Jared Goff says Rams can run Redskins' deep passing offense under Sean McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
He's also a lot bigger target and can use his size the shield defenders. Austin doesn't have that luxury. He has amazing God given talent of speed and insane quickness. He just hasn't put that talent to use.
"He just hasn't put that talent to use" Snisher drafting philosophy -athletic/raw-low football IQ-

FRO

Legend
Again, that's bad route running. It doesn't mean it's laziness.

Plus, rounding off the break is correct in some circumstances.
We're arguing semantics. To me running bad routes is lazy. That's my point.

FRO

Legend
Potential over production.
Exactly. The Rams drafting philosophy reminds me of the family guy episode where Peter wins a prize. He gets to pick between a boat and a mystery box. He picked the mystery box because he said you never know what could be in the mystery box, it could even be a boat. Well the mystery box was nothing. The Rams like drafting the mystery box because they think the potential in it could be endless and they pass up the sure thing in front of them.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coaches were making Austin run lazy routes? That's 100% on the player to improve their craft. Britt had a 1,000 yard season with the same bad scheme and QB play.

I have never seen Austin run a lazy route. I think that narrative is lazy and a way to group in the entire wr core. How many times did they run slants with Austin curl routes go routes dig routes. The previous coaches didn't know how to use Austin so they stuck to gimmick plays instead of treating him like a wr. That's entirely on the coaches, and still him being limited in what the coaches allowed him to do he still produced and if not for all the call backs this entire conversation would be different

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
“I think we’re going to do a lot of what they did last year: a lot of downfield passing stuff,” Goff said of the Redskins’ offense, which ranked second in the NFL in yards per pass play and passing yards per game. “I think that’s obviously transferable here.”
This ^ is all well and good, but It won't work without a much, much better performance from our O-Line!! " I know, I'm only stating what everyone else already knows, Call me Capt. Obvious!!:LOL:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Okay, but what WR have we developed?

At some point it's either a total failure in scouting or coaching.

Seeing as Tavon has had breakout days and shown glimpses of what he could be, I tend to believe it's coaching. That also jibes with all the available evidence about our crappy offense.
I'll admit that I certainly have my doubts about Tavon Austin, but I'll concede that our perceptions are jaded by the previous coaching regime.

So, while we may all have an emotional opinion of the existing roster based on performance, it's a good thing that a new coach and a fresh set of eyes will give the entire roster a chance to succeed. And that's only logical, because the Rams don't have a lot of draft capital to facilitate a wholesale change anyway.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Great concepts, lots of variety...Yeah, they can run that...It's the great execution that I'm waiting to see...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Exactly. The Rams drafting philosophy reminds me of the family guy episode where Peter wins a prize. He gets to pick between a boat and a mystery box. He picked the mystery box because he said you never know what could be in the mystery box, it could even be a boat. Well the mystery box was nothing. The Rams like drafting the mystery box because they think the potential in it could be endless and they pass up the sure thing in front of them.
Ahhh. The old Peter Griffin draft board. :ROFLMAO:
Too many of these players with potential have been high picks. Guy's like Quick, TA, Grob, Pead, Joyner. Those are all premium picks. Though we don't expect to hit on all picks, there were options there that were safer bets.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great concepts, lots of variety...Yeah, they can run that...It's the great execution that I'm waiting to see...
This is a good point and I agree that execution is the bottom line to all teams. But for me a huge issue is philosophy. My first reaction when I hear "west coast offense" is think "wuss coast offense" and :puke:at the cowardly way to play offense being more concerned about preventing turnovers than attacking defenses and scoring points.

But in a rather sad commentary of today's game it has actually come full circle where some of the wuss, er west coast schemes are actually producing some of the most air yards QBs, with Cousins/Washington #1. If McVay is going to remain true to that, I can stomach it being referred to as a WCO because in reality that's a WCO in name and terminology only, nothing like its wussy origins. The thought of not being last place in throwing short of the sticks on 3rd down is enough for me to get excited about.

But yeah in the end no matter what the system is labeled you need accurate passer and WRs that don't drop balls and an OL that can block for more than 2 seconds and so on...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Coaches were making Austin run lazy routes? That's 100% on the player to improve their craft. Britt had a 1,000 yard season with the same bad scheme and QB play.
Sure looked like we were running him into heavy coverages and the plays themselves were poorly designed. I just have a hard time with the idea that as scrappy as this guy is, that he was running lazy anything. He was an enthusiastic blocker and very emotional. That generally doesn't fit with lazy. Pissed off maybe but..... I'll wait to see how he is used in a real offense.

Scirca

Rookie
He was an enthusiastic blocker and very emotional.

The fact that he is very emotional is a big problem. If things don't go his away he will throw fits. He is a turnover machine, unreliable. The only positive thing he has is the fact that he has 4.2 speed. He is a horrible route runner, no hands, and short fused. I still can't get over that contract they gave him, they knew ahead of time, what he was asking for was that Dez Bryant kinda money, without that same kind of production. I hope Mcvay can get some value out of him. He is one of the worst decisions that Rams have ever made.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I don't get the fasination w/ DeSean Jackson. Yes, he's a better receiver than anyone we have. But wouldn't Tavon fill that position and then some w/ his running ability. And wouldn't that make Jackson a redundancy we wouldn't need. I'd like to see Garcon added and maybe another bigger receiver (maybe even Britt.....) to fill out our WR crew.
Tavon has boards for hands. He has to fix that. Otherwise we will be talking about his potential forever

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Okay, but what WR have we developed?

At some point it's either a total failure in scouting or coaching.

Seeing as Tavon has had breakout days and shown glimpses of what he could be, I tend to believe it's coaching. That also jibes with all the available evidence about our crappy offense.
To this point though, he could be considered part of the problem. He drops contested balls. Many on 3rd down.