Jacob Harris tears ACL and MCL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Chances are good that they've already got some specific guys in mind to add or bring up for depth that can step in and be at least adequate. I mean, there was panic when Long looked like shit and both Williams and Rochelle got hurt. Then "poof!" here comes D. Deayon off the PS. Who? Exactly.

Have some faith and try to relax my dudes. I realize that this will be a doom & gloom vent week, but the Rams weren't going to go 16-1 with no injuries.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Time to raid some PS's. Short on picks next yr so grab a couple young guys this yr to develop since we have another open roster spot. For example Cornell Powell, WR KC, was a 5th rounder this yr... Decent size, special teamer type with upside.

I'd be after a RB. Hendy just can't handle the pounding man.

I really feel like RB is a big problem for us. So if we're gonna raid a PS that's the first position I'd target and I'd be after someone with some power in his run style.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I don't understand the panic in some of you. He was a special teamer. He's had what 3 snaps during the season? Lol. I mean even if someone did get hurt I doubt he would he the guy we call on.
Who's panicking? Definitely not me, facts seem to highly indicate the Rams will look more closely at WRs since the depth isn't as good right now. Odell will be looked at no matter what anyone thinks. There's a tiny chance it could happen but they might just elevate or sign someone else too. It'll be fun to watch as usual.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

I really feel like RB is a big problem for us. So if we're gonna raid a PS that's the first position I'd target and I'd be after someone with some power in his run style.
It seems that McVay does handle him with kid gloves so Hendo doesn't get hurt. It's always interesting to see that he doesn't 100% trust him, hence why we see Sony giving him a break from time to time. Not a bad strategy honestly.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Agree, another RB would be nice, but it seems every RB they pick up for the PS is a little guy. Would kill for an AJ Dillon type to switch it up.

oldnotdead

Legend
The starting 3 WRs are intact. They have Skowronek and Koksi behind them. Koski has Robert Woods type speed (4.5) and good height at 6'1". Benny Sko has already proved himself a decent possession receiver. So they are 5 deep at WR.

So no reason to panic. Koski will be returning kicks and probably punts. They also have Landen Akers on the PS who can expect to be called up if needed. Koski and Akers looked very good in TC and pre-season so in essence, they are 6 deep at WR.

The need is at RB. They shouldn't count on Akers being back this year. That would be rushing him and that would not be good for him or the team. If the Rams sign someone IMO it will be a RB. Henderson is playing hurt. When you do that you expose other parts of the body to injury as you compensate. Buddy Howell looks pretty average. I would expect them to perhaps sign a RB like TJ Yeldon who as a vet could come in and play immediately. He's a big RB with good speed who probably would come cheap.

Expecting Akers to return by January, in shape to play is asking a lot just 5 months after an injury that averages closer to 10 months when rehab is included. So IMO WR isn't a priority.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't share your confidence that losing three roster guys at wr, one vet and even two rookies, doesn't matter much.
I guess you hopped in the conversation without reading the rest of it because I clearly said losing Jackson hurts our depth. And it does matter….but mostly because we lose a year of development for two rookies.

They were drafted or signed and on the team for a reason.
Yes this is obvious. I believe it was to POTENTIALLY develop not contribute/replace any of the starters this year.

And now we're one injury to a starter away from a real problem and impact to our passing game.
See this is where you really lose me….you’re saying and NOW we’re one injury to a starter away from a problem/impact on our passing game. As in prior to Jacob Harris going down we weren’t one Kupp/Woods/Jefferson injury away from an impact to our passing game? Idk if people just buy into the hype of our draft picks immediately but there’s no guarantee Atwell/Harris even know the offense or would have been called on to start there very well could be someone on the PS more “ready”. If you don’t realize that losing cooper kupp would be a real problem and impact to our passing game with our without Harris/tutu idk what to tell you.

Maybe we can replace them with other bodies from practice squads or unsigned players, but personally I am much less confident of that.

You use the word replace what exactly are we replacing? What did we lose? What level of production are you not confident in replacing now that we lost tutu/Harris?. It makes sense that you’re not confident in players from the PS because like me, you probably don’t know who the hell they are. Dont’e Deayon is playing well. .

It also makes showing Jackson out the door seem a bit short sighted at the moment. Even though he asked for it.
I wouldn’t say short sighted…forcing an unhappy Jackson to stay on the roster would do more harm than good imo. But once again yes Djax opting to leave impacted our depth as well our game plan (at least situationally) because he was someone who was expected to contribute this year.

These moves and transactions are never as linear as they appear

bluecoconuts

Legend
The starting 3 WRs are intact. They have Skowronek and Koksi behind them. Koski has Robert Woods type speed (4.5) and good height at 6'1". Benny Sko has already proved himself a decent possession receiver. So they are 5 deep at WR.

So no reason to panic. Koski will be returning kicks and probably punts. They also have Landen Akers on the PS who can expect to be called up if needed. Koski and Akers looked very good in TC and pre-season so in essence, they are 6 deep at WR.

The need is at RB. They shouldn't count on Akers being back this year. That would be rushing him and that would not be good for him or the team. If the Rams sign someone IMO it will be a RB. Henderson is playing hurt. When you do that you expose other parts of the body to injury as you compensate. Buddy Howell looks pretty average. I would expect them to perhaps sign a RB like TJ Yeldon who as a vet could come in and play immediately. He's a big RB with good speed who probably would come cheap.

Expecting Akers to return by January, in shape to play is asking a lot just 5 months after an injury that averages closer to 10 months when rehab is included. So IMO WR isn't a priority.

Definitely no reason to panic in terms of WR depth, but I think that Harris' size could have made for some interesting packages had McVay wanted to do so, which makes the loss a bit of a bummer. However at this point it's hard to say if he would end up doing that since McVay hasn't really done so yet, which I think is probably his biggest fault, but that's another point really.

While I would also like more RB depth, I don't think they're really rushing Akers back, people heal differently, and Akers does look good in his rehab so far. I think that's sort of a best case scenario thing, obviously things can get reaggravated, as we saw with SJD. Even if he is activated for the playoffs, my guess is that we would still be primarily leaning on Henderson, he's proven he can make a difference on the field, next year we'll hopefully be able to go back to Akers getting a bigger bulk of the carries with Henderson spelling him, or getting in some two RB packages.

When it comes to our RB depth, I don't know who they could sign that would really be much of an impact player, TJ Yeldon isn't really someone that I would want to pick up personally. At this point I'd probably be more willing to give Gurley another shot for half a season.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I don't think there are many, if any, that are panicking about the loss of Harris. Some of us just like the kid and want to see what he can do, and are hopeful that, combining his athletic freakishness with the ability of this staff to get the most out of a majority of our pass catchers (sit down, Brycen Hopkins), that Harris can be developed into a serious weapon at some point. This injury sets back the timetable on that.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
He was probably wearing the wrong cleats for the surface. Rookie mistake.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I guess you hopped in the conversation without reading the rest of it because I clearly said losing Jackson hurts our depth. And it does matter….but mostly because we lose a year of development for two rookies.

Yes this is obvious. I believe it was to POTENTIALLY develop not contribute/replace any of the starters this year.

See this is where you really lose me….you’re saying and NOW we’re one injury to a starter away from a problem/impact on our passing game. As in prior to Jacob Harris going down we weren’t one Kupp/Woods/Jefferson injury away from an impact to our passing game? Idk if people just buy into the hype of our draft picks immediately but there’s no guarantee Atwell/Harris even know the offense or would have been called on to start there very well could be someone on the PS more “ready”. If you don’t realize that losing cooper kupp would be a real problem and impact to our passing game with our without Harris/tutu idk what to tell you.

You use the word replace what exactly are we replacing? What did we lose? What level of production are you not confident in replacing now that we lost tutu/Harris?. It makes sense that you’re not confident in players from the PS because like me, you probably don’t know who the hell they are. Dont’e Deayon is playing well. .

I wouldn’t say short sighted…forcing an unhappy Jackson to stay on the roster would do more harm than good imo. But once again yes Djax opting to leave impacted our depth as well our game plan (at least situationally) because he was someone who was expected to contribute this year.

These moves and transactions are never as linear as they appear
If you want to rationalize the loss of three receivers on the roster, all of them ahead of the guys on the practice squad, all of whom had talent and playmaking ability, all of whom practiced and trained with the team, go right ahead. And be as non-linear as you want. You can hypothesize better potential performance from the practice squad all day long. The reality is the Rams in a week or so just lost an enormous amount of depth at wr.

No one to my knowledge has claimed that there is anyone who could replace Kupp. But if we lose Kupp or Woods, or even Jefferson, I would have preferred for the Rams to have Harris or Jackson, or yes even Atwell, as options to go to in some fashion or for some plays. We drafted/signed them precisely to have more fire power and potential explosive plays at wr. Last year we didn't have it. And when Kupp went down we struggled to make plays downfield against Green Bay.

Obviously we didn't see Harris much at wr. But Harris is an elite athlete who was consistently making pro level receptions downfield in camp especially on routes where his speed and/or height make him a problem to defend. Imo it would have been better if McVay had played him more. But that doesn't mean he wasn't learning the offense or couldn't play. Didn't see much of Jackson either though he showed early in the season he could still break open deep routes and make big plays.

Think we might have used those guys in games, including playoffs, if Kupp or Woods went down? Imo yes, we would have. They're playmakers. Will someone from the practice squad be able to potentially make plays of the same calibre? I doubt it.

I would be happy to be wrong but imo our passing game is now at much greater risk of taking a big hit from any further injuries.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you want to rationalize the loss of three receivers on the roster, all of them ahead of the guys on the practice squad, all of whom had talent and playmaking ability, all of whom practiced and trained with the team, go right ahead. And be as non-linear as you want. You can hypothesize better potential performance from the practice squad all day long. The reality is the Rams in a week or so just lost an enormous amount of depth at wr.

No one to my knowledge has claimed that there is anyone who could replace Kupp. But if we lose Kupp or Woods, or even Jefferson, I would have preferred for the Rams to have Harris or Jackson, or yes even Atwell, as options to go to in some fashion or for some plays. We drafted/signed them precisely to have more fire power and potential explosive plays at wr. Last year we didn't have it. And when Kupp went down we struggled to make plays downfield against Green Bay.

Obviously we didn't see Harris much at wr. But Harris is an elite athlete who was consistently making pro level receptions downfield in camp especially on routes where his speed and/or height make him a problem to defend. Imo it would have been better if McVay had played him more. But that doesn't mean he wasn't learning the offense or couldn't play. Didn't see much of Jackson either though he showed early in the season he could still break open deep routes and make big plays.

Think we might have used those guys in games, including playoffs, if Kupp or Woods went down? Imo yes, we would have. They're playmakers. Will someone from the practice squad be able to potentially make plays of the same calibre? I doubt it.

I would be happy to be wrong but imo our passing game is now at much greater risk of taking a big hit from any further injuries.

We’re just way off on the way we see things and that’s fine. I disagree with pretty much everything you just said so I’m gonna just bow out I don’t feel this topic is important enough to spend this much energy on :cheers2:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't understand the panic in some of you. He was a special teamer. He's had what 3 snaps during the season? Lol. I mean even if someone did get hurt I doubt he would he the guy we call on.
I was interested in his potential and he seemed to be contributing on STs.. but I just didn't see him coming in and making any real contribution on offense this season.

More of a ST problem than anything else.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
By the way.. if there was ever a time to bring Trishton Jackson back... it's now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agree, another RB would be nice, but it seems every RB they pick up for the PS is a little guy. Would kill for an AJ Dillon type to switch it up.
Yeah McVay definitely favors the speed backs who can catch the ball a bit and do some all around type RB contributions. But what he needs is a younger CJ type who can rumble. This offense looks amazing with a power back threat.

Stump23

Rookie
Every single team seems to have lost a key player so far this year. Nature of the beast. It's who will be the best at overcoming these challenges. AZ--no Kyler/Edmonds did very well, SEA-no Wilson not so well, CLE-no Chubb did great with D'Ernest. That's just off the top of my head, every team has gone through this issue this year......we have great depth. Sure we could use a bulldog RB but who? Frank Gore has boxing gloves on now. I know he's older than dirt but man he could drive a pile when necessary.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s fine. Mcvay said never say never so there is that.

As far as depth. Who are The Rams actually missing?

Depth is Ben Sko & JJ Koski.They both had more NFL snaps than Harris or Funk ?

If your talking rookies then maybe Bobby Brown starts to get his head straight produce.

Did you really think Atwell was going to be productive? I went to training camp & reported about the 2 wr’s above looking good.

That’s my 2 cents.
Atwell? Me? Never liked the pick, never expected much.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Atwell? Me? Never liked the pick, never expected much.
Once again fair enough. I think Blanton will see the ball Monday Night.Koski & Sko will show up a little,but after the bye week I this group will settle in.