Jared Goff it is time take the Offense on your back!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

it's funny how the narrative for goff is different than the other qbs.

other qbs - yeah he had problems during the game but man that guy is clutch when it matters at the end of the game.

goff - yeah he made a couple of throws at the end there but this just proves how bad he is and he is holding the team back.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Every quarterback in the league is overpaid IMHO.

Artificially generated or not, demand for quarterbacks is greater than supply and the salary cap creates a situation that pushes their cost beyond their relative value to the team (as a relative percentage of money available to spend).

Though it may not seem so now, in the future Goff's contract will be a relatively positive value to the team's future, assuming he can remain healthy, hence the media types are clawing for any narrative that supports the Rams trading Goff to their favorite team :)

Suggesting that he should even attempt to carry the team on his back is the greatest recipe for failure aside from injury - which is obviously less predictable. Have we learned nothing from the Martz-Warner era of decline?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Bottom line for me is will Goff pick up where he left off with the late drive in 4th quarter. Will the OL do the same?

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After the Super Bowl, I wrote "this is Goff's team now". At the time, I thought Gurley might be done and, for the record, I am Gurley's biggest fan. But the poor guy missed the biggest games of his career (basically), and that was after he already missed a lot of time at the end of the regular season. I had hoped that the Rams were just saving him for the Super Bowl, but he barely got the ball then either.

The problem was that this was Todd Gurley's team. And you don't lose the two-time offensive player-of-the-year and expect the same results! Gurley was the workhorse who always delivered a touchdown or a first down when needed, running or receiving. And now, since Gurley is obviously "not the same", the team is in need of another go-to guy. I was hoping it would be Goff but, as many of you have mentioned, he has really not grown into that role yet. I don't like getting into the "is he elite or not" arguments, simply because Goff is still too young to decide. Look at Russell Wilson... he is having the best year of his career... at 31 years old!

Let's give Goff a few more years before we label him a boom or bust. For now... everyone knows he can play at a high level. Can he carry a team? Get back to me in a couple of years.

As for the Chicago game, it was a stinker until the end. I'm not sure this team is a playoff team until they find another "elite" running back. And, as much as I like Gurley, I believe the Rams are trying to prolong his career. They stripped him of his Captain's title, they are keeping him on a pitch count, and I don't think he is happy about anything right now.. Like it or not, that is what I believe is going on.

I wish they'd give Henderson a try at 20-25 carries in a game. Running back is the easiest position to learn, and I think the kid is a stud. Maybe he and the new, revamped O-line can grow together over the rest of the season. Henderson is young, fast, and powerful...he just needs a chance. Gurley could spell him when needed and still get his carries. And speaking of the O-line, let's not start sucking each other off just yet. While I like the results of the game, the coaching staff obviously tried to prevent Goff from getting killed. it was also the first time they gave Gurley some carries (and of course he delivered!).

If the Rams can find a new running game, Goff will improve exponentially. Just like the last 2 years. Hopefully, one day, he will "put the Rams on his back"!

Go Rams!

Lifetime Ram fan, since 1970

Ellard80

Legend

it's funny how the narrative for goff is different than the other qbs.

other qbs - yeah he had problems during the game but man that guy is clutch when it matters at the end of the game.

goff - yeah he made a couple of throws at the end there but this just proves how bad he is and he is holding the team back.

Ehhh bro - all QB's get the spotlight. Goff actually is under the radar in most places.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You said his narrative was different than other QB's. Like people are harder on him.

Yes, so much more. Did you see some of the headlines after the game? You'd think he threw 5 interceptions and the rams lost in embarrassing fashion.

Ellard80

Legend
Yes, so much more. Did you see some of the headlines after the game? You'd think he threw 5 interceptions and the rams lost in embarrassing fashion.

I didn't see any headlines really.. only some obscure website articles that someone posted here.

I watch nfl network a lot... and I'm not sure in 3 months I've ever heard them talk about Goff - good or bad.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't see any headlines really.. only some obscure website articles that someone posted here.

I watch nfl network a lot... and I'm not sure in 3 months I've ever heard them talk about Goff - good or bad.

Fair enough.

I've learnt not to read any of those articles anyway. Still irritating when I see the headline.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Today for the Bears game I suggest the Rams run, run and the run it again from the very first play. Different kinds of run plays is fine. Even an occasional instant wide receiver screen pass. But run it and watch what happens and don't give up early.

If it was my decision, I would literally run the ball the first 10 plays in a row from scrimmage (a well scripted variety of different runs) NO MATTER how much yardage we gain from those 10 runs. JUST to be able to see what happens, and to screw with the minds of the Bears defense.

I feel we need to be very run heavy today EVEN IF our o-line is not very good. It has to be tried. We have to be different than our usual selves.
BriansRams for OC

Great call buddy

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2863190-rams-are-in-the-playoff-hunt-but-jared-goff-is-holding-them-back-from-greatness

Rams Are in the Playoff Hunt, but Jared Goff Is Holding Them Back from Greatness
Brad Gagnon

At 6-4 following a 17-7 Sunday Night Football victory over the Chicago Bears, the Los Angeles Rams somehow remain in the NFC playoff picture. But unlike in 2018, the Rams don't look, feel, smell, sound or taste like a true contender.

And that's because they have a regressing liability at the sport's most important position.

Jared Goff, who entered Sunday as the NFL's sixth-lowest-rated passer, completed just 11 passes against the Bears. Under his tutelage, the Rams offense managed just 13 first downs, three third-down conversions and 17 points in a dud game that was closer than it looked.

Woeful Chicago failed to make the Rams pay for two first-quarter turnovers, the Bears failed to score on four of their five drives that crossed the Los Angeles 40-yard line, and the Rams couldn't pull away from a struggling opponent until scoring an insurance touchdown late in the fourth quarter.

While a win's a win, this served as a reminder that it isn't the Rams' year. Not with Goff, who has completed just 57 percent of his passes in his last six games.

Goff was a Pro Bowler last season, and the Rams averaged an NFC-high 32.9 points per game. But a strong defense led by reigning Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald, a stellar offensive line led by several highly accomplished veterans and a top-notch running game led by 2018 touchdown leader Todd Gurley masked a lot of the 2016 top pick's flaws.

Now, with that line in shambles as a result of departures and injuries and Gurley no longer as productive coming off a knee injury, Goff's glaring limitations have been exposed. He hasn't thrown a touchdown pass since Week 8, and he's lucky to have just three interceptions the last two weeks.

The Rams scored a total of 29 points in those two games. That's a mark they reached in 13 of their 16 games in 2018. Their strong offensive performances this year have generally come against weak and/or vulnerable opponents. And while that was also the case to an extent last season—they scored just six points in Chicago, 23 in Denver and 23 at home against Philadelphia in 2018—the trend has become more extreme in 2019.

In three games this season against opponents who rank in the top five in the league at Football Outsiders in defense-adjusted value over average (DVOA), Goff has zero touchdown passes, a completion percentage of 55.4 and a passer rating of 58.0. The Rams have averaged just 12 points in those three affairs.

That doesn't bode well for his or his team's chances next week against the red-hot Baltimore Ravens and their surging, opportunistic defense, and they also have to travel to San Francisco in December.

With a minuscule margin for error in a loaded NFC playoff race, those dynamics could leave the reigning conference champions on the sideline come January.

LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 17: Quarterback Jared Goff #16 of the Los Angeles Rams leaves the field after the game against the Chicago Bears at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on November 17, 2019 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Jayne Kamin-Oncea/G

Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images
If Goff and Co. hadn't bullied weak opponents like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Atlanta Falcons and Cincinnati Bengals in September and October, the numbers would be a lot uglier. But even still, Goff's broad backslide dating back to December is eye-opening.

He entered that month last season with a 26-to-6 touchdown-to-interception ratio, a completion percentage of 67.7 and a passer rating of 113.5. In 15 starts since then, he's thrown 17 touchdown passes to 16 interceptions, completed 59.9 percent of his throws, and his passer rating is 79.7.

Over the course of what essentially amounts to a full season, he's been one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL. He's a wildly inconsistent and unreliable deep passer who is comically inaccurate under pressure, and he had the league's worst qualified bad throw rate through 10 weeks.

Even with Gurley putting together easily his best game of the season, it was more of the same from Goff on Sunday night. He did connect on a couple of deep passes, but he was ineffective under limited pressure, locked on to his first reads far too often, missed several no-excuse throws, and he should have been picked off at least twice.

It's a good thing the Rams defense has gotten its act together after a rough start to the year. Donald is on a tear (seven sacks in his last five games), and that unit has surrendered just 11.0 points per game since Week 7.

But it now feels inevitable that Goff will spoil it all for that defense, even if that didn't happen on this particular night. And that's a shame, as is the fact that the Rams are all-in on Goff. The window is closing on a team in win-now mode that will lack both salary-cap space and draft capital in the early part of the impending new decade.

They're married to Goff and his new $134 million contract, but every sense indicates that extension was a mistake. The Rams remain a contender despite their franchise quarterback, and that's not a recipe for success in this day and age.

So tired of this.

I don’t even have the energy to be sarcastic.

Why is it so damn hard to acknowledge that McVay struggled to adapt to the 6-1 that actually started in Detroit? He had more success with a cohesive, veteran OL and a healthier Gurley, but still had issues.

This year without that level of OL play and Gurley on a pitch count preventing him from getting into a rhythm coupled with the league’s DCs getting better at accounting for the variations of that 11 personnel group and it’s all accounted for.

Goff is fine. He’s struggling like the rest of the Offense, but the biggest most humbling part of this is watching McVay deal with the reality of constant change in the NFL.

Ultimately I think McVay will come out of this a much better coach.

If last season was the growth spurt, this season is the growing pains.

We may just end up not only with a young, cheap potentially dominant OL, but also a HC who is falling in love with the TE again and realizing that the Reed type isn’t the only way to leverage the TE position.

But yeah, all this sturm und drang about Goff can only exist in a contextless vacuum. With context, with a full understanding of all the factors that have led to these suboptimal outcomes, there is no room for bumper sticker analysis. It’s counterproductive and only sews the seeds of discontent.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Goff still needs to stop holding the ball down near his backside. It's like a treat and he's teasing a dog with it.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
Goff makes some big time throws, especially some nice deep accuracy balls. We had a ton of great plays where our receivers weren't catching them or they got called back for penalties. Goff definitely makes some bonehead throws where I'm wondering WTF, but also makes some great throws. The problem is he's sooooo inconsistent. I think if the line gives him time like this past game, he'll turn it around or at least take away the biggest excuse

RamWoodie

Legend
Something's been wrong since the 49er game by me...but Sunday...in the 4th qtr, you could visibly see the change in Goff. HE WAS MONEY!

That's why I say it was something between Goff and McVay. I don't know what it was... but you could see in his drop backs that he was the Goff of 2018...and it showed.

I know alot of us would like to know!!!

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
Goff makes some big time throws, especially some nice deep accuracy balls. We had a ton of great plays where our receivers weren't catching them or they got called back for penalties. Goff definitely makes some bonehead throws where I'm wondering WTF, but also makes some great throws. The problem is he's sooooo inconsistent. I think if the line gives him time like this past game, he'll turn it around or at least take away the biggest excuse

I think his mechanics are off a bit, and his mental clock is off kilter because he's been feeling too much pressure. That INT on the throw to Reynolds, was a completion and first down if he threw it right when Reynolds came out of his break.

Goff's confidence may be down a notch or two, but my gut tells me he will recover.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think Goff needs the game to slow down for a him a bit. I know he's been in the league for 5 years now but think about his last two seasons. Teams were trying to figure out McVays scheme and before they did WR's were running so open it made playing QB look easy. Now that teams have adjusted to McVays scheme Goff is actually having to read defenses and make better decisions which is him making decisions on the fly. Reading defenses takes time and the last two seasons I think McVays scheme made it easy on him before the league caught up. I'm going to give him until the middle of next season to dramatically improve on his decision making. He doesn't have to put up goddy numbes he just needs to play better compliment football and stop with the dumb turnovers.

Ram65

Legend
I think Goff's WRs aren't getting open as much and as fast as in the past. Combine that with less time to throw and he doesn't look the same. He could be a little confused on coverage as well. McVay could help with some shorter routes and like against the Bears a nice dose of Gurley.