Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
There is.

My point is that Wentz was the better choice but Goff is a good QB. ANY fan that has watched the two with blinders, would probably choose Wentz. Had he not been injured, he would be an NFL MVP candidate.

No discounting what the current coaching or team has done, but Wentz, right now, looks like would have been the better choice.

Goff has seriously under thrown a lot of passes made up for by great receiving.

Would you seriously disagree?

With all due respect, you're entitled to your opinion, but not to assume that everyone shares it or should do so. In my experience what fans think and current supposed wisdom has little meaning or staying power. Prefer my own judgment, which happens to be different than yours.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
There is.

My point is that Wentz was the better choice but Goff is a good QB. ANY fan that has watched the two with blinders, would probably choose Wentz. Had he not been injured, he would be an NFL MVP candidate.

No discounting what the current coaching or team has done, but Wentz, right now, looks like would have been the better choice.

Goff has seriously under thrown a lot of passes made up for by great receiving.

Would you seriously disagree?

Wentz is 2 years older and has played in the same system for the 2nd season in a row. He also came from a pro style system so he was always going to adapt faster to the nfl game. That being said Wentz is injury prone just look at his last 3 years. He’s probably not gonna avoid that injury bug either unfortunately due to his style of play.

I actually think Goff is a much better fit for mcvay’s offense. Due to his superiority to Wentz in accuracy and ability to hit mid level/middle of the field routes with consistency.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes.

It's hard to underestimate the damage caused to Goff by the one year with Fisher and his total crap Offensive staff.

Wentz who'd played in a pro-style offense in college when to a QB friendly HC in Doug Pedersen and so he had a learning curve that wasn't as steep with a coach that understood how to bring along a rookie QB.

I mean, Goff isn't really in his second season yet.

When I look, I look at accuracy versus completion percentage. Wentz like Dak misses some super easy passes. And when he does complete a pass, it's not nearly often enough in the optimal receiving window.

When you watch Goff, he's really putting the ball in the right place on the receiver. His accuracy is substantially better.

I think Wentz has hit his ceiling for the most part.

I think Goff is just getting started.

So, yeah, I'd seriously disagree. Context matters in this debate and when I watch the two, especially with McVay, I take Goff every day and a thousand times on Sunday.

I couldn't agree more. After the eagles game i was thrilled the rams chose Goff. His throws just looks better to my eyes. Much more accurate and efficient.

Gurley would have nowhere near the year he's having without all those accurate screen passes Goff sends his way. Not a millisecond of time is wasted by Gurley adjusting to the ball, it's right there on him so he doesn't break stride.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I've been away. Didn't know it was a big deal.

Put me down as a Goff fan and a believer that Wentz was the obvious enough choice by a bad coaching staff.

Let's not be delusional.
Lets give it a couple more years. I mean Colin Kaperknuckle was going to be the greatest QB ever according to Jaws and then....he wasn't. But the first couple of years you might have proclaimed him a future hall of famer. The fact is you or I don't know yet. Only time will tell.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
Now here’s the kicker for me that’s even more awesome, I know at least 3-4 of those picks (if not more) are from wide receivers tipping passes to defenders or just plain bad luck on some plays. I get it that it’s part of the game but those numbers are a bit skewed simply because he’s not throwing many bad passes to the other team, only a couple all season. The growth has been tremendous. Love the kid.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
those 24 yards running mariota had are worth more than 4 tds in that freaked up stat.

espn wanted running qbs on top of the pile. when it came out they explained that they wanted to show how important running is for the qb's overall performance. that the passer rating wasn't fair to qbs that could run but couldn't pass efficiently.

it's an appalling stat.

Let's see..... what's more important to a quarterback?
Running ability or passing ability?

I guess it's a real stumper for ESPN.

Memphis Ram

Legend
When Malcolm Brown was injured, McVay leaned on Gurley less so he didn't wear him out or risk injury since backup options were weak. Goff was the main threat in those games and played well.

Not so sure that had anything to do with it with given that Gurley's least amount of usage came in games when Malcolm Brown was still available.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Now here’s the kicker for me that’s even more awesome, I know at least 3-4 of those picks (if not more) are from wide receivers tipping passes to defenders or just plain bad luck on some plays. I get it that it’s part of the game but those numbers are a bit skewed simply because he’s not throwing many bad passes to the other team, only a couple all season. The growth has been tremendous. Love the kid.

Not to be argumentative, but he’s also had just as many, if not more dropped interceptions so it equals out and he still has elite numbers.

As to the “growth”, the offense has expanded incrementally throughout the year and Jared has learned to take more responsibility and has made better decisions as he’s learned to read defenses better. In this, he’s exceeded my expectations and I credit him and the coaching staff both for this development. It’s allowed the Rams to change the tempo more as the season progresses. Some lazy analysts claim McVay is feeding him everything he needs to know pre-snap and others suggest he only gets simple reads...and neither are true. Goff gets a set of options every play and processes them all very quickly. He’s been right more than he’s been wrong (encouraging) but there’s more growth to come as D coordinators will adjust and so Jared will need to do so as well. There is no substitute for NFL experience and Goff’s game will improve over time. With that said, his accuracy this year is much better than average and to me, that’s his greatest strength.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
That being said Wentz is injury prone just look at his last 3 years. He’s probably not gonna avoid that injury bug either unfortunately due to his style of play.

this is a lot more important then most think wentz has been more injury prone then goff. goff took a real beating in college and had one injury he may look frail but so far seems real durable.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First of all... I don't think quarterbacks have "bad years"... only bad teams. To say Peyton Manning stunk in year 2 is ridiculous. It's the same guy! Their teams, however, can be totally different. I understand they can have a down year... maybe throw a couple more interceptions or play with an injury or whatever... but it's still the same guy. Secondly, to say Wentz is better than Goff (and claim it as fact) is premature. I love Wentz, but he definitely had a better team and a better coach to start his career with. Goff might be a better passer, and Wentz might be a better runner, but it is waaay too early to decide who is better. Let's just enjoy the rivalry while it lasts. And right now Goff is heading into the playoffs and setting all kinds of records, and Wentz is home. Does not mean Goff is better... just having a better year.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For me, the moment I knew Goff had arrived was during the Titans game. If you recall the Titans tried some weird onside kick when the Rams weren't on the field and there was mass confusion. Who was the one arguing rules with the refs?

The 23 year old kid is the leader out there, second to McVay.

Goff-argue.png

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has had about 7 dropped by dbs that he sent straight to them so like @jrry32 said it all evens out.
Goff growth has been expedited by McVay no doubt about it. I just wanna ride this wave until we win this Super Bowl

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The tweet so nice I had to post it twice!

My bad lol
All good brother it happens a lot and I do it often. This morning is fun all the non Rams fans in the office are talking our boys up. A fun start to the day.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not so sure that had anything to do with it with given that Gurley's least amount of usage came in games when Malcolm Brown was still available.

You don't have to be sure. McVay said it in a press conference a few weeks ago. But you are focusing on the wrong point. Goff was getting it done without leaning heavily on Gurley.