Jenkins tweets disgust with Rams lowball offer?? And other Jenkins negotiation info.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Patrick Peterson is head and shoulders above both our guys at the moment.
Umm. No. I would take either over PP at this point. PFF (I know, I know) has Peterson ranked right between Jenks and Tru for what it is worth. Personally, I think he is a better punt returner that he is a corner right now.

Come on, X. The man has the right to negotiate the way he pleases. This is his business. It's his money. It's his future. Not our place to lecture him about how he conducts his business.

While that is true, I certainly would not call THAT "negotiating". Also, I wonder how many many teams will look at that tweet as a consideration if they have offers out to him and some other options. I certainly would as I would not want to have to deal with an immature player next time that contract comes up. That's just me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While that is true, I certainly would not call THAT "negotiating". Also, I wonder how many many teams will look at that tweet as a consideration if they have offers out to him and some other options. I certainly would as I would not want to have to deal with an immature player next time that contract comes up. That's just me.

It's absolutely negotiating. Athletes do it all the time. It accomplishes two things:
1) It makes the Rams look like they're trying to lowball him
and
2) It creates a threat that he'll walk away and puts other teams on notice that he might be willing to listen to offers (and that usually attracts other players trying to recruit him to their team)

It's a tactic. It's no different than an agent leaking to the media that the Rams lowballed him. He's trying to put pressure on the Rams.

And you better bet the teams that are interested in him if he hits FA don't care at all that he's doing this. Because Jenkins is 27 years old. That means that new team likely won't have to go through this problem...because by the time his contract is ending, he'll be 31-33 years old. If he even sees the end of the contract. This is Jenkins's big pay-day.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams didn't free up tons of cap space by cutting Cook, JL55, and Long only to see both their top FAs walk. We'll be bringing at least one of Johnson / Jenkins back. If neither is willing to take a contract for reasonable money then one will be franchised.

As others have mentioned, Gaines beat out Johnson for his starting role as a rookie. And returned to camp last year as the starter until injuring his foot. It wouldn't surprise me to see management let one of Jenkins / Johnson go, and then franchise the other to buy them a year of evaluation time on EJ Gaines and see how he bounces back from his injury.

If Gaines returns to the same level of play he had pre-injury (and likely continues to improve, as he is essentially still just a sophmore) I wouldn't be surprised to see them let the franchised CB walk as well. If Gaines can't return to starting calibre play, they likely look to the draft and what 1st round corners are available. If there's no prospects they like, then maybe they will finally overpay to keep their guy.

(Okay we posted at the same time. I don't think this kind of thing is really that affective when dealing with pros like Demoff)

I would be upset to see the Rams commit crazy money to any of their current FAs. You have to be elite talent to justify that. Revis, Sherman, etc. Johnson and Jenkins are great but are not at that level. When Gurley and Donald have to sign new deals, then we better be ready to really open the wallet. Not now.

Good strategy. I hope this is how they view it. Plus get JJ in LA. If he really loves it then he wont want to leave.

LOL Touche!

Why would you say they are outside the top 10? In some categories, TruJo was ranked in the top 5. Considering his age and size (ironic that Rams fans want to keep TruJo for his size but don't think about how his size would get him more money), he could demand to be the highest paid CB in the NFL and have a case.

Realistically, I think he knows he is not at that level. But the point is, they will both probably demand top 10 money. "If our CBs are reasonable" - what does that mean? Both guys should be trying to get as much money as they can. It's what you or I would do too.

It might make sense to only sign one of them.

I'll add that with the salary cap expansion agents will view the highest contracts at each position as suddenly being somewhat low. With a bigger cap. 12 million last year is more like 14 this year.........or something like that. The market is not going down as long as the cap is going up. Those top contracts will be eclipsed this year IMO.

Fair game for what? For a bunch of people that have nothing at stake to lecture him on professionalism? Jenkins isn't a rocket scientist but he knows what he's doing.

What is he doing? Is he just lashing out in frustration? Is it a warning of some sort? Is he letting the other NFL teams, know that he may be available? Is he trying to get fans to call in and say to give him more money? Or is he simply looking for some sympathy? I don't understand why he would want to make any of this public and I actually think he doesn't know what he is doing because he didn't really give it any thought before he tweeted it. But that is his choice.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Let's not read too much strategery into JJs tweets. He is a football player - but his agent is handling bidness for him.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
It's absolutely negotiating. Athletes do it all the time. It accomplishes two things:

No it doesn't. It makes him look stupid and damn near illiterate.

2) It creates a threat that he'll walk away and puts other teams on notice that he might be willing to listen to offers (and that usually attracts other players trying to recruit him to their team)

Lolz. He is a UFA. Teams KNOW he is willing to listen. Why on earth wouldn't he?? Because he is so loyal to the Rams?

It's a tactic. It's no different than an agent leaking to the media that the Rams lowballed him. He's trying to put pressure on the Rams.

An AGENT "leaking" to the media is definitely not the same as THE PLAYER making statements on friggin' Twitter. That is one of the main reasons these guys have agents. To take the focus OFF of the player when these things get played out. Should he and the Rams just hash all this out on social media? Why bother to meet in person at all? It is a "new world" after all....

And you better bet the teams that are interested in him if he hits FA don't care at all that he's doing this. Because Jenkins is 27 years old. That means that new team likely won't have to go through this problem...because by the time his contract is ending, he'll be 31-33 years old. If he even sees the end of the contract. This is Jenkins's big pay-day.

Oh, I think the coach and FO care. You think they might look at this type of behavior as some kind of a red flag? It shows immaturity and lack of critical thinking. I am sure they look at those traits when they are getting ready to pay a dude 12+ mil per year. They would be stupid NOT to.

No sense in arguing this any further. We simply disagree. No biggie.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Hard to be sure as Jenkins often tweets in cryptic lingo that often make little sense to me. But seems fairly obvious.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/2...s-free-agency-janoris-jenkins-pissed-at-offer

e-signing Los Angeles Rams’ cornerback Janoris Jenkins might have been the team’s top priority heading into the 2016 offseason. And if they’ve already made him that offer, it appears he’s not all that thrilled with it.

Jenkins took to Twitter on Tuesday night to vent about what appears to have been a low-ball effort from the Rams [h/t @T_Bron]

Stay tuned! And not just for the remainder of free agency. Janoris may have more to say this evening, and we’ll be more than glad to keep you abreast of the situation.

Jenkins landed at No. 42 on Pro Football Focuslist of 2016 Free Agents. He dropped in at 28 on Pro Football Talk’s Top 100 list.

And if you were hoping the Rams’ efforts to lock up both Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson would be a seamless effort...buckle up.
Is he talking about the Rams , or is he just talking about buying a house , I couldn't really make heads or tails out of anything he says

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No it doesn't. It makes him look stupid and damn near illiterate.

Lolz. He is a UFA. Teams KNOW he is willing to listen. Why on earth wouldn't he?? Because he is so loyal to the Rams?

An AGENT "leaking" to the media is definitely not the same as THE PLAYER making statements on friggin' Twitter. That is one of the main reasons these guys have agents. To take the focus OFF of the player when these things get played out. Should he and the Rams just hash all this out on social media? Why bother to meet in person at all? It is a "new world" after all....

Oh, I think the coach and FO care. You think they might look at this type of behavior as some kind of a red flag? It shows immaturity and lack of critical thinking. I am sure they look at those traits when they are getting ready to pay a dude 12+ mil per year. They would be stupid NOT to.

No sense in arguing this any further. We simply disagree. No biggie.

How is the agent leaking to the media any different? Because the player didn't have the balls to do it himself?

They don't meet in person.

I don't think coaches or FOs care. They want a talented player. This sort of thing won't bother them in the slightest. He's not reffing a fight between his girlfriend and baby mama. He's not getting popped for weed or a DUI. He's not getting into bar fights. Nobody will care. Teams that want him will not be deterred by a negotiating ploy.

What is he doing? Is he just lashing out in frustration? Is it a warning of some sort? Is he letting the other NFL teams, know that he may be available? Is he trying to get fans to call in and say to give him more money? Or is he simply looking for some sympathy? I don't understand why he would want to make any of this public and I actually think he doesn't know what he is doing because he didn't really give it any thought before he tweeted it. But that is his choice.

He's doing the same thing Travis Benjamin did when his agent leaked that the contract negotiations broke down and that Benjamin was prepared to go to FA. Shifting the blame to the team for a deal not getting done to put pressure on the team to raise their offer.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you're giving him too much credit suggesting this was a calculated move.

I disagree. We keep talking about Jenkins's agent. If this wasn't a calculated/acceptable move, he'd have told Jenkins to take the tweet down. Jenkins is trying to pressure the Rams into raising their offer by shifting the blame to them for not getting a deal done.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
and

1 - no it makes them look prudent by not throwing stupid money at him off the bat.

2 - every man and his dog knows he will follow the money.

3 - it makes him look like a dickhead.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1 - no it makes them look prudent by not throwing stupid money at him off the bat.

2 - every man and his dog knows he will follow the money.

3 - it makes him look like a dork.

And when a deal doesn't get done, they look like the bad guys. Because they "low-balled" Jenkins.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I disagree. We keep talking about Jenkins's agent. If this wasn't a calculated/acceptable move, he'd have told Jenkins to take the tweet down. Jenkins is trying to pressure the Rams into raising their offer by shifting the blame to them for not getting a deal done.

I don't see anything there to take down.

But...

If I'm his agent I tell him to smarten up and let me do my job. Help me demonstrate your worth as a professional worthy of a big contract.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Come on, X. The man has the right to negotiate the way he pleases. This is his business. It's his money. It's his future. Not our place to lecture him about how he conducts his business.
Too late. Lecture delivered.
And I know he can do what he wants (in public), so I can do what I want (in public).

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And when a deal doesn't get done, they look like the bad guys. Because they "low-balled" Jenkins.

that's life in the nfl. the rams will offer him what they think he's worth. if another team offers him more and he walks, that's life. see ya later.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
that's life in the nfl. the rams will offer him what they think he's worth. if another team offers him more and he walks, that's life. see ya later.

That is life. But I think both Jenkins and the Rams want him on the team next year. So there will be a dance where both sides bluff and bluster until they find the middle ground and get a deal worked out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Too late. Lecture delivered.
And I know he can do what he wants (in public), so I can do what I want (in public).

Absolutely true. But I don't think it makes you look any better than he does. JMO.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Jenkins is 27 according to Rams website, which is approaching middle age for a CB.

So Jenks grab every penny you can from the Rams or whoever you sign with because this is your one big contract. Sign a 5 year contract? You'll be a cap cut the 5th year and end up playing on 1 year low $$$$ as a dime back cause you be old and replaceable.
So when you get them by the hairy orbs twist them till all the cash falls out.
Ditto for Tru.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
A thought popped into my head with regard to our Jenkins and TruJo FA decision process.

I think perhaps one of these three statements are true...

1) The Rams got incredibly lucky to find JJ and Tru in the 2nd and 3rd rounds in '12. Not to mention Gaines in the 6th and Roberson in UDFA in '14. That would be a helluva lot of luck, huh?

2) The Rams can identify secondary talent very well and know when to grab the players that they like.

3) The Rams somehow develop their secondary players better than most teams. Kudos to GW and Chuck Cecil.

Maybe all three statements are true to some degree, but I think #'s 2 and 3 most apply.

So, if true, then we can look forward to more pleasant surprises if somehow both Jenkins and TruJo should walk.

I love being able to negotiate from a position of strength. Lol.