Is this the "no excuses acceptable" year for you?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Changing something for the sake of change doesn't get you anywhere - we've been bad for 10 years and we've had loads of different coaches try and turn this ship round.
Martz was the last legit HC we had here before Fisher...and even Mad Mike was a greenhorn.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Martz was the last legit HC we had here before Fisher...and even Mad Mike was a greenhorn.
Vermeil was the last legit head coach, IMO, and not Martz. Martz made monumental mistakes.

Mart WAS a great OC.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Hmmm. M'man, you've already set the stage for excuses.

1. "IF" Bradford comes back healthy for a full year
2. "IF" we have a solid draft
3. "IF" the OL holds up

I agree that those are pivotal for success, but I'm not down with having any more excuses at my disposal to explain away the shortcomings. I know nobody can control those things, and I know that the absence of one or more of those things limits our chances for success, but I'm already looking past that. I want this team to have the ability to TRANSCEND those things. Maybe it's a pipe dream to think we can get to the next level in spite of those hurdles, but that's where I am right now. If Bradford goes down, then Hill better be the next (lol) Trent Dilfer. If some of the O-line gets hurt, then Boudreau better have the backups ready to throw down. And if there are injuries on defense, then we better have a strategy in place that accommodates the strengths of who/what we have left. Just ... no more excuses.

I just get the feeling that we're extremely adept at explaining failures now. I'd rather that burden be lifted from me (and everyone else).
Whatever it takes, it's time to take the crown. Just find a way to do it no matter what happens. That's all I'm asking.

I guess the reality is I don't have a ton of faith that beyond the star starters we can win if things go south. Do you?

I would love to have no excuses and feel 100% confident that we can compete with anyone. But the reality is we are still a little talent short of the niners and hawks. Yeah, I FN hate saying that but it's the truth.

If you want me to say without any other changes needed we will be a playoff team? Shit man, as much as I freaking love this team I can't say it. Why would I? We haven't proved it in 10 years.

I don't want to have any more excuses either. But the fact is we WERE the worst team in a 5 year span and that doesn't change overnight. I'm caught between being a realist and being a diehard fan that is sick and tired of losing. Just like you bro.

FWIW- I actually love the Hill signing and think we have a much better chance with him than Clemens.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Vermeil was the last legit head coach, IMO, and not Martz. Martz made monumental mistakes.

Martz WAS a great OC.
I agree Doc but i didn't feel like opening a shitstorm. :LOL: I sugar coated it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I guess the reality is I don't have a ton of faith that beyond the star starters we can win if things go south. Do you?

I would love to have no excuses and feel 100% confident that we can compete with anyone. But the reality is we are still a little talent short of the niners and hawks. Yeah, I FN hate saying that but it's the truth.

If you want me to say without any other changes needed we will be a playoff team? crap man, as much as I freaking love this team I can't say it. Why would I? We haven't proved it in 10 years.

I don't want to have any more excuses either. But the fact is we WERE the worst team in a 5 year span and that doesn't change overnight. I'm caught between being a realist and being a diehard fan that is sick and tired of losing. Just like you bro.

FWIW- I actually love the Hill signing and think we have a much better chance with him than Clemens.
We have gone far in finding NFL talent at our starting positions, but we started from almost scratch. All of these draft picks, need time to develop, and nobody HITS on everyone. We just have to hit on a good percentage of them, luckily Snead has increased our chances through trades.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
We have gone far in finding NFL talent at our starting positions, but we started from almost scratch. All of these draft picks, need time to develop, and nobody HITS on everyone. We just have to hit on a good percentage of them, luckily Snead has increased our chances through trades.

I agree Doc. That's the hard part about what X is saying. I feel the same as he does but I also have to be realistic. We've improved greatly in talent but they are also still very young and need time to grow. That's the problem, it's hard to be patient when you want to win so badly. We all do..

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
This subject is pretty easy for me.

Barring prohibitive injuries, if we don't win at least 10 games this year it's because Bradford sucks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Barring prohibitive injuries, if we don't win at least 10 games this year it's because Bradford sucks.
Boo.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Lord knows I'm due. But here I sit and if the Rams don't reward me this year, I will believe next year. Still - this regime needs to produce this year. Not sure if the playoffs is an end all litmus test of that production but I am expecting it and I sure as hell hope Stan is as well.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

If you want me to say without any other changes needed we will be a playoff team? crap man, as much as I freaking love this team I can't say it. Why would I? We haven't proved it in 10 years.

We're not that far off. I'm just a little closer to intolerance than you are. And that's cool. I admire you for being as patient as you are this year as it relates to the things that could potentially keep us from reaching our goal. I think I've just reached my limit after these past 10 years, and am looking for a payout. Maybe the fact that the Seahags have done what we set out to do has pushed me over the edge? I dunno. I think I've just reached my threshold. I like to think that I'm surgical with my ability to rationalize the reasons for failure, but I'm kinda tired of taking on that role. I'm at the point where I'm looking to tell people that they got pwned by the Rams DESPITE the things that other fans feel were THEIR reasons for failure. Does that make sense?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I love you, man!
I love you too man! I'll follow you into that shitstorm...wait, i need to take a TIME OUT first. Oops i've got to call ANOTHER ONE. Hang on...Hey! I CHALLENGE that this post was the WRONG FORMATION to use so close to the goalline. Nevermind, i can just CONVERT you into something you're not because i like the way you POSTED in college.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
We're not that far off. I'm just a little closer to intolerance than you are. And that's cool. I admire you for being as patient as you are this year as it relates to the things that could potentially keep us from reaching our goal. I think I've just reached my limit after these past 10 years, and am looking for a payout. Maybe the fact that the Seahags have done what we set out to do has pushed me over the edge? I dunno. I think I've just reached my threshold. I like to think that I'm surgical with my ability to rationalize the reasons for failure, but I'm kinda tired of taking on that role. I'm at the point where I'm looking to tell people that they got pwned by the Rams DESPITE the things that other fans feel were THEIR reasons for failure. Does that make sense?
Dude, or The Dude, we are trending up, what sucks is that we've had regimes which have sold our souls, instead of keeping their eyes on the prize. I, for one, truly believe, and they've done nothing but prove to me, that they are building things the RIGHT way, and not the way that fans, and media want. This is Fisher's first dance, as far as being the man, it is well documented that he didn't have enough say in the past. This is his baby.

I trust in Fisher. I really do. If he fucks us...I will kill him personally:whistle:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

That's like saying, "If my car blows all four tires, Mazda sucks."

I'm on the fence about Bradford now too, but I'm not willing to throw the team's failures on him (before the season even begins) either. How would you feel if the defense gave up 30+ points a game, and special teams ranked 30th in the league? Would that be Bradford's fault too? I think you need to reevaluate how you're willing to gauge the season's successes/failures, and how it relates to his individual performances. You're kinda painting yourself into a corner here.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

Everything you say and feel makes perfect sense. To be honest, there are games I watch and go absolutely nuts. When we lose because of stupid penalties, mistakes, etc.; I just think how in the world can we STILL be doing the same things every year. Like you, I get tired of telling people "yeah but". No more of that crap. I'm in no way OK with losing. I guess I just have learned to focus on other things like my daughter when things with our team aren't good. I mean after 10 years I think you do kinda go numb to it.

But I'm with you, I would love nothing more than to be able to go back to the feeling of the GSOT days. You know, when you KNEW the team we were playing was about to get bitch slapped up and down the field. Oh how I want that again so bad. I guess I have to take back a little of what I said. I do actually think our depth is way better than it used to be. In fact, I think last year proved that. Even with some injuries we still competed for the most part. So yeah, no matter who suits up and starts needs to man the F up and kick ass. Period.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
There should be nothing comfortable about being numb. And that's the real danger. This is what I feared after Fisher was hired, that after the extremely poor seasons the Rams had before him, that 7-9, 8-8, 9-7, would become the new normal. Yeah, it's better than what we had but as a fan it's still unacceptable.

Owners, front offices, coaches, players, and even some fans get used to mediocrity and consider it normal. Witness the Lions, Browns, and any other mediocre team you can think of. Being half-assed becomes acceptable. When they do have a winning season they don't know how to sustain that winning tradition.

We can knock the Patriots all we want but they don't tolerate losing, at least not for long. I'm encouraged that rumor has it that the Rams organization is using them as a model for how to change the losing culture that settled in during the Linehan/Spags era.

Is three years enough for Fisher/Snead to put that plan into action? That's up for debate. Personally I'm in it for the long haul no matter what but I'd like to see this team make noticeable progress this coming season. The only one who knows for sure whether this is the
"no acceptable excuses" year is Stan Kroenke, and he ain't talking.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Everything you say and feel makes perfect sense. To be honest, there are games I watch and go absolutely nuts. When we lose because of stupid penalties, mistakes, etc.; I just think how in the world can we STILL be doing the same things every year. Like you, I get tired of telling people "yeah but". No more of that crap. I'm in no way OK with losing. I guess I just have learned to focus on other things like my daughter when things with our team aren't good. I mean after 10 years I think you do kinda go numb to it.

But I'm with you, I would love nothing more than to be able to go back to the feeling of the GSOT days. You know, when you KNEW the team we were playing was about to get bitch slapped up and down the field. Oh how I want that again so bad. I guess I have to take back a little of what I said. I do actually think our depth is way better than it used to be. In fact, I think last year proved that. Even with some injuries we still competed for the most part. So yeah, no matter who suits up and starts needs to man the F up and kick ass. Period.
AnE-BRO-HUG.gif

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Interesting take. So if Bradford plays the best season of his career and it is still not good enough, it is his fault if we don't achieve 10 wins, no matter what else happens. Got it. Are we missing some blue font somewhere?

I guess I put a little more of this on the coaches. Coaches come in and make teams achieve. We've seen it time and time again. SF is a pretty good example. I can't stand Harbaugh but he took a team and with most of its existing pieces, took them to the playoffs.

Our biggest problem right now seems to be timing. We are clearly getting better at the same time as our division is not only the best in football but looking to be even deeper next year. Say all you want about it getting us ready for the playoffs but teams like NE largely pranced through half their regular season games and went into the playoffs and SBs practiced up but not ripped to shreds. It's part of what I think makes Seattle's victory even more astounding. They played a lot of great teams last year and still had enough to dominate in the SB. That should be scary to anyone paying attention.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
That's like saying, "If my car blows all four tires, Mazda sucks."

I'm on the fence about Bradford now too, but I'm not willing to throw the team's failures on him (before the season even begins) either. How would you feel if the defense gave up 30+ points a game, and special teams ranked 30th in the league? Would that be Bradford's fault too? I think you need to reevaluate how you're willing to gauge the season's successes/failures, and how it relates to his individual performances. You're kinda painting yourself into a corner here.
Good to see you in here again X. I would've dusted had i known you were coming...sorry.