Jared Goff 'lights out' in practice on Wednesday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wasn't Bradford always "lights out" too in practice? Color me skeptical.

Bradford was lights out in practice because he's a top tier thrower. That didn't always carry over to games because Bradford didn't adapt well to pressure. Goff does. You can be skeptical if you want. But this kid is going to be a stud.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Boras' quote doesn't sound encouraging. "He'll manage the game for us. Because that is what quarterbacks do"

No, some QBs lead the team to gutsy wins with their precise passing and great grasp for the game. Drew Bree's, Russell Wilson, Tom Brady,etc,.... lead their teams to wins. Instead Boras is dreaming about Goff becoming Alex Smith.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wasn't Bradford always "lights out" too in practice? Color me skeptical.
Yeah, and Bradford was the best QB we've had talent wise since Warner. We put a shit team around him and he can't handle pressure. Goff excels in those situation.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, and Bradford was the best QB we've had talent wise since Warner. We put a crap team around him and he can't handle pressure. Goff excels in those situation.
I dont get the bradford couldnt handle pressure. He did very good when blitzed and under pressure the same way he is doing now for Minnesota in those situations. Now being healthy I completely agree.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont get the bradford couldnt handle pressure. He did very good when blitzed and under pressure the same way he is doing now for Minnesota in those situations. Now being healthy I completely agree.

Blitzing Bradford wasn't the issue. It was pressuring and hitting him. He was too easily rattled. When teams consistently forced him off his spot, it affected him mentally. His accuracy would regress, and he'd turn into a dump off machine.

ram007

Starter
They throw deep ball at Rams practice? Even they seem pleasantly surprised it may work in an NFL game. wow

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Boras' quote doesn't sound encouraging. "He'll manage the game for us. Because that is what quarterbacks do"

No, some QBs lead the team to gutsy wins with their precise passing and great grasp for the game. Drew Bree's, Russell Wilson, Tom Brady,etc,.... lead their teams to wins. Instead Boras is dreaming about Goff becoming Alex Smith.

Exactly ... and more anecdotal evidence for why our offense is stuck in neutral, if not reverse.

Aim low, Boras ... smh

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

Singling out that sentence is a little disingenuous don't you think? I mean, he immediately followed it by saying, "But, then he's going to be able to make some plays down the field, and we're very confident in this ability to do that." Almost like he expects him to both manage a game and make spectacular plays. Instead of a guy that can't manage a game but pulls out enough wow plays to possibly win a few. I'm thinking of Tim Tebow with his 50% accuracy, all for big plays down field. He didn't manage the game at all. I think Boras expects Goff to keep us in a position to win (manage the game) and lead us to wins with his transcendent arm talent. I don't know, but I'm certainly not going to pick and choose quotes to bias my opinion unnecessarily.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Singling out that sentence is a little disingenuous don't you think? I mean, he immediately followed it by saying, "But, then he's going to be able to make some plays down the field, and we're very confident in this ability to do that." Almost like he expects him to both manage a game and make spectacular plays. Instead of a guy that can't manage a game but pulls out enough wow plays to possibly win a few. I'm thinking of Tim Tebow with his 50% accuracy, all for big plays down field. He didn't manage the game at all. I think Boras expects Goff to keep us in a position to win (manage the game) and lead us to wins with his transcendent arm talent. I don't know, but I'm certainly not going to pick and choose quotes to bias my opinion unnecessarily.

Disingenuous? Are you serious?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's better than Goff lookin like crap in practice right? I get that everyone's bummed about our record, but there's a chance this kid will get it quickly and help us out. And if the defense can keep scores down who knows what'll happen.

Good news to my ears, either way. We'll see how he grows this week, and tbh that's all I've been asking to see. Excited to see what we've got in New Orleans.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
While obviously I prefer to hear he's "lights out" as opposed to "he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo," I just know that come Sunday we'll be watching this "lights out" QB being handcuffed by play calling again.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Blitzing Bradford wasn't the issue. It was pressuring and hitting him. He was too easily rattled. When teams consistently forced him off his spot, it affected him mentally. His accuracy would regress, and he'd turn into a dump off machine.

Well hopefully this oline don't do that to Goff like Bradfords did cause i can guarantee we will see the same out of Goff if it does

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well hopefully this oline don't do that to Goff like Bradfords did cause i can guarantee we will see the same out of Goff if it does

You're entitled to that opinion, but I don't agree. Some guys handle pressure better than others. Some guys feel the rush better than others. Some guys move within the pocket better than others. Some guys throw more accurately when forced off their spot than others.

For example, Drew Brees is a guy who has always been phenomenal at moving in the pocket, finding throwing lanes, and making accurate throws while under pressure.

Simply put, Sam was not. Doesn't mean Sam was a bad QB. It just means that the Rams did a poor job of playing to Sam's strengths. If you put Sam behind Dallas's OL, he'd look incredible.

Goff is a different breed. He's not quite the same caliber of thrower as Sam, but he's not far off. However, Goff's instincts, movement, and poise in the pocket are on an entirely different level from Sam. IMO, those attributes are what will make Goff a special QB at this level. There just aren't a lot of guys who can do what Goff can do in the pocket.

The guys who can are typically elite QBs. Think about all the guys who you would say have elite pocket presence, movement, and poise. They're guys like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, etc.

Goff will spend a long career frustrating NFL pass rushers. They hate QBs like Goff. He's a sudden mover with a great feel for pressure and the ability to get the ball out of his hands at any point in time. That drives pass rushers nuts.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Exactly ... and more anecdotal evidence for why our offense is stuck in neutral, if not reverse.

Aim low, Boras ... smh
Not fair in my view to single out that sentence. Goff needed to learn a lot of stuff to run the system. A qb does have to be able to "manage the game" to do anything, learning the pro system was what delayed Goff starting (although possibly he was held out for too long.)

It's completely fair to criticize Boras for the offense and the play calling -- we'll see if they let Goff throw the ball downfield-- but I don't think this phrase had anything to do with what kind of game they may call.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I am watching all of Bradford's throws with the Vikings; and still there are about 5-6 throws a game he ignores the pass rush and gets sacked or 'surprised' or whatever. He is the same guy---lacks pocket awareness and feet. HOnestly, I have never seen a quarterback with Sam's talent stay the same like he has. I think he is no better now than he was in 2012. Now, of course he has professional WRs and a great TE, which he didn't have in 2012.....but really, his mental approach is the EXACT same--even down to throwing 4 yard passes on 3rd and 9....

Sam has the best arm in the NFL outside of Rogers (accuracy and power)

Goff has more tangibles now than Sam has after 5 1/2 years. Goff throws a weak ball in the rain sometimes, but he will be a player next year!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Have we had those silly AT&T jersey patches all year? Looks like a bar coaster.

IMG_0822_zpsfl6iezcb.jpeg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That interview also confirms what we thought all along; the Rams were confident in that 10pt lead.

A little more aggression on some of those drives that we started with good field position... and that would have given us the cushion we needed to absorb a few mistakes.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That interview also confirms what we thought all along; the Rams were confident in that 10pt lead.

A little more aggression on some of those drives that we started with good field position... and that would have given us the cushion we needed to absorb a few mistakes.

Yes, they needed first downs to keep the chains moving and eat up clock. Runing on three plays won't get that done. If the OLine was run blocking maybe it would l d but they needed a long slow drive to eat up clock. Being comfortable with a ten point lead had loss written all over it.