Is Snead the right guy for a rebuild?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
When you're a shitty team and have too many holes to fill, you may approach the draft differently than when you're an established team with a winning record. Take less chances as opposed to going for the "upside" and "risk". When you're a better team there are less holes to fill. Would it surprise anybody if this year, they went with solid picks and we had nothing to bitch about between April and September? :biggrin: We're going to have 10 and Snead will wheel and deal his way into the 4th round.

2nd - #37 into #47 (trade down 10 spots and pick up a mid to high 4th?) - Edge
3rd - #69 - TE/RB
4th - around #116 - #121 - OL
5th - Comp pick? For SJD?
6th - 3 picks (Rams, Tenn, GB) + 2 comp picks, 3 if we don't get one in the 5th
7th - comp pick

10 could turn into 11, with 3 in the first 4 rounds. And they seem to find servicable UDFA's. Copeland & Brewer in 2019; Jonah Williams and Hoecht in 2020, Alaric Jackson in 2021......McCutcheon in 2022?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's true, but people also forget that Sean McVay had to sign off on Snead staying as GM, if it was not a match, McVay could have asked for someone else and the Rams would have made the move.
And we know from their comments they work together. By their own conversations McVay describes what he wants Snead gives him options and they work together on who's best. Fisher got scouting reports and picked the player. Quite a bit more teamwork with this duo.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But we did not have a winning record during that time, and the year before we went 4-12. We weren’t going anywhere until he brought in quality offensive vets (along with coaching).
We bought in 3 vets on offense I believe. And 1 of them was considered a jag. And if was Snead who found the coach

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
We bought in 3 vets on offense I believe. And 1 of them was considered a jag. And if was Snead who found the coach
I think Snead's the right guy but it's also fair to wonder what he's going to do this offseason.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
he better have san fran on his mind, cause that's who's gonna beat us in the west like little bitc&%$#@,s they could be defending champs. WE can't have that in Ram world. go rams

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
McSnead brought a 4-12 2016 team to 2 Super Bowls with one Lombardi. Yes, I think he can do it again.
History is a very good teacher. Snead has a proven known record of winning with McVay. I thought hard on this since @Tumak61 posted his question.

Snead's biggest test/challenge in his GM/McVay career era is now in full operation. Yes, he did turn this Org. around to be a championship team as so many members here keep repeating, but in doing all that he has accomplished it has come at a very big expense to present & future team resources & assets. Just how much damage to this team remains to be seen.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don't know about "big expense to present and future team reasources". We've traded away a lot of picks for established players. The talk has always been "the Rams are mortgaging the future". Every year. And every year we won until this year when the overwhelming number of injuries was unprecedented.

We gave up five 1sts, three 2nds, two 3rds, three 4ths, three 5ths and a 6th between 2017 and 2022 for Watkins, Cooks, Peters, Talib, Ramsey, Corbett, Stafford, Michel and Von Miller. Plus our 2017 draft was already missing a 1st and 3rd rounder (Goff). Just looking at the first 5 rounds over a 6 year period we gave up all the firsts (6), 3 seconds, 3 thirds, 3 fourths and 3 fifths.....18 total and still made 53 selections thanks to comp picks, trading away guys and trading during the draft. In those drafts (not counting 2022) we drafted 14 starters. That's almost 3 a year (Kupp, Johnson, Ebukam, Noteboom, Allen, SJD, Rapp, Gaines, Edwards, Scott, Akers, Jefferson, Fuller and Jones).

So now it's coming due? We'll have 10 picks (again) in this draft. A high 2nd and 3rd and 8 more in the 6th and 7th (with a possible 5th round comp instead of a three 6ths). Plus I'd bet money Snead will get into the 4th or 5th round via trade. In 2024 we have a pick in every round AND most definitely a couple of comp picks. What "future" has been compromised? Ramsey and Stafford are still here. Kupp and Donald too. Wagner, Jones, Akers, ARob, Higbee, so we have the core. And we have a number of young guys (Williams, Durant, Skowronek, Hopkins, Scott, etc) who look good. Hell even Tutu contributed this year! Get our OL straightened out, hit good on a couple of picks (read: EDGE!!!) and we ain't going nowhere (as far as downhill is concerned).

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
History is a very good teacher. Snead has a proven known record of winning with McVay. I thought hard on this since @Tumak61 posted his question.

Snead's biggest test/challenge in his GM/McVay career era is now in full operation. Yes, he did turn this Org. around to be a championship team as so many members here keep repeating, but in doing all that he has accomplished it has come at a very big expense to present & future team resources & assets. Just how much damage to this team remains to be seen.

I might not construe our two visits to the Super Bowl in 6 years as damage, but I do believe our team has reached a precipice in time with regards to our immediate future. The Rams have accumulated debt in their rise to this point, now we have reached a fork in the road, do we continue to pile on a debt that will come due one day soon, or will we learn to live more within our means and rely primarily on our draft ?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher brought in Snead and when given the chance, Snead had a part in bringing in McVay to replace Fisher

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't know about "big expense to present and future team reasources". We've traded away a lot of picks for established players. The talk has always been "the Rams are mortgaging the future". Every year. And every year we won until this year when the overwhelming number of injuries was unprecedented.

We gave up five 1sts, three 2nds, two 3rds, three 4ths, three 5ths and a 6th between 2017 and 2022 for Watkins, Cooks, Peters, Talib, Ramsey, Corbett, Stafford, Michel and Von Miller. Plus our 2017 draft was already missing a 1st and 3rd rounder (Goff). Just looking at the first 5 rounds over a 6 year period we gave up all the firsts (6), 3 seconds, 3 thirds, 3 fourths and 3 fifths.....18 total and still made 53 selections thanks to comp picks, trading away guys and trading during the draft. In those drafts (not counting 2022) we drafted 14 starters. That's almost 3 a year (Kupp, Johnson, Ebukam, Noteboom, Allen, SJD, Rapp, Gaines, Edwards, Scott, Akers, Jefferson, Fuller and Jones).

So now it's coming due? We'll have 10 picks (again) in this draft. A high 2nd and 3rd and 8 more in the 6th and 7th (with a possible 5th round comp instead of a three 6ths). Plus I'd bet money Snead will get into the 4th or 5th round via trade. In 2024 we have a pick in every round AND most definitely a couple of comp picks. What "future" has been compromised? Ramsey and Stafford are still here. Kupp and Donald too. Wagner, Jones, Akers, ARob, Higbee, so we have the core. And we have a number of young guys (Williams, Durant, Skowronek, Hopkins, Scott, etc) who look good. Hell even Tutu contributed this year! Get our OL straightened out, hit good on a couple of picks (read: EDGE!!!) and we ain't going nowhere (as far as downhill is concerned).

Fans think the draft and having a 10 picks is the end all be all for nfl teams.

Funny thing is they traded down from the 31st pick in 2019 and moved way down to get more picks. Which is what most fans screech for every year. But hey facts aren't important.

But hey lets celebrate the Lions and Jaguars for being .500 and may have a "shot" at the playoffs, after years of shitty seasons and top 5/top 10 picks. Super Bowl nah that's not important.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I might not construe our two visits to the Super Bowl in 6 years as damage, but I do believe our team has reached a precipice in time with regards to our immediate future. The Rams have accumulated debt in their rise to this point, now we have reached a fork in the road, do we continue to pile on a debt that will come due one day soon, or will we learn to live more within our means and rely primarily on our draft ?
The word I used "Damage" was with specific thoughts on the present situation this team is in with very few options on how to get this bottom-dwelling team back on the road to a winning season quickly.

I would had hope for more balance with more concern for the future of this team.

Snead does not have the team assets available to him in the 2023 off-season that he had in 2017.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Fans think the draft and having a 10 picks is the end all be all for nfl teams.

Funny thing is they traded down from the 31st pick in 2019 and moved way down to get more picks. Which is what most fans screech for every year. But hey facts aren't important.

But hey lets celebrate the Lions and Jaguars for being .500 and may have a "shot" at the playoffs, after years of shitty seasons and top 5/top 10 picks. Super Bowl nah that's not important.
It's not the amount of picks that matter so much. It's what you do with them. Here's a question.....would you rather have a first round pick, a second round pick and a third round pick in the lower half of the rounds or two 2nd round picks (in the upper half) and a high 3rd? I'd rather have the latter. Less risk, more options.

Having 10 picks isn't the end all, be all. But it is nice to have "options". We're projected to have six 6th round picks. We have an outside chance one of those 3 sixth round comp picks is a 5th. But even if it isn't, does anybody think we're going to get 3 starters there? Of course not. But we could find 1 and if we're really lucky 2 by year 2, along with a couple of depth players. And they have found some decent players low in the draft. Probably because they had multiple picks down there.....options.

Don't get me wrong, they need to hit in the 2nd and 3rd round this year. Edge is a priority and fortunately, that position seems to be deep in this draft. I'd also want TE or RB or both. But they've done that already (hit on their 2nd's and 3rd's). A couple of times. I just don't bye this doom and gloom about the bill is coming due for our "fuck them picks...all in for the SB...win now, screw the future" attitude. We still have a talented roster, even if we need to fill a few holes....though a couple might be filled by guys already on the roster.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Snead's the right guy but it's also fair to wonder what he's going to do this offseason.
I think that's fair. We're all wondering. But not all of us are questioning whether or not he can do something he's already done.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
He's a great GM/Contract guy for a reload or rebuild, perfectly fine for the Rams

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
People also often forget that Fisher had total control, we drafted who he wanted.
So, then Fish gets credit for those drafts??? I would imagine Sneads draft record looks far worse without AD, Gurley, Goff, etc on his resume.

I think people give Snead WAY too much credit for his drafting personally.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If Snead is our contract guy, he has some splainin' to do about all the dead money they piled up on released or traded players.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
If Snead is our contract guy, he has some splainin' to do about all the dead money they piled up on released or traded players.
If he is credited with Signing a free agent, wouldn't he be the contract guy or is that Demoff?