Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
1716-17-1024x576.jpg
Seems like he's being penalized significantly for his time to throw. The problem with that is plays like this one. Facing Goff in the shotgun with 10 personnel, the Saints opt to rush three and drop eight into coverage. By design, this defense gives the QB more time to throw but fewer open receivers. Recognizing the situation, Goff takes his time working through his progression and eventually directs a receiver to an open spot in the end zone for a touchdown. Goff having more time to throw was not a failing of the Saints' rush, but a conscious choice to focus more on coverage. The point is, many young/poor QB's fail to recognize this type of situation, and needlessly either throw too soon to a covered receiver or roll out, disrupting protection that is holding up just fine. (This was an Alex Smith specialty for years.)

It may be fair to penalize a QB for having more time to throw than his peers, but it makes no sense to penalize him for taking full advantage of whatever time he gets.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Still, and for the record, I would have drafted Wentz over Goff and, as much as I'm liking Goff, I've not changed in my opinion.

Our former QBs success is interesting in that Snisher did have an eye for talent. Our former QBs having success elsewhere speaks volumes and I'm confused as to why some don't acknowledge it over trashing them.

Would Keenum have been as successful as Goff in this system and on this team? I think maybe. Wentz would be more so than Goff. Still, I like where we are a lot.

Totally disagree on Wentz.
Of course there no way to know for sure, but this system is more suited to Goff’s skill set IMHO.
Also, Wentz being out for the year is one of the reasons I still pick Goff over Wentz.
I think we will have many more years of Wentz being injured and out for long periods of time.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Goff lost 1 fumble and that fumble was on a handoff in which brown totally blew his block. Mariota also fumbled twice I believe. Was extremely lucky to get both of them back. Was sacked twice too though I don’t believe they counted Donald’s strip sack as a sack.

We should also note that Goff didn't run around outside the pocket to buy time, because he was taking a lot of small steps within the pocket to avoid pressure. Titans brought the heat a lot, and Goff was able to avoid pressure and make them pay. All 4 of his touchdowns were against the blitz, I think he has the most TD's while facing the blitz.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Nah. Only when the stat lines go against what was alleged to be stated. Which, of course, goes against YOUR narrative.

So, your saying without Gurley, Goff sucks. A lot of people disagree with that, especially l lynch when, in a few games where defenses focused on Gurley, and forced Goff to win with the pass, he was able to. Like when Brown was injured.

Memphis Ram

Legend
So, your saying without Gurley, Goff sucks. A lot of people disagree with that, especially l lynch when, in a few games where defenses focused on Gurley, and forced Goff to win with the pass, he was able to. Like when Brown was injured.

You read my posts and got this nonsense?

Flint

Pro Bowler
There is.

My point is that Wentz was the better choice but Goff is a good QB. ANY fan that has watched the two with blinders, would probably choose Wentz. Had he not been injured, he would be an NFL MVP candidate.

No discounting what the current coaching or team has done, but Wentz, right now, looks like would have been the better choice.

Goff has seriously under thrown a lot of passes made up for by great receiving.

Would you seriously disagree?

Even Brady looks better with Gronk than without, so no I don’t think he’s any more a product of his receivers than anyone else.

I expect Goff to get a little more consistent next year, he should have a better grasp on the offense in year 2.
I don’t think these comparisons are really accurate between Goff and Wentz, Wentz has played all of his professional games in 2 years in the same offense whereas Goff just played in his 15th for McVay, that’s an advantage for Wentz. It’s also hard to compare their styles, do you really want a scrambling qb knowing that it’s a near certainty that he will get hurt?

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I swear we need to make an effin I KNEW CARSON WENTZ WOULD BE THE BETTER QB sticky thread and leave it up so we can avoid the constant injection of those posts every time we discuss our QB. Then those posters can go in there and get all that recognition they're lookin for down the road if things turn out the way they think it will.

AGREED !!!!!

Reminds me of the Suh vs Bradford debate.

Goff is our QB and he’s getting the W’s - the kid is growing! Enough said.

Wanna piss me off? Talk about trading up for Tavon. WTF? This is proof that Fish smokes crack.

Ramzheart

Rookie
He was the first pick of the draft. Only a fool would think he was a bust after seven starts. A guy is drafted first overall to excel, to be a top performer at his position. That is what is expected of a guy taken first over all....otherwise he wouldn't be taken first overal.
That's what I mean.
You can believe that about Keenum if you want. Reason would say it's not true. But this will lead to the predictable circular arguement that always comes when discussing QBs and it means little.
Well, there are a lot of fools out there then!!!!

Ram65

Legend
The Titans were pumped up for this game. They played one of their best games of the year because they had more to lose. How does QBR take that into consideration. It can't. There are way too many variables to consider in a NFL Game.

I've been looking at the weekly replays and it surprises me that Goff looks better than when I watch live. He hasn't been throwing many INTs. When he is pressured he gets out of the pocket a lot of times and calmly looks for a target. Even in the pocket with pressure he does not hurt the team with an INT. The Titans had a lot of pressure. That fumble caused by an unblock defensive lineman should not be in anyway effect Goff's rating.

I'm not giving Goff a top 5 QB rating. I don't know enough or watch enough about all the QBs to place him. I do know he makes throws like the one to Kupp for the game winning TD. Looks like he would have had the deep pass to Kupp that got a big pass interference call but,that doesn't show up on his stats. Goff's not perfect but, he makes plays that help the Rams win.

TexasRam

Legend
There hasn’t been a better QB then Goff the last half of the season. 19 TD 3 int in 8 games. No other QB is even close. He’s on a Hall of Fame Trajectory even if this is his ceiling. If he can keep this pace.

But is Goff’s Pace sustainable?

His numbers will rise and fall over the years but will be most affected by supporting cast in my opinion.

Mark my words, Goff will excel in this system as long as Snead and Mcvay get their Oline replenished and are able to build the depth.

We we’re beyond lucky this year to have all starting 5 lineman healthy all year, we need to plan to not expect that every year. We have one NFL caliber interior backup in Blythe and no NFL caliber backup tackles.

Goff has been excellent sensing pressure and flushing when needed but like Keenum and Wentz, Goff had an excellent Oline in front of him.

Does Goff need to develop his ability to throw on the run?

It would be nice but QB’s like Brady, Manning, Brees, Ryan, Marino etc show throwing on the run is not necessary.

How important are all pro WR’s?

Brady averaged 26 TD’s a year for 6 years until Randy Moss showed up, Suddendly Brady had 50 TD’s.

In an article written in 2016 Brady’s stats with and without Gronk were compiled and here is what it revealed:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/12/pat...ski-not-good-ryan-fitzpatrick-went-to-harvard

Tom Brady stats without Gronk:

Comp%:

Yards/attempts: 6.5

Rating: 82.4

Compare those numbers to Ryan Fitzpatrick’s over the last five seasons:

Comp%: 60.5

Yards/attempts: 7.0

Rating: 84.4

Tom Brady’s stats when Gronk plays:

Comp%: 65.3

Yards/attempts: 7.9

Rating: 103.5

Basically Tom Brady without Gronk is Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Supporting cast can dramatically affect a QB.

Last edited:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
There hasn’t been a better QB then Goff the last half of the season. 19 TD 3 int in 8 games. No other QB is even close. He’s on a Hall of Fame Trajectory even if this is his ceiling. If he can keep this pace.

But is Goff’s Pace sustainable?

His numbers will rise and fall over the years but will be most affected by supporting cast in my opinion.

Mark my words, Goff will excel in this system as long as Snead and Mcvay get their Oline replenished and are able to build the depth.

We we’re beyond lucky this year to have all starting 5 lineman healthy all year, we need to plan to not expect that every year. We have one NFL caliber interior backup in Blythe and no NFL caliber backup tackles.

Goff has been excellent sensing pressure and flushing when needed but like Keenum and Wentz, Goff had an excellent Oline in front of him.

Does Goff need to develop his ability to throw on the run?

It would be nice but QB’s like Brady, Manning, Brees, Ryan, Marino etc show throwing on the run is not necessary.

How important are all pro WR’s?

Brady averaged 26 TD’s a year for 6 years until Randy Moss showed up, Suddendly Brady had 50 TD’s.

In an article written in 2016 Brady’s stats with and without Gronk were compiled and here is what it revealed:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/12/pat...ski-not-good-ryan-fitzpatrick-went-to-harvard

Tom Brady stats without Gronk:

Comp%:

Yards/attempts: 6.5

Rating: 82.4

Compare those numbers to Ryan Fitzpatrick’s over the last five seasons:

Comp%: 60.5

Yards/attempts: 7.0

Rating: 84.4

Tom Brady’s stats when Gronk plays:

Comp%: 65.3

Yards/attempts: 7.9

Rating: 103.5

Basically Tom Brady without Gronk is Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Supporting cast can dramatically affect a QB.

GREAT freaking post!!!