Jameis Winston to the Rams Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
You're not going to be able to have both Winston and Bradford without dividing the locker room and the fan base. Every bad throw and every bad game Bradford has will get the anti-Bradford crowd to a CenturyLink Field level of decibels calling for Winston to be the starter. Not to mention Winston's the type of guy that likes being the alpha. I could see this being a disaster of a situation for all parties.

Have to agree with you there. You don't trade a future 1st round pick to move up for any player who doesn't automatically become a starter.

Limey

Rookie
I like the overall plan and the FA moves. Don't know enough about the later round players, but the early rounds look good. I'm hoping for a couple of comp picks (Clemens, Smith, Williams out, Hill in?), which might help with the depth (a LB and another OL?)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would be happy with this draft Jrry. You know I think Winston is the best QB available by far. I was impressed with Cam Erving at center and I think Boling would be an adequate OLG.

I wonder how Erving grades out mentally for the Center position at the next level. I guess we wont find out for a while. Supposedly this is a very strong class for Centers. I wonder if Fisher waits on that position. I hope not.

I have heard more than once that 'scouts' are not as impressed with Amari Cooper as the fans are. I haven't heard any explanations yet as to why. I know you trust your own judgement but I would be interested to see 'who' and 'why' because I thought he was the clear cut top WR in this draft.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Just no way I'm giving up multiple 1st round picks for Winston. If he is the best option at QB then don't pick one. Use what we've got to fill other needs and don't over draft for anyone. Bradford is the guy who is going to make this team a winner next year if they can protect him. If he does that and says healthy then the Oline has been improved enough to protect him for the next few years. Pick someone to develop in the 2016 draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But, Buffalo got mocked for making such a trade up for Watkins who, so far, has been outplayed by WRs taken after him. IMO, the very same thing could happen with Cooper this year via another pretty good WR draft class (while not as strong).

I don't think Buffalo is too upset with what they have in Watkins.

Minus a trade down or the selection of a QB, I think that there's a snowball's chance in hell the Titans would pass on Leonard Williams for Cooper. Coach might even want to, but no GM/personnel guy worth his salt would allow it, IMO. And especially a GM who has used a 1st rounder and a VERY high 2nd rounder (#34 overall) on WRs in 2 of the last 3 drafts.

Okay, Titans take Leonard Williams and the Jaguars likely take Randy Gregory or Amari Cooper.

As far as the Jets, if things played out the way you have it, the key is whether or not the drop from 4 down to 6 seems more palatable to the Raiders vs. the drop from 4 down to 10. After the Senior Bowl that might be more clear as there typically seems to be 5-6 players most seem to lock in as the top 5-6 picks. Will the Raiders be willing to drop below what is usually considered the elite talent level players for that offer?

I think so. I doubt the Jets are willing to offer a future 1st which will seal the deal. Raiders can grab a guy like DeVante Parker or Kevin White at #10 or another player.

BTW, I really wouldn't rule out the Bears or even the Redskins. In fact, the Bears swapping picks with Tennessee for Cutler makes all the sense in the world to me.

Possibly. We shall see.

Again, not questioning this player, but just curious what you think of the Mizzou center, Evan Boehm (sp?). During the bowl game the other night, the TV color analyst (don't recall his name, but wasn't one I recognized) mentioned, at least a couple times, he thought Boehm was one of the best OC's he's seen this year.

Haven't evaluated him. If he declares, I'll make sure to check him out. Thanks. :)

You're not going to be able to have both Winston and Bradford without dividing the locker room and the fan base. Every bad throw and every bad game Bradford has will get the anti-Bradford crowd to a CenturyLink Field level of decibels calling for Winston to be the starter. Not to mention Winston's the type of guy that likes being the alpha. I could see this being a disaster of a situation for all parties.

That's where I trust Fisher. I think he can handle it. Fisher will keep the locker-room together. The fan-base can be divided. Already have been. Is what it is.

Winston redshirted at FSU. Same thing here, tell him he's getting redshirt year.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Tampa will grab Winston with their pick. Issues or not franchise QB's don't grow on trees. Winston is the best bet for that.

Mariotta is a system QB and that system isn't run by NFL teams. I would have my doubts on him being a pocket passer. Unless a team is willing to incorporate his running ability into the game plan. And who's willing to let their top pick run wild with guys just as fast or faster trying to take his head off?

I don't see a team who needs a QB as bad as we do trading that pick.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't think Buffalo is too upset with what they have in Watkins.

No? I bet they'd rather have Odell Beckham and their 2015 1st round draft selection right about now.

Appearing on Sunday NFL Countdown, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported ex-coach Doug Marrone "stormed out of the draft room" when the Bills traded up for Sammy Watkins in May's draft.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9388/sammy-watkins

Memphis Ram

Legend
Tampa will grab Winston with their pick. Issues or not franchise QB's don't grow on trees. Winston is the best bet for that.

The media, fans, and coaching staffs are going to rip him a new one, but you are probably right.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No? I bet they'd rather have Odell Beckham and their 2015 1st round draft selection right about now.

Appearing on Sunday NFL Countdown, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported ex-coach Doug Marrone "stormed out of the draft room" when the Bills traded up for Sammy Watkins in May's draft.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9388/sammy-watkins

Yea and I'd bet we'd rather have Russell Wilson than Isaiah Pead. Easy to play Captain Hindsight. Watkins has been a successful pick.

There isn't going to be anyone mocking a team for taking Cooper highly. And on the off chance there is, that person isn't worth listening to.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yea and I'd bet we'd rather have Russell Wilson than Isaiah Pead. Easy to play Captain Hindsight. Watkins has been a successful pick.

There isn't going to be anyone mocking a team for taking Cooper highly. And on the off chance there is, that person isn't worth listening to.

Hindsight? People (including myself AND some Bills fans) were calling that a dumb trade when it happened given his position and the depth of the draft class. And apparently even the former head coach probably agrees. Besides, the Rams traded down and made the Pead mistake. They didn't give up a 1st rounder to move up and make it.

Taking Cooper highly won't be questioned. But, even though each draft class is different, using the #2 pick in the draft on him would and should be, IMO.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hindsight? People (including myself AND some Bills fans) were calling that a dumb trade when it happened given his position and the depth of the draft class. And apparently even the former head coach probably agrees. Besides, the Rams traded down and made the Pead mistake. They didn't give up a 1st rounder to move up and make it.

Taking Cooper highly won't be questioned. But, even though each draft class is different, using the #2 pick in the draft on him would and should be, IMO.

We're not talking about the trade. We're talking about the pick. I'm not advocating trading a future first for Cooper. So I'm not sure why the trade would be relevant.

I thought the trade was stupid at the time.

Tennessee isn't giving up a top 10 pick and a future first rounder. They'd simply be drafting Cooper at #2. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Memphis Ram

Legend
We're not talking about the trade. We're talking about the pick. I'm not advocating trading a future first for Cooper. So I'm not sure why the trade would be relevant.

I thought the trade was stupid at the time.

Tennessee isn't giving up a top 10 pick and a future first rounder. They'd simply be drafting Cooper at #2. And there's nothing wrong with that.

The trade became a part of the discussion when you used it to justify the Titans using the #2 pick on Cooper. IMO, that would be a foolish move when the team could trade down (2 highly rated QB available this year) and possibly still get him or another talented WR and extra picks and/or players.

Sammy Watkins isn't greater than Mike Evans or Odell Beckham and picks.
And Amari Cooper isn't greater than Kevin White or Devante Parker and picks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The trade became a part of the discussion when you used it to justify the Titans using the #2 pick on Cooper. IMO, that would be a foolish move when the team could trade down (2 highly rated QB available this year) and possibly still get him or another talented WR and extra picks and/or players.

Sammy Watkins isn't greater than Mike Evans or Odell Beckham and picks.
And Amari Cooper isn't greater than Kevin White or Devante Parker and picks.

I don't disagree. But a NFL team may. Even if they do trade down, I think they'd likely take the same offer that Oakland is taking.

I wasn't using the trade to say that it was a good idea...only to say that Cooper can be valued that highly. Trading multiple first round picks is a far cry from taking Cooper in the top 2-3 picks.

Then again, how can you be sure that there are two highly rated QBs this year? Maybe other teams don't rate Winston as a top 2 pick?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I love this for the Rams. But why would Tennessee rather go with Mettenberger than Winston? I don't see Winston getting past Tennessee.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have to agree with you there. You don't trade a future 1st round pick to move up for any player who doesn't automatically become a starter.

Giants did.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Whisenhunt.

Things obviously will change but the speculation right now is that they'll bring in a veteran to compete with Mettenberger. Which makes sense as that seems to fit Whisenhunt's MO.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9379/zach-mettenberger

Well there is no Kurt Warner this year for him. His MO quickly will become Jameis Winston. Whisenhunt is pretty bright. He is not putting his coaching career in Mettenbergers hands. No sane football guy or gal would pass on Winston for Mettenberger IMO....still like any mock that nets us Winston though lol

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Good draft.
I think the price to trade up for Winston is too low. Gonna have to include a additional 1st rd pick for them to drop to #10. At your price there would be more bidders driving the price up.
I'm not sure Winston will even be there at #3. And if Tenn. passes on Winston for the pedestrian Mettenberger whose upside is average and one of the FA vets, is Winston worth mortgaging the future for?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well there is no Kurt Warner this year for him. His MO quickly will become Jameis Winston. Whisenhunt is pretty bright. He is not putting his coaching career in Mettenbergers hands. No sane football guy or gal would pass on Winston for Mettenberger IMO....still like any mock that nets us Winston though lol

He put it in the hands of Derek Anderson, John Skelton, Kevin Kolb, and Max Hall. ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good draft.
I think the price to trade up for Winston is too low. Gonna have to include a additional 1st rd pick for them to drop to #10. At your price there would be more bidders driving the price up.
I'm not sure Winston will even be there at #3. And if Tenn. passes on Winston for the pedestrian Mettenberger whose upside is average and one of the FA vets, is Winston worth mortgaging the future for?

Not gonna happen. Not gonna move three firsts for any pick. I don't see bidder driving the price up. Think the Jets are our competition and they're not going to offer much to trade up.

I feel like there will be some teams that don't have Winston on their board.

To the bold, yes. Doesn't mean anything to me. Cleveland passed on Teddy Bridgewater for Johnny Manziel. NFL teams make bad decisions.