Jenkins tweets disgust with Rams lowball offer?? And other Jenkins negotiation info.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
A thought popped into my head with regard to our Jenkins and TruJo FA decision process.

I think perhaps one of these three statements are true...

1) The Rams got incredibly lucky to find JJ and Tru in the 2nd and 3rd rounds in '12. Not to mention Gaines in the 6th and Roberson in UDFA in '14. That would be a helluva lot of luck, huh?

2) The Rams can identify secondary talent very well and know when to grab the players that they like.

3) The Rams somehow develop their secondary players better than most teams. Kudos to GW and Chuck Cecil.

Maybe all three statements are true to some degree, but I think #'s 2 and 3 most apply.

So, if true, then we can look forward to more pleasant surprises if somehow both Jenkins and TruJo should walk.

I love being able to negotiate from a position of strength. Lol.
You may be onto something there.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Come on, X. The man has the right to negotiate the way he pleases. This is his business. It's his money. It's his future. Not our place to lecture him about how he conducts his business.
Why? If he is going to tweet this crap to the public, he should also expect the public to tweet what they think about it. Is he tweeting this with no hope of a response? Are only positive responses toward his tactics allowable? The fact is that it is a classless act and crap like this needs to be taken to task. You are free to disagree with that but it is just a part of a larger problem today.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Fair game for what? For a bunch of people that have nothing at stake to lecture him on professionalism? Jenkins isn't a rocket scientist but he knows what he's doing.

If he puts it out in front of them? Absolutely. And since when do the fans that as a whole pay for his fat checks not have anything at stake?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And you better bet the teams that are interested in him if he hits FA don't care at all that he's doing this. Because Jenkins is 27 years old. That means that new team likely won't have to go through this problem...because by the time his contract is ending, he'll be 31-33 years old. If he even sees the end of the contract. This is Jenkins's big pay-day.
Or it tells them they have a potential Cam Chancelor (sp?) situation or the dude will take to twitter any time he has an issue with his team. His coaches and team owners are not 27 year olds - nor do they view themselves as baby sitters. This kind of punk ass behavior will not be viewed as a plus by anyone aside from a few similar minded players.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why? If he is going to tweet this crap to the public, he should also expect the public to tweet what they think about it. Is he tweeting this with no hope of a response? Are only positive responses toward his tactics allowable? The fact is that it is a classless act and crap like this needs to be taken to task. You are free to disagree with that but it is just a part of a larger problem today.
If he puts it out in front of them? Absolutely. And since when do the fans that as a whole pay for his fat checks not have anything at stake?
Or it tells them they have a potential Cam Chancelor (sp?) situation or the dude will take to twitter any time he has an issue with his team. His coaches and team owners are not 27 year olds - nor do they view themselves as baby sitters. This kind of punk ass behavior will not be viewed as a plus by anyone aside from a few similar minded players.
71em100tfr82pgrzg.jpg

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is he talking about the Rams , or is he just talking about buying a house , I couldn't really make heads or tails out of anything he says

Agreed, it's hard to read most of the things he tweets so I guess it could be about a house. The "most thought I wouldn't last 4" seemed to refer to his career thus far that most people thought he'd get in trouble and be out of the league before his rookie contract was up. But you're right it's not exactly a clear picture he paints. Time will tell lol.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Is he talking about the Rams , or is he just talking about buying a house , I couldn't really make heads or tails out of anything he says

Well, true. He could be talking about a house.

Or a sleep number bed? :sneaky:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The fans don't pay for his checks to any greater extent than the customers at Publix pay for the cashier's check. The fans have nothing at stake.

If Jenkins is that guy, you wouldn't need to wait until now to confirm it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The fans don't pay for his checks to any greater extent than the customers at Publix pay for the cashier's check. The fans have nothing at stake.
The fans buy DirectTV and tickets to games. They buy the products the NFL games sell. They very much pay for JJ's check.

Joe blow cashier tweets about how his pay sucks and is wanting more money from them. How many minutes does he work for Publix? Maybe as long as Yelp chick kept her job?

Yeah - cuz everyone knows that players always maintain their good behavior after signing big second contracts and that they show everything they are about while on their cheaper rookie deals. Got it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Yeah, fans fund the entire thing and that's a fact. If nobody watched nobody would play.

Jenkins has always popped off on Twitter with weird stuff.

tempests

Hall of Fame
So, if true, then we can look forward to more pleasant surprises if somehow both Jenkins and TruJo should walk.

I love being able to negotiate from a position of strength. Lol.

I would say 4) The Rams have had success taking a chance on undervalued talent. Not just applicable to DB.

As # 2 goes, trading up for Joyner was not one of their better decisions.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

And it's a big reason most of us are nervous giving him a big contract. Why would the teams, with real skin in the game, feel any different?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have to disagree with you on some of your points about Barron. "Failed strong safety, but he hasn't played strong safety for 2 seasons he is playing S/LB role where he has been very productive."
I used the word Bust ....reason was when a Tampa Bay team uses a First Rd Top 10 #7 selection & this pick only completes 2 seasons before he is traded away.... Barron would be a Bust for the Bucs. But this needs to be said....I would not agree with your use of the word Failed as a SS in the NFL.

IMO Barron can be a good Strong Safety in Greggs Defense. Best when Gregg permits Barron to freely mix it up more near the line of scrimmage. Barron plays best when he is placed in a position to use his great nose to find the ball. Not so good when he has governors & specific one on one assignments on him. Gregg used Barron last season in his big safety Nickle when he had all 3 safeties (Rod,TJ & Barron) on the field together & had very good results. Once again it was Barron who went on the field & a OLB'er came off.

"Furthermore he was playing in a cover 2, which doesn't fit his skill set at all."
I fully agree with you here that a Cover 2 is a real bad fit for Barron's skill set as a DB. Barron's only season which he played in a Cover 2 was his half 2014 season with the Buccaneers until he was traded to the Rams. So Barron only played in 7 games in the Cover 2. Barron's first two seasons 2012/2013 he played for HC Greg Schiano who did not run anything close to a "Lovies Cover 2" defense. In 2012 Barron was a starter in the NFL's worst pass defense. In 2013 the Buc's added 2 all pro DB's who started with Barron Darrelle Revis & Dashon Goldson. This dynamic trio help the Buc's draft in the top 10 once again with a #7 pick.

On the other hand, In today's NFL that S/LB role is coveted in 3-4 and 4-3 defenses alike look at the Cardinals with Deone Buccanon playing as a full time 3-4 MLB.
Might be ?, but of the 32 NFL teams how many use this hybrid type Barron starting position in 2015? That number is very very small. I see no evidence of such covetousness. But we never know what the 2016 season may reveal to us ;). You may turn out that this might be trending new wave in the NFL we never know.

"My projection is 4.5 to 5 million based on comparable stats and contracts of current players playing SS and LB."

In truth we are not really disagreeing here I think 4 to 4.5 mil a year is what I am at.

On your DL point Lauranatis has played behind the same DL for the last 2 years and hasn't looked nearly as good.

I think we will find out real quick here in 2016 on just how far JL's skill set has falling off. JL would have looked like the second coming of Jamie Duncan if it were not for that DL!

"Also disagree with your Mcleod point. When an agent goes into a negotiation all he has is the empirical numbers and positional value. FS's are hard to find . Rodney makes 2.3 million this year he isn't going to hit the FA market as one of the top FS available and get a measly $700,00 raise. He grades highly in coverage and is solid in run support. His stats are comparable to Rahim Moore, Glover Quinn, and Mike Mitchell guys making for 4 to 5 million. His agent is going to use those numbers and comparable stats as the base number for negotiations"
I will maintain that Rodney McLeod will not get a long term 5 mil a yr contract with the LA Rams Members here who know me know that I am a very big Rodney McLeod fan.

Thanks for reading my post above & letting me have this discussion with you. I should Welcome you aboard StealYoGurley. I am very glad that you have joined us in here :cheers:& that I have another deep south Ram fan. This forum needs all the help they can get in keeping me on the right path:rant::huh:.

tempests

Hall of Fame
And it's a big reason most of us are nervous giving him a big contract. Why would the teams, with real skin in the game, feel any different?

Eh, I don't know. JJ is a character, no question but my sense is the social media stuff bothers the media and fans more than it does players or coaches.

Jenkins has mostly kept his nose clean for four years. Now that he's about to be paid, he's just going to throw away everything he's worked for? It might not come across on 140 character Twitter, but the way his coaches and teammates have talked about him, I think he's smarter than people think he is.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Eh, I don't know. JJ is a character, no question but my sense is the social media stuff bothers the media and fans more than it does players or coaches.

Jenkins has mostly kept his nose clean for four years. Now that he's about to be paid, he's just going to throw away everything he's worked for? It might not come across on 140 character Twitter, but the way his coaches and teammates have talked about him, I think he's smarter than people think he is.

I hope you're right and part of me thinks you are. He's been clean off the field. Etc.

I guess I'm old school. Bruce, Holt, Warner got paid being team first guys.

Social media and much of today's society is "look at me". I don't care for it.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
It's the social media generation we get it faster with less filtering, If this were the 70's It may be Pat Thomas or Rod Perry's tweets we would be reading. I don't know that it is anymore unprofessional to read it on twitter from the player than it would have been to read it from Doug Kirkorian in The Herald Examiner. Either way it would have come from the player but the old way is filtered and the player has more time to change things.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, fans fund the entire thing and that's a fact. If nobody watched nobody would play.

And if the customers didn't shop at Publix, it wouldn't stay open. They "fund" the entire thing there too.

Likewise, fans aren't writing the players' checks. The teams/owners are. The fans have nothing at stake in this transaction.

The fans buy DirectTV and tickets to games. They buy the products the NFL games sell. They very much pay for JJ's check.

Joe blow cashier tweets about how his pay sucks and is wanting more money from them. How many minutes does he work for Publix? Maybe as long as Yelp chick kept her job?

Yeah - cuz everyone knows that players always maintain their good behavior after signing big second contracts and that they show everything they are about while on their cheaper rookie deals. Got it.

That's my point. Customers always "pay for" the checks. Whether it's Publix, the Rams, or your restaurant. If nobody is buying, there's no business.

But that doesn't grant the customer/fans any powers or rights. It doesn't make you or Jenkins accountable to them.(a good business is going to want to make their customers happy but there's nothing forcing them to)

And yes, the fans have nothing at stake in this arrangement. The money will come from the Rams. If the fans aren't happy with the deal, they can choose not to spend their money supporting the Rams.

As for whether or not a cashier would lose his job, I have no idea. I don't know if Publix would fire an employee for complaining about his wages on twitter.

As for your last point, we weren't talking about Jenkins mailing it in. We were talking about Jenkins's twitter habits. As Les pointed out, Jenkins has always been vocal on twitter. This isn't new. Every team that wants him is aware of it (including the Rams).

Ram65

Legend
First, I need a JJ twiter interpreter.

I remember the let's not give them crazy money thread.

Well, I don't think it's just the $$$ amount number year average of 10, 12 or 14 Million. How much up front and how much is guaranteed will be a big part of it. If Rams can make it close to other offers I think he stays. Demoff will make it a competitive offer but not go crazy money.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
This is what happens when the cap increases. Player salaries go up. Revis is #1 and makes $14,024,212 per year. Byron Maxwell is at #5 with $10,500,000.

I would expect Jenks to be looking between 12-14 mill per year.