Jadevon Clowney Proday Now! My Scouting Report!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Jadeveon Clowney had been in the public conscious for 2 years. And now Wham-O, suddenly the Rams possess the #2 pick! Before watching Jadeveon Clowney tape and interviews, I was in the Camp flying Red flags. I blame the media! I blame myself for believing the negative hype, without first checking out the film. So what did I see?

Jadeveon Clowney
, DE, South Carolina at the NFL Combine
Height: 6-6. Weight: 266.
40 Time: 4.53 -Vertical leap 37.5

Jadeveon is a big man! Jadeveon will get put threw the grinder by 4 or 5 NFL defensive line coaches. I'm curious how Clowney will do in linebacker coverage drills, because I know the Rams Scouts will watch those drills very closely.

If you haven't noticed , Jadeveon Clowney is a Big Man! I predict tomorrow 266 pounds of muscle strapped to a 6 foot 6 inch frame! No baby fat on this boy. Anyway I watched a bunch of 2013 film and last years Outback Bowl, where Jadeveon Clowney went up against Taylor Lewan. In all I watched 8 complete games including, the Tennessee game, where Antonio Richardson had to block Clowney.

Against the Run- Clowney is even better against the run than the pass! For the most part teams refused to run directly at Clowney. But that didn't stop Clowney from disrupting plays to the other side of the line. Clowney has a tremendous knack for faking an outside rush, and then attacking inside with blinding speed. Clowney fake outside, then shoot the gapinside and meet the ball carrier 4 yards deep in the backfield. ( On one play the running back made a dangerous but smart decision. As he was hit by Clowney he pushed the football forward thru the air back at the QB! Ruling? Incomplete pass) lol You won't see that play in Clowney stats.

Clowney also can run parallel behind the line of scrimmage like Robert Quinn and tackle the RB, before he makes his break off the opposite OT. The only time teams ran at Clowney was in passing situations.
Clowney would rush the edge like Quinn, and the OT would take him up field, and out of the play. Clowney has a fantastic Swim move he uses to split blocks on passing and running plays. He often beat double teams that way.

Clowney is very strong, and he just manhandles ball carriers. Not bench press strong. Farm boy strong. God help them if he hits square up.

Against the Pass- Clowney reminds me of Quinn when rushing the edge. Like Quinn he can be taken out of the play to the outside. I think Quinn has better body edge bend. But when Clowney runs a stunt to the inside, he is very dangerous. Many of his sacks, hurries, forced fumbles, and blocked passes came on these type rushes. Once Clowney gets his hand on a QB, the QB very rarely escapes. Clowney has super-duper closing speed. When he hits the running back or QB dead on it's breath taking.Taylor Lewan and Antonio Richardson both had their hands full. It seemed to me that Jadeveon got extra motivated this year to play against Antionio Richarson. I think Clowne gets up for the better offensive tackles, because I Jadeveon had one of his better games against Richardson. Richardson is projected as a late first to early 2nd rounder. Here is a link to all of Clowney vs Richarson's snaps-

Misconceptions-
- I think Clowney has a high motor. Before I saw the film, I thought he took plays off. I didn't see Clowney take many plays off. He often caught RB's from behind down field. He's faster then most running backs. His first step off the ball is extremely impressive. Clowney's motor is very high!!!

- Clowney can play 3 technique, DE, and strong side linebacker. Several times a game Clowney would drop back into coverage. Or he would start the play in a 2 point stance, and drop back against the pass, or for containment. I didn't see many throws in his direction, but what I did see was Clowney ability to track the QB or the running back in those situations. And because Clowney can change direction very quickly for a big man, he excels at cornering QB's and Running Backs. He Tracks RB's down with speed, reactions, and patience. He Hunts and Tracks them down. For a tall man Clowney can play 3 technique and stay low on runs.

- Personality I watched several Clowney interviews. Clowney likes to laugh. He's is an optimist. He doesn't guard his words, so he comes off unrehearsed, blunt, and sincere. He'll do good on the interviews at the combine. More importantly Clowney strikes me as a Man who Loves to play football. That's how I see it. I didn't see the primadonna I heard so much about. He's not Peyton Manning humble. But he's no Michael Irvin either. He's no worse than anybody else. His intelligence is average.

Pros and Cons- Pros- Size, speed, tracking ability, versatility to play anywhere on the line and Sam Linebacker, ( Clowney is very good at stringing a play out to the sideline, where either he, or a teammate, or the sideline makes the tackle), Clowney can stop on a dime and shift direction very well for a man his size. Running backs have a difficult time faking him out. High motor. Team player
Cons- Sometimes Clowney stands too high on a pass rush, and the OT can tie him up. Like I said earlier, teams can run inside the tackle on obvious passing plays, when Clowney rushes the QB on an edge rush, Remember how the Cowboys did that to us last year? Speeding tickets. He had an IV before a game because of a stomach virus. The media watches Clowney's every move. If you want to see why Jadeveon was sucking air in the North Carolina game watch the tape. He played very hard! The tape don't lie.

Double and Triple Teams - I had heard that Clowney was double and triple teamed on every play. This was not true. Whenever they ran the ball at Clowney he was double teamed. And he held up well, often disrupting the play, if not making the tackle. On passing plays he was double teamed often by the OT and a RB. If he got past the OT the running back was in trouble. I only saw a few triple teams and triple teams neutralized Clowney.

How would Jadeveon Clowney fit in with the Rams? I know DE is our strength. Let's speculate anyway, because you know Snisher is speculating. Because of Clowney size, speed, and reactions, the Rams could play Clowey anywhere along the Defensive Line. Like I said earlier, Clowney is very effective against the run. He can stay low on running downs. On passing downs imagine a four man line of Long, Clowney, Brockers, and Quinn.

Or you could play Clowney at strong side linebacker in certain situations. I saw him do it on tape. Greg Williams is known for his creative blitz packages. Clowney would be a terror blizting from the strong OLB spot. Plus he can move from sideline to sideline like Ogletree, except at Jadeveon at 6-6 272 4.50 is bigger and faster than Ogletree! Take my word for it when I say, he can fight off offensive line blocks better Ogletree or J. Laurinatis. Don't get me wrong! I love our linebackers. I do, I do. Muah Ogletree. xoxox JL

Should the Rams draft Clowne? After watching film, my feelings wouldn't be hurt if the Rams drafted him at #2. I give Houston a 35% shot at drafting Jadeveon. He's not dropping past #2. #3 is the lowest I can imagine him going. GM's have seen the same film, I saw, and I guarantee you he won't be there at #4. I've also watched a lot of film on Anthony Barr and Khalil Mack. Clowney is way better than those two. If I can know that, than Snisher know it too. Jadeveon Clowney is the best defensive player in the draft. Hands down. After watching film I can only imagine 2 player the Rams would target in the 2-4 range. Jadeveon and Sammy Watkins.

If Jeff Fisher and Les Snead want to collect elite future hall of famers, then Snisher must consider Clowney at #2! Playmakers! We want playmakers QB's are out of the question. If Fisher's has never drafted an offensive lineman in the first round, what makes you think he would draft a OT in the first 6 picks. Snisher want's playmakers. Behind Snisher's closed doors I'll bet the discussion is between Sammy Watkins and Jadeveon Clowney. Or more likely trading down for valuable extra picks. Jadevon Clowney is a little immature, but the Manster is only 21 years old! Give him a break, and watch NFL NETWORK broadcast Clowney workout. I'm sure Jadeveon will knock it out of the park. Tune in and watch Wednesday NFL Network Jadeveon TV. And comment on what you see!

Last edited by a moderator:

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This report would be much easier to read if both the grammar and the syntax made sense.

* And if you could spell "Jadeveon" correctly.
I am sorry. I just joined this site a few moments ago. I am in over my head. I am not up to the standards of Ramsondemand, so I will absquatulate this site.

Last edited:

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I am sorry. I just joined this site a few moments ago. I am in over my head. I am not up to the standards of Ramsondemand, so I will absquatulate this site.
No need to quit the site due to someone having a grumpy day. That's how he is most days!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Not sure what flipper's reaction was about but ignore that. I'm sure you'll learn to love ROD as most of us do. I liked the post. Welcome aboard!! we need @Alan to welcome you properly

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

Welcome aboard!

And some days I can't even spell my own name correctly. Thanks for the nice work.

Psycho_X

Legend
I enjoyed the post a lot. I'm on the wall with Clowney and reading other people's positive reactions to watching him makes me more comfortable with grabbing him if we do. Not that I doubt his physical attributes but his mental due to the media. But also the fact that it's not a position of need. I do like the thought of Williams thinking of ways to get him, Long, and Quinn on the field. As far as motivation goes if anyone can get him motivated it's Fisher and Greg Williams.

And it's an internet forum. I usually type very fast and with little thought into what I'm typing so make grammar and spelling mistakes all the time. And I don't give a shit if someone has a problem with it so I wouldn't care if I were the OP.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Please don't leave, Enabling Ewe, we need someone with intelligence! and good reporting!

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Good report; I think since he can "write well" that he may be more than average intelligence from teh NFL perspective. Teh flip of the letter is really interesting to read.

PhxRam

You are welcome. I personally asked for ewe to come here and that type of behavior doesn't sit well with me.

If posters want to act that way let me know now so i am not wasting time banning posters later.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I'm an o line guy but someone posted a sammy Watkins video a week or so ago and he really impressed me. Now this scouting report on clowney.

I don't know what to think anymore

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm an o line guy but someone posted a sammy Watkins video a week or so ago and he really impressed me. Now this scouting report on clowney.

I don't know what to think anymore

Ive lost track of who I'm even rooting for anymore... can't we have all 3

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't say I'd be upset with any of our options at 2

My sentiments exactly. This is the first draft I can remember that I can honestly say ill be happy with whoever we get. Usually by this time I have MY guy and am heartbroken if he's not the pick.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am starting to lean Clowney. I feel strongly about Mathews too, and worry more about the oline than the dline... But Clowney is a man-beast.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Doubt is creeping into my mind about who is going to be the first pick, but I don't think we can go wrong. We are in such an incredible position, thank you Washington.