Jared Goff says Rams can run Redskins' deep passing offense under Sean McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jackson is great player. With the ball in his hands he's a playmaker. The thing is he's a great WR and Austin isn't even close. We are wasting ton of money of Austin for very little production.
Agreed. Tavon makes one or two good catches/plays a game. We need a WR who we can rely on every play.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Jackson is great player. With the ball in his hands he's a playmaker. The thing is he's a great WR and Austin isn't even close. We are wasting ton of money of Austin for very little production.
But the problem is we are already paying TA. It will cost big bucks (8 mil a year....) for Jackson. So to get a redundant WR under that structure would take away from another area that needs attention (Oline or CB). Jackson is a great talent, but...... I can't see it working out under the current salary structure (Tavon) and what Jackson will demand. Let's see a different set of WRs w/ what's already in place.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
Okay, but what WR have we developed?

At some point it's either a total failure in scouting or coaching.

Seeing as Tavon has had breakout days and shown glimpses of what he could be, I tend to believe it's coaching. That also jibes with all the available evidence about our crappy offense.
Coaches were making Austin run lazy routes? That's 100% on the player to improve their craft. Britt had a 1,000 yard season with the same bad scheme and QB play.

FRO

Legend
Agreed. Tavon makes one or two good catches/plays a game. We need a WR who we can rely on every play.
That's my main problem with Tavon is consistency. Yeah every 4th or 5th game he'll make a big play, but he doesn't produce consistently.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
But the problem is we are already paying TA. It will cost big bucks (8 mil a year....) for Jackson. So to get a redundant WR under that structure would take away from another area that needs attention (Oline or CB). Jackson is a great talent, but...... I can't see it working out under the current salary structure (Tavon) and what Jackson will demand. Let's see a different set of WRs w/ what's already in place.
I don't understand how it's redundant? You are comparing a very bad WR to a great one. I know that we are paying Austin as if he was one of the top WRs in the NFL but he isn't. So we shouldn't do anything to help the offense out because of Austin's contract? We need to fix the oline and WRs ASAP and if it's through FA it's going to cost us a ton of money. No easy fix unfortunately

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Coaches were making Austin run lazy routes? That's 100% on the player to improve their craft. Britt had a 1,000 yard season with the same bad scheme and QB play.

Britt ran lazy routes, too

FRO

Legend
Britt ran lazy routes, too
He's also a lot bigger target and can use his size the shield defenders. Austin doesn't have that luxury. He has amazing God given talent of speed and insane quickness. He just hasn't put that talent to use.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's also a lot bigger target and can use his size the shield defenders. Austin doesn't have that luxury. He has amazing God given talent of speed and insane quickness. He just hasn't put that talent to use.

Are you sure you're not confusing bad routes with lazy routes?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't get the fasination w/ DeSean Jackson. Yes, he's a better receiver than anyone we have. But wouldn't Tavon fill that position and then some w/ his running ability. And wouldn't that make Jackson a redundancy we wouldn't need. I'd like to see Garcon added and maybe another bigger receiver (maybe even Britt.....) to fill out our WR crew.

Not necessarily. Washington used both DeSean and Jamison Crowder. I don't think Austin would play the DeSean role.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Aren't lazy routes bad routes?

not necessarily. a lazy route can be the correct route run sloppily.

a bad route can be the correct run really badly OR it can be an incorrectly run route (e.g. running the wrong option)

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Okay, but what WR have we developed?

At some point it's either a total failure in scouting or coaching.

Seeing as Tavon has had breakout days and shown glimpses of what he could be, I tend to believe it's coaching. That also jibes with all the available evidence about our crappy offense.

As much as we paid TA you would think he was Julio Jones.

Ram65

Legend
How about a lazy post. Jackson plays taller, is a great ball tracker with good hands, TA is not any of those.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Tavon and Jackson is not redundant at all. McVay's offense last year didn't have a WR over 6 feet. He plays to his WR skill set and puts them in the best position to succeed. If Tavon and DeSean played together Tavon would fill the Jamison Crowder role in the slot and DeSean would be the deep threat.

The Skins offense used a bunch of trips, and bunch sets so smaller guys like Crowder and Desean could play on the interior at the same time. It also gave those guys favorable matchups and free releases. DeSean is a proven deep threat and Tavon has never shown he can do that.

FRO

Legend
not necessarily. a lazy route can be the correct route run sloppily.

a bad route can be the correct run really badly OR it can be an incorrectly run route (e.g. running the wrong option)
Well I don't know who is running wrong routes so I won't place blame there. Rounding off your routes or not breaking to the QB are very lazy in my opinion and bad. That's where Tavon falls. Yes it's correctable, but he's played 4 seasons already. It's past time for him to correct them.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well I don't know who is running wrong routes so I won't place blame there. Rounding off your routes or not breaking to the QB are very lazy in my opinion and bad. That's where Tavon falls. Yes it's correctable, but he's played 4 seasons already. It's past time for him to correct them.

I don't disagree at all. However, because ALL of the WRs were guilty of the same flaws, I think it's much more of an issue of coaching than any character flaw of one WR.

It's one of the reasons why I think any retained WRs will perform significantly better.

Significantly better SCHEME.

Significantly better COACHING. That includes coaching that teaches and reinforces from OTAs fundamentals, discipline, scheme and positional skills.

I just see so much getting significantly better.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Again, that's bad route running. It doesn't mean it's laziness.

Plus, rounding off the break is correct in some circumstances.