Jason Pierre-Paul injured in fireworks accident

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Can't get why guys fool around so easily in this league. With 60 mil on the table I would be walking the straight and narrow. I'd be presidential candidate kissing babies clean.

Then these guys get 60 mil on the table, and think they might as well play with fireworks what's the worst that could happen.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/09/report-jason-pierre-paul-also-has-fractured-thumb/

Report: Jason Pierre-Paul also has fractured thumb
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on July 9, 2015

jpp2.jpg
Getty Images

This may fall under the category of worrying about a boiling pot when the house is on fire.

But according to Ed Werder of ESPN, New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul also has fractures in his right thumb that will take six weeks to heal, assuming there are no further complications from his injuries.

Pierre-Paul had to have his right index finger amputated on Wednesday following an incident with fireworks over the weekend landed him in the hospital. Considering he’s lost one finger altogether, having a broken finger may not ultimately be that great a concern.

Broken fingers heal. Defensive players and linemen are also prone to playing through the injuries more often than not anyway. But given the severity of the rest of Pierre-Paul’s injuries, this may not be a simple broken finger when all is said and done. Only time will tell how he’s able to recover from multiple surgeries.

The report says Pierre-Paul is expected to remain in the hospital an additional 2-3 days.

Isn't this illegal?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-publication-of-pierre-pauls-medical-record/

ESPN defends publication of Pierre-Paul’s medical record
Posted by Mike Florio on July 9, 2015

records.jpg
Getty Images

Plenty of people have concerns about ESPN’s decision to publish an image of Jason Pierre-Paul’s medical records. ESPN claims it has no such concerns.

HIPAA does not apply to news organizations,” ESPN said in a statement issued Wednesday night, via CNN.

Regardless of whether the federal law known as HIPAA extends beyond health-care providers (it doesn’t), state privacy laws could apply. Likewise, the court of public opinion always has jurisdiction, and many remain confused by the unnecessary effort to validate an accurate report that no one would have seriously doubted.

ESPN didn’t shy away from publishing the medical record beyond Twitter; it also showed up on SportsCenter last night. (The 7:00 a.m. ET SportsCenter on ESPN2 did not include an image of the record, which perhaps says much more than the seven-word statement issued to ESPN.)

The issue extends beyond the public figure at the heart of the case. The record as posted on Twitter also includes information regarding a 65-year-old male patient with the initials “FC,” whose procedure began at 3:09 p.m. ET on Wednesday. Related information about the procedure (“HAND MAJOR, HAND MICRO, ELBOW RETRACT”) appears above the information about Pierre-Paul’s procedure.

While the other patient isn’t identified beyond the initials, that information definitely should have been redacted before the medical report was displayed to the public.

Absent redaction, it’s all the more reason that ESPN should have simply reported that the finger was being amputated, without showing the medical record. No one was going to dispute the report; instead, a slew of confirming reports would have quickly followed. Besides, if anyone had doubted the report upon its release, ESPN eventually would have been proven right.

Instead, ESPN is now dealing with a situation far stickier than random folks on Twitter questioning the accuracy of the initial report of an amputation.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
ESPN claims it has no such concerns.
HIPAA does not apply to news organizations,” ESPN said in a statement issued Wednesday night, via CNN.
I don't believe this...

Did Schefter or ESPN violate HIPAA? The short answer is no -- "HIPAA laws apply to a very specific list of medical professionals," said Kelly McBride, a media ethics expert at the Poynter Institute. She was a former ombudsman for ESPN.
The records "should not be released without his explicit consent," said Arthur Caplan, the director of the medical ethics division at NYU's Langone Medical Center.

Caplan concurred that HIPAA "only applies to health care personnel and payers," but said, "theft is a more serious matter."
what is one to believe.....I don't think ANYONE can release health records without the consent of the patient/client....
Side note, what the hell is going on with fireworks? I mean, I've see some of the most dangerous kinds in the last 5-10 years, never seen anyone have a problem UNLESS they're fucking around...holding them, lighting short fuses....

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Daaaaaaang. He blew a finger clean off and broke a thumb!?!? I was picturing burns. He may be dumb but damn that's hard to laugh at.

It does seem as if there are more fireworks related injuries lately. I wonder if the chinese army is intentionally spiking the punch...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I was ready to laugh at the dumb jock....but then I remembered myself at a similar age...Now add millions of dollars, percieved invincibility, and alcohol.......I feel bad for him.., We are not talking PEDs, marijuana, DUI's, or yelling BOMB in an airport......He will regret this event for the rest of his life, and may never play football again...

Athos

Legend
No sympathy.

Dudes an idiot. People should know how dangerous fireworks can be.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...p-has-to-learn-to-deal-with-amputated-finger/

Ronnie Lott: JPP has to learn to deal with amputated finger
Posted by Josh Alper on July 12, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrjzjgxmjbhzwu3zwy4mdg3odywzddjnwi2njkwzjlk-e1436700401330.jpeg
Getty Images

Long before Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul had his right index finger amputated last week, Hall of Fame safety Ronnie Lott found himself in a similar position.

After repeated breaks of his left pinkie, doctors recommended in 1986 that Lott have it removed because it would never fully heal. Lott had the operation and recalled the shock of seeing what looked “like ET’s head” for the first time during an appearance on the Rich Eisen Show. He said that Pierre-Paul will get better physically and that he can’t “lose his spirit” in the face of the bigger mental challenges that will come.

“He’ll be able to play with it and he’ll learn how to deal with it,” Lott said, via the New York Daily News. “But the moment of not seeing it, the moment of looking at your hand and looking down and realizing you have that phantom [finger], where you use your finger but you don’t see it, there’s a lot of things emotionally that he’ll have to deal with. He’ll have to learn how to understand that it’s not there and that there are things that will play tricks on his mind.”

The injuries are different and so are their positions on the field, but Pierre-Paul may be able to take some solace in what Lott accomplished after dropping down to nine fingers. He played 10 more seasons, made the NFL’s All-Decade team for both the 80s and 90s and, as already mentioned, wound up in Canton.