Jameis Winston to the Rams Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
He put it in the hands of Derek Anderson, John Skelton, Kevin Kolb, and Max Hall. ;)

After Warner hung them up he did lol. His success in Arizona had a lot to with Warner which is why I think he is smart enough to know he needs a guy like Winston.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I think the Rams are going to have to pay a premium to move that far up. They set the standard with the RGIII trade then rubbed Wash. nose n it. That doesn't go unnoticed in front offices.
And where's Mariota in this scenario? To the Buc's? Why not Winston to them? They may look at it as they can sell more tickets. 1st overall picks are really a owners pick. And owners about the $$$$$$. If not the owner would Lovie Smith be comfortable changing his offense to scheme that Mariota is familiar with?

Another reason I think it could get expensive is, there's 2 legit 1st RD qb's in this draft. The rest are 2nd round sit for awhile guys. Once the first one comes off the board hotseat GM's& HC's are gonna wanna jump in trying to save their jobs.
It's like Tommy Prothro said in the 70's " If it seems too easy to trade up and get your guy then you probably shouldn't".

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the Rams are going to have to pay a premium to move that far up. They set the standard with the RGIII trade then rubbed Wash. nose n it. That doesn't go unnoticed in front offices.
And where's Mariota in this scenario? To the Buc's? Why not Winston to them? They may look at it as they can sell more tickets. 1st overall picks are really a owners pick. And owners about the $$$$$$. If not the owner would Lovie Smith be comfortable changing his offense to scheme that Mariota is familiar with?

Another reason I think it could get expensive is, there's 2 legit 1st RD qb's in this draft. The rest are 2nd round sit for awhile guys. Once the first one comes off the board hotseat GM's& HC's are gonna wanna jump in trying to save their jobs.
It's like Tommy Prothro said in the 70's " If it seems too easy to trade up and get your guy then you probably shouldn't".

Mariota goes #1 to Tampa. Think Lovie will prefer the less turnover prone QB.

The Rams are paying a premium...just not a RGIII premium. I think every FO, including Washington, has come to realize what a royal fuck-up giving up that much was.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Not gonna happen. Not gonna move three firsts for any pick. I don't see bidder driving the price up. Think the Jets are our competition and they're not going to offer much to trade up.

I feel like there will be some teams that don't have Winston on their board.

To the bold, yes. Doesn't mean anything to me. Cleveland passed on Teddy Bridgewater for Johnny Manziel. NFL teams make bad decisions.

What do you think the Jets would offer to move up? Just curious what you see the competing bid being.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
What do you think the Jets would offer to move up? Just curious what you see the competing bid being.
I think it would be close to what your original offer the Rams would make, maybe a little less.

The reason with 2 QB's going that high, it means trading down to the 6th slot the 4th best position player is still on the board. with a Ram trade they get the 8th best. Thats a big difference.
To me the real trade action will be with Tenn. and Jax. Jax. has their guy, they want picks to rebuild rest of the team, Winston trade will help that. I still don't exclude Tenn. from taking him. There's a HUGE difference in talent between Winston and Mettenberger.It's kinda like not drafting Bradford cause they had Null. Not to that degree but you get my point. Then they can spin Mettenberger off for a lower pick. Would you swap a 2nd for Mettenberger?

To me, Tenn. has all the leverage in this. They can take him, act like their taking him and it's believable, or trade Winstons rights for picks.

Couple things to add to our other discussion.
I'm not sure a lot of FO's have Mariota rated above Winston. He wows us fans and all that, but lots of scouts tweets i've read think he's a scheme guy only. Changing schemes in May is kinda rough.

And Winston's stock is going to jump when he gets to the combine and private workouts. His tools will push him to the top QB with out playing a game.
Coaches always fall in love with mesurables, and think they can coach anyone up.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I think it would be close to what your original offer the Rams would make, maybe a little less.

I guess is that my worry is that the Rams will have trouble matching an offer by the Jets, mainly when it comes to future picks. If you trade him to the Rams it is tough to believe that we are not in the running for a wildcard spot (assuming you believe in his talent), but I have a tough time believing that the Jets improve that much in the off-season. So a trade from the rams of this year and next year would be a 10th and say #22 or lower next year where it is likely a trade form the Jets would be #6 this year and likely #15 or higher next. That is a lot of value for the Rams to match - or you have to believe the Jets will get much better in the off-season...