Jason Cole Talks Jared Goff & the Rams QB Situation –Audio

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why wouldn't we talk about regular season? That's when it counts, when things harder. I saw Goff throw a lot of very good balls in the regular season, some of them were caught some of them were dropped, but the ball placement and throw from Goff was good. A lot of his interceptions were receivers totally letting him down, popping the ball up and things to that nature, so even though the throw was great, Goff's stats would take a hit due to receivers. That's not some controversial statement, a lot of analysts have said the same thing.

Learning coverage and how to read defense is always easier to coach up than it is to teach physical skills. That doesn't mean that everyone will become a genius and read defenses like Peyton Manning, but it's easier than trying to change someones throwing motion. That's why QB's like Tebow failed, the physical talent wasn't there, and when it came down to games he would revert to his old terrible physical traits instead of the ones that he was being taught. Having some of the hardest things to teach down already, namely a good throwing motion and release as well as good foot movement, Goff has the hardest things learned. When the play breaks down in front of him he doesn't revert to ugly fundamentals, which makes it easier for the defense.

We weren't winning games because of Keenum, we were winning games despite of him, and the defense completely collapsed after he was pulled for Goff because they had been overworked in the first half of the season.

Nobody said that Goff isn't criticism proof, but the idea that Mannion is ahead of him in development or even all that close just isn't correct. Goff has the far superior arm talent, and physical traits, the only thing that Mannion had was a better understanding of the playbook and the speed of the game. Goff now understands the speed of the game better than Mannion, and they both got a new playbook, so Goff may have that down more now as well.

The pick that Mannion threw is a great example of his limitations, his release allows the defender to jump the route, if he's supposed to be that much better at the mental game, then he shouldn't have thrown it, he stares down the receiver the entire time and then throws it without a lot of zip when there were better options out there. Now I'll give him a break because he's still a young QB, and that takes experience, but it takes away a lot of the strengths he's said to have.

No look at the entire play on that pick 6Every snap Mannion got was low and almost in the turf Mannion caught it his mistake was throwing the ball when the snap came that low because it threw off his rhythm. So can I blame that on the center for the low snap that caused that interception.

Goff arm talent is definitely not "far superior". I'm not going to hold that against you because maybe you didn't see Mannion play in college. He was the best QB at the senior bowl and he won the accuracy contest and was the most impressive QB at Mannings passing academy. He has Arm talent.. I have never seen a QB with a 0-7 record 7 interceptions 5touchdowns and 5 fumbles be regarded in such high esteem to where it's everyone's fault but his own. By your statementa every last one of his turnovers was caused by someone else and all his throws were great. I can understand you having faith in the guy but blind faith only leads to disappointment.

You say Goff don't revert to bad habits but I beg the differ, when he was faced with the Rush he threw off his back leg or he panicked and didn't know where to go with the ball so he took a sack or worse fumbled the ball most likely did both on the same play. He also dropped his eyes and was too quick to throw the ball to the running back that was the cause of one of his own Pick 6 against Atlanta but that wasn't on Goff either according to you.

Mannion was ahead of Goff last year in terms of knowing how to read defenses and call plays because that's what he has been doing his entire college career something Goff can't say. Now that's not to say that Goff won't close that Gap this year but color me doubtful.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
there were a lot more issues with fundamentals that he has that Goff didn't and doesn't.
I thought Cole said that someone in the organization, someone around the team said Goff's footwork is behind Mannion's now...like in todays OTA's?

Mannion didn't even throw the ball further than 10 yds in the air against third stringers who are not in the NFL anymore during the preseason.

I'm sure Mannion will improve during the offseason under improved coaching, but he did not impress me in the least last year.
He can throw....but I don't know about his movement skills.

You mean footwork and release, because that's the only argument I hear made about Goff. Because his accuracy was terrible his ball security was absmiall he couldn't call plays or make protection calls didn't know how to read a blitz.
But he had good footwork so good he ran into a lot of sacks. lol Mannion looked better in every aspect then Goff in the preseason. That's not to say Goff isn't going to look good this year but saying Mannion didn't look better last year is just straight up denial

I thought Jason was talking to Keyshawn about their skills TODAY....I thought he said Mannion is still calling plays better, has better footwork...as in, he's still AHEAD of Goff in terms of readiness....

Between this and Peter King....someone is either totally wrong about Goff, or Snead is going to get fired.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Keyshawn Johnson sounds like doesn't like Goff much. He sounded as if Goff is like Bradford and not able to stand up to pressure. That's my take on his comments on the positive Goff reports. I thought Goff's ability and willingness to make plays under pressure while holding the ball as long as he could was one of his great assets.

Mannion had not shown much so far in preseason games IIRC. I hope he is picking up the offense and improving. I stated before it's hard to get both 1st team reps that need to go to Goff. The question of how long the Rams stick with Goff seems a little early. I guess you have to have a plan. I think they need to get Goff a good amount of reps in preseason. He needs to play at least a quarter in the first game and add a quarter in each of the next two games.

Keyshawn is a tool. But that's normal for a guy nicknamed "Meshawn". And that's also the problem with sports reporting. Some of them are honest to goodness reporters and some of them are rating whores. That's why I so love SiriusRadio and the majority of their sports shows. Used to be Sports Talk Radio was a two man team and they'd flip a coin to see who was good cop and who was bad cop every day. Good ratings, generated anyway you can, is good ratings.

I don't know much about Jason Cole. What has he done that endears him to the listening sports public? I skimmed over a post on another board that seemed to say he thinks Goff is on a short leash and that the Rams would go with Mannion in a heartbeat. I find it hard to believe but it certainly makes you want to read more. (Lightbulb!!!!)

bluecoconuts

Legend
No look at the entire play on that pick 6Every snap Mannion got was low and almost in the turf Mannion caught it his mistake was throwing the ball when the snap came that low because it threw off his rhythm. So can I blame that on the center for the low snap that caused that interception.

The snap was a little weird, but it wasn't low, if anything it was a little high, but it was slow to get up to him. It wasn't a clean snap, but his feet were set when he threw the ball and there wasn't pressure in his face. The closest thing was the Cardinals DT being pushed behind/around Mannion, but he had some time. It was a poor read and a poor throw, that one is on him, he should have been able to adjust from the snap being a little off, because he really didn't need to change anything with his stance.

Goff arm talent is definitely not "far superior". I'm not going to hold that against you because maybe you didn't see Mannion play in college. He was the best QB at the senior bowl and he won the accuracy contest and was the most impressive QB at Mannings passing academy. He has Arm talent.. I have never seen a QB with a 0-7 record 7 interceptions 5touchdowns and 5 fumbles be regarded in such high esteem to where it's everyone's fault but his own. By your statementa every last one of his turnovers was caused by someone else and all his throws were great. I can understand you having faith in the guy but blind faith only leads to disappointment.

Yeah it is, I've seen Mannion's play in college, he has a good arm, Goff has a better one, and you can see that if you want to compare their college play, Goff was by a wide margin the far superior arm talent, hence why he was a first round, first overall draft pick, and Mannion was not. In his draft profile they talk about how he doesn't have good pocket awareness, he struggles getting the ball out, especially on out routes, struggles to get zip on his throws when his feet aren't set and he doesn't have a clean pocket. Now I think some of those things have been improved on them, but college to college, Goff was the superior arm talent. NFL to NFL that hasn't really changed, Goff can just simply do things that Mannion cannot, Goff can be someone who can lead the offense, Mannion was projected to be a good game manager. Goff made plenty of mistakes, I never said he didn't, every QB makes mistakes, especially rookie ones. However a large amount of his mistakes were due to his teammates essentially letting him down, dropping the ball, failing to give him protection, etc. The only reason why I bring that up is because the experts, the coaching staff, have mentioned it and citing it as reasons for his struggles.

You say Goff don't revert to bad habits but I beg the differ, when he was faced with the Rush he threw off his back leg or he panicked and didn't know where to go with the ball so he took a sack or worse fumbled the ball most likely did both on the same play. He also dropped his eyes and was too quick to throw the ball to the running back that was the cause of one of his own Pick 6 against Atlanta but that wasn't on Goff either according to you.

What I mean by bad habits I meant by throwing motion.. Every QB is going to throw off their back foot sometimes, Brady does it sometimes, and while it's not ideal that happens sometimes. The issues come when they're constantly falling back on bad habits, if Goff is throwing off his back foot because protection is constantly breaking down that points to an issue of protection and blocking more than anything else. If Goff is suddenly throwing with a very poor throwing motion because protection is breaking down and he's hearing footsteps you have a different problem. Goff doesn't have any issues with his throwing motion, so when it gets bad that's still good. I agree there were times he held onto the ball longer than he should, that was something they stressed coming out of college, he'd need to have his internal clock worked on because he's used to having guys be open, and Fisher obviously failed at that. Receivers couldn't get separation and Goff usually didn't throw it away in time, that is something that he needed to work on, and I hope he did. The pick six against Atlanta was on Goff, but he wasn't throwing to the running back, he was throwing to Britt running a slant, and he didn't see the LB underneath (who also made a great play on the ball), that was a mistake on his part and he shouldn't have thrown it to him. It was a poor read and a poor throw, I've never said that Goff was perfect.

Mannion was ahead of Goff last year in terms of knowing how to read defenses and call plays because that's what he has been doing his entire college career something Goff can't say. Now that's not to say that Goff won't close that Gap this year but color me doubtful.

I expected him to be ahead of Goff, Goff was a rookie, but just because Mannion was ahead of someone who had no experience reading defenses in the NFL, doesn't mean that he was some expert, people act like we have Tom Brady behind Goff waiting to play, Mannion had issues with reading defenses as well, but he understood the playbook better since he had an entire year in it. Both of them now have a new playbook, so they both started from square one. I expect Goff to have a better understanding of it, and given how involved he is with everything (constantly being seen at the facility watching practices and stuff even when he doesn't have to be. I would expect him to understand reading defenses better as well, with his experiences now, but it's going to be difficult to assess that given the two of them aren't exactly going to be on a game show being quizzed on it. Goff isn't stupid though (neither is Mannion), he's where he's at for a reason.

I thought Cole said that someone in the organization, someone around the team said Goff's footwork is behind Mannion's now...like in todays OTA's?

That must be an error, Goff was always lauded for having amazing footwork for a young player, and Mannion was known for below average pocket movement, and being more of a statue with his feet, while Goff was known for having good pocket presence and always keeping his feet moving.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I hope Mannion is every bit as improved as some are suggesting. I don't know how it's been determined; it's OTA's. Men in shorts.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I never said he was as talented. But the arguments as to why Goff is better just isn't adding up. Their arm talent is so similar in terms of both accuracy and strength Mannion has the better Mental game while Goff just has more of the natural instincts obviously it's closer then a lot of people wanna admit especially when you have the coaching staff really excited about Mannion as well

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/m-m-boys-backing-up-goffexciting.49481/page-2
but less talent that's debatable
Short memory?

You mean footwork and release, because that's the only argument I hear made about Goff.

Goff's quick release,accuracy,pocket pressence,ability to extend plays and red zone
efficiency were his strengths in college and are all better than Mannion.
Mannion is a statute in the pocket.He is slow getting away from center.
His release is on of the slowest I have ever seen.He struggled terribly his senior year
because for the first time in his college career he had poor blocking up front.
Goff had poor blocking his entire career at Cal and shined brighter than Mannion ever did.

Mannion looked way better then Goff in the preseason and it wasn't even close

Mannion played in a pro system in college,so he was familiar with playing under center.
He also had a year to learn the fisher ball terminology.
Goff who played in a spread type system and was a rookie, had not played under center at all.
So I would certainly hope that Mannion looked better in preseason last year.

Because his accuracy was terrible his ball security was absmiall he couldn't call plays or make protection calls didn't know how to read a blitz.
But he had good footwork so good he ran into a lot of sacks.

Goff came into the league with a absolute joke of a offensive staff that ran one the most
predictable,yet complicated offenses in the NFL.An offense with terrible blocking and
sad receivers who ran lazy routes and dropped balls as much as any team in the league.
Do you think Mannion would have fared any better?

Your argument that Mannion compares to Goff is
almost comical,but most definitely tired.

rdw

Pro Bowler
You mean footwork and release, because that's the only argument I hear made about Goff. Because his accuracy was terrible his ball security was absmiall he couldn't call plays or make protection calls didn't know how to read a blitz.
But he had good footwork so good he ran into a lot of sacks. lol Mannion looked better in every aspect then Goff in the preseason. That's not to say Goff isn't going to look good this year but saying Mannion didn't look better last year is just straight up denial
Mannion's rookie preseason or his second year preseason vs. Goff's rookie preseason?
Do you really think Mannion has a chance to start? I mean honestly do you really think he's a better QB?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion's rookie preseason or his second year preseason vs. Goff's rookie preseason?
Do you really think Mannion has a chance to start? I mean honestly do you really think he's a better QB?
Yes I do. I like his mental game I like his arm. He knows how to manipulate the pocket and work inside the pocket to throw. I think his mental game makes him more ready to start and win games for this team while still providing upside. I just don't think Goff is ready to lead a team. To me Mannion is a QB, Goff is still learning how to be one

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yes I do. I like his mental game I like his arm. He knows how to manipulate the pocket and work inside the pocket to throw. I think his mental game makes him more ready to start and win games for this team while still providing upside. I just don't think Goff is ready to lead a team. To me Mannion is a QB, Goff is still learning how to be one

That doesn't make any sense, Goff is already leading the team. There's been tons of stories about him talking to rookies and helping guys out with everything.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That doesn't make any sense, Goff is already leading the team. There's been tons of stories about him talking to rookies and helping guys out with everything.

I'm talking about mental game not leadership how doesn't that make sense and I don't care about any stories during the honeymoon phase. Everything they bring out is go be positive.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/m-m-boys-backing-up-goffexciting.49481/page-2

Short memory?

Goff's quick release,accuracy,pocket pressence,ability to extend plays and red zone
efficiency were his strengths in college and are all better than Mannion.
Mannion is a statute in the pocket.He is slow getting away from center.
His release is on of the slowest I have ever seen.He struggled terribly his senior year
because for the first time in his college career he had poor blocking up front.
Goff had poor blocking his entire career at Cal and shined brighter than Mannion ever did.

Mannion played in a pro system in college,so he was familiar with playing under center.
He also had a year to learn the fisher ball terminology.
Goff who played in a spread type system and was a rookie, had not played under center at all.
So I would certainly hope that Mannion looked better in preseason last year.

Goff came into the league with a absolute joke of a offensive staff that ran one the most
predictable,yet complicated offenses in the NFL.An offense with terrible blocking and
sad receivers who ran lazy routes and dropped balls as much as any team in the league.
Do you think Mannion would have fared any better?

Your argument that Mannion compares to Goff is
almost comical,but most definitely tired.

lol I said less talent that's debatable, I never said Goff wasn't talented. I said that Mannion and his arm is just as Talented as Goff.

You mention what they did in college but Maybe just Maybe its has something to do with Offense A being Pro style offense B is Air RAID any QB is going to but up numbers similar to Goff just like David Webb did so system definitely matters when talking college stats. Not to mention Mannion didn't have a offensive line a running back or any veteran receivers

That's my point really why trade the farm for a guy who wasn't ready to lead this terrible team. We could have went 4-12 with Mannion and still had our first round picks.

I just wonder what the excuses are gonna be this year right from a guy that had more than half of his touchdown total in 1 game.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm talking about mental game not leadership how doesn't that make sense and I don't care about any stories during the honeymoon phase. Everything they bring out is go be positive.

That doesn't really make any sense either, their playstyles don't suggest that. Mannion is like Keenum in that he's a game manager, won't be the leader of the offense, but with a strong running game be a good game manager who will let the defense and run game lead the way. Goff is a passing QB who can lead the offense, it's their playstyle. You're seeing thing's that aren't there based on last year's preseason, but then you discount the regular season where Goff did those things as well.

bluecoconuts

Legend
That's my point really why trade the farm for a guy who wasn't ready to lead this terrible team. We could have went 4-12 with Mannion and still had our first round picks.

Because they determined Goff was better than anyone in this draft, so if we did that we would be without a QB still.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because Mannion was so unimpressive he couldn't even get on the field as a rookie, buried behind the crap show that was Foles/Keenum.
I totally get the doubt about Goff. I have it too, despite being a huge fan of his and the pick of him. But if he cant make it, we start over because Mannion showed nothing, other than being the plodding, slow release QB that he was in college

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sorry dieter, Mannion didn't see the field because he was unimpressive, he didn't see the field because Fisher believed in Keenum and the Foles, who were both worse. I watched Mannion practice at TC and like DX has said, he was technichly ahead of Goff in reading D's, and executing the offense.

I'll go out on a limb here. Mannion will get his chance, and when he does, he's going to impress some folks. Mannion is a student of the game and has a high football IQ, and has enough talent to start for somebody.

I'm not saying Mannion is going to beat out Goff, just that the Rams are lucky to have him for their #2. That they haven't brought in another QB before OTA's is proof they think highly of Mannion and are confident he's progressed.

Last edited:

Zero

Pro Bowler

Because they realized that Mannion was not and is not the answer.
Goff's ceiling and talent is so much higher than Mannion's.
You may not see it yet,but you will.
Goff was mishandled from day one last year.In OTA's and
training camp he was given less repetitions than any of the
QB's.So given that and everything else wrong with the offense,
he didn't stand a chance.Nor would Mannion.

lol I said less talent that's debatable, I never said Goff wasn't talented. I said that Mannion and his arm is just as Talented as Goff.

Once again,this is not even close to true.Not in this universe or any other,
unless of course,you count Dx's dream factory.

AP_16360055087810--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

You see this face?.... Take the time to get used to it,because this is the
face of our franchise for many years to come.
Resistance is futile and the talent is UNDENIABLE!!!!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because they realized that Mannion was not and is not the answer.
Goff's ceiling and talent is so much higher than Mannion's.
You may not see it yet,but you will.
Goff was mishandled from day one last year.In OTA's and
training camp he was given less repetitions than any of the
QB's.So given that and everything else wrong with the offense,
he didn't stand a chance.Nor would Mannion.

Once again,this is not even close to true.Not in this universe or any other,
unless of course,you count Dx's dream factory.

AP_16360055087810--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

You see this face?.... Take the time to get used to it,because this is the
face of our franchise for many years to come.
Resistance is futile and the talent is UNDENIABLE!!!!

When he actually win a game when he has more touchdowns then turnovers then come talk to me about all this talent he supposed to have cause right now the numbers and that 5.3 Ypa just not sitting well to me. So if my Dream factory think we can do better because Goff isn't ready yet then so be it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry dieter, Mannion didn't see the field because he was unimpressive, he didn't see the field because Fisher believed in Keenum and the Foles, who were both worse. I watched Mannion practice at TC and like DX has said, he was technichly ahead of Goff in reading D's, and executing the offense.

I'll go out on a limb here. Mannion will get his chance, and when he does, he's going to impress some folks. Mannion is a student of the game and has a high football IQ, and has enough talent to start for somebody.

I'm not saying Mannion is going to beat out Goff, just that the Rams are lucky to have him for their #2. That they haven't brought in another QB before OTA's is proof they think highly of Mannion and are confident he's progressed.
Goff wasn't on the team in 2015
Keenum was awful down the stretch and if Mannion had shown anything as a rookie, he'd have gotten snaps.
Mannion has lead feet and a slow windup. He had 1 great year in college and 3 mediocre years.
I get that the most popular guy on a football team is the back up QB but I don't understand the fascination with Mannion