Jim Thomas - NFL Chat - 8/16/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. To read the whole chat click the link below. Keep in mind that JT hasn't watched Hard Knocks nor much of the Rams-Cowboys game. Come for the negativity, stay for the gifs.
****************************************************************************************
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_23

fire.gif

Do you think the nfl has become corrupt as a cartel?

Don't know about that, but they certainly are all about the m-o-n-e-y

giphy.gif

-----------
Sloppy play, stupid penalties, horrible special teams.....the Rams are in mid-season form!!!

And Coty Sensabaugh...boy does he look like a sleeper when he is playing.

To top it all off, Fisher just may have manufactured the start of a QB controversy by showing off his first pick and then having Mannion win the game.

giphy.gif

Actually the Rams had only 2 penalties, and as Fisher pointed out _ I'm sure with some pride _ that was a league low in Week 1 of the preseason. Yeah Sensabaugh struggled. So did Joyner. Cornerback could be an issue. We'll see what happens with E.J. Gaines apparently playing this week vs. KC.
----------
Will Saffold stay at RT or move back to LG when the WI tackle returns?

I would think Saffold goes back to left tackle once Havenstein returns.

(Say what? Saffold will replace Robinson?) :shocking:
----------------
The guy who made the accusations about NFL players and PEDs for the Al Jazeera report eventually recanted his claims. So why is the league demanding that Matthews, Peppers, Harrison and others "talk" about PED use and threatening them with suspension if they don't? Seriously, what's going on here?

Because the league can. I think this will be a major point of emphasis when the next round of negotiations come around in the collective bargaining agreement. Just how much leeway the NFL office is given in such matters and obviously the status of Goodell as both jury and executioner. But the CBA doesn't expire for another 5 years.

roger-goodell1.jpg

--------------
Do the NFL owners care about issues of how much power Goodell has to decide punishments? In negotiating the next CBA, what will the players have to give up to rest this power from Goodell, that only effects a few players?

I think the owners probably like Goodell having the power. As for next CBA, that's an interesting question. Are the players willing to give up dollars across the board to change the disciplinary system? Again we have 5 years to wait before the CBA.
-----------
Did you see Hard Knocks, yet? Is "This is some 7-9 b*******" the new "Same Old Sorry A** Rams"?

brng.gif

You know I haven't. I've been on the road a lot lately, between Hall of Fame weekend and visiting camps. I'm actually in St. Joseph, Mo. right now finishing up a two-day visit to Chiefs camp.
-----------
BWAHAHA! Nice kickoff coverage!! Same 'ol Rams!

What do you think is behind their desire to extend Fisher and Snead? Stability in an otherwise unstable situation?

It was ridiculously easy, I'll say that.

ape-judging.gif

------------
What are the chances St. Louis gets the best games on TV instead of the Rams and Chiefs game every week?

It depends on the ratings. Think about this: the Bears play the Chiefs in the preseason I believe in Week 3. You'll have your choice of KTVI or KMOV in St. Louis to watch that game!
----------
Did you get to see the Dallas preseason game? How do you think LT Robinson looked? Has he finally arrived?

I've only been able to watch the first half so far. Yeah, Robinson looked good in his couple of series. That's better than the alternative, but it's hard to say he's arrived after just a handful of plays.
----------
Very strong showing game 1 support wise. Nearly 90,000 in the house. Go RAMS

good-day.gif

It was very impressive, no doubt. There were a lot of Cowboys fans in the stands however.

a-lighten-up-funny-quotes-300x210.jpg

-----------
You can doubt me all you want about 90% Ram's fans. But I spent a couple of hours out in the parking lots at the tailgate parties. Also walked around the concourse. While it was easy to spot a Cowboy fan, the Ram's fans outnumbered them greatly.

Hey, I wasn't there. But I know what I saw from the crowd shots.

giphy.gif

-----------
I read somewhere that a couple of months ago the rams tried to keep the "missouri labor law" language in players' contracts to save a few bucks. Seems like Kroenke does like Missouri, somewhat.

Yes, this came out early in the free agency period. The Rams I believe have since adjusted the language.
----------
How do you feel about Dallas 1st and 2nd stringers putting a beating on the 3-13 Lambs?

goys.gif

Case Keenum looked pretty good, doing what he does. Short efficient passes. Mobility in the pocket. Benny Cunningham looked good _ I've always liked him and thought he should get the ball more. But the play of the secondary, particularly at cornerback, wasn't very good. Three drops by receivers in the first half. Some troubles with blitz pickup.

The way I've always approached preseason is to pay attention to the score when the regulars are in _ but watch particular players and don't pay attention to the score once you're using the third_ and fourth_ stringers. So with that in mind
-----------
I thought Ogletree was a little weak on run support. What did you see?

I didn't notice that. But that's not to say I'm disputing what you're saying _ I guess I was looking at other things.
----------
Jim, if you want to get that interview with Kroenke, do the thing you did on the "2 Bens" video: Stand by the side of the road (in this case, the Pacific Coast Highway) with your thumb out and see if Stan picks you up like Ben Frederickson did.

After all, the LA Times wrote a dreamy account over the weekend of how Stan likes to make the drive in his SUV down Hwy. 1 to the Coliseum and daydream about how he singlehandedly is altering the sports and entertainment landscape of La-La Land. I almost threw up on my keyboard reading it. Sam Farmer wrote it, and I'm wondering: When did he leave the Times to join Kroenke's payroll?

200.gif

I have saved that sign. Maybe I can put it to use again. I did notice Stan down on the field in the first half on Saturday. I can never recall Stan on the sidelines in a game in St. Louis.
-----------
Why did EJ not play against the Cowboys?

I believe it's a hamstring. He returned to practice Monday and is expected to play this week vs. KC.
-----------
Jim, what is our parade meter in St. Louis for the Rams? Maybe 12 or 13 losses?

I currently have them in the 5-11, 6-10 range, but reserve the right to change that through the end of the preseason.

wrong.gif

----------
JT....thanks for the chats in what will soon be an NFL desert. Will you keep these up once the LA Ram fans abandon this forum in the near future? Seems like Bonsignore and Farmer are no match for your insights and expertise. Cheers, amigo!

We will keep these chats going as long as there are questions, be they Rams questions or questions about the rest of the league.
----------
After seeing what the NFL did to St. Louis do you see San Diego or Oakland keeping their teams after this season?

The difference between St. Louis as opposed to Oakland or San Diego is that the owners in Oak and SD would rather keep their teams there with a new stadium. Obviously that wasn't the case in St. Louis. With nothing happening in Oakland, it looks like Mark Davis is genuinely intrigued with Las Vegas. As for San Diego, it's going to be tough to get that voter approval for the stadium in November.

Las_Vegas_Raiders.jpg

----------
I know it's a LONG shot - however, will you be keeping an eye on the situation down in Jacksonville to see how they are doing, both on and off the field, as they seem to be the one team - if any - that could possibly/eventually move to the Lou??

Interesting that you bring this up. I think as long as London is in play, Shad Khan might be interested in moving there. Once London is out of play _ and logistically, I still can't see a team working out there _ then I think he just might think about St. Louis. but I don't think that's anything that will happen in the near future. I just don't see Jacksonville being an NFL market long-term.

UKJags_original.png

----------
With regard to London, do you think the NFL will determine on their own that having a team in London is logistically impossible? Or do you think that it will take the Jaguars moving there before the league realizes that this isn't going to work?

I think the league would have to decide that a team would work in London before anyone moves there.
-----------
Speaking of Jacksonville...why don't you cover a couple of their games. Get with Khan and talk a little. You might be able to show him the love of the Lou again. He would be a rock star to come here as well as you bringing him here. Think about it Jim. You would have a statue outside that beautiful RF stadium that didn't happen.

I think there should be that statue of Warner handing off to Faulk in front of the dome, the one the guy proposed many years ago.
-----------
GOOD TO SEE THE RAMS BACK IN L.A. WHAT DO YOU SEE AS THE BIGGEST WEAKNESS ON THE TEAM AND CAN IT BE FIXED?

Wide receiver; doubtful it can be fixed with this group. Overall quarterback play; may not happen this year. Cornerback; maybe a healthy Gaines can shore up.
------------
Jim as time goes on and let's say you decide to retire. How about a week before your retirement you write an article on how you really feel about Stan and don't hold back. I mean not just what he did to us but what he's doing in Texas. This guy has no soul.

He is a cold, cold businessman, there's no doubt.

sour-grapes-1.png

------------
Jim, overall impressions on the Rams after the first preseason game?

I've expressed some of that in earlier answers. As a general rule, I try not to overreact based on what I see in the preseason. Teams usually get out of each preseason game what they put into it. By that I mean, are you vanilla in approach? Are you blitzing a lot on defense? Are you using some of your favorite plays _ the good stuff, so to speak _ on offense? Etc. And who's on the field at specific moments in the game.

For example, the Chiefs were very much in control against Seattle in their preseason game, up 16-6 late in the fourth quarter They played 5 QBs in the game _ something you never see. Then the Seahawks get a field goal and a TD (followed by a game-winning 2-point conversion) to win the game with players on the field that won't be there in September.

So I don't think you necessarily say, wow, what a great comeback by Seattle. I think it's more, man KC's frontline talent looks pretty good. And I think a little of that is at work in the Rams-Cowboys contest.
-----------
To say that your story on DGB's issues was timely would be a classic understatement!

Timing is everything in this business. Nonetheless, I was surprised that he was gone, what, 2 days after the article.
------------
What do you think the penalty would be if Goff was the one caught with a girl in the room?

051418fb329d5c7222040b0f6c765d27e86851.jpg

A slap on the wrist.
-----------
Wow, I did watch installment of HardKnocks. 2nd Ep. airs tonight. 1st episode scoffed at STL as an NFL city and emphasized the triumph of the NFL returning to LA. My take anyway. When it came to analysis of the Rams football, not so gratifying. Show truly zoned on team's inadequacies.

Is it really true that Goff hasn't taken a snap under center in all of his High School and collegiate career. Show deftly pointed out how much difficulty he was having with that, and calling plays. Well as discouraging as it was, I was glad to watch 1st episode. Even if i suppressed a lot of laughs along the way.

Goff isn't the Lone Ranger when it comes to not having snaps under center prior to the pros.. Lots of high school teams and most college teams operate out of the shotgun. It is a big change playing in a pro-style offense. Again, I haven't watched the Hard Knocks yet. I guess I'll have two episodes to catch up on when I get back to StL.

I did think the "open" to the Rams-Cowboys game on ESPN was interesting. This syrupy homage to the history and tradition of the Rams franchise, and not one mention of the Greatest Show on Turf in St. Louis. I guess the plan _ and this certainly seems to be the case with the Rams organization itself _ is to pretend like St. Louis never happened.
------------
Went to the game on Saturday. Why didn't the refs call the blatant holding and blocks in the back by Dallas on the opening kick? Have to say, it was a great experience. There were a lot of Cowboys, but I'd say at least 90% were Ram's fans.

Hey, the refs are in preseason mode as well. As for 90% being Rams fans, I'm kind of doubting you there. In fact, when the Cowboys were moving in for the field goal to make it 24-7 before the half, I could hear chants of "Let's go, Cow-boys!" on the TV copy I was watching.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

----------
How have the Rams changed (on the field) in the past 5 years? Goff may have a worse career than SB, WR is still a ?, OL is about the same, Gurley is good, but so was SJ39, D Line is good. Has there been much improvement anywhere?

giphy.gif

That's the whole point. It's as if the team has been running in place since 2012. Of course, if Goff is the real deal, that changes the dynamic.
------------
Jim - any predictions on how the TV ratings shape up locally? Personally I'm fine if the local stations play either the Bears, Rams, or Chiefs on a weekly basis. I can adjust to rooting for a different team. But I don't see how I'll remain interested in the NFL with the different team each week platform.

I think the Chiefs ratings might be better than the Bears, simply because the Chiefs are the better team right now. I can't predict what will happen once the regular season starts though in terms of what games are shown. Again, if the Rams rating are good, we may see a lot of Rams games on FOX
----------
Will the Chiefs first string D see Goff this weekend?

Depends on when Goff is in the game. Conversely, I wonder if the Rams' first-string defense will see Nick Foles.
---------
Jim, what's the Official Line on Sean Mannion? Is he destined to be the perennial clipboard-carrier or does he have a chance of getting under center some time this season?

Well, if he keeps throwing for what was it, three TD passes in the preseason, he'll be more than carrying a clipboard.
----------
I think Goff got some unfair bashing considering all the dropped passes, especially the one by Cooper. What did you think of Nelson Spruce?

applause.gif

Well, the pass to Cooper was a fine throw. I haven't watched the second half of the preseason game yet, so I can't really give you an opinion on Spruce, although I've always been a big believer in guys with good college production.
----------
regarding Goff, I thought he made some good throws, some dropped by receivers (go figure huh), but his footwork was something to be desired and he held the ball too long on his last sack. Just didnt seem like a #1 overall pick. What do you think about his performance Jim?

Don't want to make sweeping generalizations based on a few plays. It's pretty clear, though, that he's still in the thinking stage. And taking snaps under center is obviously an adjustment.
----------
I feel like the Rams have once again hurt themselves with their roster by going all in on Goff - wouldn't a top WR at pick #15 then a trade up for Paxton Lynch made more sense? I guess I don't really have a question....I'm just glad to be looking for a new team to root for.....

I liked Lynch a lot coming out. Fisher doesn't like to take receivers high in the draft.
----------
I hate all 32 NFL teams, and don't watch or read about them, but I like your stories about the Rams doing something stupid or the NFL being jerks. Please keep writing those.

baboo-o.gif

Well thank you
------------
Has the NFL announced the actual relocation fee that Stan had to pay? I heard rumors of $500M, but never heard the actual amount.

Yeah, I think that's been decided, and it was either $500M or $550M. But he gets to pay it off on a long-term basis, which shouldn't be a problem for Malibu Stan.
----------
What do you make of the low TV ratings in STL and LA for the Rams?

I didn't see the numbers. But it is the preseason.
----------
Fisher & Snead extensions? It is good to see that Kroenke still doesn't care about winning and that being in L.A. didn't change that.

It is a little mind-boggling. The rest of the league doesn't operate this way, that's for sure.

BnKfLowCAAAOK1r.jpg

-----------
Since the NFL has basically given the middle finger to anything that has to do with St. Louis Rams do you think the former St. Louis players will have a harder time making the Hall of Fame?

Bernie Miklasz does a tremendous job advocating St. Louis players. I think Warner gets in this time around. But I am concerned that the lack of a team in St. Louis will hurt players such as Bruce and Holt.
------------
Why do you suppose la ram fans still come to STL sites for nfl news? You are a major league talent, but wouldn't you think in the media capital of the world, you would have an insane amount of rams coverage? Or, is the rams return really not that big of a deal to the majority of la?

My sense is as time goes on, more LA Rams fans will be getting more of their Rams fix from the LA market. For the short term, however, they're just tapping into 21 years of perspective covering the team.
---------
Where did St. Louis rank as far as cost for a family of four to attend a game? What are your odds that the LA experience will be in the top 5 most expensive for the next few years.

St. Louis usually ranked somewhere around the bottom of the third quartile to the top of the fourth. I don't think the cost of watching the LA Rams will really skyrocket until they start playing in Inglewood.
-------------
Do you think Fisher has taken the Rams as far as he can go? It just seems like it is the same problems year after year.

giphy.gif

Sure seems that way. And once again, it's one of the youngest teams in the league.
-----------
I will be interested to see how Jenkins does in NY this year. He was good but not worth what they paid.

Well, teams had a lot of cap room this offseason, that's why there was so much money being thrown around. In that regard, I think the Rams miscalculated the market and should've tried to get Jenkins signed last year at this time if they really wanted him. Jenkins had a pretty thin skin when it came to criticism. Be interesting to see how he handles that on the big media stage of NYC.
----------
I actually watched the game Saturday after telling myself all off season that I was done with the NFL. But, I was curious and wanted to see LA's reaction to the team.

As I was watching, I found myself having mixed emotions. I still hate Stank and Demoff and am appalled and disgusted with the way the whole relocation was handled. But, I definitely could feel for the LA fans and them getting the Rams back. They were out in full force and I'm sure the players will appreciate playing for an energized fan base.

Also, I know the Coliseum is supposedly a dump, but it looked pretty good on TV. I couldn't help but feel that they probably never should have left LA. It made we wonder how I would feel if the Big Red would move back to the Lou after all these years, and I'm sure I would feel similar to the LA Rams fans.

So, I hope they enjoy having their team back and that maybe both cities can move past the LA Vs. STL thing. Because, in all honesty neither fan base is too blame, just the insatiable greed of the owners.

I guess I don't really have a question for you, I'm just surprised

Chuck_Norris_Approves.gif

A sane, logical, empathetic, thoughtful, and heartfelt response. What are you doing in this chat? But I do feel for the fans. They are mere pawns in all this.
-----------
That's all for today, ROD members, and remember....

200.gif

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stopped reading after 5 questions and the same old answers . Sour grapes . Here's to all the loyal fans !

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I cover the Rams, but haven't watched the game, nor Hard Knocks...enuff said, Frog Dick!.

frog-e1463035250812.jpg

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I stopped at the Saffold "returning" to LT. I'm going to TC in about a 1/2 hr and I don't want my good mood spoiled by reading JT's CRAP.

Ram65

Legend
This was decent. Last week not so good. JT doesn't get excited about the Rams.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I read it for Prime Time's gifs. :)

JT and some of these these salty fans would like nothing more than to see the Rams fall flat on their 4-12 face this year.
NOT GONNA HAPPEN. So whoever and wherever you are...get over it and go find an axe to grind in yo Daddy's shed out back.
:violin:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
" I only scanned through this^ for the Gifs!!!!":mrburnsevil:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
That made me nauseous..I thought he had hit the bottom of the barrel...I was wrong...The last words that I will read from JT have passed under the bridge ...He really has turned into a bitter writer who should find a couple of other dead horses to beat on...

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Prime, please indulge me and answer some questions.

Why do you keep posting J. Thomas. Do you like his analysis? My perception of your comments is no, you just like to mock him.

Do you like the questions from his posters? My view, is no.

From my perspective, you do not appear to value his responses or his posters comments/questions?

It seems to me that your post of Thomas' chats (which are highly edited) is designed to pump up the West coast fans at the expense of non West Coast fans. and then have the ROD Moderators cut off the comments from non West Coast fans when non LA Based fans express angry at the Rams?

Can we have some balance before you kill this thread?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A sane, logical, empathetic, thoughtful, and heartfelt response. What are you doing in this chat? But I do feel for the fans. They are mere pawns in all this.

Haha, jt might be a bitter old man but he sure knows his audience.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Prime, please indulge me and answer some questions.

Why do you keep posting J. Thomas. Do you like his analysis? My perception of your comments is no, you just like to mock him.

Do you like the questions from his posters? My view, is no.

From my perspective, you do not appear to value his responses or his posters comments/questions?

It seems to me that your post of Thomas' chats (which are highly edited) is designed to pump up the West coast fans at the expense of non West Coast fans. and then have the ROD Moderators cut off the comments from non West Coast fans when non LA Based fans express angry at the Rams?

Can we have some balance before you kill this thread?

I did a poll on this a few months back and asked the members if they wanted this thread to continue. The majority said "yes." If the majority decides they're tired of it and no longer want to read it then I'll gladly stop. It's about a two-hour job and I do have other things to do. For those who don't like it, it's quite simple: don't click on it.

As far as Jim Thomas goes, I have no particular bone to pick with him. He knows his chat has become a troll-fest for Rams haters. Notice his comment in the last question: "A sane, logical, empathetic, thoughtful, and heartfelt response. What are you doing in this chat?"

The gifs are there because I have a sense of humor, as do most ROD members. We can all use a laugh now and then, whether it's at JT's expense, the ones who post the questions, or at mine.

The West Coast vs. St. Louis feud has become tiresome. I pussyfooted around that topic since January and have now decided I'm a Rams fanatic no matter where they play. If people are offended by that then again...don't click the thread.

This week I'm going to rethink whether doing this thread each week is worth the effort I put into it. At this point I doubt it. That should make you happy.

Btw your "perception" and your "perspective" is your business and you're welcome to it, but it tends to piss me off when someone thinks they know my motivations when in fact they don't know me at all.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I have to admit, I can't not look, but I usually can't stay for the full course. He answers more questions now than he ever used to, and he's less informed. That's just my opinion. That, and I think he's a bitter frog dick.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JT thread is just like a William Hayes interview great for laughs cause you never know what kinda crazy the next question/answer will bring.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I did a poll on this a few months back and asked the members if they wanted this thread to continue. The majority said "yes." If the majority decides they're tired of it and no longer want to read it then I'll gladly stop. It's about a two-hour job and I do have other things to do. For those who don't like it, it's quite simple: don't click on it.

As far as Jim Thomas goes, I have no particular bone to pick with him. He knows his chat has become a troll-fest for Rams haters. Notice his comment in the last question: "A sane, logical, empathetic, thoughtful, and heartfelt response. What are you doing in this chat?"

The gifs are there because I have a sense of humor, as do most ROD members. We can all use a laugh now and then, whether it's at JT's expense, the ones who post the questions, or at mine.

The West Coast vs. St. Louis feud has become tiresome. I pussyfooted around that topic since January and have now decided I'm a Rams fanatic no matter where they play. If people are offended by that then again...don't click the thread.

This week I'm going to rethink whether doing this thread each week is worth the effort I put into it. At this point I doubt it. That should make you happy.

Btw your "perception" and your "perspective" is your business and you're welcome to it, but it tends to pee pee me off when someone thinks they know my motivations when in fact they don't know me at all.
I enjoy the work you put into it.
I read these every week.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
I did a poll on this a few months back and asked the members if they wanted this thread to continue. The majority said "yes." If the majority decides they're tired of it and no longer want to read it then I'll gladly stop. It's about a two-hour job and I do have other things to do. For those who don't like it, it's quite simple: don't click on it

It would be helpful to know when that decision was made; before or after the decision was made to move was finalized.