Jamon Brown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
With a statement like this ?? I’d say California is Mary J friendly for sure.

If they still plan to start the best 5 Olineman, it's not impossible that one of the newcomers beats him out for that 5th spot. Noteboom, Allen, Demby, maybe even Kolone (if he sticks), just might prove to be ready to play earlier than some expect.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Nobody is going to beat out Jamon Brown or anybody else on this offensive line, especially any of the rookies.

Also Havenstien is a right tackle only.
He's not a guard.
He's not a center.
And he would only be average at left tackle, which is not good enough.

The only drafted these guys to develop and possibly be backups this year and possible future starters.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams signed Sullivan when he was 31, with some durability concerns and didn't break the cap. Rodger Saffold will be 30 next year with a history of shoulder issues.

Solder is 30, but is a left tackle. Jensen is 27, Norwell is 26, Corey Glenn is 28, Pugh is 27, Richburg is 26. Saffold has been a Ram lifer, with the exception of a few weeks as a Raider. I don't think that it is a sure thing that Saffold is a goner next year. Of the current Olinemen, Brown would be the least desirable of Saffold, Havenstein, and Brown, to retain. I think other teams would go after the younger players first. Who would you give a four or five year contract to?

I expect Saffold to stick around. Brown will be gone and it's a good possibility Havenstein will too. The 2019 OLine could be:

Whitworth
Saffold
Sullivan
Blythe
Noteboom

Noteboom
Saffold
Allen
Blythe/Demby
Draftee
On this we have differing thought for-sure.

To further this discussion here Elmgrovegnome....On the history of Rodgers shoulder issues....I am sure Rodger would say that he's going on 3 yrs since those events so it not recent history.

Rodger is also making 8 million this season & he signed a very friendly low end contract back in 2014 @ five year worth $31,7 million. Sure looks like he has been playing for the Rams @ a close to bargain rate to me. I thought that Rodger was our best overall playing OL'er in 2017. I would expect that he is not going to low-ball himself any longer & will demand big payday elsewhere after 9 seasons as a Ram & coming off a Super Bowl win. He stands a very good chance to be the top Free Agent OG next season.

Rams sure did not go after younger OL'ers like you think other teams will do when the Rams were looking in free Agency for big help & leadership they went out & got to graybeards of many NFL wars. It paid off very well for the Rams rising out of the muck of mega losings seasons back to back. It might have also been great luck too;).

So you see the under 6-2 295 lbs short 32 inch arm Austin Blythe as a replacement for the 6-4 330 lbs Jamon Brown starting strong side ORG for the Rams? Lets discuss that some more if you can I need to see what you are seeing I must of missed something not that unusual:unsure:.

Finally I sure hope you are right about Rodger Saffold sticking around after this season ...that would be a great off season catch!:yess:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If they still plan to start the best 5 Olineman, it's not impossible that one of the newcomers beats him out for that 5th spot. Noteboom, Allen, Demby, maybe even Kolone (if he sticks), just might prove to be ready to play earlier than some expect.

That could be true , but Jamon Brown is playing at a very high level, & is set to have a real good year.His mind set is right !!

The same could be said about Allen over Sullivan.
In my opinion Rob Havenstein hasn’t been the best right tackle plus has had foot problems, so Noteboom could just as easily start over him. Plus I don’t see Noteboom playing guard at all.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Saffolds shoulder injuries were done to repair deficiencies that were pre-existing.

The repairs done to his shoulder fixed the problems permanently and made his shoulders stronger than they were prior.

I recall articles done at the time stating that they would actually be stronger than they were prior.
The same with Bradford who has not had a reoccurring problem with his shoulder.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The last thing this coaching staff wants to do is mess with any of the continuity on the O line (especially) or the offense (in general).

What they DO want to do is make every person on that offense better at what they do in their second year in that system.

Putting in somebody (especially a rookie) messes up the continuity at that position and even affects the Center and Right Tackle.

What they're doing right now is trying to fine tune the offense, and expand the playbook, not make any changes to personnel.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
On this we have differing thought for-sure.

To further this discussion here Elmgrovegnome....On the history of Rodgers shoulder issues....I am sure Rodger would say that he's going on 3 yrs since those events so it not recent history.

Rodger is also making 8 million this season & he signed a very friendly low end contract back in 2014 @ five year worth $31,7 million. Sure looks like he has been playing for the Rams @ a close to bargain rate to me. I thought that Rodger was our best overall playing OL'er in 2017. I would expect that he is not going to low-ball himself any longer & will demand big payday elsewhere after 9 seasons as a Ram & coming off a Super Bowl win. He stands a very good chance to be the top Free Agent OG next season.

Rams sure did not go after younger OL'ers like you think other teams will do when the Rams were looking in free Agency for big help & leadership they went out & got to graybeards of many NFL wars. It paid off very well for the Rams rising out of the muck of mega losings seasons back to back. It might have also been great luck too;).

So you see the under 6-2 295 lbs short 32 inch arm Austin Blythe as a replacement for the 6-4 330 lbs Jamon Brown starting strong side ORG for the Rams? Lets discuss that some more if you can I need to see what you are seeing I must of missed something not that unusual:unsure:.

Finally I sure hope you are right about Rodger Saffold sticking around after this season ...that would be a great off season catch!:yess:

Easy to understand. Jamon Brown will be offered much more than the Rams will want to pay him. Blythe will still be on the roster. I won’t project any other non roster players to fill the role. Blythe is the best known commodity on the Rams to play guard if needed. Demby is an NFL unknown. Maybe he is better than Blythe. Who knows?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
/wretch

Van Wilder completely ruined that.

If you've seen it, you know what I mean. I won't go into details...

180242_full.jpg

th

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
An addition to an earlier post;

I hope Blythe proves me wrong and becomes a game-day active Key Reserve.

Whoever earns those two or three game-day actives - actually earned them in Camp.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Saffolds shoulder injuries were done to repair deficiencies that were pre-existing.

The repairs done to his shoulder fixed the problems permanently and made his shoulders stronger than they were prior.

I recall articles done at the time stating that they would actually be stronger than they were prior.
The same with Bradford who has not had a reoccurring problem with his shoulder.

Drew brees as well ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The last thing this coaching staff wants to do is mess with any of the continuity on the O line (especially) or the offense (in general).

What they DO want to do is make every person on that offense better at what they do in their second year in that system.

Putting in somebody (especially a rookie) messes up the continuity at that position and even affects the Center and Right Tackle.

What they're doing right now is trying to fine tune the offense, and expand the playbook, not make any changes to personnel.

Here is my question & thinking .

How many Offensive Lineman will The Rams keep ? My thinking is more than last season ,
because they need to build depth & new starters for 2019.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Saffold is a borderline Pro Bowl player.

Blythe is a borderline NFL player.

How much is it going to cost to keep Roger Saffold ? Blythe did one in for Roger Saffold a couple times last season, I believe?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Easy to understand. Jamon Brown will be offered much more than the Rams will want to pay him. Blythe will still be on the roster. I won’t project any other non roster players to fill the role. Blythe is the best known commodity on the Rams to play guard if needed. Demby is an NFL unknown. Maybe he is better than Blythe. Who knows?

Well if that is the case The Rams are going to have to shell out some big dough for somebody to play guard if Austin Blythe is the best alternative.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
An addition to an earlier post;

I hope Blythe proves me wrong and becomes a game-day active Key Reserve.

Whoever earns those two or three game-day actives - actually earned them in Camp.

That’s true. Right now it’s all on paper, nothing is written in stone.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Well if that is the case The Rams are going to have to shell out some big dough for somebody to play guard if Austin Blythe is the best alternative.
That's why they're developing these 3rd and 4th rounders now.
They want to develop O lineman from within if possible while they're still on their first contract and it gives them alternatives to were they may not have to necessarily pay for an expensive free agent.

It pains me to say it but the Patriots have been pretty good at this method of O Line building.

Memphis Ram

Legend
That could be true , but Jamon Brown is playing at a very high level, & is set to have a real good year.His mind set is right !!

The same could be said about Allen over Sullivan.
In my opinion Rob Havenstein hasn’t been the best right tackle plus has had foot problems, so Noteboom could just as easily start over him. Plus I don’t see Noteboom playing guard at all.

I'm of the opinion that Brown was the weak link of the OLine last year, but yes it is also possible that Allen or Notebloom out performs Sullivan or Havenstein.

Last year the Rams started with the idea of moving Havenstein to OG and Brown to RT which didn't last long.

Did we ever find out if this was this because of Havenstein or Brown?

If it was because of Brown, then that would make Noteboom at RT and Havenstein at OG a possibility if Noteboom turned out to be the 5th best Olineman.