Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Still, and for the record, I would have drafted Wentz over Goff and, as much as I'm liking Goff, I've not changed in my opinion.

Our former QBs success is interesting in that Snisher did have an eye for talent. Our former QBs having success elsewhere speaks volumes and I'm confused as to why some don't acknowledge it over trashing them.

Would Keenum have been as successful as Goff in this system and on this team? I think maybe. Wentz would be more so than Goff. Still, I like where we are a lot.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still, and for the record, I would have drafted Wentz over Goff and, as much as I'm liking Goff, I've not changed in my opinion.

Our former QBs success is interesting in that Snisher did have an eye for talent. Our former QBs having success elsewhere speaks volumes and I'm confused as to why some don't acknowledge it over trashing them.

Would Keenum have been as successful as Goff in this system and on this team? I think maybe. Wentz would be more so than Goff. Still, I like where we are a lot.

Is there a point to injecting Wentz into the thread? At the end of the day, Goff is available to play next week and into the playoffs (*knock on wood*).

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Little off there, Blue. I think you calculated that second half for 7 games. That’s in 8. So it’s more like 4,100 yards 38 touchdowns 6 INTs.
It's still outstanding. If you care to do the math comparing him to Brady, who has more passing attempts, the numbers would be very comparable on the same number of attempts.

It's true Goff has Gurley, but it's also fair to note that Gurley would not be as successful without an effective passing game, as in last year.

Goff is one of the top passers in the league. He will be a top 5 qb next year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's still outstanding. If you care to do the math comparing him to Brady, who has more passing attempts, the numbers would be very comparable on the same number of attempts.

It's true Goff has Gurley, but it's also fair to note that Gurley would not be as successful without an effective passing game, as in last year.

Goff is one of the top passers in the league. He will be a top 5 qb next year.

Yep, it's amazing. Goff's numbers are right on par with Brady's if you look at efficiency. Goff has the better TD:Int ratio, a better TD%, an equal Int%, and a slightly worse YPA (0.1 worse). His completion% is also lower, but his YPC is higher.

Realistically, Brady is a better QB, but it's still amazing that Goff's numbers are right on par with Brady's.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
QBR really is a terrible stat. It’s a made up statistic based on completely random things by ESPN. It’s a stat that rewards QBs for playing bad. I mean, all the terrible QBs seem to have great QBRs.

QB rating isn’t perfect but it’s a much more simpler concept and more accurate in statistically ranking QBs.

Created by Dilfer. That's all we need to know.

And he's in year one of a system that he's made plenty of mistakes in. This could be his floor, guys.

I hope so. This last game he was a bit off target on a lot of his throws. He should be peaking this time of year.

Goff has done a good job of getting the ball to Gurley. And without Gurley's contribution, chances are he doesn't come close to those numbers. Hence Gurley for MVP talk.

When Malcolm Brown was injured, McVay leaned on Gurley less so he didn't wear him out or risk injury since backup options were weak. Goff was the main threat in those games and played well.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
28 TD, 7 INT, 8.0 YPA, 3804 passing yards through 15 games

I love the Gurley for MVP talk, but just giving Goff his share of love. None of us expected him to be this good so early.

Not saying this to argue, but actually some of us did expect him to be this good, and sooner rather than later. He is simply playing to his considerable ability now in a well conceived offense. Of course, he will get significantly better as he learns the pro game and matures to a ripe old age of 24 or 25.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope so. This last game he was a bit off target on a lot of his throws. He should be peaking this time of year.

I think a big part of that was Tennessee's pass rush. They were bullrushing guys back into Goff's lap. It forced Goff to have to make some difficult throws. Here's a great example of that:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSxCVLTp6KE

Goff has Havenstein in his lap when he makes the throw. It keeps him from stepping into it, forces him to put more air under it (to keep it from being batted), and forces him to throw around the defender and blocker. It's a tough throw. Kupp made a great catch, but that's a very challenging throw.

Tennessee was doing that a lot on Sunday. Their edge rushers were really bulling our OTs back into Goff's face. And Goff also was being forced to move around the pocket a lot. It was a nice job by Tennessee. McVay did an amazing job of calling screens to punish their aggressive pass rush.

This wasn't one of the games where Goff got to sit back and pick apart the defense. They came after him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not saying this to argue, but actually some of us did expect him to be this good, and sooner rather than later. He is simply playing to his considerable ability now in a well conceived offense. Of course, he will get significantly better as he learns the pro game and matures to a ripe old age of 24 or 25.

I will caution people not to apply the logic that Goff is only going to get better from year to year. Here are the careers of some of franchise QBs:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BreeDr00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StafMa00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RyanMa00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RoetBe00.htm

People often expect QB growth to be linear, but that's often not what happens. For young QBs, you see them bounce back and forth a bit. Derek Carr and Dak Prescott are two examples of QBs having down years after really good years in 2016. Even Peyton Manning had a couple of down years before his prime. The reality is that QBs generally don't hit their prime until 26 to 28 years old. Goff is 23 years old.

As much as I'd love for Goff to be the exception, odds are that he'll probably fall in with most other QBs. He'll have a down year or two before his 27th birthday. Maybe McVay can prevent that from happening. If so, I'll be elated. Personally, I think we have our franchise QB, but I'm also understanding that there will be some bumps in the ride over the next 3-4 years. Basically, I don't expect him to put up 4000+ yards, 30+ TDs, and a 100+ QB Rating every year.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I will caution people not to apply the logic that Goff is only going to get better from year to year. Here are the careers of some of franchise QBs:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BreeDr00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StafMa00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RyanMa00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RoetBe00.htm

People often expect QB growth to be linear, but that's often not what happens. For young QBs, you see them bounce back and forth a bit. Derek Carr and Dak Prescott are two examples of QBs having down years after really good years in 2016. Even Peyton Manning had a couple of down years before his prime. The reality is that QBs generally don't hit their prime until 26 to 28 years old. Goff is 23 years old.

As much as I'd love for Goff to be the exception, odds are that he'll probably fall in with most other QBs. He'll have a down year or two before his 27th birthday. Maybe McVay can prevent that from happening. If so, I'll be elated. Personally, I think we have our franchise QB, but I'm also understanding that there will be some bumps in the ride over the next 3-4 years. Basically, I don't expect him to put up 4000+ yards, 30+ TDs, and a 100+ QB Rating every year.
Not applying logic based on other examples. I'm looking at who and where Goff is now, his determination, and his own capacity for growth, physical and mental.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not applying logic based on other examples. I'm looking at who and where Goff is now, his determination, and his own capacity for growth, physical and mental.

I'm just trying to keep expectations to a reasonable level. I'm as big of a Goff homer as anyone on this board, but I don't want to be stuck defending the kid next year if he takes a step back from very good to above average. ;)

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Great players work on their weaknesses in the offseason.... since the past two off-seasons were mostly about learning a new system, I would expect Goff to really work on throwing on the move. If he can improve that area of his game by 25% he will be a much better QB or should say a more dangerous QB.

Not saying I want to see him run, but being more accurate on rollouts and movement off of play action or just when being flushed from the pocket, will be a huge improvement for him and the offense.

Could be scary good.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I'm just trying to keep expectations to a reasonable level. I'm as big of a Goff homer as anyone on this board, but I don't want to be stuck defending the kid next year if he takes a step back from very good to above average. ;)
Yeah, of course you're right and I get it. I'm usually conservative in making any predictions about the future-- as the French say, nothing is certain except death and taxes.

Let me put it this way: Goff has shown an exceptional level of determination, hard work, and capacity for growth. As our Boy Genius coach says, and to paraphrase him and Bill Walsh, when you follow the process the results will take care of themselves. Goff hasn't come this far to be satisfied with pretty good. He will get better, and we'll see about the results.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Is there a point to injecting Wentz into the thread? At the end of the day, Goff is available to play next week and into the playoffs (*knock on wood*).

There is.

My point is that Wentz was the better choice but Goff is a good QB. ANY fan that has watched the two with blinders, would probably choose Wentz. Had he not been injured, he would be an NFL MVP candidate.

No discounting what the current coaching or team has done, but Wentz, right now, looks like would have been the better choice.

Goff has seriously under thrown a lot of passes made up for by great receiving.

Would you seriously disagree?

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is.

My point is that Wentz was the better choice but Goff is a good QB. ANY fan that has watched the two with blinders, would probably choose Wentz. Had he not been injured, he would be an NFL MVP candidate.

No discounting what the current coaching or team has done, but Wentz, right now, looks like would have been the better choice.

Great. It would be appreciated if you made that point on one of the million Goff vs. Wentz threads on this forum. I like you, man, but this is a thread celebrating Goff. There's no reason to muck it up with stuff like that when there are threads created specifically for that purpose. Posting that will just turn this thread into another Goff vs. Wentz debate.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

Especially if we hit an extended playoff run. Shortening any time for rest and his opportunity to work on his own this coming off season

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
There is.

Would you seriously disagree?

Yes.

It's hard to underestimate the damage caused to Goff by the one year with Fisher and his total crap Offensive staff.

Wentz who'd played in a pro-style offense in college when to a QB friendly HC in Doug Pedersen and so he had a learning curve that wasn't as steep with a coach that understood how to bring along a rookie QB.

I mean, Goff isn't really in his second season yet.

When I look, I look at accuracy versus completion percentage. Wentz like Dak misses some super easy passes. And when he does complete a pass, it's not nearly often enough in the optimal receiving window.

When you watch Goff, he's really putting the ball in the right place on the receiver. His accuracy is substantially better.

I think Wentz has hit his ceiling for the most part.

I think Goff is just getting started.

So, yeah, I'd seriously disagree. Context matters in this debate and when I watch the two, especially with McVay, I take Goff every day and a thousand times on Sunday.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Great. It would be appreciated if you made that point on one of the million Goff vs. Wentz threads on this forum. I like you, man, but this is a thread celebrating Goff. There's no reason to muck it up with stuff like that when there are threads created specifically for that purpose. Posting that will just turn this thread into another Goff vs. Wentz debate.

I've been away. Didn't know it was a big deal.

Put me down as a Goff fan and a believer that Wentz was the obvious enough choice by a bad coaching staff.

Let's not be delusional.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to hand it to Goff. He has played very well and is still healthy and in it to win it.

Good Job Jared!!

He has happily far exceeded my expectations this year.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yes.

It's hard to underestimate the damage caused to Goff by the one year with Fisher and his total crap Offensive staff.

Wentz who'd played in a pro-style offense in college when to a QB friendly HC in Doug Pedersen and so he had a learning curve that wasn't as steep with a coach that understood how to bring along a rookie QB.

I mean, Goff isn't really in his second season yet.

When I look, I look at accuracy versus completion percentage. Wentz like Dak misses some super easy passes. And when he does complete a pass, it's not nearly often enough in the optimal receiving window.

When you watch Goff, he's really putting the ball in the right place on the receiver. His accuracy is substantially better.

I think Wentz has hit his ceiling for the most part.

I think Goff is just getting started.

So, yeah, I'd seriously disagree. Context matters in this debate and when I watch the two, especially with McVay, I take Goff every day and a thousand times on Sunday.
I hope you're right.

RamzFanz

Damnit
For the record, I think Goff is a good QB.

He's no hero, like others, but he's solid. Impressive. Glad we have him.