolo doesn't do much for me. Meh.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Patriots way. They keep a rookie QB as backup and then let him go before he costs anything significant. Matt Cassel, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallet, now Garappolo. The Pats QB that you'd want under center is #12

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Here is another name to throw in the hat... Don't know much about the guy. Anyone have any thoughts?

Ryan Nassib - QB - Giants
The New York Daily News' Ralph Vacchiano has "a feeling" the Giants "might consider" trading backup QB Ryan Nassib this offseason.

Nassib is entering the final year of his rookie contract, and the Giants just signed Eli Manning to another extension last year. New York reportedly received offers on Nassib around draft time last year, but ultimately decided to hold onto the former fourth-round pick. In a weak quarterback market for free agency and the draft, it wouldn't hurt to see what Nassib could bring back. He's attempted just 10 regular-season passes, completing nine for 128 yards and a TD.

Source: New York Daily News
Mar 2 - 9:46 AM

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Back in our RRF days, I think we debated this lol. I like to think I was ahead of the curve when it came to this player, kind of like you with Bortles. I have said in another post I get how people overate the backups sometimes. Heck look how everyone is on the Hundley band wagon now. He had 2 amazing preseason games against 2 teams that dont play defense but I would agree he looks like a player teams may have missed on.

That being said, Garoppolo also had an amazing preseason and there was some pressure to perform because at that time Brady was suspended for 4 games. Kid was 61-80, 554 yards, 2 TDs and 2 picks. 76.2% completion percentage. His velocity is fine right now, would even say its a strength now. As for handling pressure, I wouldnt call it a weakness but there is room for him to grow there. He can manipulate the pocket when it is collapsing, again he can still improve but not sure I would call it a weakness.

Typically when he is forced to to hold the ball beyond his first read its because someone missed an assignment. That offense is based on LOS reads. When he and the receiver make the same read its will always look smooth, when an assignment is missed he needs to look off and its only a 3 step drop so there are bodies at the feet of the QB, so that can make any QB look awkward. He is still able to step back and wait for 2nd and 3rd reads. Its the same for Brady on those 3 step drops. When they call for traditional 5-7 step drops he excels beyond his first read.

All this being said, I would love the Rams to get him. To me he is far and away the best QB on this roster. It would probably require a 2nd rounder this year. I know locally they are saying the Pats "want" a 1st rounder next year. They are also trying to gain picks for next year so you might be able to package a 3rd this year as well as a 2nd next, something like that.