Is this the "no excuses acceptable" year for you?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not talking about anything other than season-ending record here. Everyone here has suffered through a decade of unacceptable results (2003 was the last winning season of course), so has anyone else reached the conclusion that this season represents the formula for achieving critical mass? We're about a year behind Seattle in terms of rebuilding, so this has to be the year to take it all as far as I'm concerned. If they can do it, I mean ... c'mon.

I'm a patient man, but I'm not without my limitations. Not that I can do anything about the end result, but seriously ... it's time for a little reward for the loyalty. The defense is stout. The QB is talented. The WRs are more than adequate, and the O-line just needs to be tweaked. The only thing needed to propel ourselves into the upper ranks is coaching and a little bit of luck.

If this year isn't the year that we take more than 10 games, I'll be sorely (SORELY) disappointed.

Am I alone?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there are always reasons worth considering. If we get ravaged by injuries, it happens. And there's nothing much you can do to control that.

FRO

Legend
I think last year if Bradford had stayed healthy we go 9-7. The home game vs Seattle and the Tennessee games being the two we win. We have lost our LGs and our third CB. Both positions needed improving upon anyways. Our young guys will start the year knowing the system and what to expect, so we should see improvements from them. Add to that we have 3 picks in the top 45 in what's considered a very deep, good draft. There is no reason to believe we won't be better. I think 8 wins is the minimum, I expect 9 wins. Always hoping for more though.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think we're still a year away from being a team that can win a playoff game, and a couple years away from kicking the championship door in...but i expect at least a 3rd place NFC West record(finishing 4th again is unacceptable)...and a winning record overall(9-7 or better).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think there are always reasons worth considering. If we get ravaged by injuries, it happens. And there's nothing much you can do to control that.
I considered that, but anything short of 2007 or 2009 should be easier to overcome. There's depth now, and this is supposed to be the all-star coaching staff. I just don't want to find myself in the position of having to use THAT as an excuse again. Enumerating the players that were pivotal to success who were also unavailable due to injury. I gave "luck" as an ingredient for success; and that takes into account a relatively injury-free season, but I don't want to have to use that as an excuse anymore. If you want to be an elite team, you have to be able to overcome adversity. And again, it's all relative. As long as we don't lose the entire O-line (2007), or all of the QBs and receivers (2009), then everything else should be manageable.

Alan

Legend
-X- showing signs of a long layoff induced angst:
I'm not talking about anything other than season-ending record here. Everyone here has suffered through a decade of unacceptable results (2003 was the last winning season of course), so has anyone else reached the conclusion that this season represents the formula for achieving critical mass? We're about a year behind Seattle in terms of rebuilding, so this has to be the year to take it all as far as I'm concerned. If they can do it, I mean ... c'mon.

I'm a patient man, but I'm not without my limitations. Not that I can do anything about the end result, but seriously ... it's time for a little reward for the loyalty. The defense is stout. The QB is talented. The WRs are more than adequate, and the O-line just needs to be tweaked. The only thing needed to propel ourselves into the upper ranks is coaching and a little bit of luck.

If this year isn't the year that we take more than 10 games, I'll be sorely (SORELY) disappointed.

Am I alone?

Hello,
Is there anybody in there
Just nod if you can hear me
Is there anyone at home
Come on now
I hear you're feeling down
I can ease your pain
And get you on your feet again
Relax
I'll need some information first
Just the basic facts
Can you show me where it hurts

There is no pain, you are receding
A distant ship smoke on the horizon
You are only coming through in waves
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
When I was a child I had a fever
My hands felt just like two balloons
Now I've got that feeling once again
I can't explain, you would not understand
This is not how I am
I have become comfortably numb

I'll still enjoy next year no matter how we do but I'm not holding my breath that we'll live up to our potential.

F. Mulder

Starter
This is my Bradford year. I'm a huge fan of is but he needs to take two (not one) step forwards as a starting and winning caliber NFL QB. If not we move on.

I want to see this team play consistently from game 1 through 16. Last season the Defense started out really spotty and seemed to find their stride late. Let's get the scheme and personnel figured out early and make it work from the get-go. I get that there are always strategic and personnel adjustments but this team is too much like Sybill for me. I know they are young but get a starting 11 who can get it done from the get-go.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My expectation is 10+ wins, based on past results, what draft picks we've received, and development expected. I don't think it's an unrealistic target.

But... I'm also one of these guys that believes most things are "situational". So I can't say how I'll feel until the season plays out.

Injuries. The tuck rule. Spy gate. I mean, we aren't the Patriots where everything goes in our favor all the time... :sneaky:

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we surprise everyone and take the WEST and more.

V3

Hall of Fame
If they can't make the playoffs this year then I won't have much faith in the regime. They've had plenty of picks, FA money, and time. Unless practically the whole team gets injured, in not buying the injury excuse, either. I'm not as high on the team as most here but I'll wait and see what happens in the draft before I make my prediction for the season. But yes, put simply, it's do our die time in my book.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I have become comfortably numb
That's how I was up until the end of last year. I saw the vision and direction of Spagnuolo, and was totally on board before 2011 threw a huge wrench in the works (no matter how or why it went wrong, it was a good plan). I was also on board (fully) after Fisher took over, and figured it would take 3 years for him to get the team to where he wanted it before we'd see real results. Well, three years is here now, and I want my reward. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm a product of the 70's Rams (and the 7 straight division titles), but I'm done being a defender. I want to now be a braggart. It's time, and I deserve it. I'm at the point now where I feel a sense of entitlement is in order.

Restore my pride, Fisher/Snead/KD. You owe me.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I feel as you do Paul. The last couple of years have been somewhat of a letdown really. We all thought they would build on Bradford's rookie year but due to injuries, inconsistent play, etc., we didn't make the jump most thought we would. If we have another solid draft and Bradford comes back healthy for a FULL year I will be really disappointed if we're not in the playoffs or in the discussion the last couple weeks of the year. I just can't see our D NOT taking the final leap with Williams at the helm. There is also no reason for the offense (assuming the OL holds up) to take another step forward.

So yeah, if we don't make a good leap this year I'll probably break another remote or two. :mad:

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
That's how I was up until the end of last year. I saw the vision and direction of Spagnuolo, and was totally on board before 2011 threw a huge wrench in the works (no matter how or why it went wrong, it was a good plan). I was also on board (fully) after Fisher took over, and figured it would take 3 years for him to get the team to where he wanted it before we'd see real results. Well, three years is here now, and I want my reward. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm a product of the 70's Rams (and the 7 straight division titles), but I'm done being a defender. I want to now be a braggart. It's time, and I deserve it. I'm at the point now where I feel a sense of entitlement is in order.

Restore my pride, Fisher/Snead/KD. You owe me.

F n A bro.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I feel as you do Paul. The last couple of years have been somewhat of a letdown really. We all thought they would build on Bradford's rookie year but due to injuries, inconsistent play, etc., we didn't make the jump most thought we would. If we have another solid draft and Bradford comes back healthy for a FULL year I will be really disappointed if we're not in the playoffs or in the discussion the last couple weeks of the year. I just can't see our D NOT taking the final leap with Williams at the helm. There is also no reason for the offense (assuming the OL holds up) to take another step forward.

So yeah, if we don't make a good leap this year I'll probably break another remote or two. :mad:
Hmmm. M'man, you've already set the stage for excuses.

1. "IF" Bradford comes back healthy for a full year
2. "IF" we have a solid draft
3. "IF" the OL holds up

I agree that those are pivotal for success, but I'm not down with having any more excuses at my disposal to explain away the shortcomings. I know nobody can control those things, and I know that the absence of one or more of those things limits our chances for success, but I'm already looking past that. I want this team to have the ability to TRANSCEND those things. Maybe it's a pipe dream to think we can get to the next level in spite of those hurdles, but that's where I am right now. If Bradford goes down, then Hill better be the next (lol) Trent Dilfer. If some of the O-line gets hurt, then Boudreau better have the backups ready to throw down. And if there are injuries on defense, then we better have a strategy in place that accommodates the strengths of who/what we have left. Just ... no more excuses.

I just get the feeling that we're extremely adept at explaining failures now. I'd rather that burden be lifted from me (and everyone else).
Whatever it takes, it's time to take the crown. Just find a way to do it no matter what happens. That's all I'm asking.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
The year after is.

Honestly, I really have no clue what to expect from the Rams next year. Our LT and QB are coming off of ACL surgeries. Our offense I guess found itself with the ground game and Stacy. The offensive line is still very fragile overall regardless. We still don't know what we have at wideout. They're are concerns in the secondary, etc., etc., etc.

All that and not much has changed, except for another year of experience and a new DC. Two things that could play a huge part in this team being successful, but we don't know.

Now, it is the 3rd year for the new regime so there honestly should be no excuses, right? Well, yes, but no... At least in my opinion no. Reason being is the West is too strong. There isn't any amount of moves or coaching that you could do to knock off the Seahawks or the 49ers right now. Moves that can take you closer (see the Cards), but not enough to knock them off yet. Not much has changed with the Rams, but not much has changed with those teams either. In fact the Cardinals probably got a lot better with FA and just having another year under a new coach.

This is the reason I say the year after next. That is when FA starts hitting these 2 teams, and hitting them hard. http://overthecap.com/futurefreeagents.php?Team=49ers http://overthecap.com/futurefreeagents.php?Team=Seahawks This is when the Rams have to take over the reigns, and there's only one way. They have to draft/have drafted better than these teams and manage their team better.

Anything can happen at anytime though. That's the beauty of the NFL. It's almost impossible to predict the outcome of any season. It's also a league of no excuses EVERY YEAR. So, regardless of the outcome, the team will face the scrutiny. I'm not calling for heads to roll if we don't make it to the post-season this year, but I know a lot will, and I can't say they shouldn't or don't have reason to.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
No doubt I will be very disappointed if the Rams are unable to take another step forward and finish with a winning record this year. It sure would be nice to be mentioned in the same sentence as the Niners and Hawks without having the "last place in the west" tag at the end of the sentence.

I was also spoiled by watching the teams of the 60's and 70's and would like nothing more than to see a return to the dominant line play of those eras. How they address the O line in this draft will be telling.

I am still on board with this regime in that I believe in their long range plan. I just don't see them making a Jason Smith type error in the draft and/or loading up on over-the-hill vets in the false belief that they are closer to contending than they really are.

I really think we won some games in 2012 that we had no business winning from a talent standpoint and that goes directly to coaching. We'll find out this year if that coaching and much better talent level translates to a playoff appearance. I hope so but if not I will be OK with a winning record. Anything less will be very disappointing.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The year after is.

Honestly, I really have no clue what to expect from the Rams next year. Our LT and QB are coming off of ACL surgeries. Our offense I guess found itself with the ground game and Stacy. The offensive line is still very fragile overall regardless. We still don't know what we have at wideout. They're are concerns in the secondary, etc., etc., etc.

All that and not much has changed, except for another year of experience and a new DC. Two things that could play a huge part in this team being successful, but we don't know.

Now, it is the 3rd year for the new regime so there honestly should be no excuses, right? Well, yes, but no... At least in my opinion no. Reason being is the West is too strong. There isn't any amount of moves or coaching that you could do to knock off the Seahawks or the 49ers right now. Moves that can take you closer (see the Cards), but not enough to knock them off yet. Not much has changed with the Rams, but not much has changed with those teams either. In fact the Cardinals probably got a lot better with FA and just having another year under a new coach.

This is the reason I say the year after next. That is when FA starts hitting these 2 teams, and hitting them hard. http://overthecap.com/futurefreeagents.php?Team=49ers http://overthecap.com/futurefreeagents.php?Team=Seahawks This is when the Rams have to take over the reigns, and there's only one way. They have to draft/have drafted better than these teams and manage their team better.

Anything can happen at anytime though. That's the beauty of the NFL. It's almost impossible to predict the outcome of any season. It's also a league of no excuses EVERY YEAR. So, regardless of the outcome, the team will face the scrutiny. I'm not calling for heads to roll if we don't make it to the post-season this year, but I know a lot will, and I can't say they shouldn't or don't have reason to.

Good look-up Username! We're ascending and poised to compete 2014 and beyond!

Alan

Legend
If you are really in the "it takes three years to see what you have in a draft pick" crowd, then we should only have been seeing incremental improvements until year 4. I've seen that already. One of the most important ifs that wasn't on bwdenverram's list was this: "If we weren't in the best division in football." Take away 6 of the toughest opponents in football last year and what would our record look like? Does anyone really think that Indianapolis's record of 11-5 is really indicative of their ability? Were they even as good as us? 38-8 ring a bell?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I've never liked the term "excuses" in football discussion. It's a loaded term that automatically implies that any factors outside of talent causing bad results are invalid. I certainly don't like our recent performances, but when you automatically put bad performance onto players and/or administration lacking talent, you run a real risk of letting talent go because of bad circumstances and actually downgrading the team.

So, yeah, if we don't have a winning record this year, I'd have to ponder why exactly that happened first.

Just my opinion.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
There is never a excuse. Come out play hard and win.
Yes this the year they have to win.