Jared Goffs Big Ol' Poll.... What??!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jared Goff will be ____________?

• Total voters

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Every single one of those choices could be him. I don't see how anyone can form any kind of opinion watching him play in that offense. No quarterback can do well with that. I think I'll wait until we see him in a real NFL offense before I pass judgement. Hopefully the new guy can fix what seems to be totally shattered in a million pieces.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I see so much of this /\.

I need to see what type of dedication to improving his overall strength. Floating the ball, weak base...and the inaccurate throws make me nervous...I still think he can be fantastic with the right amount of dedication to his craft. He comes in at 230...little more muscle...and a better understanding of the offense.

I'd also like to see him take advantage of mismatches, go to a hot receivers...and stop staring down targets...Until I SEE these improvements, becoming a better player is just talk.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Give this kid a good O-Line, a couple clutch receivers and he will be great. It will also make the running game click too for Gurley. Focus with new coach has to be getting this offense moving the ball and scoring points. That and getting a D-Coordinator who can build on the defense we already have.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

I need to see what type of dedication to improving his overall strength. Floating the ball, weak base...and the inaccurate throws make me nervous...I still think he can be fantastic with the right amount of dedication to his craft. He comes in at 230...little more muscle...and a better understanding of the offense.

I'd also like to see him take advantage of mismatches, go to a hot receivers...and stop staring down targets...Until I SEE these improvements, becoming a better player is just talk.

He's a rookie, and I believe he will get better. Take into consideration who's coaching him. He has Chris Weinke and Rob Boras to learn from. These two couldn't coach a high school football team's offense.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
As of now I'll have to say Better Than Average, but Not Elite.

Of course I'll reserve my right to flip but currently this is where I'm at

The basis for this poll is completely up to just how the Rams approach the new HC

Hell, I'd even consider Art Bryles...get someone tailor made for Goff and we just might have something here

Get another retread, not so much

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Voted better than average

Opinion includes ability to get to Fantastic

So, Goff's going to be a good one, just how good?

A big priority for me was that Goff actually got better from pre-season to his debut and in his 5 starts.
He's a different player.

He's got some flaws. He's young and needs to get bigger.

I hate that reverse pivot thing he has sometimes.

His pocket movement is as advertised. I liked him at the los prior to the snap in these last couple games.

I like him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

10 people think he's your average qb? Nothing special?

His footwork and movement inside the pocket already make him better than average.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Just absolutely impossible to tell. I couldn't grade him properly on this season with this offense. I see some things from him that I think are great long term traits. Then I see rookie moments. Then I see things like him throwing high all of a sudden for no reason, or the ball not coming out right in the rain. So its just impossible. He could be any of those things on the list. Probably not a complete bust or 3rd tier QB - he's clearly streets ahead of the long term backup guy limited physically like Keenum, Clemens etc. But probably not elite simply because those guys are so rare. He could be though - and he could yet be anything in between. Who the hell knows!?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
-- First off 2016 should have been about The Rams team & organization.

1. Nick Foles was already signed.
2.Seam Mannion is a early rd pick. He looked a lot better in games during the preseason season.
3.The price was very steep & The Rams needed depth. They let there DB's go.
4.Jason Smith & Bradford ?? Why invest in such a bad pattern after drafting Greg Robinson.

--Jared Goff as a QB ?? Wish he did not get takin out of the Sunday game.I saw that Utah game when he had 5 picks.
Jared Goff has all the tools & will to be a real good QB .He is what he is The Rams QB. Needs to add strenght & build team chemistry.

I'm not sure if I missed something here.
It seems like you were trying to tell me something... but I know and I agree...

so what's the problem?

Is this about Fisher?
I'm glad he was let go.

Goff?
I like him. Greg Robinson isn't his fault.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I see a lot to like in the Young man, He just needs a good Line in front of him and some WR's who know how to Catch-The-Damn-Ball!!

Scirca

Rookie
Jared Goff is going to be one of the greatest QB's of all time. The best rams QB also, I have no doubt in my mind.

Something that was screwed up in the drafting process, I desperately need to clear up.

Jared Goff has a stronger arm than Carson Wentz.
Goff throws a football 58mph, while Wentz throws 57mph. I will source this, but I don't know if the mods will let me post that link. (let me know if gifs are allowed.)
For example, just watch how effortlessly he threw a 55 yard bomb to Mike Thomas in the Seahawks game, to get an idea of what his arm strength is.

Goff desperately needs Wide receivers who can catch the ball reliably. I stress the word reliably. I do not trust Britt, Tavon, Gurley, Lance Kendricks, Brian Quick, none of them.

The offensive line needs to be average, not great for him to really show off his potential and prove his mass doubters wrong. I do not understand why the consensus on Goff is that he is awful and that he is a negative when it comes to recruiting coaches.

The media highlights everything Wentz is doing positively while making sure to throw shade at Jared Goff at any chance they get. It's really upsetting to anybody who really watches his game and breaks down each play. "Does he go through progressions, etc.."

When people look at Jared stats (never watched the game..for those of you) it would seem that he is terrible but that's very far from true. People are under the impression that having a bad o-line and bad receivers is an excuse for a qb. The idea that the number 1 pick, no matter the talent around him, should be playing like Dak Prescott, that ridiculous.

Take for example the Patriots - Rams game. I watched the game, there was 10 drops for 85 yards. Nobody mentions that....

Every interception but 1 was his fault.. nobody mentions that... I do not accept a receiver getting manhandled and getting the ball ripped from him to be Goff's fault. He in my eyes has only 1 interception and that's the pick 6 he threw.

Another thing that is starting to gain some steam is that he watches the rush and not the field, that is completely out of bounds and I blame John Lynch for this. He said that Bill Belichick THINKS that Goff watches the rush and not the field. That is not true, take example that infamous one hand sack from the Atlanta game (He was tripped by his own offensive line man; not sacked with one hand), he never looks at the rush unless the offensive line parts like the red sea.

Last edited:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Really it's too early...I didn't vote. Give the kid time.
That's cool but of course it's too early to KNOW but the poll wasn't about what the future will prove but about what you think.

It's obviously too early.
When it's all said and done, sure we'll know what he was...
We've now seen enough snaps in the NFL to know how he moves, what he looks like, how the ball comes out of his hand.
What's the point of talking about players if not to ponder their potential? All that's left is talking g about what they have done.

People talk at length about a guys NFL projection right up until he gets drafted...
After that? Speculation must cease until the results are in.

Scirca

Rookie
That's cool but of course it's too early to KNOW but the poll wasn't about what the future will prove but about what you think.

It's obviously too early.
When it's all said and done, sure we'll know what he was...
We've now seen enough snaps in the NFL to know how he moves, what he looks like, how the ball comes out of his hand.
What's the point of talking about players if not to ponder their potential? All that's left is talking g about what they have done.

People talk at length about a guys NFL projection right up until he gets drafted...
After that? Speculation must cease until the results are in.

He's going to be like a Peyton Manning with a better arm. He mimics his footwork in the pocket. His most studied NFL quarterback is not Aaron Rodgers, it's not Joe Montana but Peyton Manning. It's what Jrry32 sees and it's what I see.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
case in point:

How many of you still give a crap about Goffs "small hands"?

I'm not saying they will never have issues under extreme conditions... but his hand size was actually talked about like it could be a problem.

Now? Is it still a concern?
His drop backs from center?

We've seen him play a little. He might still be a mystery but we know a whole lot more than we did before November...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Agree with you LA , but I do see improvement. Wish he did not take that hit out of bounds, especially since it was coming back anyway.
That hit & the hit last week shows his lack of power & finesse.
-- The part that is scary to me is The Cal Qb this year looked as good as Goff at times( Utah 5 int's) , & Goff seems to get sacked way to many times.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I have some issues with Goff's mechanics...and whatnot, but let's not pretend that if his receivers caught some of his very catchable balls...if he wasn't playing in this abomination of a scheme...if Boras' tampering hadn't actually set the run game backwards...his flaws would remain, but he'd have a ton more production and we might see those flaws in a more flattering light.

I'm agreeing with you that Goff has flaws.

I think I may disagree as to the extent of those flaws or perhaps the attribution.

I mean Goff under Payton or Gruden and we're not having this discussion. Coaching is huge in this.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Jared Goff is going to be one of the greatest QB's of all time. The best rams QB also, I have no doubt in my mind.

Something that was screwed up in the drafting process, I desperately need to clear up.

Jared Goff has a stronger arm than Carson Wentz.
Goff throws a football 58mph, while Wentz throws 57mph. I will source this, but I don't know if the mods will let me post that link. (let me know if gifs are allowed.)
For example, just watch how effortlessly he threw a 55 yard bomb to Mike Thomas in the Seahawks game, to get an idea of what his arm strength is.

Goff desperately needs Wide receivers who can catch the ball reliably. I stress the word reliably. I do not trust Britt, Tavon, Gurley, Lance Kendricks, Brian Quick, none of them.

The offensive line needs to be average, not great for him to really show off his potential and prove his mass doubters wrong. I do not understand why the consensus on Goff is that he is awful and that he is a negative when it comes to recruiting coaches.

The media highlights everything Wentz is doing positively while making sure to throw shade at Jared Goff at any chance they get. It's really upsetting to anybody who really watches his game and breaks down each play. "Does he go through progressions, etc.."

When people look at Jared stats (never watched the game..for those of you) it would seem that he is terrible but that's very far from true. People are under the impression that having a bad o-line and bad receivers is an excuse for a qb. The idea that the number 1 pick, no matter the talent around him, should be playing like Dak Prescott, that ridiculous.

Take for example the Patriots - Rams game. I watched the game, there was 10 drops for 85 yards. Nobody mentions that....

Every interception but 1 was his fault.. nobody mentions that... I do not accept a receiver getting manhandled and getting the ball ripped from him to be Goff's fault. He in my eyes has only 1 interception and that's the pick 6 he threw.

Another thing that is starting to gain some steam is that he watches the rush and not the field, that is completely out of bounds and I blame John Lynch for this. He said that Bill Belichick THINKS that Goff watches the rush and not the field. That is not true, take example that infamous one hand sack from the Atlanta game (He was tripped by his own offensive line man; not sacked with one hand), he never looks at the rush unless the offensive line parts like the red sea.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and hope you're correct in your assessment.

Not to be pedantic, but initial ball velocity does not indicate flight trajectory nor total power applied to the ball. In other words, those initial readings do NOT give you a measure of how strong a QBs arm is or how far the ball will travel. Partially, yes, but there's far more to it.

So as to avoid beating that particular carcass again (I went into the physics and even included graphs during the draft process), I won't include further detail unless asked.

Mike Thomas absolutely should have caught that pass...and it was under thrown by a good two-three yards.

I really like Goff and said when he was drafted that he was wasted under Fisher.

I agree that he's being unfairly criticized. That said I'm not the least bit worried because if any of the rumors are remotely true, any of the guys they are considering will be of tremendous help to Goff's development in short order as well as improving the fundamentals of the offense in general.

I dunno how good Goff will become. So many things come into play when it comes to that. I mean Aaron Rodgers wasn't himself at the beginning of the season when his receivers weren't catching the ball. Now, all of a sudden, his receivers are balling out and Aaron Rodgers is different? That's nonsense. He's barely on a unicycle now as it is and playing lights out.

QBs need their teammates to step up. Period. With better coaching and QB dev under the new HC, we should see plenty of that and see how good Goff can be.

It will be fun and interesting to watch.

Scirca

Rookie
I appreciate your enthusiasm and hope you're correct in your assessment.

Not to be pedantic, but initial ball velocity does not indicate flight trajectory nor total power applied to the ball. In other words, those initial readings do NOT give you a measure of how strong a QBs arm is or how far the ball will travel. Partially, yes, but there's far more to it.

So as to avoid beating that particular carcass again (I went into the physics and even included graphs during the draft process), I won't include further detail unless asked.

Mike Thomas absolutely should have caught that pass...and it was under thrown by a good two-three yards.

I really like Goff and said when he was drafted that he was wasted under Fisher.

I agree that he's being unfairly criticized. That said I'm not the least bit worried because if any of the rumors are remotely true, any of the guys they are considering will be of tremendous help to Goff's development in short order as well as improving the fundamentals of the offense in general.

I dunno how good Goff will become. So many things come into play when it comes to that. I mean Aaron Rodgers wasn't himself at the beginning of the season when his receivers weren't catching the ball. Now, all of a sudden, his receivers are balling out and Aaron Rodgers is different? That's nonsense. He's barely on a unicycle now as it is and playing lights out.

QBs need their teammates to step up. Period. With better coaching and QB dev under the new HC, we should see plenty of that and see how good Goff can be.

It will be fun and interesting to watch.

Ryan Mallett is known for his crazy arm strength yet he only threw 58mph velocity according to NFL combine. Can you explain to me the correlation between velocity and the ability to really throw the ball far,I'm really curious.