Jared Goff 'lights out' in practice on Wednesday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Apparently that word doesn't mean what I thought it meant. What I meant was, it seemed (and text is hard so I apologize), that you were intentionally picking the parts of his quote that would paint am inaccurate picture of what he said and justify your anger. Disingenuous sounds right, but apparently isn't.

No, I think that is the word you wanted. It was late and I was tired so I didn't reply fully.

No, it is not disingenuous. I didn't intend it that way anyway. What I was pointing out is a reflection of a Fisher Mantra. He wants a good defense and running game and all his QB needs to be is a game manager who doesn't make glaring mistakes. Any Reid is the same way. It is old school football at its finest. Now Boras is new to the OC game and though some say he is promising, it seems that being under Fisher's wing has instilled him with the same old burnt out ideas that the head coach believes in.

That is the problem with the Boras hire. It bothered me from the start. We can recall that Fisher interviewed a few OC's that are well versed in the modern passing game. Dephillipo, Chudzinski, Turner, Shanahan, etc... Nobody accepted the job or were truly offered it. That part was always under wraps. The question is why. Did they not like what they were hearing from Jeffy? Did they think he would bridle them and not allow them to be creative and aggressive? Or did he not like what he heard from them? Did he decide he couldn't control them enough to play his game? So, he ends up with Boras. So, obviously the same questions arise. Why Boras? Dephillipo settled for a QB coaching gig after he was very successful with a bad Browns offense. Something smells Fishy. So now we here Boras repeating the same Fisher speak. It makes it seem like Boras is being more groomed by the head coach and then can lead to the conclusion of why he was named OC in the first place.

I don't like it. Maybe that is the problem here. I don't like Fisher's offensive preferences. I wanted Chud, or DePhillipo. I want a modern offense. I don't want to sit on a 10 point lead in the beginning of the freaking fourth quarter anymore!. I had hopes that Boras and Groh were only being limited by their QBs. Now I am not so sure.

A55VA6

Legend
Bradford was lights out in practice because he's a top tier thrower. That didn't always carry over to games because Bradford didn't adapt well to pressure. Goff does. You can be skeptical if you want. But this kid is going to be a stud.
This! 100% agree.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
No, I think that is the word you wanted. It was late and I was tired so I didn't reply fully.

No, it is not disingenuous. I didn't intend it that way anyway. What I was pointing out is a reflection of a Fisher Mantra. He wants a good defense and running game and all his QB needs to be is a game manager who doesn't make glaring mistakes. Any Reid is the same way. It is old school football at its finest. Now Boras is new to the OC game and though some say he is promising, it seems that being under Fisher's wing has instilled him with the same old burnt out ideas that the head coach believes in.

That is the problem with the Boras hire. It bothered me from the start. We can recall that Fisher interviewed a few OC's that are well versed in the modern passing game. Dephillipo, Chudzinski, Turner, Shanahan, etc... Nobody accepted the job or were truly offered it. That part was always under wraps. The question is why. Did they not like what they were hearing from Jeffy? Did they think he would bridle them and not allow them to be creative and aggressive? Or did he not like what he heard from them? Did he decide he couldn't control them enough to play his game? So, he ends up with Boras. So, obviously the same questions arise. Why Boras? Dephillipo settled for a QB coaching gig after he was very successful with a bad Browns offense. Something smells Fishy. So now we here Boras repeating the same Fisher speak. It makes it seem like Boras is being more groomed by the head coach and then can lead to the conclusion of why he was named OC in the first place.

I don't like it. Maybe that is the problem here. I don't like Fisher's offensive preferences. I wanted Chud, or DePhillipo. I want a modern offense. I don't want to sit on a 10 point lead in the beginning of the freaking fourth quarter anymore!. I had hopes that Boras and Groh were only being limited by their QBs. Now I am not so sure.

Will I certainly feel that. I guess I took the statement that he knows Goff will make plays down field for them a little more hopefully than you did. I don't really believe in sitting on a lead. I could understand scaling back more risky plays if the game was close, but never just trying to run the clock out. Of course, that's my uneducated opinion.

I think Boras may have been afraid to fail in his first year and tried to play a conservative game to "increase" his chance of winning. It's only made easier by the advice he's getting, likely, from Fisher. Too bad it's not working. Maybe he'll grow into it, out of it or whatever, if they keep him around.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hate the gold pants LOL

These too?
m_55ce698d54f0a83f020004a6.jpg

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
You're entitled to that opinion, but I don't agree. Some guys handle pressure better than others. Some guys feel the rush better than others. Some guys move within the pocket better than others. Some guys throw more accurately when forced off their spot than others.

For example, Drew Brees is a guy who has always been phenomenal at moving in the pocket, finding throwing lanes, and making accurate throws while under pressure.

Simply put, Sam was not. Doesn't mean Sam was a bad QB. It just means that the Rams did a poor job of playing to Sam's strengths. If you put Sam behind Dallas's OL, he'd look incredible.

Goff is a different breed. He's not quite the same caliber of thrower as Sam, but he's not far off. However, Goff's instincts, movement, and poise in the pocket are on an entirely different level from Sam. IMO, those attributes are what will make Goff a special QB at this level. There just aren't a lot of guys who can do what Goff can do in the pocket.

The guys who can are typically elite QBs. Think about all the guys who you would say have elite pocket presence, movement, and poise. They're guys like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, etc.

Goff will spend a long career frustrating NFL pass rushers. They hate QBs like Goff. He's a sudden mover with a great feel for pressure and the ability to get the ball out of his hands at any point in time. That drives pass rushers nuts.
Man I hope you are right about him. I just can't let myself go there until I start to see it.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
JRRY is right about Sam's lack of pocket awareness but he also coupled that with an extremely conservative approach and lack of aggression. Jared is a different player in the pocket and does have a great deep ball. Sam's slightly better arm strength does him little good with his conservative head. Jared just needs to get really comfortable with the terminology once he does his overthrows, misfires and hesitations will greatly decrease after that he will shine.

NOTE TO BORAS; " Open up the Damn Play Book, and Show some Balls!!!
You where in the USMC, act like it! Be creative Do the unexpected!!
Unfortunately Dave I think Boras has already used "BOTH" pages of the playbook.

fearsomefour

Legend
You're entitled to that opinion, but I don't agree. Some guys handle pressure better than others. Some guys feel the rush better than others. Some guys move within the pocket better than others. Some guys throw more accurately when forced off their spot than others.

For example, Drew Brees is a guy who has always been phenomenal at moving in the pocket, finding throwing lanes, and making accurate throws while under pressure.

Simply put, Sam was not. Doesn't mean Sam was a bad QB. It just means that the Rams did a poor job of playing to Sam's strengths. If you put Sam behind Dallas's OL, he'd look incredible.

Goff is a different breed. He's not quite the same caliber of thrower as Sam, but he's not far off. However, Goff's instincts, movement, and poise in the pocket are on an entirely different level from Sam. IMO, those attributes are what will make Goff a special QB at this level. There just aren't a lot of guys who can do what Goff can do in the pocket.

The guys who can are typically elite QBs. Think about all the guys who you would say have elite pocket presence, movement, and poise. They're guys like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, etc.

Goff will spend a long career frustrating NFL pass rushers. They hate QBs like Goff. He's a sudden mover with a great feel for pressure and the ability to get the ball out of his hands at any point in time. That drives pass rushers nuts.
Very good post.
Not chance that most really excellent pocket passers were not great runners. Good presence, ability to move and slide and a quick release....so much more valuable than a guy who can occasionally break a 30 yard run.
I disagree about Brady somewhat. He moves well and creates time in the pocket and all the rest but he has trouble with a passrush. Always has.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Very good post.
Not chance that most really excellent pocket passers were not great runners. Good presence, ability to move and slide and a quick release....so much more valuable than a guy who can occasionally break a 30 yard run.
I disagree about Brady somewhat. He moves well and creates time in the pocket and all the rest but he has trouble with a passrush. Always has.

At what point ?? How can he be one & not the other ?? He may be the best there ever was ?? He is flat out slow, but by all means finds a way to beat defenses &!there pass rushes.

Denver has a great pass rush & NE Pats had a very poor O'line.He might not move as fast as most ,but he gets away from a lot of pressure in most cases.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
JRRY is right about Sam's lack of pocket awareness but he also coupled that with an extremely conservative approach and lack of aggression. Jared is a different player in the pocket and does have a great deep ball. Sam's slightly better arm strength does him little good with his conservative head. Jared just needs to get really comfortable with the terminology once he does his overthrows, misfires and hesitations will greatly decrease after that he will shine.

Unfortunately Dave I think Boras has already used "BOTH" pages of the playbook.

If you listen to his press conferences he says he takes plays from his QB's

--What you have to remember was Jared Goff was coming into his first game as a pro. Bora's scripts his first 16 plays ..

The Rams were up & there was rain.The dolphins had O'Lineman out & the offense looked like crap.Miami's announcers were talking how big a lead the 10 points was against The Rams defense.
I think you see a different game plan going in & he adjusts as the game dictates .

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh come on @rdlkgliders... Boras has a 3rd page on the back of the second page...

He's finally going to use it against the Saints. New Orleans won't know what hit them.

4908130.gif

no way is that a page out boras's play book those routes on the pass plays are far too deep

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
If you listen to his press conferences he says he takes plays from his QB's

--What you have to remember was Jared Goff was coming into his first game as a pro. Bora's scripts his first 16 plays ..

The Rams were up & there was rain.The dolphins had O'Lineman out & the offense looked like crap.Miami's announcers were talking how big a lead the 10 points was against The Rams defense.
I think you see a different game plan going in & he adjusts as the game dictates .
Yes, He takes into consideration plays his QB's like that are out of his play list, Nearly all NFL teams script their first 16 plays but that isn't intended to get you deep into the 3rd quarter like it does us:rolllaugh:

fearsomefour

Legend
At what point ?? How can he be one & not the other ?? He may be the best there ever was ?? He is flat out slow, but by all means finds a way to beat defenses &!there pass rushes.

Denver has a great pass rush & NE Pats had a very poor O'line.He might not move as fast as most ,but he gets away from a lot of pressure in most cases.
When he has bad games it is almost always when teams can get pressure on him without blitzing a lot. Like most great pocket passers he will often destroy the blitz. The blitz creates open receivers. A smart, vet QB who can read presnap will more often than not beat the blitz.
Brady struggles historically when he gets consistent pressure, more so if it comes without a blitz. IE the Giants SB wins.