Jadeveon Clowney gaining steam as Texans' No. 1 pick /NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jadeveon Clowney gaining steam as Texans' No. 1 pick

By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...eon-clowney-gaining-steam-as-texans-no-1-pick

Concurrent with a report that quarterback-needy teams are strongly considering passing on a signal-caller in the first round, South Carolina pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney is picking up steam as the presumed Houston Texans pick at the top of the 2014 NFL Draft.

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain projects Clowney to the Texans at No. 1 overall in his latest mock draft.

McClain's prediction is noteworthy for several reasons, not least of which is that he has been as plugged-in as any beat writer in the country.

Up to this point, he had steadfastly maintained that the Texans would draft a franchise quarterback in the first round.

McClain's change of heart comes less than two weeks after Clowney wowed onlookers with a phenomenal pro day workout. Perhaps that performance sealed the Texans' belief that the Gamecocks star can excel in the hybrid outside linebacker-defensive end role that former Patriots star Willie McGinest mastered in Romeo Crennel's defensive scheme.

There's a theory making the rounds in draftnik circles that Clowney is shutting down private workouts because he's already been told that he will be the No. 1 pick.

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah, Charles Davis and Bucky Brooks all have Clowney going to Houston in their most recent mock drafts.

If the Texans subscribe to the notion that quarterbacks are slipping, they would in turn be gaining confidence that they can pick up their future field general with the first pick in the second round.

They can't afford to pass on a difference-maker of Clowney's talent level. As Portland has learned the hard way, missing out on a transcendent athlete can alter a city's destiny.

Memphis Ram

Legend
John McClain changing his tune will now probably have Clowney going #1 overall in every mock draft going forward.

The Bus

UDFA
Name
Chad
and have no quarterback and still be the shitty texans... word, welcome sammy to the rams.. hopefully :) forget OT at pick 2... lets be real

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
and have no quarterback and still be the crappy texans... word, welcome sammy to the rams.. hopefully :) forget OT at pick 2... lets be real

Watkins will look really cool running down the sideline while Bradford is laying in a heap in the backfield because our patchwork OLine couldn't protect him.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Clowney is the best player in the draft. Somewhere along the line we lost sight of that due to our o line woes. he was always going 1st overall

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Or told he'd not slip past #2. Just saying.

iced

Watkins will look really cool running down the sideline while Bradford is laying in a heap in the backfield because our patchwork OLine couldn't protect him.

we're only missing a Guard - not 2 tackles, a center, and 2 guards.

Which apparently we have the best pass blocking center in the nfl - grade wise...

but this "bradford is gonna be killed" if we dont go T is ridiculous - bradford has been pretty well protected in his past 2 seasons, especially off the edges. the problem is the interior

Which apparently we have the best pass blocking center in the nfl - grade wise...

but this "bradford is gonna be killed" if we dont go T is ridiculous - bradford has been pretty well protected in his past 2 seasons, especially off the edges. the problem is the interior

That and we might not have a LT some games.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler

Granted, I'm playing up the current state of our O-Line a bit for effect.

I just don't believe that with the Rams painful lack of o-line depth and the fragility of three of our four current starters that they can afford not to address the line before receiver.

It's not like Matthews or Robinson are a couple of bums. They're elite talents that could be long-term solutions at a problem area. Neither would remotely be a reach at 2.

While they won't score many touchdowns or rack up too many sacks, their contribution could be just as valuable long term.

A55VA6

Legend
Best choice for the Texans honestly.. they can get a good QB in the 2nd round.

lockdnram21

Legend

then you must not watched vs dallas,san francisco,seattle. our qb had no time.Do you know when Long is coming back fom his acl and mcl tear? Do you know if hes going to come back at the same level of play? You dont know so how can you say were set at tackle? Yes Saffold can play left tackle. hes ok but thats about it. if the rams view him as a pro bowl G thats where they should keep him at. Barksdale is overrated in my opinion. Hes the 25th best Rt. Theres only like 31 teams so that would make him one of the worst. so in my opinion Watkins would be a luxary pick

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And here I thought this thread was about Clowney. Silly me.

It would make a lot of sense for him to be shutting down if the Texans told him they were taking him. It would also make sense for the Texans to tell him this if it's true. Why would they want him out there potentially getting injured if they have already made that decision? The problem with this theory is that it is really unnecessary for them then to keep it a secret. That would likely just piss off the other GMs waiting to negotiate trades. I'm guessing they are not going to just screw with the other GMs out of some kind of game that will end up biting them in the ass in subsequent negotiations.

I have to figure that there has been no actual decision made by the Texans and they are still waiting for an offer that moves them off that #1 spot. Maybe they have told him that IF they are still in the #1 position, they will take him.

Clowney has to know that he can't really do any more to push up his draft stock. Why risk injury?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
And here I thought this thread was about Clowney. Silly me.

It would make a lot of sense for him to be shutting down if the Texans told him they were taking him. It would also make sense for the Texans to tell him this if it's true. Why would they want him out there potentially getting injured if they have already made that decision? The problem with this theory is that it is really unnecessary for them then to keep it a secret. That would likely just pee pee off the other GMs waiting to negotiate trades. I'm guessing they are not going to just screw with the other GMs out of some kind of game that will end up biting them in the ass in subsequent negotiations.

I have to figure that there has been no actual decision made by the Texans and they are still waiting for an offer that moves them off that #1 spot. Maybe they have told him that IF they are still in the #1 position, they will take him.

Clowney has to know that he can't really do any more to push up his draft stock. Why risk injury?
Exactly, even if the #2, or #3 team told him that, why would he continue. The only way he would go up, or down, has nothing to do with his physical acumen. There have been plenty of players that didn't work out for teams out of the top ten, what Clowney is doing, or not doing is not earth shattering, especially since at his pro day, stayed long after other players, and got worked out unscripted by coaches, including our own DL coach, Wauffle.