Jared Goff gets absolutely no respect

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Under McVay, he has about 27 games of good QB play (the first 27), and then 24 games of mediocre QB play (the last 24). This even discounts the first 7 games under Fisher.

He's getting about what he deserves right now in terms of respect.
This post lacks substance. Jared has had some great games since the Bears debacle(assuming that’s the starting point of mediocre games). He dragged us through that NFC championship game. His last 5 games after the Ravens shitfest: 1643(328 ypg) 11 TDs 4 INTs and a QB rating of 98.2

Over an entire season that’s 5248 yards 35 TDs 12 INTs. He was clearly playing much better at the end of the year. Not too much mention games against the Saints, Seahawks, Falcons and Bengals were all good games.

For a QB who’s been to the Super Bowl, has had a winning record every year he’s started and been voted to two pro bowls, he definitely gets shit on more then he should.

I don’t know if fans understand the grueling nature of a 19 game season. It’s no surprise that teams who lose the Super Bowl don’t normally bounce back with another great year. It’s exhausting. After the game you have one month until free agency. That’s barely enough time to relax and take time off for guys who will be switching teams.

Be ready for Goff and the Rams to have another great year in 2020.

oldnotdead

Legend
Havenstein doesn't get a pass because he doesn't deserve one. Anyone watching his play saw it was subpar. He was overmatched and his weakness and the corresponding weakness of Blythe were blatantly exploited. The difference between 2018 and 2019 was the level of competition during the regular season. The success in 2018 meant the Rams schedule got tougher in 2019. No Rob and Austin don't get passes because their play was consistently bad....BAD.

But this team has a core of elite talent on both sides of the ball. Improved coaching to enable that talent to thrive is what is needed. I'm not talking McVay, because I don't see the problem there. But on the assistant and coordinator level, there is definitely a need for them to step up. When execution and technique are poor that is the hallmark of poor coaching particularly at the positional and coordinator level. There were times....too many in fact...that the play design and call looked to be correct, but poor execution brought on by poor player technique simply sabotaged the play form the snap.

Just go back and look at Merlin's breakdowns. What he says about poor execution and technique is entirely correct. So why is that? Poor coaching at the positional and coordinator level that's why. If the new hires can resolve that issue this team can be very very good indeed.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This post lacks substance. Jared has had some great games since the Bears debacle(assuming that’s the starting point of mediocre games). He dragged us through that NFC championship game. His last 5 games after the Ravens shitfest: 1643(328 ypg) 11 TDs 4 INTs and a QB rating of 98.2

Over an entire season that’s 5248 yards 35 TDs 12 INTs. He was clearly playing much better at the end of the year. Not too much mention games against the Saints, Seahawks, Falcons and Bengals were all good games.

For a QB who’s been to the Super Bowl, has had a winning record every year he’s started and been voted to two pro bowls, he definitely gets shit on more then he should.

I don’t know if fans understand the grueling nature of a 19 game season. It’s no surprise that teams who lose the Super Bowl don’t normally bounce back with another great year. It’s exhausting. After the game you have one month until free agency. That’s barely enough time to relax and take time off for guys who will be switching teams.

you're never going to convince him. his mind is made up.

the way goff played after a shaky start against the saints in the nfc championship game was one of the great qb displays we've seen. i've never heard noise like that through the tv ever, it was something else. and it never stopped from the end of one play to the next snap. for the rams offense to function the way it did that day was amazing and jared deserves a ton of props for his play in that game. which he didn't get because the media was having a field day with the non call, it was literally all they talked about for the two weeks leading up to the superbowl. any other qb and they would have been drooling about how he overcame everything to lead the team to victory.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Look it's plain and simple, Jared Goff needs to cut down on his mistakes and for whatever reason, his mistakes, seem to lead to touchdowns for the opposition.

I do believe the addition of Kevin O'Connell will help as I believe Shane Waldron is on his way to LSU, which would then make O'Connell the OC/QB Coach and I believe that will aid Goff. Also Goff has committed to a workout regime to increase his strength, so I expect a better Jared Goff in 2020 and hopefully, if he does make a mistake, it does not lead to a pic 6.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Two things: first, the defenses you cited were all pretty bad except for the Saints, who are/were mediocre.

In the first 27 that I'm saying were good games - they weren't all good. So if you're going to pick out good games in the past 24 we have to also pick out bad in the first 27. I'm looking forward to what he does next year and think he could be a darkhorse MVP candidate - but it's fine to call a spade, a spade. I've always despised giving a QB credit for a winning record, and any Rams fan currently crapping on Jimmy G is a bit hypocritical in this respect - look at his record.

I'm hopeful that Goff will turn into a great QB, but he's not there yet. The game ending INT he threw to the Redskins in his 2nd game under McVay is similar to throws he made all season long this year - the Bengals dropped multiple INTs, so it's interesting citing that as a "good" game for Goff.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Rams finish last in NFC west without Goff. He made mistakes and no he's not the best QB in the league but there were games he kept us in it with a shit OL and a next to non existant run game. Not to mention the games the Defense decided not to show up. We had a winning record because Goff. You could also argue Mcvay being stubborn with the 11 personnel and getting away from the run hurt Jared. Our other option was Bortles and no way would he have got us to 9-7 behind that line. Nobody here is wrong and everyone has the right to like or dislike Jared's play and that's fine but this wasn't just a down year for our QB, but for the team as a whole. This year is going benefit Goff in the future. Hes young and if he's still struggling like this a couple years from now with a good OL and run game then it might time to make a change. Of course this is just my opinion.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yes, although I still have some doubts about him having that "it" factor,
I think this is a fair analysis.
EDIT: Having that "it factor" meaning elite.

What isn't fair or even honest is claiming he was good for twenty something games...and then mediocre for the next twenty something games. That type of analysis is myopic group think.

Fact is the entire offense began to slip or regress, get figured out or whatever word you want to use late in 2018 and right out of the gate in '19.

The blocking, the run game, the playcalling, the stale scheme(IMO the biggest problem) and yes...Goff too.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
the Bengals dropped multiple INTs, so it's interesting citing that as a "good" game for Goff.

Well, then they weren’t INTs and can’t be hung on the QB....almost don’t get it.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock

Actually, that same game and the 323 yards and 2 TDs and 31 points against the eventual NFC Champs, made me more optimistic that Goff and McVay were getting their act together.

I‘ve already let the INT go.

I’m less inclined to call the first post cited as valid...its painting with a very broad brush, IMO. But, exaggeration rules on forums.

MachS

Hall of Fame

In order to win now days with a non-athletic pocket passer, the QB has to be able to decipher defensive looks pre-snap and post-snap with his eyes, then make accurate throws on time. Does Goff do this enough? Do you honestly think he reads defenses, goes through progressions, and makes decisions good enough for a 4th yr QB who's had an offensive guru as a head coach for 3 seasons?

To me its pretty obvious he needs to improve there, but it's his natural arm talent which gets us all excited. When things are perfect around him its tough to find a QB who throws a more beautiful ball. But how many times in his career has he evaded pressure in the pocket and made a big throw down field? I think you could count those instances on 1-2 hands, that's not what he does. So if that's the case he HAS to win pre-snap. He HAS to decipher post-snap better than he is now. Those are the facets of the QB position you must be elite in, if you want to be a great pocket-passer. And you CANT miss WIDE OPEN throws when they're there. A pocket passer cant afford to miss those plays and Goff missed 8-10 wide open TDs this season when there was no pressure on him.

McVay deserves his share of the blame for the Noteboom, Allen, and Havenstein debacle, they were absolutely horrendous. But when the plays WERE there to be made, Goff didn't make enough of them so I cant blame those on the o-line. And after the Super Bowl he had, to come back from that game and have his worst season is more than disappointing.

With Gurley no longer the same back, the o-line needing a complete overhaul, and the defensive holes we have/will have... how will we have enough money with the Cooks and Gurley contracts to field a better team around Goff than we had the last two years?? With some of our big contracts I dont see how we build a better o-line for Goff, while keeping the integrity of the defense intact. And what if Noteboom and Allen both turn out to be busts? Hard to envision them being very good players after last year's showing

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm keeping my shirt on with this topic.

InGoffWeTrust_large.jpg

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
1999, UK bookmakers had odds of 200/1 for the Rams to win the Super Bowl.
I was a bookie for 4.5 years a couple of years ago.
It's very strategic and the bookies would have made a killing that year.

So, put a couple of notes on Goff.
He's proven capable and i won't hold the past 14 months against him.
He's got his haters, but has masses of potential.

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
Many Rams fans aren't sold on Goff. I ain't one of them. He will perform at top level next season. He will lead the Rams to the Super Bowl next season and win the game, too.

Ellard80

Legend
Was mahomme's mind strong in the superbowl?

Both him and Goff struggled through 3 quarters in their first superbowl - but Mahommes found it in the 4th and his team won.

Mahommes is far superior to Goff or really any young QB that has ever played teh game (at this point in their careers)

But it's chapter 1 of a 15 chapter book. So we will see how both their stories play out.