Is Stefen Wisniewski still available?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Snead probably set a number and it is lower than Wiz wants. I recall Snead talking about free agency a while back and saying that is how you have to approach it or you lose. He is the same with draft picks. Set your own value and dont move far from it.

They could figure Rhaney is more athletic and will roll with him on the cheap. Rhaney had very high SPARQ scores for a lineman. He is a bit raw though.

Or draft a center. They may be able to get Erving or Cann round two or Galik round 3 r Garcia round 4. There is still other options that would be cheaper than overpaying a FA.

I'm not sure I agree with Snead on that.

IMO, you always have to be felxible. Maybe he overstated his strategy and he isn't as set in his ways.... but, if he is that set, I think it limits your ability to upgrade your roster.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't want to overpay by a lot... but, maybe set a margin on your number... like, if the counter is within 10% of your already established number, you pull the trigger.

I have no basis for this but I get this feeling like Snead is very inflexible in his appraoch to free agency and that's why we lose out on most of the top tier guys.

IMO, Center is a huge deal for the Rams... and filling it with the best available guy out there right now is worthy of overpaying to some degree.

How much? Well, let's just say you guys are lucky I'm not Snead :)

Trying to rely on a guy on the roster that hasn't hardly played or a green rookie is scary to me.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The rams have two guys that have never played center in the nfl and rhaney couldnt even practice all year. There is no way that those two are the solution or draft another guy who has never played in the nfl. That is a ton of inexperience at such an important position.
Can I "like" this ten times?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think its pretty overblown really. They pay the state tax during road games (outside of Florida) and its not like they don't pay Federal which is the big one
Not sure I understand. Do yu mean state sales tax?

Very different taxes, as I'm sure you know. Sales tax is a drop in the bucket compared to state income tax.

When you're making millions, no state income tax is a big deal.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure I understand. Do yu mean state sales tax?

Very different taxes, as I'm sure you know. Sales tax is a drop in the bucket compared to state income tax.

When you're making millions, no state income tax is a big deal.
State income tax. Players pay state income taxes in each state they play in. So if half Tampa's games are on the road, it's 8 game checks with no State Income Tax
And State income Tax is significantly less than Federal. Look at your own paycheck and see which one you wish you didnt have to pay

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I did not know that.

So, last year, the Bucs played away games with the Falcons, Steelers, Saints, Browns, Redskins, Bears, Lions and Panthers (again).

So each Bucaneer has to files state income taxes for Georgia, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, Ohio, DC (???), Illinois and Michigan, separately?

Wild... I'm no Accountant... do you have any information on this? It's interesting and something I never would have imagined... a bookeeping pain in the ass.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

IMO, you always have to be felxible. Maybe he overstated his strategy and he isn't as set in his ways.... but, if he is that set, I think it limits your ability to upgrade your roster.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't want to overpay by a lot... but, maybe set a margin on your number... like, if the counter is within 10% of your already established number, you pull the trigger.

I have no basis for this but I get this feeling like Snead is very inflexible in his appraoch to free agency and that's why we lose out on most of the top tier guys.

IMO, Center is a huge deal for the Rams... and filling it with the best available guy out there right now is worthy of overpaying to some degree.

Trying to rely on a guy on the roster that hasn't hardly played or a green rookie is scary to me.

It is too hard for us to say. Maybe Fisher, Boudreau and Snead all think that Wisneiwski isn't all that good. Maybe from the little bit they saw of Rhaney they figure it is worth taking the chance on Rhaney or the draft, unless Wisneiwski comes cheap. If they really are not crazy about the player (Oakland wasn't) then it probably makes sense for them not to overpay to get him.

Without knowing what their slant is it is tough to guess.

I do agree with you though that in some cases that hard stance has hurt or could have hurt the Rams. They apparently didn't like any of last years QBs enough to draft one. I would have taken one in round 2 instead of Joyner. Maybe Garapolo would have been a good choice. The Patriots apparently are very happy with him. So, is their ability to evaluate QBs bad or were they just too stubborn in thinking Sam would be fine, or that they are not going to budge on their evaluations of the QBs and take them higher than they feel they should be? Who knows?

I know this. I would love to have an hour Q&A with Fisher and Snead to find out how they think about these decisions. I know that there were not a lot of good FA guards available last year, but why did they ever feel comfortable relying on Davin Joseph, or even Wells for that matter. If they didn't want to draft a QB in round 2 why not an Olineman. There had to be some that would help the team more than Joyner did.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

I have to disagree with you on this to overpay for anyone is a bad move. It hurts the team more then helps the team. I mean look at the facts given since free agency has started how many teams that have spent and won free agency have won a superbowl in the following years

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is too hard for us to say. Maybe Fisher, Boudreau and Snead all think that Wisneiwski isn't all that good. Maybe from the little bit they saw of Rhaney they figure it is worth taking the chance on Rhaney or the draft, unless Wisneiwski comes cheap. If they really are not crazy about the player (Oakland wasn't) then it probably makes sense for them not to overpay to get him.

Without knowing what their slant is it is tough to guess.

I do agree with you though that in some cases that hard stance has hurt or could have hurt the Rams. They apparently didn't like any of last years QBs enough to draft one. I would have taken one in round 2 instead of Joyner. Maybe Garapolo would have been a good choice. The Patriots apparently are very happy with him. So, is their ability to evaluate QBs bad or were they just too stubborn in thinking Sam would be fine, or that they are not going to budge on their evaluations of the QBs and take them higher than they feel they should be? Who knows?

I know this. I would love to have an hour Q&A with Fisher and Snead to find out how they think about these decisions. I know that there were not a lot of good FA guards available last year, but why did they ever feel comfortable relying on Davin Joseph, or even Wells for that matter. If they didn't want to draft a QB in round 2 why not an Olineman. There had to be some that would help the team more than Joyner did.

Thanks... my only concern with regard to what's on the roster now and someone like Wiz is that you have a body of work to look at with Wiz.
I agree he's not "all world", but all accounts indicate he's a very reliable, solid Center.

Overpay for that? No, not by lots... but - IMO, I'd rather than than what's unknown* on our roster. In this case, I might overpay some...
* unknown meaning, in actual games played

bluecoconuts

Legend
State income tax. Players pay state income taxes in each state they play in. So if half Tampa's games are on the road, it's 8 game checks with no State Income Tax
And State income Tax is significantly less than Federal. Look at your own paycheck and see which one you wish you didnt have to pay

I'm pretty sure they pay state tax to their official home of residence, unless they change to the state they play in, or its the same state as where they're from.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm pretty sure they pay state tax to their official home of residence, unless they change to the state they play in, or its the same state as where they're from.

I always thought this was the case also. If the state they live in does not have state tax then they don't pay any to anyone. It is similar to when you order something through the mail. If you live in PA and the product is sold from there you are supposed to pay state tax. But when it is from another state you don't.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I always thought this was the case also. If the state they live in does not have state tax then they don't pay any to anyone. It is similar to when you order something through the mail. If you live in PA and the product is sold from there you are supposed to pay state tax. But when it is from another state you don't.

Same as the Army, guys from places without state tax (Texas might be one of them, Florida is, etc) didn't get state tax taken out on their Leave and Earnings statement, while guys who were from states that did, got them taken out. California got my state tax, guys from New York got NY state tax, etc etc. It had nothing to do with where you were at, all about your permanent home of record. We moved around a lot, went different places for training, changed duty stations, etc similar to athletes. I'd imagine they do the same sort of thing.

Most players taxes don't go to the state they play in, if that's indeed the case.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree... and that's what I thought as well.

Hoping Dieter can provide some links or something to it... he seemed quite sure of it!

Just seems so wierd to me.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap

With regards to State Income taxes, it is possible for a Rams player to end up paying 9 State Income Taxes....They could pay 8 games of taxes to Missouri and up to 8 different State Income Taxes depending on how the schedule falls during a given year. It is a big chunk of change considering they are getting nailed at usually the highest tax rate.

From prosportstax.com

State, City & Local Income Taxes: NFL players typically have income taxes withheld at the federal,
state, city and local level. A player may often be required to file in as many as nine states as well as at the
federal level. The amounts withheld for state, city and local taxes are generally deductible.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
NFL teams that can offer Free Agents NO STATE INCOME TAX are...

Dallas Cowbows
Houston Texans
Miami Dolphins
Jacksonville Jaguars
Seattle Seahawks

While the Tennessee Titans only tax dividend and interest income.

Texas has the highest property taxes in the Nation, so they screw you if buy a home in Texas...Home on the Range isn't all it's cracked up to be...So,

Do you think that the Missouri State Income Tax, plus local issues such as last night's Ferguson police shooting, might influence Ram Free Agent signings?

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With regards to State Income taxes, it is possible for a Rams player to end up paying 9 State Income Taxes....They could pay 8 games of taxes to Missouri and up to 8 different State Income Taxes depending on how the schedule falls during a given year. It is a big chunk of change considering they are getting nailed at usually the highest tax rate.

From prosportstax.com

State, City & Local Income Taxes: NFL players typically have income taxes withheld at the federal,
state, city and local level. A player may often be required to file in as many as nine states as well as at the
federal level. The amounts withheld for state, city and local taxes are generally deductible.

Thanks!

Well, that sounds like what Dieter said... man, I never would have guessed it.

I wonder if it's the same across all sports.... I seem to recall that some NBA players liked playing in Florida because of the tax benefits?

I know they play a lot more games than the NFL, but all things considered, I'd imagine the tax implications end up similar.

Yet, I seemed to recall NBA players wanting to go to Florida?

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Eliminate Missouri state income tax and replace with tax on legal pot. Beat that Texas!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

From prosportstax.com

Thanks, beat me to it.

Sorry to have de-railed the thread.
Let's sign this guy!!!

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Eliminate Missouri state income tax and replace with tax on legal pot. Beat that Texas!

I would be very envious! And I live in Texas...No way Texas could beat that! Plus we have the highest property taxes in the nation...
Ouch! I need some medicinal cannabis to cure my miserable, multiple thousand dollar property tax headache!

Don't eat the yellow snow! I can't see! I can't see! I can't see without my medicinal marijuana!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBpJgL8Aa5o

Inhale...Exhale...What the hell! Go get the WIZ!!!

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks!

Well, that sounds like what Dieter said... man, I never would have guessed it.

I wonder if it's the same across all sports.... I seem to recall that some NBA players liked playing in Florida because of the tax benefits?

I know they play a lot more games than the NFL, but all things considered, I'd imagine the tax implications end up similar.

Yet, I seemed to recall NBA players wanting to go to Florida?
NFL players get game checks. They get paid per game and pay state taxes in the state where they are playing any given week.
Totally different than other sports