Is Snead the right guy for a rebuild?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
If Snead is our contract guy, he has some splainin' to do about all the dead money they piled up on released or traded players.
Snead is actually NOT in charge of our contracts.
Kevin Demoff is still in charge of contracts and of our heavy cap load or whatever our cap situation is but of course he works with McVay and Snead on need for the team versus risk but it worked for a Super Bowl and got us in another Super Bowl.

I haven't had time to read much of this thread but I think Snead is DEFINITELY the man for the job.

Just ask him and he'll show you his Super Bowl ring.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Don't forget the role Tony Pastoors plays. He is always mentioned when contracts and negotiations come-up.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Sign Baker & trade Stafford? Trade Ramsey for draft pick as well. Any chance of getting anything else back in return from trading for them ?

Yeah, you get more losses and a spot in the unemployment line…

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, you get more losses and a spot in the unemployment line…
I’d say for how many seasons? It’s always projection & what could be best in the long term or what’s best now.Forsight hindsight, & the now.
Right now The Rams just need to get back to there winning ways again.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Um, no offense to the original poster, but who did you think rebuilt this team from the ground up from 2012 on? Yes, Snead had some questionable picks, but he was a hell of a lot better than Devaney and - especially - Zygmunt. He got us Aaron Donald, Rob Havenstein, Tyler Higbee, etc.

And when Fisher backslid to a 4-12 record, when Snead could've easily been fired as well, why do you think McVay kept him on?

Snead knows how to find players, his scouting department is amongst the best, and when we rebuild, Snead's going to be there. As far as I'm concerned, McVay and Snead have more than earned leeway to make this team a winner, even if we have to rebuild a bit to get there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
@PARAM is SoRam's understudy
shocked-burn.gif

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I know man.

My post was for the prior few posters (take a read) who were discussing Snead and Demoff in that role.
For what it's worth, I know who our money guys are. I also have no doubt that it is Snead (and possibly McVay) who make the decisions as to who they offer new contracts to. Pastoors and Demoff are the guys who have to deal with the terms that are pretty much market driven. They do not deserve any blame for poorly conceived contract offerings. That is on the GM.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
For what it's worth, I know who our money guys are. I also have no doubt that it is Snead (and possibly McVay) who make the decisions as to who they offer new contracts to. Pastoors and Demoff are the guys who have to deal with the terms that are pretty much market driven. They do not deserve any blame for poorly conceived contract offerings. That is on the GM.
"We need this guy. Tell me if and who we have to release. Make it work."

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's not wrong to believe anything within reason. What "nuclear arsenal" did he have in 2017?
Good Question PARAM!

Sorry for my delay but I wanted to give you a good response to your question with what I said in my earlier post in this tread ref. Snead has far less of a 2023 Arsenal than he had back in 2017 when he turned this organization completely around.

First I need to state that I am much more impressed :startstruck::hug:with Snead's record in finding very good-fitting WWC's & UDFA's to backfill his roster than any of Sneads 2017 to 2022 draft hits.

DRAFT 2017 vs. 2023
This very good Snead skill will be greatly needed more than ever this offseason due to his 2023 draft capital being small. Snead's upcoming draft arsenal is minus 1st, 4th & 5th rd picks. In comparison to the 2017 draft beefy arsenal of a 2nd, two 3rds, two 4ths, two 6th & a 7th rd selections.

Salary Cap Funds 2017 vs 2023
In 2017 Snead had close to $40 million in salary cap funds to use in his arsenal. This upcoming offseason Snead has much less Salary cap funds over 95% less $$$ funds in his arsenal in 2023 vs. 2017. Spotrac says its $-3,051,153 in the red to pay 38 players

"Snead/Mcvay still must find a way to pay an entire 53-man roster plus a practice squad and L.A.’s “real” cap space is more like $3.4 million in the red".

It's very hard to track down how much of the future cap funds are already documented to be allocated to Ram players who are retired, who will be playing elsewhere, or who will be looking for work somewhere in the NFL.

Rams have been very busy pushing many of the top 10 Ram players majority of contracted $$$ funds into future yrs & way past their concluded contracts.

I believe it safe to state in the future $$$ compensation conversation /restructures that was used to sign many new UFA's in 2017 & following season after is not available to him in 2023. Thus Snead's ability to use this element in his 2023 arsenal is much less than in 2017.

I am sure I have left off other elements in Snead's working arsenal in this post that are less in 2023 than in his 2017 arsenal.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
DRAFT 2017 vs. 2023
This very good Snead skill will be greatly needed more than ever this offseason due to his 2023 draft capital being small. Snead's upcoming draft arsenal is minus 1st, 4th & 5th rd picks. In comparison to the 2017 draft beefy arsenal of a 2nd, two 3rds, two 4ths, two 6th & a 7th rd selections.
On the salary cap numbers, I believe your numbers.
On the draft capital, I disagree.

On March 9th, he traded Hayes and a 7th to Miami for a *6th.

He went into the 2017 draft with a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and a 6th and a 6th from Miami in the Hayes trade (6 picks). They received a 4th round Comp and a 7th round comp (8 picks total)

He traded his original 2nd and 5th to Buffalo for the Bills 2nd and the Chief's 3rd
He picked Everett with the Bills 2nd
He picked Kupp with his original 3rd and Johnson with the Chief's 3rd
He traded his original 4th to Chicago for the Bills 4th and Cardinals 6th (traded with our 4th comp)
He picked Reynolds with the Bills 4th.
He traded his 4th (comp) and the Cardinals 6th to the Jets for Tampa's 4th
He picked Ebukam with Tampa's 4th
He picked Smart with his 6th
He picked Rogers with the 6th he got from Miami
He picked Price with the 7th comp

So he had a pick in every round from the 2nd to the 7th going into the 2017 off season, received a 4th and a 7th comp and parlayed that into a 2nd, two 3rds, two 4ths, two 6ths and a 7th, trading before and moving up once, down twice during the draft.

He will go into the 2023 off season with a 2nd, 3rd, three 6ths and a 7th (6 picks). We're projected to get 4 comp picks (three 6th's and a 7th) to bring the total to 10 (one of those 6th's could actually be a 5th. SJD played a lot of snaps for LAC). And we'll see if he makes any trades to gain more picks or trade some picks to grab more players.

For sure he'll be wheeling and dealing during the draft, perhaps even before. So I feel pretty certain, we'll have draft capital fairly similar to 2017. Any free agents we acquire will change the needs in the draft.

It's going to be interesting but we can be sure some guys will either be released or restructed, maybe even traded.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
On the salary cap numbers, I believe your numbers.
On the draft capital, I disagree.

On March 9th, he traded Hayes and a 7th to Miami for a *6th.

He went into the 2017 draft with a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and a 6th and a 6th from Miami in the Hayes trade (6 picks). They received a 4th round Comp and a 7th round comp (8 picks total)

He traded his original 2nd and 5th to Buffalo for the Bills 2nd and the Chief's 3rd
He picked Everett with the Bills 2nd
He picked Kupp with his original 3rd and Johnson with the Chief's 3rd
He traded his original 4th to Chicago for the Bills 4th and Cardinals 6th (traded with our 4th comp)
He picked Reynolds with the Bills 4th.
He traded his 4th (comp) and the Cardinals 6th to the Jets for Tampa's 4th
He picked Ebukam with Tampa's 4th
He picked Smart with his 6th
He picked Rogers with the 6th he got from Miami
He picked Price with the 7th comp

So he had a pick in every round from the 2nd to the 7th going into the 2017 off season, received a 4th and a 7th comp and parlayed that into a 2nd, two 3rds, two 4ths, two 6ths and a 7th, trading before and moving up once, down twice during the draft.

He will go into the 2023 off season with a 2nd, 3rd, three 6ths and a 7th (6 picks). We're projected to get 4 comp picks (three 6th's and a 7th) to bring the total to 10 (one of those 6th's could actually be a 5th. SJD played a lot of snaps for LAC). And we'll see if he makes any trades to gain more picks or trade some picks to grab more players.

For sure he'll be wheeling and dealing during the draft, perhaps even before. So I feel pretty certain, we'll have draft capital fairly similar to 2017. Any free agents we acquire will change the needs in the draft.

It's going to be interesting but we can be sure some guys will either be released or restructed, maybe even traded.
Thanks for mentioning those possible Compensatory Draft Awards...

Rams can get a break from the bad luck they could be awarded two 5ths a 6th & a 7th. That's what Snead needs to be able to move up or down the 2nd & 3rd-day draft boards. Snead has great skills in this element, IF he has the draft arsenal tools to work with. Last thing the Rams need is Snead to be in a straight jacket going into the draft,

They also might hold out hope for DC Morris to catch a HC job thus the Rams would be awarded a 2023 3rd rd & a 2024 3rd rd selections.

Last edited:

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Didn't he rebuild in 2017? Did Fisher leave him a decent team?

Traded William Hayes. Allowed Britt, Cunningham, Keenum, McDonald and Kendricks walk in free agency.
Signed Whitworth, Sullivan, Woods, Robey-Coleman, Blythe, Tyrunn Walker, Conner Barwin and Kayvon Webster. Traded for Watkins.
Drafted (sans no 1st round pick) Everett. Kupp, Johnson, Reynolds and Ebukam (all 5 still playing)

Went from 4-12 to 11-5 and got the Rams in the postseason for the first time in a dozen years.

Then continued the rebuild and got to the Superbowl

Traded Ogletree, Austin and Quinn away
Traded for Cooks, Peters, Talib
Let Watkins and Trumaine Johnson leave via free agency
Signed Suh and Shields
Drafted (sans no 1st or 2nd round pick) Noteboom, Allen, SJD and Travin Howard
Then traded for Fowler during the season.

Went from 11-5 to 13-3 and won 2 playoff games but lost the Superbowl.

A 2 year rebuild? Absolutely. And then 3 years later won the Superbowl.

Is Snead the right guy for the job? Who in the hell would you like better? Besides it's not a rebuild. It's a tweaking because of their roster management that's all they need to do.
Never minding the difference b/t 2011 and 2012. From a doormat to a competitive roster in one off-season. Honorable mention to Fisher for being a coach that nearly always fielded competitive teams despite any talent deficiencies vis-a-vis the opponent.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Thanks for mentioning those possible Compensatory Draft Awards...

Rams can get a break from the bad luck they could be awarded two 5ths a 6th & a 7th. That's what Snead needs to be able to move up or down the 2nd & 3rd-day draft boards. Snead has great skills in this element, IF he has the draft arsenal tool to work with. Last thing the Rams need is Snead to be in a straight jacket going into the draft,

They also might hold out hope for DC Morris to catch a HC job thus the Rams would be awarded a 2023 3rd rd & a 2024 3rd rd selections.
Though I'm not anti-Morris, I wouldn't mind that one bit!!!