Jared Goff says Rams can run Redskins' deep passing offense under Sean McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Jared Goff says Rams can run Redskins' deep passing offense under Sean McVay

Eric Edholm
Shutdown Corner
Jan 21, 2017, 10:55 AM

Jared Goff has had time to rest up from a trying first season, let his body heal, spend a little time in Mexico with his friends … but now he’s ready to go back to work. He has a new head coach, a new offensive system and new perspective heading into his first full offseason of work in the NFL.

The Los Angeles Rams quarterback spent much of last season waiting his turn (for much of it as the team’s third quarterback) before starting the final seven games of the season and still seeking his first victory in the league. He’ll be doing it under his third head coach following the firing of Jeff Fisher, and with interim coach John Fassel being replaced by 30-year-old, first-time head coach Sean McVay.

Goff is now back in Los Angeles (more on that below), and he’s excited to get working with McVay on a new direction offensively.

“He’s ready, ready to get this thing turned around, as am I,” Goff told Shutdown Corner Friday night. “We’ve talked now a few times since he’s been hired, and it’s a great start.”

b27a8629de356bd9b61f0439f5ed8eb9

Jared Goff believes that the Rams’ new offense will be going deep more. (AP)
Goff met with McVay before and after the new coach was hired, and he was the only coach Goff met with during the Rams’ interview process — which might say a lot about how impressive McVay with the team’s brass.

“I thought after that first meeting, if he gets the job I am completely on board,” Goff said. “I was very, very pleased. Now the hard work begins.”

Goff believes the Rams’ offense can have the same type of feel as the system McVay ran with the Washington Redskins.

“I think we’re going to do a lot of what they did last year: a lot of downfield passing stuff,” Goff said of the Redskins’ offense, which ranked second in the NFL in yards per pass play and passing yards per game. “I think that’s obviously transferable here.”

Goff had no idea at the time, but starting early last season he would be watching tape of opposing defenses, and he said it seemed that every other week he was getting a look at what the Redskins and quarterback Kirk Cousins did offensively.

“I kept saying, either to myself or to the other quarterbacks in the room, ‘Hey, man, I really like this. I like what they do.’ I had no idea [McVay] would be bringing that here at the time,” Goff said. “Great concepts, lots of variety, great execution. It’s all there.

“Now I get to run that. You could see Kirk making tough throws, but they were scheming stuff up to get guys open. That’s one thing I noticed, a lot of guys running free, which is obviously appealing to me.”

As far as McVay’s age, Goff says he is not worried at all. The Rams were the youngest team in the NFL last season and likely will be one of the youngest again this season.

“If there’s a team it’s not going to be a problem with, it’s us,” he said. “But I don’t think it would be a problem regardless, just because of who he is. Who is to say that you can’t be a good head coach at 31? It’s not like the president — you don’t need to be 35. There’s no age requirement. You judge is on their knowledge and their capabilities.

“I know he is the right guy for this job.”

Goff might have struggled in his seven starts, completing 54.6 percent of his passes for a mere 5.3 yards per attempt, with only five TDs to seven interceptions. But he feels lucky that he came out of the season healthy and not in need of injury rehab. That will allow him to continue working on his conditioning and also absorb his third offensive system in three years, going back to Cal.

He also felt that going against so many talented teams and facing some adversity in those seven starts actually will be a benefit building toward his second season.

“Just that experience of facing some pretty good teams was huge,” Goff said. “The Seahawks, the Patriots, the Falcons, the Dolphins, even the Cardinals and Saints. The Niners were probably the only team we played that wasn’t of that same caliber. But I think seeing how the game works at the highest level against those good teams, that will pay dividends.

“Good things don’t come right away — I know that — and I am willing to put in the time to make things good.”

Goff will remain in L.A. to train for the duration of the offseason, but he’s also spending time this weekend there at the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, talking to players about transitioning to the league and preparing for the combine. He and several other 2016 rookies are working with Panini Gridiron on their digital trading card app and signing their rookie cards prior to the game.

“We’re just down here signing some cards and talking to the guys, and it’s been a lot of fun,” Goff said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jared-...ssing-offense-under-sean-mcvay-185504499.html

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
OK

Time to get in the gym....no more talk...grab a nutritionist...grab a chef...time to start eating 6 meals a day...call up Tavon, Cooper, and Thomas...throw the rock around. Call McVay...get the playbook shipped pronto.

KOWALSKI

Rookie
so i guess it's time to say goodbye to kenny britt and hello to desean jackson?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I really like that he sees success AS A PROCESS.

That's probably his best attribute, even better than his arm talent or his footwork.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
OK

Time to get in the gym....no more talk...grab a nutritionist...grab a chef...time to start eating 6 meals a day...call up Tavon, Cooper, and Thomas...throw the rock around. Call McVay...get the playbook shipped pronto.
You'd make a great wife barking all those orders.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
He's going to be one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.

Easy, there.

How about we watch him win his first game before we start fitting him for his Yellow Jacket...

I mean, I'm with you that he has tremendous potential.

Thing is that there are literally thousands of things great and small that go into the actualization of that realization of his potential (and so much is beyond his control)

Is Joe Montana as good if Dwight Clark drops that pass in the end zone that starts their SB run?

Is Peyton Manning the same without one of the best route runners ever in Marvin Harrison and another potential HoFer in Reggie Wayne?

Is Troy Aikman the same without Michael Irvin as a target or playing behind one of the best offensive lines in NFL history?

Don't get me wrong. I'm totally behind the kid. And I hope upon hope that he's pegging the needle towards Peyton Manning versus Archie Manning.... a good QB on a losing team that we don't know how good he "could" have been because he never had the talent around him to really see.

A driver's only as good as the car he's put in. He can do amazing things with a lesser vehicle, but Mario Andretti was never gonna win the Indy 500 in an unmodified Ford Pinto.

I think we're putting the infrastructure in place to help him be a better QB. That's awesome. It was one of the necessary steps that HE recognizes is crucial to his success.

We also have a coherent SYSTEM that will be put in place for him and our offensive players to be successful. That was missing. It is crucial to our future success and now we have it.

NEXT, we have to put the players around him. We have some, but we need to fill in the blanks to maximize not only Goff's potential, but Gurley's and Austin's so that this offense can really produce at a Super Bowl level.

Where we're at right now?

Well, only a few months ago, we had a broken system, Goff wasn't being developed and our prospects for players coming to LA seemed dismal.

Now we have a coherent, productive, winning system, Goff will be developed WELL and or prospects for players coming to LA is already looking optimal.

We'll see how it plays out.

I'm with you brother. I'm down with the optimism (which is kinda rare for me).

That said... let's let the kid get a win before we start carving his bust. That's too much pressure and too much expectation. Remember, this path to success is a process.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I mean, I'm with you that he has tremendous potential.
Yeah, you know, the whole counting chickens thing. This has been a problem with the Rams, especially offensively, picking players with lots of potential only to yield minimal production. I'm sure that everyone hopes that Goff will become an elite QB, but seeing and believing are two very different things.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm just as excited about TA in this offense as I am Goff and Gurley.
I believe we will finally see Austins' dangerous talent utilized well.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I still want to see a revamped OL before calling predictions. If Goff is going to be successful throwing longer balls, he needs to get the ball out of his hands quicker to receivers capable of running tighter routes, AND he needs HUGE improvement from his blocking OL. Fix this, I will predict McGoff reaching those goals. jmo.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I still want to see a revamped OL before calling predictions. If Goff is going to be successful throwing longer balls, he needs to get the ball out of his hands quicker to receivers capable of running tighter routes, AND he needs HUGE improvement from his blocking OL. Fix this, I will predict McGoff reaching those goals. jmo.
That's not just your opinion.
I believe it to back fact.
There is no way this new coaching staff puts on game film and sees good oline play.

FRO

Legend
If you can't block you can't throw it down field. Period. Doesn't matter how great the scheme is if you can't block.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I don't get the fasination w/ DeSean Jackson. Yes, he's a better receiver than anyone we have. But wouldn't Tavon fill that position and then some w/ his running ability. And wouldn't that make Jackson a redundancy we wouldn't need. I'd like to see Garcon added and maybe another bigger receiver (maybe even Britt.....) to fill out our WR crew.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Unless McVay is gonna run with smurfs. It's been done before. And I don't really care if we win.

Just think a new QB needs bigger targets.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't get the fasination w/ DeSean Jackson. Yes, he's a better receiver than anyone we have. But wouldn't Tavon fill that position and then some w/ his running ability. And wouldn't that make Jackson a redundancy we wouldn't need. I'd like to see Garcon added and maybe another bigger receiver (maybe even Britt.....) to fill out our WR crew.
At this point, most of us assume TA will stay inside. If he can prove himself to be capable of playing the Z, then I agree.

FRO

Legend
Maybe being around a receiver of the same size/skill set as Jackson could be beneficial to Austin. The only thing holding Tavon back is himself. I don't buy into the notion it's all the coordinator's fault. He's the one still running sloppy routes.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Jackson is great player. With the ball in his hands he's a playmaker. The thing is he's a great WR and Austin isn't even close. We are wasting ton of money of Austin for very little production.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Okay, but what WR have we developed?

At some point it's either a total failure in scouting or coaching.

Seeing as Tavon has had breakout days and shown glimpses of what he could be, I tend to believe it's coaching. That also jibes with all the available evidence about our crappy offense.