Jadeveon Clowney gaining steam as Texans' No. 1 pick /NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I just dont see how they could pick a QB. There isn't much seperation between them and the second round guys at all.

iced

then you must not watched vs dallas,san francisco,seattle. our qb had no time.Do you know when Long is coming back fom his acl and mcl tear? Do you know if hes going to come back at the same level of play? You dont know so how can you say were set at tackle? Yes Saffold can play left tackle. hes ok but thats about it. if the rams view him as a pro bowl G thats where they should keep him at. Barksdale is overrated in my opinion. Hes the 25th best Rt. Theres only like 31 teams so that would make him one of the worst. so in my opinion Watkins would be a luxary pick

barksdale was much better than you give him credit for.. Long will be back by the start of the season - some people continue to make something out of this thats not even though the timeline is not unrealistic and he's progressing as scheduled in his rehab. Just like i can't predict his absolute return - you can't predict that he won't hold up or return to same level of play either. Can you tell me that Robinson isn't going to be a liability in pass pro? You can't even show that he was great at it in college like a Matthews was. It's a huge question mark, and a big gamble at 2.

That and we might not have a LT some games.
Only missed 1 last year..but irregardless - there's no one at WR the position that has played at the level Jake Long has at LT. Jake Long was sniffing the pro bowl - the WR group doesn't even deserve an honorable mention as a pro bowl alternate.

Granted, I'm playing up the current state of our O-Line a bit for effect.

I just don't believe that with the Rams painful lack of o-line depth and the fragility of three of our four current starters that they can afford not to address the line before receiver.

It's not like Matthews or Robinson are a couple of bums. They're elite talents that could be long-term solutions at a problem area. Neither would remotely be a reach at 2.

While they won't score many touchdowns or rack up too many sacks, their contribution could be just as valuable long term.

And I don't believe the rams have anything at WR - both starting and depth (outside tavon). There isn't a single "elite talent" or any one who plays at a high level...

I mus admit - every time someone says "Protect the sam" and they say take robinson, it gives me a chuckle... He scares the hell out of me at LT, and reminds me a lot of Jason Smith.

A55VA6

Legend
There's some steam with the Texans and Khalil Mack, too. Mack is a better fit than Clowney in the Texans defense. Texans are leaving their options wide open and probably won't make a decision until right before the draft.

The Bus

UDFA
Name
Chad
then you must not watched vs dallas,san francisco,seattle. our qb had no time.Do you know when Long is coming back fom his acl and mcl tear? Do you know if hes going to come back at the same level of play? You dont know so how can you say were set at tackle? Yes Saffold can play left tackle. hes ok but thats about it. if the rams view him as a pro bowl G thats where they should keep him at. Barksdale is overrated in my opinion. Hes the 25th best Rt. Theres only like 31 teams so that would make him one of the worst. so in my opinion Watkins would be a luxary pick

Theres a thing in the NFL called HGH... have ya heard of it? long will be fine.... Trust me... and don't talk about my boy Barksdale like that, he hops on the ROD once in a blue moon. Respect.

Do you feel drafting Robinson or Mathews at number 2 is gonna make the huge difference? I don't.... I'd rather pick up some other linemen and have another weapon like Watkins..

now your looking at this receiving core...

Tavon Austin
Sammy Watkins
Stedmen Bailey
Kenny Britt
Chris Givens

Comonnnn son..... Draft some other big ass country boy for the line in the later rounds.

The thought of Tavon and Watkins on the same team makes me light up

a new age Torry Holt and AZ-Hakim. LETS GO
rams nation son!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Best choice for the Texans honestly.. they can get a good QB in the 2nd round.

Said the teams that picked these guys;

Andy Dalton (Bengals), 2011
Colin Kaepernick (49ers), 2011
Jimmy Clausen (Panthers), 2010
Pat White (Dolphins), 2009
Brian Brohm (Packers), 2008
Chad Henne (Dolphins), 2008
Kevin Kolb (Eagles), 2007
John Beck (Dolphins), 2007
Drew Stanton (Lions), 2007
Kellen Clemens (Jets), 2006
Tarvaris Jackson (Vikings), 2006

A lot more "misses" than "hits". In fact, it might be a stretch to say 2 of these guys were hits.... Less than 20% hit rate.

iced

A lot more "misses" than "hits". In fact, it might be a stretch to say 2 of these guys were hits.... Less than 20% hit rate.

but look at the trend - they started to hit on them....although look at the qb's that went in the first 2011...more busts there

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
but look at the trend - they started to hit on them....although look at the qb's that went in the first 2011...more busts there

I didn't look at the first rounders. Just the seconds.

iced

I didn't look at the first rounders. Just the seconds.

I know - but some draft classes are loaded more than others...look at the "year of the qb" draft (marino, montana, aikman, etc)

A55VA6

Legend

True, but this year no one really sees any of these QB's as the clear cut best QB in the draft. Each team may like somebody different. My guess is they go Clowney at #1 and hope someone they like falls to them at #33. It's risky, but for any team it would be hard to pass on Clowney.

If I was the GM of the Texans I would be torn between Clowney and Manziel and I'd probably surprise everyone and draft Johnny Manziel. There's something about him, got a feeling he's gonna be good.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True, but this year no one really sees any of these QB's as the clear cut best QB in the draft. Each team may like somebody different. My guess is they go Clowney at #1 and hope someone they like falls to them at #33. It's risky, but for any team it would be hard to pass on Clowney.

If I was the GM of the Texans I would be torn between Clowney and Manziel and I'd probably surprise everyone and draft Johnny Manziel. There's something about him, got a feeling he's gonna be good.

agree with the manziel point..thats how ive always felt about him. Not sure what it is, but I just think hes going to shut a lot of people up

Only missed 1 last year..but irregardless - there's no one at WR the position that has played at the level Jake Long has at LT. Jake Long was sniffing the pro bowl - the WR group doesn't even deserve an honorable mention as a pro bowl alternate.

You're assuming Jake Long will be healthy, which is fine, assuming you're right.

If you're wrong we have no have no LT as good as Justin Veltung let alone any of our other receivers. If you're willing to take that risk fair enough, I only ask that you be consistent in your assessment of Sammy Watkins, if he isn't up to Pro Bowl standard in his first year then throw him under the bus also.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
agree with the manziel point..thats how ive always felt about him. Not sure what it is, but I just think hes going to shut a lot of people up
I get kind of a Brett Favre feeling about him. Not sure he's the most sound QB but he will do shit to make things happen. A lot of the time it will have a good result. I just wouldn't be surprised to see a few 4 INT games along the way.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

It's not like he missed a game early in the season or even mid season. True - he missed only one(+) game. But it was the last game and he hasn't played since being operated on. Remember the "simple" knee scope with Wells? IIRC - he was due back for the end of TC. Then he was due back for pre-season. Then he was going to play in the last couple of pre-season games. He started 7 games that season?

I hazard to say that an ACL/MCL is a much more serious problem. It is in his right knee too. My understanding is that while the left leg is the main plant knee, the right knee takes more of the shock. Maybe @DR RAM could weigh in on that.

iced

You're assuming Jake Long will be healthy, which is fine, assuming you're right.

If you're wrong we have no have no LT as good as Justin Veltung let alone any of our other receivers. If you're willing to take that risk fair enough, I only ask that you be consistent in your assessment of Sammy Watkins, if he isn't up to Pro Bowl standard in his first year then throw him under the bus also.

i am consistent with my grade of watkins - but i also don't view LT as a position as need. Fisher has almost always has a veteran o-line.. if you think i'm off base here - consider who he's brought in....wells, long - and paid them handsomely... And most importantly produce,at a high level.

And I would go out of my way to say that Watkins would more than likely out produce all the starting receivers not named Tavon.. then again - it's not like we're setting the bar high either..

this is always one thing that kind of baffles me - The Rams have a top 5/10 player at LT, they don't have one at WR. In fact, the receivers rank in the bottom half of the league - and if you go by who's listed at #1, he's 31st/32nd. Chris givens and hakeem nicks were the only starting receivers who did not even record a touchdown last season..

i am consistent with my grade of watkins - but i also don't view LT as a position as need. Fisher has almost always has a veteran o-line.. if you think i'm off base here - consider who he's brought in....wells, long - and paid them handsomely... And most importantly produce,at a high level.

And I would go out of my way to say that Watkins would more than likely out produce all the starting receivers not named Tavon.. then again - it's not like we're setting the bar high either..

this is always one thing that kind of baffles me - The Rams have a top 5/10 player at LT, they don't have one at WR. In fact, the receivers rank in the bottom half of the league - and if you go by who's listed at #1, he's 31st/32nd. Chris givens and hakeem nicks were the only starting receivers who did not even record a touchdown last season..

So what you're saying is that we either have a top 5/10 LT or we have a LT who wouldn't start on a lot of college teams depending upon how lucky we get.

Who lists Givens as our #1?

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to find a photo I took at the AZ game in Glendale when Clemens got sacked for a safety and post it. I was in the second row in the end zone and the player that sacked him was untouched. It was brutal. The o-line looked manhandled and the Rams looked rough all day. That showed me we can't get to the next level with the o-line that we have. Maybe that was just one game and they had our number that day. On that play when the safety happened, Clemens should have called a timeout or had Zac block for him so he could get the play off. The Cards played really well on D that day. On a positive note, in person, Jake Long looks like fricken Paul Bunyan! Freaky huge and towers over everybody. Guys like him are far and few between. Glad we have him.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It makes sense that Clowney is taken at #1 - IMO I don't think there's a must-have QB in this year's draft - I just can't see that #1 guy - I wouldn't be surprised that they pick a QB in R2 and see how they go. BUT - I have a sneaky suspicion that this is all hype and they'll trade down from #1 to a team that REALLY wants (and needs) Clowney. They will have more value if the other team thinks the Texans want him too....

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I'm glad we have J. Long too, but what do we really have? Sure, he's a great LT when he's on the field but he has not completed his last 3 seasons. Seems more like a trend than coincidence at this point. IMO, especially in our division, it would seem irresponsible not to draft an OT early in this draft, regardless of how talented S. Watkins may be.