Jamon Brown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm of the opinion that Brown was the weak link of the OLine last year, but yes it is also possible that Allen or Notebloom out performs Sullivan or Havenstein.

Last year the Rams started with the idea of moving Havenstein to OG and Brown to RT which didn't last long.

Did we ever find out if this was this because of Havenstein or Brown?

If it was because of Brown, then that would make Noteboom at RT and Havenstein at OG a possibility if Noteboom turned out to be the 5th best Olineman.

It’s my personal Opinion have a spin move the right guard Ahead of Jamon Brown.Brown was the odd man out as a starter. Jamon brown took over right tackle in place of Greg Robinson was not performing very high. Then eventually they switch back .
Big Rob also was having foot issues, So I think him playing guard was a Plan B because of not being able to rotate that for outside defending the quarterback.

The thing about Brown is how much he had improved, & that goes for Hav & Saffold as well.The consistency is if huge part of it, and Chrome are teaching his techniques is key to developing success.

Ram65

Legend
The Rams signed Sullivan when he was 31, with some durability concerns and didn't break the cap. Rodger Saffold will be 30 next year with a history of shoulder issues.

Solder is 30, but is a left tackle. Jensen is 27, Norwell is 26, Corey Glenn is 28, Pugh is 27, Richburg is 26. Saffold has been a Ram lifer, with the exception of a few weeks as a Raider. I don't think that it is a sure thing that Saffold is a goner next year. Of the current Olinemen, Brown would be the least desirable of Saffold, Havenstein, and Brown, to retain. I think other teams would go after the younger players first. Who would you give a four or five year contract to?

I expect Saffold to stick around. Brown will be gone and it's a good possibility Havenstein will too. The 2019 OLine could be:

Whitworth
Saffold
Sullivan
Blythe
Noteboom

Noteboom
Saffold
Allen
Blythe/Demby
Draftee

Easy to understand. Jamon Brown will be offered much more than the Rams will want to pay him. Blythe will still be on the roster. I won’t project any other non roster players to fill the role. Blythe is the best known commodity on the Rams to play guard if needed. Demby is an NFL unknown. Maybe he is better than Blythe. Who knows?

Before free agency I thought the Rams could keep the line intact. However, the money being offered is way over the top for the Rams with other priorities on the table (Donald,Cooks etc..). It would be great to keep Saffold who is playing at a high level. I think he test free agency. A 30+ Million dollar deal for 3 years seems reasonable for him. I not sure what the market will be for Brown. Depending on how they value him he might be the easiest to resign. Havenstein being an OT should get big offers in free agency. We will see how it plays out.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Last year the Rams started with the idea of moving Havenstein to OG and Brown to RT which didn't last long.

I think it had a lot to do with them looking at the 2016 tape of an injured Havenstein.
Remember Fisher forced him out there even though he had foot or ankle injuries in preseason.
They figured since Brown played tackle in college that they should get a look at him at right tackle and that a less mobile Havenstein could possibly play guard.
Instead Havenstien was uninjured and proved that he's a right tackle and Jamon Brown finally got to settle down at Right Guard.

I personally expect another big leap from Jamon Brown.

True that Brown is probably the less overall talented member to start but I do not think he is in any shape form or fashion a "weak link".

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm of the opinion that Brown was the weak link of the OLine last year, but yes it is also possible that Allen or Notebloom out performs Sullivan or Havenstein.

If it was because of Brown, then that would make Noteboom at RT and Havenstein at OG a possibility if Noteboom turned out to be the 5th best Olineman.
From what I saw, Brown struggled a little bit with the outside speed, with his limited length. He's played both OT positions in college, but I think it turned out to be more of a project than they originally thought. He would have needed more time to adjust. Havenstein may have missed some assignments also, but it seemed like Brown struggleg on the island. I do think he has the feet, but would be an adjustment with his length.

We drafted a lot of guys, so there will be some competition. I happen to agree that the right side will be a better spot to get your foot in. Saffold was solid, Sullivan would be hard to beat, and although Whitworth has lost a little, I sure don't see anyone challenging him. Best case scenario, IMO, everyone gets challenged, and then the 5 from last year win out, because that continuity does mean something.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well if that is the case The Rams are going to have to shell out some big dough for somebody to play guard if Austin Blythe is the best alternative.

I said above that maybe by then Demby steps up, or they sign someone cheap. But, I won't project that this far out. Ideally Demby or Allen can develop into good NFL guards by next year. They could draft a guard with one of their extra third round picks in the next draft too. Either way, with the money being thrown at Olinemen, I expect Brown to be offered more than he is worth. I think the Rams would work harder to retain Havenstein.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think it had a lot to do with them looking at the 2016 tape of an injured Havenstein.
Remember Fisher forced him out there even though he had foot or ankle injuries in preseason.
They figured since Brown played tackle in college that they should get a look at him at right tackle and that a less mobile Havenstein could possibly play guard.
Instead Havenstien was uninjured and proved that he's a right tackle and Jamon Brown finally got to settle down at Right Guard.

I personally expect another big leap from Jamon Brown.

True that Brown is probably the less overall talented member to start but I do not think he is in any shape form or fashion a "weak link".

Hav was not that good at RG. Jamon Brown beat out Greg Robinson , making him available & freeing up salary cap space,while also getting rid of a bad attitude player in the classroom. Saffold was so done with Robinson.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I said above that maybe by then Demby steps up, or they sign someone cheap. But, I won't project that this far out. Ideally Demby or Allen can develop into good NFL guards by next year. They could draft a guard with one of their extra third round picks in the next draft too. Either way, with the money being thrown at Olinemen, I expect Brown to be offered more than he is worth. I think the Rams would work harder to retain Havenstein.

Austin Blythe will lucky just making the squad , compared to Brown starting.Allen looks to be The Rams starting center of the future.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The only thing wrong with Jamon Brown is that before last season he was jerked around more than any player on the team.
As a rookie conversion from Tackle they kept flip-flopping him back and forth between Left Guard and Right Guard.
Then he had some minor injuries on top of that so he was never able to settle down.
Last year he did settle down and he took a big step forward and as I mentioned, I expect him to do the same thing this year.

I look at players like Jamon Brown as positives on this team and not negatives that could to be replaced by a rookie.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Allen looks to be The Rams starting center of the future.
Allen, at this point, is just a PROSPECT that they hope to develop into a starting center or a backup Center/Guard.

Noteboom is just a PROSPECT that they hope to turn into a starting or backup Tackle/(maybe Guard).

I wouldn't count on anything at this point.
Some players peak in college, some of them can continue to develop.
Some of them can look better when they're lined up next to Pros some of them don't.

Time will tell.
I agree with Bonifay that Havenstein is the only one they need to concentrate on re-signing (provided he accepts right tackle money)
The other starters have a little something to prove in the next couple of years as they attempt to develop future starters.

The offensive line being in the excellent short-term shape it is in has to be one of the main reasons they're going for it all right now.
The future of the O line is pretty much in flux.
Which is HUGE.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Hav was not that good at RG. Jamon Brown beat out Greg Robinson , making him available & freeing up salary cap space,while also getting rid of a bad attitude player in the classroom. Saffold was so done with Robinson.
Havenstein is a right tackle ONLY, nothing about the man has ever said guard or left tackle to me.
I don't see where getting rid of Robinson had anything to do with him having a bad attitude or Saffold "being so done with him".

Any expensive player that is not in our future plans is going to be let go to free up money.

fearsomefour

Legend
Havenstein is a right tackle ONLY, nothing about the man has ever said guard or left tackle to me.
I don't see where getting rid of Robinson had anything to do with him having a bad attitude or Saffold "being so done with him".

Any expensive player that is not in our future plans is going to be let go to free up money.
It will be interesting to see if Brown can progress.
He made huge steps last year but was still the weak part of the line. He did flash some great ability though at times. Ability to get to and execute blocks at the second level.
Havenstein is a RT tackle only. At this point I think he is solid. As of now I would say Brown would be the more likely of the two to be resigned for a couple of reasons.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I don't see where Jamon Brown was "weak".
He just looked like an average starting guard in the NFL where everybody else looked above-average.
He's young and he's continuing to develop.
He's heading in the right direction.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I think the draft pick had something to do with the Robinson trade as well.Go back to Fishers last season. Saffold was so frustrated with GR , because he had so many melt downs.
Best thing that ever happened for Saffold was finally having a veteran leader on the offensive line. Whitworth & Sullivan kept him sandwich in to just doing his job at LG!!

The right side moves were an important part of solidifying it . Kromer has always been about cross training, & moving those guys around in OTA’s which are voluntary.Gave him time to evaluate & teach. Hav & Brown we’re roommates way back. They have played next to each a lot.The move added more cohesiveness & Chemistry.

The move gave The Rams confidence to keeping less Offensive Lineman on the roster.

The Big 5 stayed in tack all last & I don’t see that changing at all.

The big thing now is how the depth is going to look ? The left side of the line will be off on Wednesday’s. McVay sort of indicated that yesterday at his press conference, by saying guys will get extra opportunities to work with the first team. My believe is Roger Saffold has earned that day off.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Austin Blythe will lucky just making the squad , compared to Brown starting.Allen looks to be The Rams starting center of the future.

Obviously so about Allen being projected as the Rams center, but he has played guard in college and Sullivan is signed for two years. So, if they need a guard next year and Allen is the best guy to fill the slot, then put him in Brown’s spot and let him learn on the job next to Sullivan.