Jadevon Clowney Proday Now! My Scouting Report!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
There's hasn't been a player that I've not wanted the Rams to select more than Clowney in quite awhile.
This fact of course guarantees that he'll be the Rams pick at 2.

So to all the Clowney fans, you're welcome.

RustyRay

Rookie
That was a very nice read, thanks for taking the time to research and post it.

The Rams are in a very good place in this draft, lucky for them the talent at the top is deep..

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
There are 0 scenarios where I won't be happy with our first round.

I do want some more than others, but I can't see myself being mad at any pick.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The talent is there. I'm just wondering if he's gonna bring it every down, especially since he would be a rotational player (he's not starting over Robert Quinn or Chris Long).

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
In what world is that a likely scenario?

Bizarro world I suppose. You did say there would be 0 scenario's where you wouldn't be happy!! I'm bored, and just making stupid jibes...I need help :(

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Bizarro world I suppose. You did say there would be 0 scenario's where you wouldn't be happy!! I'm bored, and just making stupid jibes...I need help :(

Yea 0 real world scenarios! :)

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Jadeveon Clowney had been in the public conscious for 2 years. And now Wham-O, suddenly the Rams possess the #2 pick! Before watching Jadeveon Clowney tape and interviews, I was in the Camp flying Red flags. I blame the media! I blame myself for believing the negative hype, without first checking out the film. So what did I see?

Jadeveon Clowney
, DE, South Carolina at the NFL Combine
Height: 6-6. Weight: 266.
40 Time: 4.53 -Vertical leap 37.5

Jadeveon is a big man! Jadeveon will get put threw the grinder by 4 or 5 NFL defensive line coaches. I'm curious how Clowney will do in linebacker coverage drills, because I know the Rams Scouts will watch those drills very closely.

If you haven't noticed , Jadeveon Clowney is a Big Man! I predict tomorrow 266 pounds of muscle strapped to a 6 foot 6 inch frame! No baby fat on this boy. Anyway I watched a bunch of 2013 film and last years Outback Bowl, where Jadeveon Clowney went up against Taylor Lewan. In all I watched 8 complete games including, the Tennessee game, where Antonio Richardson had to block Clowney.

Against the Run- Clowney is even better against the run than the pass! For the most part teams refused to run directly at Clowney. But that didn't stop Clowney from disrupting plays to the other side of the line. Clowney has a tremendous knack for faking an outside rush, and then attacking inside with blinding speed. Clowney fake outside, then shoot the gapinside and meet the ball carrier 4 yards deep in the backfield. ( On one play the running back made a dangerous but smart decision. As he was hit by Clowney he pushed the football forward thru the air back at the QB! Ruling? Incomplete pass) lol You won't see that play in Clowney stats.

Clowney also can run parallel behind the line of scrimmage like Robert Quinn and tackle the RB, before he makes his break off the opposite OT. The only time teams ran at Clowney was in passing situations.
Clowney would rush the edge like Quinn, and the OT would take him up field, and out of the play. Clowney has a fantastic Swim move he uses to split blocks on passing and running plays. He often beat double teams that way.

Clowney is very strong, and he just manhandles ball carriers. Not bench press strong. Farm boy strong. God help them if he hits square up.

Against the Pass- Clowney reminds me of Quinn when rushing the edge. Like Quinn he can be taken out of the play to the outside. I think Quinn has better body edge bend. But when Clowney runs a stunt to the inside, he is very dangerous. Many of his sacks, hurries, forced fumbles, and blocked passes came on these type rushes. Once Clowney gets his hand on a QB, the QB very rarely escapes. Clowney has super-duper closing speed. When he hits the running back or QB dead on it's breath taking.Taylor Lewan and Antonio Richardson both had their hands full. It seemed to me that Jadeveon got extra motivated this year to play against Antionio Richarson. I think Clowne gets up for the better offensive tackles, because I Jadeveon had one of his better games against Richardson. Richardson is projected as a late first to early 2nd rounder. Here is a link to all of Clowney vs Richarson's snaps-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWul62MaRT4

Misconceptions-
- I think Clowney has a high motor. Before I saw the film, I thought he took plays off. I didn't see Clowney take many plays off. He often caught RB's from behind down field. He's faster then most running backs. His first step off the ball is extremely impressive. Clowney's motor is very high!!!

- Clowney can play 3 technique, DE, and strong side linebacker. Several times a game Clowney would drop back into coverage. Or he would start the play in a 2 point stance, and drop back against the pass, or for containment. I didn't see many throws in his direction, but what I did see was Clowney ability to track the QB or the running back in those situations. And because Clowney can change direction very quickly for a big man, he excels at cornering QB's and Running Backs. He Tracks RB's down with speed, reactions, and patience. He Hunts and Tracks them down. For a tall man Clowney can play 3 technique and stay low on runs.

- Personality I watched several Clowney interviews. Clowney likes to laugh. He's is an optimist. He doesn't guard his words, so he comes off unrehearsed, blunt, and sincere. He'll do good on the interviews at the combine. More importantly Clowney strikes me as a Man who Loves to play football. That's how I see it. I didn't see the primadonna I heard so much about. He's not Peyton Manning humble. But he's no Michael Irvin either. He's no worse than anybody else. His intelligence is average.

Pros and Cons- Pros- Size, speed, tracking ability, versatility to play anywhere on the line and Sam Linebacker, ( Clowney is very good at stringing a play out to the sideline, where either he, or a teammate, or the sideline makes the tackle), Clowney can stop on a dime and shift direction very well for a man his size. Running backs have a difficult time faking him out. High motor. Team player
Cons- Sometimes Clowney stands too high on a pass rush, and the OT can tie him up. Like I said earlier, teams can run inside the tackle on obvious passing plays, when Clowney rushes the QB on an edge rush, Remember how the Cowboys did that to us last year? Speeding tickets. He had an IV before a game because of a stomach virus. The media watches Clowney's every move. If you want to see why Jadeveon was sucking air in the North Carolina game watch the tape. He played very hard! The tape don't lie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnnTNVWK0lg

Double and Triple Teams - I had heard that Clowney was double and triple teamed on every play. This was not true. Whenever they ran the ball at Clowney he was double teamed. And he held up well, often disrupting the play, if not making the tackle. On passing plays he was double teamed often by the OT and a RB. If he got past the OT the running back was in trouble. I only saw a few triple teams and triple teams neutralized Clowney.

How would Jadeveon Clowney fit in with the Rams? I know DE is our strength. Let's speculate anyway, because you know Snisher is speculating. Because of Clowney size, speed, and reactions, the Rams could play Clowey anywhere along the Defensive Line. Like I said earlier, Clowney is very effective against the run. He can stay low on running downs. On passing downs imagine a four man line of Long, Clowney, Brockers, and Quinn.

Or you could play Clowney at strong side linebacker in certain situations. I saw him do it on tape. Greg Williams is known for his creative blitz packages. Clowney would be a terror blizting from the strong OLB spot. Plus he can move from sideline to sideline like Ogletree, except at Jadeveon at 6-6 272 4.50 is bigger and faster than Ogletree! Take my word for it when I say, he can fight off offensive line blocks better Ogletree or J. Laurinatis. Don't get me wrong! I love our linebackers. I do, I do. Muah Ogletree. xoxox JL

Should the Rams draft Clowne? After watching film, my feelings wouldn't be hurt if the Rams drafted him at #2. I give Houston a 35% shot at drafting Jadeveon. He's not dropping past #2. #3 is the lowest I can imagine him going. GM's have seen the same film, I saw, and I guarantee you he won't be there at #4. I've also watched a lot of film on Anthony Barr and Khalil Mack. Clowney is way better than those two. If I can know that, than Snisher know it too. Jadeveon Clowney is the best defensive player in the draft. Hands down. After watching film I can only imagine 2 player the Rams would target in the 2-4 range. Jadeveon and Sammy Watkins.

If Jeff Fisher and Les Snead want to collect elite future hall of famers, then Snisher must consider Clowney at #2! Playmakers! We want playmakers QB's are out of the question. If Fisher's has never drafted an offensive lineman in the first round, what makes you think he would draft a OT in the first 6 picks. Snisher want's playmakers. Behind Snisher's closed doors I'll bet the discussion is between Sammy Watkins and Jadeveon Clowney. Or more likely trading down for valuable extra picks. Jadevon Clowney is a little immature, but the Manster is only 21 years old! Give him a break, and watch NFL NETWORK broadcast Clowney workout. I'm sure Jadeveon will knock it out of the park. Tune in and watch Wednesday NFL Network Jadeveon TV. And comment on what you see!
Was a nice read and thankyou for posting! Better than my first posts on this site that were probably 4 letter words! lol
Please do not leave on account for Flipper, he often is in need of a hug.
Even though I like to mess with the 'Know it all's'

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I am sorry. I just joined this site a few moments ago. I am in over my head. I am not up to the standards of Ramsondemand, so I will absquatulate this site.

But then you'll never be able to spend your ROD cash.

Don't mind Flipper , he's a Brit and has a somewhat different concept of social grace.

BTW good report on Clowney now go to the intro thread and tell us about yerself.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Starting to think we need to ask for at least a 1st, and a 2nd from the dirty birds if they want in on the action for Mr. Clowney.

A55VA6

Legend
Clowney was great today though. All the guys looked winded at the end and couldn't even finish the drills but Clowney did the drills better, faster, and wasn't winded at the end.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Hi, guys.

I just wanted to apologise for my appalling behaviour towards our new member.

I've already sent a personal message to Cindy and I hope that she can forgive me.

I've been out drinking all day and, while that doesn't excuse my lack of manners, I hope that it explains it. Those of you who read my posts (if any of you do) know that I'm not a bad guy.

Sorry

Carl.

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Hi, guys.

I've been out drinking all day and, while that doesn't excuse my lack of manners, I hope that it explains it.

Sorry

Carl.
U friggin snob!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I am sorry. I just joined this site a few moments ago. I am in over my head. I am not up to the standards of Ramsondemand, so I will absquatulate this site.

I was going to welcome you to ROD but I see you've already ran into a welcome wagon! :D

But please please don't absquatulate us!!!! That sounds like it may hurt a touch!

Clowney????? If the football gods will it for him to don horns, I'll abide by their decision. (y)

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Nice post R&Ewe. Appreciate the effort you put into watching the tape and sharing your opinion with us. New perspectives always welcome here.

duckhunter

Starter
Nice post, R&E.

Please, do B Breeland, CB, Clemson if you would like. He's running under the radar so you could shed some light.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Hi, guys.

I've already sent a personal message to Cindy and I hope that she can forgive me.

I've been out drinking all day and, while that doesn't excuse my lack of manners, I hope that it explains it. Those of you who read my posts (if any of you do) know that I'm not a bad guy.

Sorry

Carl.
No biggy, I like to drink and argue with JRY about J CLowney.... ;)