Jeff Fisher Evaluates Goff With Collin Cowherd

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Props for getting talent on the roster but..

Gave us that dirty reputation - it was hard to see at the time because obviously as Rams fans, we're biased - but the penalties and crap after the whistle....garbage.

His defenses weren't even that great - over his five seasons we averaged to be ranked 16th in both points and yards - so he was an average defensive coach.

I feel bad about one thing - he was tied to Bradford. The Titans are going through the exact same thing - had a top pick, traded it because they believed in Marcus, and he's not going to be the guy.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
His highest winning percentage was his first year. The more talent the Rams added, he could not top that. He was fortunate the Rams were moving, he was able to keep his job for as long as he did.

Fisher was not a good coach. He was an administrator.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Hekker was Mcvay & Bones !! He went undradted. The Leg Fisher was involved. Brockers was the first for RG111. Snead has always been good at getting it done.

Why Fisher drafted Greg Robinson in front of Aaron Donald has to tell you something.

Hekker has been a Ram since 2012, same as zuerlein. Was def not a McVay pick.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Fisher could spot talent. No question.

Fisher could coach a defense.

His downfall was his outdated, ball control, play it safe offfensive philosophy.

Or as some have called it, his stubbornness or his ego.

Notice how Mcvay lets Wade have complete control of the defense.

Fisher could spot talent on defense and the running back. That was his specialty. Good defense and a good run game. But he never valued the receiver position. Sometimes I felt he didn't put as much into the quarterback position, but he did move up to draft one. So I think he did try to evolve but he didn't have to ability to coach a passing team. He was out of his element.

In today's NFL you're not gonna win much without a passing game. I believe the the past couple years the teams that made it to the conference championship games were the top scoring teams.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Fisher was a good coach (not great) that had external things working against him, which he was not good enough to overcome. He was an upgrade from Haslett, Linehan, and Spagnola and after so much ineptitude and loosing I appreciated the Rams being competitive again but after a while competitive was not enough.

McVay is a superior head coach and he was a clear upgrade over Fisher (McVay's Won-Loss record speaks for itself). Fisher could probably have had more success (a few Winning seasons) during his Rams tenure if the team had better luck with injuries. Losing a player like Bradford on multiple occasions probably hurt the teams chances of winning the most.

Shotty was Fisher's best OC and many wanted Shotty replaced /upgraded. All of the subsequent hires for OC were downgrades from Shotty (Boras offense was a dumpster fire). Whatever went down with Shotty leaving may have also made it harder for Fisher to attract another decent OC. Also the pending move to LA definitely hurt Fisher's ability to attract a top OC candidate (some have speculated the two are related). As most have stated the offense was clearly the thing that held the Rams back from success and that was related to the offensive staff more so than the talent (Foles won a Super bowl and TG30 is a potential hall of famer). Fisher's defenses were good and his best defensive units had flashes of greatness at times when Greg Williams was with the staff but I thought fisher's defenses were inconsistent and underachieved at times for all the level of talent the Rams had on that side of the ball.

I appreciate what Fisher did in taking the Rams from uncompetitive speed bumps to competitive spoilers but after five years, being a spoiler was no longer enough. Fisher's last season was almost as bad as the Linehan and Spags eras but at least he left the team with some really nice building blocks.

Questions to ponder:
Would Spags and Linehan have had the same success as Fisher with Snead as their GM? Linehan did go 8-8 on the Fumes of GSOT's talent.

Would Snead have had the same success drafting future HOF players with Linehan and Spags.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I liked the interview, but it kind of sounded like a job interview toward the end. I know Fisher wants back in the game. He loves the sport.

Does anyone know why Schotty left? Fisher said it was for personal reasons, but it felt like for a second, he was going to spill the beans. Much respect for keeping what is said in the locker room.

Didn't want to be involved with the relocation. Said LA would be taking him too far from his family. Of course later he took a job in Seattle.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Props for getting talent on the roster but..

Gave us that dirty reputation - it was hard to see at the time because obviously as Rams fans, we're biased - but the penalties and crap after the whistle....garbage.

His defenses weren't even that great - over his five seasons we averaged to be ranked 16th in both points and yards - so he was an average defensive coach.

I feel bad about one thing - he was tied to Bradford. The Titans are going through the exact same thing - had a top pick, traded it because they believed in Marcus, and he's not going to be the guy.

That is a tricky evaluation, though isn't it? How well can a good defense perform after they spend a majority of their time on the field? Stats alone in this siuation is misleading to me, because great defenses need at least an adequate offense to give them rest.....We were never adequate during the dark years.

I don't feel bad about his being tied to Bradford. If you remember, he CHOSE the Rams because of Bradford, who I believe was coming off a season ending injury in 2011.

I was going to rag on the idea of getting Jake Long at LT and Scott Wells at center, but that was year two under Fish. Well's especially freaked me out because he needed to have surgery before he ever played a snap in St Louis (wtf?). He picked veterans on the offensive side who were injury prone or done physically. Poor Rodger Saffold was still being misused at LT until Long came. Saffold seemed to easily injure his shoulders when playing at LT. Fish should have gotten an independently good OC to whom he should have given some autonomy. As others have said over the years, he would have saved his ass if he had done that.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
most give fisher credit for good drafting but I think he did a very poor job of drafting. he had 3 first rnd picks from Washington and all I can think of from those drafts are brockers, Donald, goff,gurely, havenstien and higbee. Donald was not a great pick by fisher it was bad picks by 12 other teams. goff was a good pick but fisher would have ruined him given time. gurely was a pick that most did not expect so I will give him credit for that one but gurely is the one who called fishers offence high school. havenstien and higbee were good value picks. anyway given the extra draft picks and the fact that Donald dropping to us was a miracle i don,t think fisher done a good job. I wonder if almost anyone would have got more out of those drafts then the fish.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
most give fisher credit for good drafting but I think he did a very poor job of drafting. he had 3 first rnd picks from Washington and all I can think of from those drafts are brockers, Donald, goff,gurely, havenstien and higbee. Donald was not a great pick by fisher it was bad picks by 12 other teams. goff was a good pick but fisher would have ruined him given time. gurely was a pick that most did not expect so I will give him credit for that one but gurely is the one who called fishers offence high school. havenstien and higbee were good value picks. anyway given the extra draft picks and the fact that Donald dropping to us was a miracle i don,t think fisher done a good job. I wonder if almost anyone would have got more out of those drafts then the fish.

You think so? If you read my other posts i this thread, I don't give Fisher too many breaks, but this was a gutsy pick at the time. Fisher and Snead chose a smallish, lightweight 3Tech DT of which teams before us had taken a hard pass. If it was that obvious, why didn't other teams try to leap frog us for AD if they knew he was a HOFer?

No one really knew how good Aaron Donald would be. I was excited after the fact, watching his play at Pitt and hoped for the best. But remember, it was a common thought that our team did not know how to pick a good DT, let alone a great one before Brockers. My standard for the position was Suh, who still made me angry after watching the fail #8 became for us...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher, "Yeah so like 75% of that team is guys who I drafted"
Cowherd, "And yet you drafted Brian Quick over Alshon Jeffrey, Greg Robinson over Jake Matthews and Isiah Pead over a stick of gum"
Fisher, "Yeah those were Snead's fault"

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
He did’t give obvious connection between any drafting success from his tenure to Sean McVay’s. It’s an utterly obvious connection, that it’s glaring that he didn’t mention Les Snead at all when discussing the acquisition of team members. He is using “we” in this context to avoid giving Les Snead the credit he deserves. Fisher is a terminated employee, and the guy he helped select as his boss outlasted him. That’s gotta burn.

Have a big time

I'm outta this thread

Don't need the negativity

rdw

Pro Bowler
I'll always appreciate Fisher for pulling us up off the floor. But that's it. He's a .500 coach and we're lucky to have snagged McVay.

HjIeKsG.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We need those old images of Fish flippin everyone off, or the one with his balls in the wheelbarrow lol.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
CJF does get credit ......moved the football team to LA
I never got this.

Is Jeff Fisher a expert at packing football equipment?

A big rig driver?

Somewhere between St.Louis and Los Angeles he misplaced three wins.