Jason Cole Talks Jared Goff & the Rams QB Situation –Audio

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole joins The Morning Show to talk about the positive reports of Jared Goff’s recent progress, the Rams’ QB situation and how many more years of development Goff has.

Listen to Cole Talk Rams QB's

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One thing that Cole tried to clear up was, his report was based on the Rams feeling good about both Quarterbacks and I agree. Goff has been totally engrossing himself in the playbook and with McVay, LaFleur & Greg Olson I feel confident he will be ready to lead the Los Angeles Rams into battle come September Morn, but it's also fine that they feel good about their back up as well and IMHO, that led to the quick departure of Aaron Murray so he could catch on to another team to be their number 2.

Ram65

Legend
Keyshawn Johnson sounds like doesn't like Goff much. He sounded as if Goff is like Bradford and not able to stand up to pressure. That's my take on his comments on the positive Goff reports. I thought Goff's ability and willingness to make plays under pressure while holding the ball as long as he could was one of his great assets.

Mannion had not shown much so far in preseason games IIRC. I hope he is picking up the offense and improving. I stated before it's hard to get both 1st team reps that need to go to Goff. The question of how long the Rams stick with Goff seems a little early. I guess you have to have a plan. I think they need to get Goff a good amount of reps in preseason. He needs to play at least a quarter in the first game and add a quarter in each of the next two games.

A55VA6

Legend
Keyshawn Johnson sounds like doesn't like Goff much. He sounded as if Goff is like Bradford and not able to stand up to pressure. That's my take on his comments on the positive Goff reports. I thought Goff's ability and willingness to make plays under pressure while holding the ball as long as he could was one of his great assets.

Keyshawn hates Goff. He talks bad about him all the time. Hopefully Goff proves him wrong.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Let's just say. I never liked Keyshawn Johnson as a Player or a person! And I like him even less after listening to him as an analyst!
Why anyone would give any credence to what he says is beyond me!!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Mannion had not shown much so far in preseason games IIRC. I hope he is picking up the offense and improving. I stated before it's hard to get both 1st team reps that need to go to Goff. The question of how long the Rams stick with Goff seems a little early. I guess you have to have a plan. I think they need to get Goff a good amount of reps in preseason. He needs to play at least a quarter in the first game and add a quarter in each of the next two games.

Mannion looked way better then Goff in the preseason and it wasn't even close

MauiRam

Rookie

It’s easy to forget how many times our receivers dropped passes that killed drives last year. Our O-line surely did not inspire Goff’s confidence, yet Jared hung in there and took his beatings. Will he develop into our franchise QB? I don’t pretend to know, but I like his chances better than any other QB currently on our roster.

Looking at Goff’s college career, he started all 37 games possible during his three seasons at Cal and is the only quarterback in school history to have ever started his first game as a true freshman. Of particular note, Goff improved dramatically each season. There is no reason to expect Jared will not show similar improvement in his second season as a Ram. Yes he will be asked to learn a new offense, but he is no longer a rookie, and has now been exposed to the speed of the game at the NFL level.

Keyshawn is entitled to his opinion; I am entitled to mine.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Goff does not look the part and because he came from the Air Raid offense clearly was not ready to take snaps under center and make adjustments at the LOS. That is what Keyshawn is basing his opinion on. Now, let's be honest here anyone who watched Goff last season could not come away impressed, plus, Goff does not have an athletic body so that factors in as well.

Again many realize the kid never had a chance with the staff and offensive line last year, but I can understand how Johnson would come away with that assessment just based on the eye test and being 0-7 overall. Johnson will change his mind quickly once he gets a chance to watch Goff this preseason and the huge improvement from one year to the next also Johnson is from USC so I'm sure that factors in with Goff going to California to a degree, but will an offensive coaching staff of this magnitude, I expect great things from the California Golden Boy.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Mannion looked way better then Goff in the preseason and it wasn't even close

Disagree, he was better than (most of) the other scrubs he was playing with/against, but there were a lot more issues with fundamentals that he has that Goff didn't and doesn't. Those issues are easy to get past against a defense playing scrubs without a gameplan, not against starters who prepared for you.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree, he was better than (most of) the other scrubs he was playing with/against, but there were a lot more issues with fundamentals that he has that Goff didn't and doesn't. Those issues are easy to get past against a defense playing scrubs without a gameplan, not against starters who prepared for you.
You mean footwork and release, because that's the only argument I hear made about Goff. Because his accuracy was terrible his ball security was absmiall he couldn't call plays or make protection calls didn't know how to read a blitz.
But he had good footwork so good he ran into a lot of sacks. lol Mannion looked better in every aspect then Goff in the preseason. That's not to say Goff isn't going to look good this year but saying Mannion didn't look better last year is just straight up denial

bluecoconuts

Legend
You mean footwork and release, because that's the only argument I hear made about Goff. Because his accuracy was terrible his ball security was absmiall he couldn't call plays or make protection calls didn't know how to read a blitz.
But he had good footwork so good he ran into a lot of sacks. lol Mannion looked better in every aspect then Goff in the preseason. That's not to say Goff isn't going to look good this year but saying Mannion didn't look better last year is just straight up denial

Except he didn't, the issues he had were mental errors, he ran into sacks and had poor ball security because he was making mental mistakes as he was still learning the game. Physically he was far superior, and it's a lot easier to teach the mental aspect of the game than it is the physical aspect of it all. Mannion understood the speed of the game, but he didn't have the footwork or the release, which made for more inaccurate throws, balls were constantly high or off target, but because his velocity isn't as good as Goff receivers were able to make the grab.. In a real game the defenders are able to make that grab because there's typically less space.

Goff's ability to step up in the pocket vs rolling out, and deliver the ball quickly into tight windows, something we saw him do in the regular season, is something that you don't get with Mannion. That's why Goff is the starter, and that's why it wont matter if Mannion goes into the preseason and throws 300 yards every game, when the coverage gets tighter Goff has what they need. His failures weren't due to his lack of ability but largely from the team around him.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Except he didn't, the issues he had were mental errors, he ran into sacks and had poor ball security because he was making mental mistakes as he was still learning the game. Physically he was far superior, and it's a lot easier to teach the mental aspect of the game than it is the physical aspect of it all. Mannion understood the speed of the game, but he didn't have the footwork or the release, which made for more inaccurate throws, balls were constantly high or off target, but because his velocity isn't as good as Goff receivers were able to make the grab.. In a real game the defenders are able to make that grab because there's typically less space.

Goff's ability to step up in the pocket vs rolling out, and deliver the ball quickly into tight windows, something we saw him do in the regular season, is something that you don't get with Mannion. That's why Goff is the starter, and that's why it wont matter if Mannion goes into the preseason and throws 300 yards every game, when the coverage gets tighter Goff has what they need. His failures weren't due to his lack of ability but largely from the team around him.[/Q

Lol regular season, I was only comparing what I saw from them in preseason cause that's only extended time Mannion had but let's talk about regular season.

You said he consistently got balls into tight windows what do you mean about consistently because there was only about 4 or 5 throws Goff made all year that I would say he threw it in a tight window. You talk about mental errors and it being easier to fix the mental part of a QB, I completely disagree on that, it's easier to work with a QB lack of arm strength or running ability when he knows where to go with the ball and when. When he recognize coverage schemes and blitzes and can identify his hot read.
Last year the only QB I saw do that on this team was Mannion even if it was in the preseason. Goff is so far behind the curb mentally that for all of his supposed talent he looked like a bum out there.

Yeah Goff can take a hit, but how many unnecessary hits did he take how many unnecessary sacks did he take. You said that Mannion balls are to high, but that's all I saw from Goff he throw high and out of bounds even without pressure around him.

We wanna blame the talent around Goff but why did we bench Keemun he actually won games for us. He was playing with the same support cast why didn't he get that it's the people around him excuse.

I'm not saying Goff can't turn it around but acting like the guy is criticism proof is laughable because numbers don't lie and his numbers are laughable

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Mannion didn't even throw the ball further than 10 yds in the air against third stringers who are not in the NFL anymore during the preseason.

I'm sure Mannion will improve during the offseason under improved coaching, but he did not impress me in the least last year.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Honestly, after listening to this, there was basically nothing to be taken more than a couple of outsiders blubbering their personal opinions

Hell, that's what we are for gawd dammit :sneaky:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So is thinking Mannion is as talented as Goff.It is not even debatable or close.

I never said he was as talented. But the arguments as to why Goff is better just isn't adding up. Their arm talent is so similar in terms of both accuracy and strength Mannion has the better Mental game while Goff just has more of the natural instincts obviously it's closer then a lot of people wanna admit especially when you have the coaching staff really excited about Mannion as well

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So are we pretending like Mannion didn't come in for Goff in the regular season and immediately throw a pick 6?
Lmao so we wanna hold Mannion accountable for 1 play when the guy had all of 7 snaps but say stuff like Goff didn't have any help. How many pic 6s did Goff throw how many fumbles did he lose. Lol double standards all day

Memphis Ram

Legend
Double standards are simply the norm and NFL opportunities aren't always fair.

For example, I still say that people graded Austin Davis in his first starts as if he were an finished product. An established NFL veteran. Any potential upside or improvement with added experience and talent around him somehow seemed impossible. But, Goff probably has a couple years to prove his mettle via his draft position.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Lol regular season, I was only comparing what I saw from them in preseason cause that's only extended time Mannion had but let's talk about regular season.

You said he consistently got balls into tight windows what do you mean about consistently because there was only about 4 or 5 throws Goff made all year that I would say he threw it in a tight window. You talk about mental errors and it being easier to fix the mental part of a QB, I completely disagree on that, it's easier to work with a QB lack of arm strength or running ability when he knows where to go with the ball and when. When he recognize coverage schemes and blitzes and can identify his hot read.
Last year the only QB I saw do that on this team was Mannion even if it was in the preseason. Goff is so far behind the curb mentally that for all of his supposed talent he looked like a bum out there.

Yeah Goff can take a hit, but how many unnecessary hits did he take how many unnecessary sacks did he take. You said that Mannion balls are to high, but that's all I saw from Goff he throw high and out of bounds even without pressure around him.

We wanna blame the talent around Goff but why did we bench Keemun he actually won games for us. He was playing with the same support cast why didn't he get that it's the people around him excuse.

I'm not saying Goff can't turn it around but acting like the guy is criticism proof is laughable because numbers don't lie and his numbers are laughable

Why wouldn't we talk about regular season? That's when it counts, when things harder. I saw Goff throw a lot of very good balls in the regular season, some of them were caught some of them were dropped, but the ball placement and throw from Goff was good. A lot of his interceptions were receivers totally letting him down, popping the ball up and things to that nature, so even though the throw was great, Goff's stats would take a hit due to receivers. That's not some controversial statement, a lot of analysts have said the same thing.

Learning coverage and how to read defense is always easier to coach up than it is to teach physical skills. That doesn't mean that everyone will become a genius and read defenses like Peyton Manning, but it's easier than trying to change someones throwing motion. That's why QB's like Tebow failed, the physical talent wasn't there, and when it came down to games he would revert to his old terrible physical traits instead of the ones that he was being taught. Having some of the hardest things to teach down already, namely a good throwing motion and release as well as good foot movement, Goff has the hardest things learned. When the play breaks down in front of him he doesn't revert to ugly fundamentals, which makes it easier for the defense.

We weren't winning games because of Keenum, we were winning games despite of him, and the defense completely collapsed after he was pulled for Goff because they had been overworked in the first half of the season.

Nobody said that Goff isn't criticism proof, but the idea that Mannion is ahead of him in development or even all that close just isn't correct. Goff has the far superior arm talent, and physical traits, the only thing that Mannion had was a better understanding of the playbook and the speed of the game. Goff now understands the speed of the game better than Mannion, and they both got a new playbook, so Goff may have that down more now as well.

Lmao so we wanna hold Mannion accountable for 1 play when the guy had all of 7 snaps but say stuff like Goff didn't have any help. How many pic 6s did Goff throw how many fumbles did he lose. Lol double standards all day

The pick that Mannion threw is a great example of his limitations, his release allows the defender to jump the route, if he's supposed to be that much better at the mental game, then he shouldn't have thrown it, he stares down the receiver the entire time and then throws it without a lot of zip when there were better options out there. Now I'll give him a break because he's still a young QB, and that takes experience, but it takes away a lot of the strengths he's said to have.