Jimmy Garoppolo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Back in our RRF days, I think we debated this lol. I like to think I was ahead of the curve when it came to this player, kind of like you with Bortles. I have said in another post I get how people overate the backups sometimes. Heck look how everyone is on the Hundley band wagon now. He had 2 amazing preseason games against 2 teams that dont play defense but I would agree he looks like a player teams may have missed on.

That being said, Garoppolo also had an amazing preseason and there was some pressure to perform because at that time Brady was suspended for 4 games. Kid was 61-80, 554 yards, 2 TDs and 2 picks. 76.2% completion percentage. His velocity is fine right now, would even say its a strength now. As for handling pressure, I wouldnt call it a weakness but there is room for him to grow there. He can manipulate the pocket when it is collapsing, again he can still improve but not sure I would call it a weakness.

Typically when he is forced to to hold the ball beyond his first read its because someone missed an assignment. That offense is based on LOS reads. When he and the receiver make the same read its will always look smooth, when an assignment is missed he needs to look off and its only a 3 step drop so there are bodies at the feet of the QB, so that can make any QB look awkward. He is still able to step back and wait for 2nd and 3rd reads. Its the same for Brady on those 3 step drops. When they call for traditional 5-7 step drops he excels beyond his first read.

All this being said, I would love the Rams to get him. To me he is far and away the best QB on this roster. It would probably require a 2nd rounder this year. I know locally they are saying the Pats "want" a 1st rounder next year. They are also trying to gain picks for next year so you might be able to package a 3rd this year as well as a 2nd next, something like that.

This is more in line with what I thought. Garapolo has a very quick release and is a fast decision maker.....at least in college and offseason examination. He looked good in preseason. I am leery of any backup QB that has not gone under fire in real games but he is worth a look IMO. I said give them a 4th. Maybe they would take a conditional pick depending on what he ends up doing. If he wins the starting job give them their second rounder. If he cannot beat out Keenum then they keep the 4th or 6th or whatever it is. The Patriots will know what he will be able to do. Their pro personnel guy will know who Keenum is and what he is capable of. Just demanding a second or first is dumb. Wont he be a free agent next year?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Pats need a RB's & OL'ers real bad. Maybe we could offer up a OL'er Rodger Saffold & Tre mason & the 4th 111 draft pick? but probably will require a 2nd rounder.

Garapolo didn't really prove enough to warrant a second round pick. Proven players often get traded for 7th round picks. I think starting at a 4th is reasonable and then if need be throw in a player like you said, or start talking third. Already on this site we have two completely different opinions about how good Garapolo looked in his limited playing time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Carson Palmer got traded to Arizona for a 6th round pick, Alex Smith to KC for a 2nd rounder. These are guys with NFL experience/success.
Cant imagine an inexperienced kid would garner more than a 4th rounder.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Garapolo didn't really prove enough to warrant a second round pick. Proven players often get traded for 7th round picks. I think starting at a 4th is reasonable and then if need be throw in a player like you said, or start talking third. Already on this site we have two completely different opinions about how good Garapolo looked in his limited playing time.

I know that a RB like Mason & a versatile experience OL'er like Saffold would raise their ears up here because they have big problems in these two areas. I certainly do not see where having a Garapolo here competing @ QB with the other three would be a bad ideal.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

This is the guy I want. If your concerned about his pocket presence or concerned about his ability when the pocket collapse, this video proves he can manipulate the pocket and has poise when the pocket collapses.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
This is more in line with what I thought. Garapolo has a very quick release and is a fast decision maker.....at least in college and offseason examination. He looked good in preseason. I am leery of any backup QB that has not gone under fire in real games but he is worth a look IMO. I said give them a 4th. Maybe they would take a conditional pick depending on what he ends up doing. If he wins the starting job give them their second rounder. If he cannot beat out Keenum then they keep the 4th or 6th or whatever it is. The Patriots will know what he will be able to do. Their pro personnel guy will know who Keenum is and what he is capable of. Just demanding a second or first is dumb. Wont he be a free agent next year?

That trade scenario makes sense. I agree about being leery of any backup without game experience. I am probably a little more bullish on this player because I really liked him coming out college.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Wont he be a free agent next year?

No, not until 2018. So if we acquired him this offseason, you have 2 years left on his rookie contract. Probably the main reason NE wont give him for less than a 2nd IMO. He is more valuable and will get a better return than he would next off season.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If you saw or read Snead's interview from a week or two ago you can see they the Rams' FO has done a lot of research when it comes to the value of QBs that indicate they and the offense are important but not as important in winning consistently as defense.

I don't have the numbers but they were something along the lines of holding an opponent un17, 17-23 and 24+ and how the QB play affected those teams. It gave me the distinct impression that the Rams will not be selling out anytime soon to draft or trade for a QB. And, that they will continue to search for defensive excellence above all.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you saw or read Snead's interview from a week or two ago you can see they the Rams' FO has done a lot of research when it comes to the value of QBs that indicate they and the offense are important but not as important in winning consistently as defense.

I don't have the numbers but they were something along the lines of holding an opponent un17, 17-23 and 24+ and how the QB play affected those teams. It gave me the distinct impression that the Rams will not be selling out anytime soon to draft or trade for a QB. And, that they will continue to search for defensive excellence above all.

Or maybe there not that stupid and that was all just a smoke screen.

Last edited:

Ram Man

Rookie
Garoppolo ain't going anywhere this year. He will make like $900K per year over the next 2 years. That is essentially nothing for a competent number 2 quarterback these days. The Patriots knew for a while the possibility that Brady would be suspended for a part of last season. Despite this, they chose to stay with Garoppolo. He can run the Patriots complex offense, has played well in the preseason and is cheap. The kid has more value to the Patriots than anything the Patriots will get in a trade for him.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Garoppolo ain't going anywhere this year. He will make like $900K per year over the next 2 years. That is essentially nothing for a competent number 2 quarterback these days. The Patriots knew for a while the possibility that Brady would be suspended for a part of last season. Despite this, they chose to stay with Garoppolo. He can run the Patriots complex offense, has played well in the preseason and is cheap. The kid has more value to the Patriots than anything the Patriots will get in a trade for him.

If they still had there first round pick Id say theres no way hes going anywhere but without that 1st round pick I think if a team came calling with a decent offer I think they would pull the trigger. I know Brady is getting up there in age but they just signed him to an extension so they might as well get something out of Garoppolo while they can. He will be worth a lot less next year in the last year of his deal.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If those bastards really were trying to trade this kid... I would stay the hell away. Those cheating lying pieces of shit would not be trading him if they thought he was a real talent.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I wanted the guy when he came out, but he does nothing for me now!

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
If those bastards really were trying to trade this kid... I would stay the hell away. Those cheating lying pieces of crap would not be trading him if they thought he was a real talent.

Why not? hes not doing them a whole lot of good holding a clip board. if they could get a decent pick or two or a player I think they would pull the trigger and draft another mid round QB to start developing behind Brady.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I like that he knows how to put some touch on his passes when needed. But he has a strange looking release sometimes when his feet are not planted.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Why not? hes not doing them a whole lot of good holding a clip board. if they could get a decent pick or two or a player I think they would pull the trigger and draft another mid round QB to start developing behind Brady.

Real NFL QB talent is so hard to find today that you would never allow it to leave your team. Especially when your pretty boy starter is very long in the tooth.