Jason Pierre-Paul injured in fireworks accident

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I guess NFL players need to have a fireworks class before OTA's end.

Rule 1. DO NOT HOLD IN HAND.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Apparently C.J Wilson lost 2 fingers. WTF!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ilson-lost-two-fingers-in-fireworks-accident/

Report: C.J. Wilson lost two fingers in fireworks accident
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 8, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwq4yjdkm2i5ndm1ztfjmdmwndg0ndvhogy3mjdjytq4-e1436380339134.jpeg
Getty Images

A new report says the hand injury suffered by Buccaneers cornerback C.J. Wilson in a Fourth of July fireworks accident was very serious.

The Lincoln Times-News in Wilson’s hometown of Lincolnton, North Carolina reports that Wilson lost two fingers in the accident. The report cites sources close to the family and says the incident occurred at home in Lincolnton, with family and close friends present.

Such an injury would be career-threatening for Wilson, a 25-year-old who has been in the NFL for two years. Wilson entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent out of North Carolina State, played in 2013 for the Bears and then signed last year with the Bucs.

The Buccaneers have acknowledged they’re aware of the injury but have not released any details about Wilson’s condition. Wilson’s agent has likewise confirmed that he’s injured but declined to release any medical information.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
JPP had his right index finger amputated!!!!!

Damn, feel bad for these guys now.

rams2050

Starter
Neither quite as spectacularly stupid as the guy who put one of those high-dollar mortar tubes on his head and lit it.

Yep, you guessed it. DAID!

What was he thinking? Or was he thinking?

Undoubtedly fueled by alcohol.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
JPP had his right index finger amputated!!!!!

Damn, feel bad for these guys now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

In the four days since Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul suffered injuries in a fireworks accident, information about his condition has been vague and sketchy. On Wednesday night, ESPN provided a large dose of clarity.

Adam Schefter reports that Pierre-Paul had his right index finger amputated today. ESPN actually obtained — and Schefter actually posted — the medical document confirming the removal of the finger. (As if no one would have taken his word for it.)

Schefter also reports that a “medical source” expects Pierre-Paul to play this season, “sooner than you think.”

If Pierre-Paul wasn’t on board with the release of his medical documents, Schefter and/or others may have to eventually consult with some “legal sources.”

Hopefully those “legal sources” will end up being better than any of the other sources who told multiple reporters that Pierre-Paul was not in danger of losing any fingers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ronnie Lott had part of his finger amputated so he wouldn't miss a game. That was heroic but strange. This however is just sad.

I wonder what kind of fireworks these guys were shooting off?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

That has yet to be revealed but I'm guessing M-80's, some type of homemade fireworks, or even something with gun shells. I wonder now if the NFL will have a warning against players messing around with fireworks placed in future contracts?
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...on-pierre-paul-cj-wilson-dangerous-activities

NFL contracts say no to 'significant risk,' but not specifically fireworks
David Steele @david_c_steele

To those who are wondering whether NFL players violate their contracts when they blow off parts of their hands with fireworks … they do, but they don’t.

In general, players — including, of course, the Giants’ Jason Pierre-Paul and the Buccaneers’ C.J. Wilson — are barred from dangerous activities by the standard players’ contract as defined in the current labor agreement put in place in 2011. However, specifics like fireworks aren't usually spelled out, says Darren Heitner, a sports lawyer and former agent.

“Playing with fireworks, nor every imaginable dangerous activity, needs to be specifically mentioned,’’ Heitner told Sporting News, adding, “Any objectively reasonable person would agree that handling fireworks is an activity that bears significant risk of personal injury and that the use of able and fit hands is necessary for a player to succeed in the NFL.’’

In the CBA, Appendix A, paragraph 3, titled “Other Activities,” reads:

“Without prior written consent of the Club, Player will not play football or engage in activities related to football otherwise than for Club or engage in any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of personal injury. Player represents that he has special, exceptional and unique knowledge, skill, ability, and experience as a football player, the loss of which cannot be estimated with any certainty and cannot be fairly or adequately compensated by damages.

Player therefore agrees that Club will have the right, in addition to any other right which Club may possess, to enjoin Player by appropriate proceedings from playing football or engaging in football-related activities other than for Club or from engaging in any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of personal injury.’’

The last 18 words apply to Pierre-Paul’s and Wilson's situation.

“Importantly, it is restricted to a specific term, which covers specific football seasons, and thus most of its terms will not apply beyond the scope of that term,’’ said Heitner .

So while it seems logical that fireworks are banned, even in the offseason, contractually it’s not as clear-cut. For now, neither the Bucs nor the Giants have taken action against, respectively, Wilson (who is under contract) or Pierre-Paul (who has not signed his franchise-tag tender).

Other sports, like the NBA, leave less to intepretation when it comes to what players are forbidden to engage in away from the game. Activities like sky-diving, motorcyling, boxing, wrestling and auto-racing are written into standard NBA contracts . The NFL seems inclined to leave these decisions up to players' discretion. Whether it's Terrell Suggs once tearing his Achilles playing basketball or former Eagles end Justin Babin considering running with the bulls in Pamplona (he decided against it), making the right call is up to the individual.

Wilson, who reportedly lost two fingers, and Pierre-Paul took a chance and are paying for it physically — and will most likely financially, as well.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

were these guys drunk out of their minds when they did this? how hard is it to light a fuse?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
What's a DB need five fingers for anyway? I always scoffed when people were so amazed by Sherman playing with a bum elbow. You only need to be able to waive a stump at an incoming ball. It ain't rocket surgery.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
What's a DB need five fingers for anyway? I always scoffed when people were so amazed by Sherman playing with a bum elbow. You only need to be able to waive a stump at an incoming ball. It ain't rocket surgery.
He's a DE but that was exactly what I was thinking. Don't they have tape in New York?

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It doesn't take much. If you close your hand around a run of the mill firecracker, you could lose fingers. A M-80 would take your hand off.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Jesus.... bunch of cheap ass fireworks being sold this year i guess. Believe it or not my co-workers, friends son had a m80 between his legs and blew up his balls and dick. Had to be air lifted to some hospital in Seattle and he'll be in there for a month.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
This is why you hire professionals to put on fireworks for you, especially if have at least $2 million in the bank. Natural selection has its way of screwing people over and luckily Father Physics only laid a finger on JPP.