Jeff Fisher has run out of answers.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Debacled

Starter
With the QBs on this roster there are no answers. We watched it all day, the defense was DARING Foles to beat them and he couldn't even come close to making them pay for it.

Gurley is awesome and Foles cannot even use that to his advantage. We all saw the open plays, and we all saw Foles continue to miss them. Its not as if the game plans aren't working, we had a corpse taking the snaps from center.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Would it be bad form for him to resign now?

TexasRam

Legend
To Fishers credit his team is a shell of what it could be due to injuries.

Foles on 3rd and 9 has zero chance in a 7-0 game to convert due to Grob completely wiffing at the blitzer.

Fisher is on his way out. I just hope Greg stays.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think he's just being honest. He has hit the wall and at this stage of the season it is what it is. Every week they say they will work on the offense--try some things, try to get things going for Gurley and every week it's more of the same or worse.

Would I be shocked if he retired at the end of the year?

Not really--a lot of bad stuff happened this year.

I would not be shocked if he stayed around either but he certainly has his work cut out fixing this offense and he needs to honestly ask himself if he's equipped to do that. They gave Foles the contract and he's obviously not the right guy so the QB question is more in the air than it has ever been. The offensive line is a hobbled question mark as well.

There are good pieces on the offense for sure, but some major missing pieces.

And frankly, he needs to question whether his offensive philosophy will even work in today's NFL--if this conservative, keep it close and win with defense sort of philosophy is possible. I know he likes to look at the Seahawks as an example but the Seahawks CAN throw the ball and even they went out and brought Graham in this year to help Wilson.

Fisher needs to examine all of this and make some decisions about next year.
Good post.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I mean, what can he possibly say anymore? If he regurgitates the same responses about how they need to get better at certain things, and how the other team played well, and how they need to get back to basics, etc., then everyone is gonna hang him for being honest. I don't doubt that they work on fundamentals and devise a good game-plan that works in practice. It's just not enough apparently. And these are all of his players now (with the exception of 5 or 6), so he made the bed in which he has to lie. I just don't even know if there's enough here to build upon anymore. A half dozen injuries on the team and everything falls apart. If we're a team that *needs* zero injuries in order to be consistently productive, then we're never going to be consistently productive it seems.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I honestly believe that the talent (other than qb) that has been assembled on this team is elite/good. However, going back to before the Rams arrow started pointing down, I found the situation with penalties to be troubling, especially in the light that I, as well as many people who know a heck of a lot more than I do, consider penalties to be a lack of execution as well as a COACHABLE issue. We never saw the inordinant amount of penalties decrease. We also never saw the basic execution of most of our offensive plays increase to an exceptable level. As the injuries mounted so did the ineffectiveness of our offense as our ability to overcome the errors with talent mounted. With a disciplined team and less injury I believe Foles can function at a high enough level for us to win and compete. Otherwise you get what you are seeing now.
I believe that Fisher has an upside that can make him a very good NFL coach if he were willing to admit his failure in all areas offensive. He knows how to communicate with todays player he simply does not know how to get them to execute the x's and o's and show discipline on the field. For me to get behind Fisher as coach for 2016 he would need to completely gut his coaching staff (besides Williams) and be willing to hand over all aspects of the Offense to a strong established Coordinator.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'd have to agree with everyone that wants rid of him. He should now grow a pair and call a press conference, take it on the chin and step down - immediately.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
It works. But, the defense isn't as good and neither is the running (or passing) game.
I disagree. I think the defense for having 4 of its best players out is playing very well considering they get NO rest and are basically spent by halftime.

Bradmac41

UDFA
Name
Brad
I honestly believe that the talent (other than qb) that has been assembled on this team is elite/good. However, going back to before the Rams arrow started pointing down, I found the situation with penalties to be troubling, especially in the light that I, as well as many people who know a heck of a lot more than I do, consider penalties to be a lack of execution as well as a COACHABLE issue. We never saw the inordinant amount of penalties decrease. We also never saw the basic execution of most of our offensive plays increase to an exceptable level. As the injuries mounted so did the ineffectiveness of our offense as our ability to overcome the errors with talent mounted. With a disciplined team and less injury I believe Foles can function at a high enough level for us to win and compete. Otherwise you get what you are seeing now.
I believe that Fisher has an upside that can make him a very good NFL coach if he were willing to admit his failure in all areas offensive. He knows how to communicate with todays player he simply does not know how to get them to execute the x's and o's and show discipline on the field. For me to get behind Fisher as coach for 2016 he would need to completely gut his coaching staff (besides Williams) and be willing to hand over all aspects of the Offense to a strong established Coordinator.
This will make 12 of 19 seasons he's coached losing seasons. The word I'd use more than very good would be very mediocre and very fortunate to have lasted this long. They have the worst offensive line in all of football and easily the worst starting quarterback. Foles hasn't a clue.

Bradmac41

UDFA
Name
Brad
With the QBs on this roster there are no answers. We watched it all day, the defense was DARING Foles to beat them and he couldn't even come close to making them pay for it.

Gurley is awesome and Foles cannot even use that to his advantage. We all saw the open plays, and we all saw Foles continue to miss them. Its not as if the game plans aren't working, we had a corpse taking the snaps from center.
A corpse may possibly be giving him too much credit. Did the Eagles ever pull a fast one on the Rams.

Bradmac41

UDFA
Name
Brad
Pretty much this. He's admitted to not having a clue and in doing so, he has sealed his fate.

Or at least he would under normal circumstances but these aren't normal circumstances. Stan doesn't currently care about what is happening on the field.
20+ years ago the Rams apathy caused Los Angeles to quit caring about the team's mediocrity. L.A. won't put up with this lousy play again.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
There is no question that right now Foles is terrible. In an earlier post I recommended having him inactive for the rest of the year. But you have to ask yourself what happened between the last Arizona game and now for him to become awful? Did he take a bad pill? Did he get his brain hijacked and forget how to hit open receivers? From what I see this guy may very well never recover from what ever it is that has happened to him. We hear the term Bulgarized. Is that it? But I do guarantee you this-If you think that all we are is a good qb away from getting this fixed you are going to be writing these same posts a year from now. What about Todd Gurley? I don't read posts about how terrible he is. How many yards has he rushed for the last five weeks? What happened to him that he can no longer run effectively? Why did he rush for 140 yards the first Az game than 40somethng with 35 on one play yesterday? Do we need a new rb also?
The only answer is to re-organize, hire someone with experience in building an offense. Let them evaluate the talent that is here (and there is talent). Allow them REAL input into the draft and fa process. Allow them to evaluate GR and make the decision whether we are better served moving him inside or sticking with him a LT than stick with it. Let them make the decision on whether or not Foles is salvageable or whether we need to do whats neccessar;y to draft high enough to take one of the top rated qb IF they think there is one that is NFL ready. If not we need a plan to trade or sign someone that can carry us for a couple of years while we develop a higher draft pick. Either way the current plan and way of doing things has to change, and it wont with the coaching we have now.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I disagree. I think the defense for having 4 of its best players out is playing very well considering they get NO rest and are basically spent by halftime.
Playing very well despite circumstances doesn't mean that the defense is good enough to win with the proposed gameplan. BTW teams have injuries all the time.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher says he is 'almost out of answers' after latest Rams loss
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-almost-out-of-answers-after-latest-rams-loss

ST. LOUIS -- Prepared to field questions about the horror movie that has become the St. Louis Rams' 2015 season, coach Jeff Fisher was greeted by a statement instead.

"We're about out of questions," one reporter said.

"You know what, the coach is almost out of answers," Fisher responded. "My responsibility is to say, 'Hey, I'm going to get this thing fixed.' We're not efficient on offense. We have got too many good players, we have got guys that can produce, an outstanding running back, a dynamic receiver and we are starting to get a little bit better on the offensive line. So we're going to keep working, but it has to get better. It's not good."

No, it's not good. Sunday's 27-3 beatdown at the hands of the Arizona Cardinals served as the latest testimony to just how bad it is. To recap, the Rams are now 4-8 on the season and have lost five in a row. They have lost by 24 points three times during their skid.

Making matters worse is that Fisher is out of answers because there are none to be found -- at least none that can right this sinking ship before it hits the ocean floor.

The loss to Arizona didn't look much different than the seven others the Rams have suffered this year. The offense missed the mark like so many errant Nick Foles passes, and though the defense attempted to keep the Rams in the game, it finally capitulated in the second half after being on the field for what seemed like an eternity.

Thirty minutes after the game, defensive end Chris Long sat at his locker, contemplating the latest loss.

"It's not important what's going on in my head," Long said. "It's important what's going on in everybody's head. It doesn't matter if I've been here eight years; it hurts the same for everybody. That's losing in embarrassing fashion five games in a row. The guys in here are not happy, I can guarantee that. That doesn't make it OK. That doesn't make it OK at all."

Against the Cardinals, the offense mustered just 212 yards and nine first downs, season-lows in both categories. The inability to keep the chains moving left the Rams' offense on the field for only 20 minutes and 13 seconds, which factored into the worst performance of the season for an offense with plenty of previously inept performances.

"It's kind of a broken-record thing here with the offense," Fisher said. "We have got to get the offense fixed. Three first downs at halftime. I think we had six to start the fourth quarter. It doesn't give yourself a chance to be productive and win games. Defensively, just on the field way too much, way too much. Against that offense, they're going to score points."

Nick Foles
Nick Foles had no answers Sunday, going 15-of-35 for 146 yards and an interception.
Among the many unanswered questions that surround the Rams -- and for the sake of everybody's time, we're talking only on the field right now -- none stand out more than the one at quarterback. This is a franchise that did a complete makeover of the quarterback room in the offseason, brought in Chris Weinke, a new position coach, and signed three new players at the position.

The result has been a quarterback group that sits at the bottom of the league in nearly every major statistical category. Foles, the guy who the Rams gave a contract extension before he ever played a snap for them, is last in the NFL in passer rating among qualified quarterbacks who are still starting for their team.

Case Keenum, who will return to the starting job next week after clearing the concussion protocol, wasn't much better in his lone start against Baltimore. The Rams refuse (probably wisely) to throw rookie Sean Mannion to the wolves without an offensive line capable of consistent protection or receivers capable of getting open or catching the ball on a regular basis. Unless the Rams kidnap Tom Brady and put him on the roster, there's nothing they can do to elevate that position before the season is over.

As Foles took his turn at the podium following Sunday's game, he offered a different spin on not having answers, instead choosing to say the same one repeatedly.

"I just have to keep working," Foles said. "Got to keep working. That's all I can say. That's my answer. Keep working."

Foles said he and the Rams needed to "keep working" eight times in the course of five questions, though that might be a better response than Fisher admitting he doesn't have any answers.

Of course, there are plenty of other questions that still need answers, too. Something like, "Why would a coach whose team has done nothing but regress in each of his four seasons get a fifth?" Fisher has said all season that the Rams will "fix it" when asked what's wrong with his team. They haven't.

"We've got great coaches that we trust in," punter Johnny Hekker said. "We're just going to continue to work and something will change. I can't really tell you what that is and I'm not a magician, but we're going to get things right."

A magician? That might be the best answer yet.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Agreed. They were playing well enough yesterday if they had even a pedestrian offense to give them more rest.

If you want to fix the defense as it currently stands, 2 things need to be done:

1) Get them healthier;
2) Fix the offense.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
And frankly, he needs to question whether his offensive philosophy will even work in today's NFL--if this conservative, keep it close and win with defense sort of philosophy is possible. I know he likes to look at the Seahawks as an example but the Seahawks CAN throw the ball and even they went out and brought Graham in this year to help Wilson.

Fisher needs to examine all of this and make some decisions about next year.

Bolded for emphasis because it's worth repeating.

I don't expect them to get another Martz, but one thing I liked about his approach was that he didn't worry about keeping it close or winning it in the 4th quarter. If there was a chance to crush the life out of an opponent in the first or second quarter, he went for it. It may not always make for as an exciting 60 minutes of football, but I miss the days of watching the Rams go into the locker room at halftime with the outcome all but settled.